Philadelphia University

« See more reviews of Philadelphia University

Students, realize that college is your home for the next four years. Find a college that makes you feel comfortable and safe; yet gives you freedom to explore who you are and puts your independence at work (you can always depend on mom and dad over break). Give yourself a challenge and choose a school that might have multiple majors you are interested in. It is a lot easier to switch majors than to switch schools. When you finally find your school to make the most out of college, enjoy the corny social events they plan for freshmen...it may be silly/stupid but you can meet people and crack jokes with them while at the event. Get involved with organizations or at least go to events planned throughout the year...they are surprisingly very entertaining sometimes. Ultimately, be yourself, recreate yourself, and be who you always have dreamed to be. To the parents: support your child and do not give in when they call crying that they want to come home. Know deep down they are strong enough to do it without you and encourage them to stick with it, because in the end, they'll always come home.

Self-confidence, maturity, a creative and open mind, lasting friendships. These are just a few of the great things that I have gotten out of my college experience at Philadelphia University. I came in as a wide-eyed freshman, ready for a new experience, and I am graduating as a confident adult, head held high and feeling proud of the achievements I have earned over the past four years as a student here. I have learned a great deal not only academically, but also socially and environmentally. Philadelphia University has prepared me for the next chapter in my life, and it is because of the great dedication of the faculty and staff that I can be a proud alumnus of the school and have the confidence and motivation to make a difference in our world. The value that this school has added to my life is something that goes far beyond the tuition; it is something that can only be measured by the positive qualities and characteristics I have developed and will continue to cultivate in the next phase of my life. My experience at Philadelphia University is one that I will forever remember and cherish.

When I was little I always wondered where life would take me. Would I be a Medical Docotor? or a Firefighter? I was plagued with this question for years and well into my High School career. It wasn't until I started attending college that I was blessed with the knowledge of what I wanted to study and then do for a living. Which is to study Philosophy and then one day with a Ph.D teach at a four-year university. Thanks to the decision to further my education not only have I chosent the field that I want to study in but through my general education courses I have learned so much a bout the different fields of study such as Anthropology, Humanities and Sociology. I used to have a bad attitude about school when I attended High School I felt that what we learned was a waste of time and will never be helpful but I have become passionate about my education and I feel that college and further education is priceless. College is valuable because it not only helps individuals excell intellectually, but it also helps individuals grow and develop as people for a better tomorrow.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to focus on saving money and looking for scholarships to pay for college tuition and to shadow a student at the schools I was interested in. Currently, the biggest problem for me is paying tuition. I have to focus on so much when I am in school, such as the heavy workload, extra-curricular activities, friends and family, and worrying about how I am going to pay for school is very stressful and depressing. If I saved money while in high school and searched for scholarships I would not be in the financial situation that I am in now. Additionally, when I was going through the process of deciding on what colleges to apply to I did not shadow a student from any of the colleges. I gained knowledge about the schools from text and visuals on thier websites. I feel like if I shadowed a student, I would have gained a hands-on and first-hand experience of each college. Those experiences would have made my decision much easier and the process would have been less stressful.

Comfort. Comfort can be found within the group of friends you make, the family that has raised you, and the environment in which you live. Comfort must also be found within yourself. Making the right college decision is based off of what makes one the most comfortable, the most likely to flourish and grow as an individual with the opportunity to be one's self. In order to make the most out of the college experience, one must open their eyes to all walks of life and various opportunities. A University that allows such growth and opportunity is one that teaches beyond the classroom. I chose to attend a University far from home, in a large city, and with no familiar faces. It was one of the best decisions. It forced me to make the most of this incredibly different and new environment . Starting fresh helped developed who I am today and has made me comfortable with myself. Choosing a college should not be based on the wants of friends or parents but where the student feels the most comfortable and can grow into a professional adult on their own accord.

You first need to make sure the school is a perfect fit in terms of academic majors and requirements. Attending a school that specializes in your major is very imporatant. The next critical thing is the price to attend the school, attending the school needs to be realistic in terms of finances. Next is the size and location of the campus. You need to know whether you will be more comfortable at a smaller or larger school because class size and work load will have a great impact on your academics at a particular school. You also want the location of the campus to be in a setting and environment that you feel most comfortable with. It is also very important that after you narrow down your college choices you do campus visits and be sure the school really is what you expected it to be. After all of this and you find the perfect school next thing you should do is research on the school, academic program of your choice, and living arrangements so you will know everything you need to when it is time to move on campus and start your new college career.

While the obvious benefits of a college education can provide the means of obtaining a comfortable income and enjoying a higher standard of living, these aspirations are not the most durable characteristics of a college education. What I have learned from my college experience is to value those challenges that permit me to make good choices regarding what I want to be and ultimately do to better serve humankind. To develop a vision of possibilities for the future is a lifelong goal and the most valuable reason for attending college. College offers an environment where students learn to assume responsibility to discover the necessary courage essential for accomplishing what is truly important. My college experience has presented opportunities to reflect and explore in ways that have stretched my way of thinking. I have learned that implementation of mind and heart ardently distinguishes how an individual will best live life to the fullest and determines how one can incorporate the arena of work into a fundamental purpose for his/her existence.

When I was in highschool I could not think of any other thing I wanted to do but attend college. When I finally chose my school I was ready to indulge in the wealth of knowledge that I would be able to attain from being part of a huge generation destined to get a degree. The first day of Architecture School was absolutely rediculus but from there on I have only become a better person for those around me including: my parents, my relatives and my school. My views upon the world, because I have studied abroad, have changed so drastically that my views of the word college and experience is like amelioration. While the word has not changed physically, my own perception has become that of a monk who has only become wiser over time with the practice and dedication of an ideal which my school has taught me. This ideal of course is to be strong, persistent even in weakness and to have the knowledge in which to be able to succeed in todays world. It is this reason why I believe that it has been invaluable to attend college. It is simply IMPORTANT.

When you are seventeen, your world revolves around typical high school stuff - the prom, sporting events, parties, homework, friends, and family. It seems like such a daunting task to face the prospect of leaving everything familiar to you and choosing the right college and major out of hundreds of possibilities. As I prepared to make this major decision, I had to really look deep into my own life and determine exactly what was imprortant to me. Was it venturing out completely on my own and choosing a school several hours away, or was it being able to spread my wings but still within a comfort zone? My advice to high school students would be to: a) visit as many campuses as you can b) do what feels right for you, and not your friends c) choose a campus that has more than one major that interests you d) be true to yourself - only you have the power to know what makes you happy. Listen to yourself and realize that you will be choosing your destiny for the next 4-5 years. e) enjoy the process and learn from every experience - good or bad

From my college experience I have received many different gifts. I have befriended many new people, both students and professionals, from different social, academic, and economic circles. My creativity and academics has been challenged daily. I have played on many intramural teams or played in pick up games in the gym or out on the lawn.. I have learned how to use public transportation to go into the city for school and social events, which is a big accomplishment since I am not familiar with the system. I am also actively involved in an organization that is pertinent to my career choice. My first year college experience has been a valuable life lesson. I have made friendships and career related relationships that have and will affect me throughout my college and professional career. Both my classmates and professors have challenged me academically, socially, and creatively. I feel that all these experiences will and are making me a better person as a whole and preparing me for working in my chosen profession.