Philadelphia University

« See more reviews of Philadelphia University

Making the transition from high school to college was more difficult than I would have expected. There were many things that made this transition difficult, including the bigger work load, learning to manage my time properly, and being away from my friends and family. However if I could choose one thing to go back in time and tell my high school self it would be to not worry so much about planning my whole future. During senior year I was thinking not only about what college I wanted to go to and what major I wanted to pursue but also what kind of job I would have after college and where I would live. Since I have started college I have realized that I don't need to plan out every detail of my life right now and that I can take everything one step at a time. Knowing this during my senior year would have helped me to relax and could have saved me a lot of unneeded pressure and aggravation. I now understand that college is the stepping stone from high school to the "real world" and will help prepare me for the rest of my life.

So far I have only been in college for one year, but it has been the best year, educationally (not solely Academically) of my life. Of course I have learned a lot about new and exciting subjects, but more importatly I have learned a lot about myself. For example, I took a performace poetry class my first quarter at The University of Denver. On the first day, our assignment was to partner up with someone we didn't know and observe them as they described themselves to us. Then we had to act like the other person, based on our observations. My partner, Varinia, noticed that I fidget a lot. When she imitated me introducing myself, I became very aware of how I carry myself around people I don't know. After this, I was able to better control, or conceal in some cases, my anxiety. There have been many instances of this type of thing happening during my first year of college. Yes I love learning about really any subject, but I've found that the most valuble and helpful lessons have come from what I've learned about myself.

The first piece of advice I would offer to any incoming freshman is to actually research and visit as many schools as possible. I did not do this and ended up going through three colleges before I found the right one. I also believe that it is necessary to make as many friends freshman year as humanly possible as by the time senior year rolls around, you begin to wonder where your real friends are. The most important advice I have, though, is to go to class. Don't be the person that skips class twice a week or comes into class twenty minutes late every day. Other people don't like that; it's rude and distracting. You WILL actually learn something if you go to class, pay attention, and do a little bit of work outside the classroom. Don't be the person that everyone knows just from parties, be the person that everyone knows because they destroyed the curve or always have something interesting to say in class. Finally, go home every once in a while. Your parents miss you. I think.

My experience at Seminole State College has allowed me the opportunity complete a general education Associate in Arts degree. I began this degree many years ago and unfortunately was faced with a few personal crisis: death of my father, divorce, loss of employment and loss of my home. After years of waiting and personally battling with the choice to attend college again, I found that Seminole State College was the only way for me to advace myself in a career. This college has awarded me with the skills needed to advance myself within the field of education. I am now transfering to the University of Central Florida where I will focus on a degree in education. My goal is to become a Middle School Science teacher. This goal will help to support myself and my family in the future. I will be able to give back to the community by teaching others that by setting your goals high, and working hard, you can accomplish anything. I look forward to sharing story with my students in the future.

While a freshman at Philadelphia University, I have taken advantage of many great opportunities to grow as a person and a student. I have gained many leadership, and work related skills in the process. I am a more mature, responsible, self-confident, and academically prepared student and feel that I can face the challenges set before me in the next four to six years. I will continue to attend Philadelphia University to study Fashion Merchandising and plan to minor in Communications. As part of the curriculum, I intend to take advantage of the study abroad program to gain international exposure to the industry. I will need not only the theoretical knowledge from my academic program, but also practical work experience to achieve my goal of ultimately working in the fashion industry. I expect in five years I will be well on my way to a successful career and I couldn't have done it without the opportunities, support and guidance that Philadelphia University supplies.

To find the right college, I would think about the way you work and how you work in an environment. Make sure you are not going to a big school just to have the big social life, but go to the school you know will help you in your education and career in the long run. Make sure your school is well known in the field you want to go into and that the professors are well trained in their field. It is imperative that the professors are well trained in what they do because they are the ones that help you learn and guide you through your educational experience as well as finding the career that fits you the most. Aside from academic, pay attention to the social life going on throughout campus. Keep in mind that you want to have a college that promotes a positive social life without the need of drugs or alcohol and has many on-campus activities to get to know the students around you and different cultural and political views so that you become a well rounded person.

Faleesha, I know high school was a hassle, but college is no different. The bullying, the racial profiling, and the hardships you had to take in, sadly, really prepares you for the real world. You are in for another round of unfair judging; you have three roommates who will judge you, and they argue and are going to have some problems with one another. Don't be discouraged, just think of it as a lesson in patience. The procrastinating that you know you do, it needs to stop NOW. It's not a breeze here, so study. Don't try to fit in, staying up until 2am with friends, and skipping class. You know how texting and watching your online shows is like your life? That sucks, because that is a straight distraction. You think you have control in what you do, but you don't- well not full control. You are first generation, people have so much hope and promise in you. I believe in you, Faleesha. You made it out the hood, but you still have a way to go. Stay focused.

In order to find the right college, the student must first give the college a chance. If they just show up and decide it is not the right college, they could be missing out simply because they choose to not accept what the school had to offer. To really know if the school you have choosen is right for you it is important to make the most out of your available resources. Becoming involved in sports, clubs, and extra curriculars will help you become more involved in the school community and allow you to branch out and understand the full potential of the school. If you decide you are comfortable with those activities and feel as if your making a difference while getting the most out of your education, then your bound to be in the right place and heading in the right direction. So my advice would be to get involved and give everything a try before you turn it down, because you never know, you might discover something new about yourself along the way.

Don't be afraid to go out of town or out of state. Going away for school has been a great experience. It is hard to leave your friends and family, but it gets you out there and you get to meet people and have experiences that you might not have had if you had stayed close to home. Go for your dream, don't settle for a school just because it's cheaper or closer. I transfered half way through my college career so I could go to the school I really wanted to go to on the other side of the country. It is much more expensive than my old college, but I'm finally in the major I want to be in and headed toward a career I actually want. Make sure you really reasearch the schools, and visit the campuses. You can learn a lot about a school by taking the tour and looking at the students around campus. Don't be afraid to ask questions either and really think about it. You can always transfer, but it really is easier to find the right school the first time.

Sometimes, as a college student, all we can really think about it trudging forward. We’ve already made it through much and we’re so close to the real world that all we want to do is make that last push. But all great people are able to reflect on their past and realize the great obstacles that they have overcome. Just the other day I was remembering my first day moved onto the Philadelphia University Campus I had taken on a fever due to the high stress I was experiencing of being in a new surrounding. Would it be like my previous school where I dreaded the noise that buzzed around a supposedly elite crowd? All it took to be myself was realizing that everybody is in the same position as myself. No matter how different everyone is, you all share one thing in common – the unknown. Make an effort to really learn from everything that you come across. Take advantage of the advisors who provide you with the tools that will help you achieve your goals!