Philadelphia University

« See more reviews of Philadelphia University

Being in college has taught me a lot. I didn’t really know what I was in for until I actually felt the experience. Now that I’ve experienced the college life for almost a full year I know that it’s not easy but it’s also not as hard as it may seem. Out of being a first year student I have learned how to manage time. There are no longer parents here to tell you to go to school. It was a reality check because now you must get used to doing things on your own. I’ve had to teach myself how to study and stay on track. It is easy to get distracted by friends, and parties. I have also learned to be responsible to pay my tuition payment every month form my work study pay. Its not an easy transition but its needed. This is why college has been valuable to attend because it teaches you how to grow up a little. Being away from home and doing things on your own this will significantly help in you in the future living on your own.

I would definitely reconsider my dedication to the International Baccalaureate Program. Me believing it was too hard made me not take it seriously as I could've. Either I should have buckled down and do the work and be and enjoy the benefits of being a IB Diploma nominee, or choose another method of education best for me. I also would have not been so quiet like I was in high school. As a freshman, keeping to myself definitely made it tougher to build a place at my school during the next few years. Also, I would've saved up my money. Me looking back and thinking of small amounts of money i used overtime could have been saved up to become helpful in buying books or supplies for college. Overall, I would tell myself: Don't just think about doing something, go ahead and do it and don't even procrastinate in doing so. If you want change in your life, giving 100% in everything you do is the only way.

I wish I had explordered more of my major. I have an idea about wat I want to do and I enjoy what I'm working on in college but maybe if I had more to go on I could finally set myself on a career goal and focus myself. I also wish I had taken a few more AP exams, the passing grades would have come in handy for skipping certain required classes and I would be farther in my studies. I would have also liked to impress upon myself the importance of putting one's work ahead of entertainment. Procrastination has not been fun or something I have gotten rid of yet and maybe if I had started last year I would be better off. It would also have been nice if I had been a bit more outgoing, the first few weeks here I hadn't quite made a friend and I should have told myself to go out there and be friendly and find someone quicker. Otherwise, my transition into college has been one I have truely enjoyed.

Always consider what you enjoy doing the most as a job or career or what you believe is beneficial for you to learn, then choose a college with a curriculum that you know you can afford and will benefit from. Another thing to keep in mind is to visit the campus and make sure it is the lifestyle you would enjoy living in for awhile, and whether or not moving far away from home is the right choice for you. It helps to narrow down your choices then make a pros and cons list of each school based on education, facilities, expenses, location and extracurricular activities availabe to you as a student. Always meet with Faculty and students if you have the chance to get a true feeling of each school, if a student doesn't have anything appealing to say, it probably wont be a great learning environment. Staying away from schools known for partying, drugs and violence is always the best idea as well.

Dear Andrea, Right now, in high school, you have it made. You have tons of friends, get near-perfect grades, are in great shape from playing sports, and are involved in many school activities. You tell yourself that you will stay the same in college, but you wont. It is going to take time to get adjusted to college. You won't make friends right away, and you will be out of your comfort zone and shy. But that depression mood that you sink into, you need to snap out of it. Try to go to the gym and not pack on the freshmen fifteen that you currently have. Attend all freshmen events so that you meet people. And please, go to your classes. Your grades should be A's, not the B's you are going to recieve. Most importantly, you are paying an extreme amount of money for this school, so make the most of it. Enjoy your life, you can only live it once. Love, Andrea.

Attending college I have experienced what it like to live on my own. I had to learn how to budget my money and make smart decisions which would benefit me in the future. When many children get away from there parents they get out of control and influence others as well to party, drink, and smoke and school comes last. Seeing individuals such as those gave me a better insight on life. I realized the we are here by choice nobody forced us to come to college and a college education is what determines our future. I know I dont want to settle for less so I made it an obligation to sucedd in college. It is valuable to attend college because you discover who you are outside of your parents watch. As indiviual we often live up to our parents standards. I believe at college we experience what it is like to be on our own taking a step into the real world.

I believe that my college experience has opened my eyes a little more as to what to expect when I graduate from school. i have recieved my Associate's degree in Business from Community College of Philadelphia. That to me was a taste of how it would be for me when I enter a workplace of my career. Now i attend Philadelphia University and my major is Fashion Merchandising. Since i been in college, i realized that you have to work for whatever you want inife and there is no such thing as a free handout. I also learned from my college experience is to get my degree in something that i desire to do and make sure that that's what i enjoy doing. College is very inportant and is very valuable to attend because it will get you farther in life and you will also gain more knowlege, and you can never have to much education

My college experience has introduced me to great new experiences and people. Learining to balance school, social times, and work was the most important thing that I learned in college. Prioritizing is a key component, having a plan, knowing what you want and how you plan to achieve it. I went to a small college originally in Miami, where I learned the freedom that comes with college needs to be carefully handled. Working became an obstacle, it was something that felt necessary but was interupting my full potential. Now after a couple of hard earned experiences, I have realiezed I will need very little work, and get integrated in my new school. Being integrated is what will make the college experience worth it and have a good end result. I now have a good solid plan and the ambition to see it through.

The advice I would tell myself if I could go back in time would be to save money and create good study habits. Being in school now, I find myself limited or stressing over money issues. Not only for miscellaneous use, but I find times when I wish I saved up more money than I did for things like books and excess tuiton balances. I would warn myself that if I save money, then I won't have huge loans waiting for me when I graduate. Also, I would create good study habits because I have realized that college is not a breeze. If I do not study what the teacher says, most likely I will fail tests. Since tests count for most of your grade, you will fail classes and that is a waste of money. Good study habits help you understand topics dscussed in class and helps you recall information for tests better.

The advice I would give to myself would be start applying for scholarships before graduating college, take everything serious start college as soon as you finish high school and become someone very important for your mother, your sisters, yourself and future family. If you take this steps and advices you will accomplish in life everything you will need for mommy yourself and or vacations if you would like to because a part time job or a full time job in a fast food restaurant will not leave you what a degree and a professional career would leave you. A full time job would only leave you the money you need to pay for bills, food clothing and for the necessary things at home. Start everything as soon as possible and you will accomplish in life and college.