Colorado Springs, CO
Pikes Peak Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pikes Peak Community College

Janel

There is a variety of student in my school. There are students straight from high school, like myself and there are older students, like parents. I really like the attitudes of the students because they aren't there because they have to be, but they are there because they want to be so everyone seems to be eager to learn. Alot of tthe student want to get as much out of college as possible andjust as eager as they are to learn they are eager to help other classmates, even if they don't know them.

I began my senior year not knowing what college to go to or what I would be majoring when I started college. That lead me to decide to go to community college. At Pikes Peak Community College there is a 60-60 program, which means after you've completed the first 60 credits to earn your Accociates you can transfer them to a select college in state, and a few out of state. So I'm not limited in my choices for where I move on to after community college. That is what I really appreciate about my school.

If I was able to go back to myself as a senior in high school I would probably try to mentally prepare myself more and also research the classes and majors offered. College in some ways was easier to begin with, there were less classroom hours and you could choose your class times to an extent. I wish I would have looked more closely my senior year, when signing up for classes, for the classes offered for both of the degrees. I hadn't payed attention and an advisor for people with undecided majors or degrees told me to take a class that went with accociates of arts, when I decided later on to do an accociates of science degree. I took the class and struggled and it isn't gaurenteed to transfer. Also more research on what career would interest me would have been better because I could have gotten started knowing my major and degree from the beginning.

Deangelo

If I were to go back to talk to myself as a high school senior I would say to myself that I should visit as many colleges as I can and apply for as many scholarships and funds for college. I would also tell myself that college life is very different from high school and making the transition is a very important step once I have graduated with a diploma. I would also stress that I should take the ACT (and the SAT) in order to get into a very good college. Colleges look at ACT and SAT scores along with a high school student's grade point average (or GPA) so they can decide which students they'll permit on to campus. The last thing I should mention to myself is that going to college for the first time can be very intimidating and very stressful (especially when paying for college is thrown into the equation), however, the important thing for me to remember is to have fun in college, expand upon the boundaries of my life, and not to stress too much!

One thing I wish I would have known about Pikes Peak Community College is with the overall size of it. I am still overwhelmed by the atmosphere of the facility, but I think that the more I actually go to this place, the intimidation and anxiety that I currently feel will probably go away...

I am not sure if this is frustrating or not, but...The one thing that bothers me the most about Pikes Peak Community College is the fact that I have to advocate for myself and the responsibility is on me and me alone. So basically, the stress that I get from coming into the place is quite overwhelming...And I haven't even started a class yet...Not until this summer...

Kendall

?Don?t be angry at me. . .? responded the twinkling, blue eyed professor to his students the first day of class. ? I am not hard, the subject I teach is hard!? I would have digested this advice given by a teacher of such high recommendations in high school if I had the chance of recognizing the advantage it has in college. When I was younger, I was pessimistic, usually blaming the teacher for a grade I thought I should have received higher. When I walked into my college Biology class of Human Anatomy and Physiology, I realized most of my time would be devoted to this one subject. I would tell myself as a high school senior don?t blame the person for what you receive as an overall grade because how much you study is what you get out of the class. If I wish to receive an A, I will study for 30-40 hours a week. Do not blame the teacher for giving their knowledge of the subject to the students. ?The teachers passed the subject obviously, its not impossible!? (Jessica, 01/21/10)

What I consider the worst at my school is communication with the online classes. To succeed, both student and instructor need to be respondent with eachother. Many difficulties occured with homework or tests trying to be turned in or a certain question asked to recieve an answer the following weeks when the subject did not matter any more. Of all, communication with online classes would help extremely both student and instructor.

There are no following fustrations with the school I am now attending.

Laura

If I went back in time knowing what i know now, theres only one thing that comes to mind. "Do what feels right to you", First of all no mater what you say or teach a person about college or real life its up to them to learn it. For example I was always told by oder friends and family that in order to achieve anything you have to try. Of course I realy didn't know what "trying" felt like so i tried to brease my way through everything, turns out you really do need to try your absolute hardest to achieve what you want in school and in life. We as people have an instict or "gut" as some refer to it as. This "gut" is what tell us whats wrong and wht right, If you follow your "gut" or what feels right, you will end up where you are now. No matter how terrible or great "now" may seem, Its the path you chose and the path you should be proud of.

The kind of person who is either indecisive about what field of study they would like to go into, or the person who knows what they want to achieve in both their career and in life. If you are indesisive here is pleanty of help along the way. Otherwise If you know what you want Pikes peak community college will point the way for your masters in your specified field.

The school is a comfortable environment, not only is it small but the aministration and faculty are very friendly. I like the fact that the school if covered with the studends art, I enjoy viewing the art on the way to my classes. And most of all, the fact that there is a school there for me to attend and higher my education.

Gabrielle

My classmates are a wide range from age to professions to learning abilitys.

My classmates are a wide range from age to professions to learning abilitys.

If i could go back there are only a few things i would do differently. First i would tell me to save more of my paychecks for school, but not all you need to have some fun. Next i would tell myself to go to college right after school it really wont hurt to start classes before you know what your major might be. The most important advice iI would give my self is to stay with Eric and marry him as we did. He wont get in the way of school and it makes going a little easier because you dont have to deal with parents., as well as help support you while you go to school. Just trust yourself and don't second quess everything you do know what you want in life.

The most fustrating thing about Pikes Peak Community college is they dont offer enough of general education classes at night. For example this year i have had to take two classes online because the school didnt have a class that started after 2:30pm. Community colleges are supossed to be more flexable. People do work for a living and most are a 9-5 job. Even though my job is a 6-2 that still doesn"t help.

If I could go back and tell myself as a high school senior I would say, Do not take time off. When you do it is the hardest thing to adjust to school life again. I would also tell myself that just because you are going to a community college does not make a difference. You are still getting the same education and the kids who are going to a university but you get more one on one time with your professors. You can not just coast through school like you have the previous years, you need to study more than half an hour and you need to do your homework and read, if you do not, you have a less likely chance in passing your classes. Keep up the good work and follow these simple tips and you will make it through.

I wish I had known where the Rampart Campus Center was. We got a new campus that nobody was aware of and it was hard to find where my classes in that building were.

The worst thing about Pikes Peak Community College is that there is three different campuses in differend areas. So if i want to take a course it could be at a different campus. Last semester I didn't have a car so i had to car pool to school and my journalism class what at a campus I could not get to so I ended taking it online and I felt I didn't get much from the experience.

Theresa

I would love to tell myself to have confidence in myself. I can do anything if I put my mind too it!! As long as you take your time, stop and think about things before you do them, you will do fine. I would focus alot on empowerment, because if your comfortable and confident inside it will shine through.

The expensive fitness membership. Would like a place to go that supports the health of students, and not always the profit that it can bring.

The resources and extra help that the college offers. Writing lab, math lab and tutors for example.

Benjamin

Pikes Peak Community College is best known for being a low-cost, high-education school that is great for students to get their start in their degree without going into serious debt. Almost all of the credits are transferable to more prestigious schools.

Pikes Peak Community College is unique to other schools I considered because it has multiple (4) campuses in which to study; making it extremely easy for students to attend, no matter where in the city they reside. Not to mention an online campus as well.

Had I the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I now know about life as a college student and the changes ahead; I would have three main things to say. First of all, I would tell the younger version of me that in the years ahead, things are going to become different in the sense of finances; starting a budget while in high school would greatly behoove myself to have started saving and disciplining myself early. Second, I would tell myself to embrace the anxiety and fear of the future as a learning process and growing experience. Finally I wouldn't tell myself what lay ahead in the details, because having the future hidden from oneself is part of being human. Not knowing what lies ahead increases faith, endurance and strength with which to strive for that which is unseen and to experience the joy of accomplishment and also the bitterness of disappointment but to still continue on is what will ultimately shape us into the man we are both to become.

(I have always been a shy and unsure of myself. Although I did very well all through school, I was afraid of going to college. Now that I am older and wiser, I understand the consequences of my decisions) The most important advice I would give myself is to have no fear. My future is mine and mine alone. Do not hesitate or second guess your choices because in the end your life is what you make it. Life can be uncertain but don't let that uncertainty dictate what you accomplish. There is no time to be shy or timid when you are the only one who has the power to change your life for the better. Open up to the world around you and take it all in. Be true to yourself, keep a positive attitude, and be brave enough to take the chances that are worth taking. You have the ability to succeed. Now's the time to shine!

The instructors I have had during my time at PPCC have been very supportive and encouraging. I am about to make a huge career change and my doubts and fears have been put to rest knowing I have received a top-notch education from people who are knowledgeable and committed to what they do.

I ahve maintained a 4.0 GPA through out my time at PPCC, but I am unable to receive financial aid. I wish that there was some way to recognize a student's success and some kind of financial incentive, possibly to cover tuition, available to those who strive for excellence.

Steven

Perched on a nole overlooking the south gate of Fort scarson, Pikes Peak Community is a small college that provides a challenging environment with diverse educational opportunities not only for my own individual educational persuits but also for self-enrichment and expansion.

Steven, I know that you are completely terrified. Though you would disagree with me, and the impassive expression that you hold on to belies the dark swirling shadows that lay beneath the surface, believe me. I know. All of the possibilities terrify you and, if you let that fear dominate, you will spend almost a decade trying to find out what it is that you want to become. You know deep down that you desire to help people. Stick with that. Do not let anyone shove you in any direction but that direction. Go and find a profession that will by its nature fulfill your own nature. As the Oracle at Delphi pronounced on its pediment: Know Thyself. And, be true to what you know about yourself. Do not cling to your wandering heart, but instead stab it and go uplift all that you can. Find that profession and persue it with all your heart. Only then, will you be able to not only be fulfilled, but to fulfill your purpose in life, which you scream inwardly to realize. Three words: Follow. Your. Heart.

Individuals who are seeking to get lost in the crowd or to merely pass through classes by sitting in the back of large stadium style courses, nor those who desire a more sports oriented, party environment, need not apply.

Pikes Peak Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.