Pikes Peak Community College

« See more reviews of Pikes Peak Community College

Anybody no matter if young or even the elder will always think about college. if its even your teacher wanting to go back and major in something besides teaching or ur neighbor wanting to start college after being graduated for only 5 years. or maybe even someone like me, only being graduated two years ago. but theres always this perminision that we get that we imagine ourselves doing wat we dream. going to high school i wish i knew i could have told myfelf to prepare for my major which is business administration. i wish i could have told my self how easy it is to enter any college i wanted without any hassle or confusion. entering this college was the best thing i have done for my life and in my life. i wish i wasnt afraid to go along with my dream of being a business man and not worry about the word "COLLEGE". during school many people are scared of this word because we think of money, time, and expenses. all that is included with college but it is much easier than high school. giving myself advice on the past would have made my present easier.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to be so stressed out! College is definately challenging but your schooling has helped perpare you for all the problems and resposiblities you have to take on. You should enjoy high school! Go to some assemblies and football games, put down that review packet and take a breath! I know it seems like high school is the end all be all of your life right now, but don't worry, it only seems that way. Once you get out of this school you'll be starting your carreer and working and have many more responsibilities that will only continue as your life progresses. But for now your just a high school student, enjoy the comforts of home cooked meals, late nights talking on the phone, and movie days at school. If I were you I would take more time to hang out with your friends and boyfriend who are all moving away after summer, plan a trip to Denver and enjoy being teen adolescents a while longer. The real world full of new challenges is waiting around the corner.

I am Mackenzee Heath. The one and only, Mackenzee Heath. But it took me a lot of learning, struggles and mistakes to get to where I am now. It took almost; too long to become the real person I wanted to be. If I could go back into time, and talk to myself as a high school student, there are four main things I would advise myself to and of course, not to do. For ever year that you move up, I would advise something new to work and concentrate on that year. Freshman year, I would say to get to know the high school you're attending. Open houses, transition days, etc. Sophomore year, focus on a good relationship with your parents who are the two people who will naturally always love you and want good for you. Junior year, I would say is scholarship and grants year. There are so many out there to take advantage of before it?s too late. Apply, apply, and apply! For senior year, I would say is college year. Look into as many colleges as possible. Visit the colleges. Just like freshman year all over. And of course, make sure to graduate!!!

We often hear the words, "If I only knew then what I know now." These words are more than an age-old adage; they are words of wisdom that you, Jodie, will one day fully understand. Although the words strike a regretful tone, I now offer these words to you with glowing hope. Don't fear what you do not know, but truly accept the things that you do. You are smart. You are capable of achieving great things. I know you feel invincible and that the world is in the palm of your hands, but my dear, young girl, a college education is more than a diploma. It is self-respect. It is a testimony to your intellect and commitment to yourself and to your future. Do not fear failure, but be confident in your abilities. Yes, you will be required to work hard and stay up all hours of the night out of commitment to your studies, but these things that you now see as sacrifices will be overcome by the pride you will find in your family's, professors', and your eyes as you meet and even surpass your own expectations. If you commit, you will succeed.

College is nothing like high school at all. Any idiot can graduate high school without even trying. You have to do all the homework and all the reading every single time in college. Getting behind is almost certain doom, do any homework or reading the day it is assigned. Trying to work ahead or play catch up both dont sync with the way your mind works. doing all homework or reading the day it is assigned is the best policy. If nothing is assigned the lecture will make alot more sense if you read the material before the teacher goes over it. It dosnt matter what other people do, or how well you usually learn from just lecture. Take your own notes all class every class, dont be afriad to say something to the teacher or ask a question. The most important thing is to do all the homework and reading. If theres not enough homework assigned do some of the homework from the book on your own. Use any online resources available. Youll be lucky to get all B's if you do do all this. Its that much harder than high school.

Micah, you should spend more time shadowing professionals so that you would make more contacts in your possible fields of study. It would give you more of an idea of what to go into and a better field of the scope of opportunities. Start working on scholarship applications sooner and work more diligently on them. Really buckle in to studies so that you will be as ready for college as possible academically. Learn how to cook, to budget, and to repair the car, as well about car insurance. Learn about what your medical insurance will be like next year. Ask your parents and other adults for advice as often as possible, as they have a lot to impart. Continue loving people, even though you're very busy and in the midst of many changes. Put God first, and everything will come into place. Keep your chin up when things don't go the way you think they should. Learn to roll over problems, knowing that there will be a bright and shining future for you, and that you will do well in all you do. Be thankful in all things.

Steven, I know that you are completely terrified. Though you would disagree with me, and the impassive expression that you hold on to belies the dark swirling shadows that lay beneath the surface, believe me. I know. All of the possibilities terrify you and, if you let that fear dominate, you will spend almost a decade trying to find out what it is that you want to become. You know deep down that you desire to help people. Stick with that. Do not let anyone shove you in any direction but that direction. Go and find a profession that will by its nature fulfill your own nature. As the Oracle at Delphi pronounced on its pediment: Know Thyself. And, be true to what you know about yourself. Do not cling to your wandering heart, but instead stab it and go uplift all that you can. Find that profession and persue it with all your heart. Only then, will you be able to not only be fulfilled, but to fulfill your purpose in life, which you scream inwardly to realize. Three words: Follow. Your. Heart.

Had I the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I now know about life as a college student and the changes ahead; I would have three main things to say. First of all, I would tell the younger version of me that in the years ahead, things are going to become different in the sense of finances; starting a budget while in high school would greatly behoove myself to have started saving and disciplining myself early. Second, I would tell myself to embrace the anxiety and fear of the future as a learning process and growing experience. Finally I wouldn't tell myself what lay ahead in the details, because having the future hidden from oneself is part of being human. Not knowing what lies ahead increases faith, endurance and strength with which to strive for that which is unseen and to experience the joy of accomplishment and also the bitterness of disappointment but to still continue on is what will ultimately shape us into the man we are both to become.

?Don?t be angry at me. . .? responded the twinkling, blue eyed professor to his students the first day of class. ? I am not hard, the subject I teach is hard!? I would have digested this advice given by a teacher of such high recommendations in high school if I had the chance of recognizing the advantage it has in college. When I was younger, I was pessimistic, usually blaming the teacher for a grade I thought I should have received higher. When I walked into my college Biology class of Human Anatomy and Physiology, I realized most of my time would be devoted to this one subject. I would tell myself as a high school senior don?t blame the person for what you receive as an overall grade because how much you study is what you get out of the class. If I wish to receive an A, I will study for 30-40 hours a week. Do not blame the teacher for giving their knowledge of the subject to the students. ?The teachers passed the subject obviously, its not impossible!? (Jessica, 01/21/10)

If I were to go back to talk to myself as a high school senior I would say to myself that I should visit as many colleges as I can and apply for as many scholarships and funds for college. I would also tell myself that college life is very different from high school and making the transition is a very important step once I have graduated with a diploma. I would also stress that I should take the ACT (and the SAT) in order to get into a very good college. Colleges look at ACT and SAT scores along with a high school student's grade point average (or GPA) so they can decide which students they'll permit on to campus. The last thing I should mention to myself is that going to college for the first time can be very intimidating and very stressful (especially when paying for college is thrown into the equation), however, the important thing for me to remember is to have fun in college, expand upon the boundaries of my life, and not to stress too much!