Pikes Peak Community College Top Questions

Edna

No matter what events you encoutner in your life; whether it is a broken heart, family problems or anything else stay focused on your goal. College provides you with the opportunity to see the world in a different light. It makes you question your traditions, believes and out look about the world. This allows you to grow and make your own decisions. A college education requires focus, persevereance and most importantly an open mind. Most importantly the knowledge and expereince you gain throughout your college years will provide you with a means to support yourself financially and open new doors of opportunity for your future children. An educated parent is an inspiration to his/her children. Stay focused! In the words of Master Yoda "Do or do not. There is no try." and "Always pass on what you have learned."

Kayla

There is a lot of advice I would give my high school senior self. First off i would be telling myself to fill out as many or all scholarship opportunities because loans stack up and then you become in debt before you even blink. I would also give advice on getting a job and saving up for a car to get to school and home because figuring out how to get to school then home is rough, especially when it is snowing out of control. Taking some college courses in high school would have been something I should have taken advantage of but I did not. Also some adivce is exploring the major you would want to go into because changing your major in the middle of the year makes you start all over. Learning out to balance your studies and homework before college is something I should have learned but did not.

Olivia

I would tell myself to figure out who I want to be in the world. I would also tell myself to look for scholarships and always work hard.

Cassandra

If I'm looking back to high school senior me, I would tell her to take notes on what I'm abou to say. I will tell her to stay focused on her grades and her boyfriend can wait. I would tell her she needs good concentration and efforts on tests and exams to get a better grade throughout the whole senior class. I would tell her to get orginized and follow and step by step list on how to get and stay orginized. I would also tell her to relax and have some fun every now and then and don't get too caught up in school. I would advise high school me to have already looked at colleges, their programs and tuition and work harder to get financial aid. I would tell her to stop spending her paychecks on clothes and save up for school or even her own car. I would advise her to stay positive and happy. I wouldn't believe her if she said she would marry her high school boyfriend, but keep her inspiring herself and her boyfriend to make smart educational choices.

Christopher

Well, to begin with, I was homeschooled in a very relaxed setting where I never really had to write papers. The very first thing I would tell myself is learn how to write papers in MLA and APA format. It's probably the one thing I use most in school so far. Next, I would urge myself to start practice taking timed tests on all of my subjects. That way I could get used to being in a school setting where there are tests. I would also tell myself to immediatly apply for Work Studies as soon as I began college, as they are a fairly easy way to make money when you're taking classes. I'd also suggest that I make a folder where I can keep copies of different pieces of homework I recive, that way I can easily reference it. Finally, I'd tell myself that there really aren't any major differences between college life and the way I was homeschooled, with the exception of having homework and being in a class room.

Martin

Shantideva once said, "If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?" Haley is the one you are going to marry. Don't trip about the rest of the b.s., it's just details. Good luck and have fun! P.S. Don't drink the snake saki!

Joel

There are literally a handful of things I would say if I could go back and give myself advice. I would tell myself to take it easy and not stress out too much, because it's only community college. Not only that I would tell myself to get hearing aids and not care what anyone else thinks because I would be saving myself a lot of pain and frustration in the future. I would say, "be more open-minded, and accepting of others who come from different backgrounds. Don't judge a book by its cover, and above all never give up and trust in yourself."

Salome

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself not to be so stressed out! College is definately challenging but your schooling has helped perpare you for all the problems and resposiblities you have to take on. You should enjoy high school! Go to some assemblies and football games, put down that review packet and take a breath! I know it seems like high school is the end all be all of your life right now, but don't worry, it only seems that way. Once you get out of this school you'll be starting your carreer and working and have many more responsibilities that will only continue as your life progresses. But for now your just a high school student, enjoy the comforts of home cooked meals, late nights talking on the phone, and movie days at school. If I were you I would take more time to hang out with your friends and boyfriend who are all moving away after summer, plan a trip to Denver and enjoy being teen adolescents a while longer. The real world full of new challenges is waiting around the corner.

brianna

Don't start soft. Don't take that semester off. The Air Force won't take you. Find the passion you want in life and run with it. It's ok to not getin the military, but be proactive with your life and grab the bull by the horns. Don't bother with boys, and under no curcumstances drop out and marry a boy!!!! do this for you and no one else. Someone will come along and show you why it never worked out, and they will want you to continue school. Love more and worry less. Let yourself see how others think. Be open. He isn't your life so don't let him be.

Charity

I would have told myselfo to finish my high school education rather than opting for a GED and continue directly to a 4 year university.

Mackenzee

I am Mackenzee Heath. The one and only, Mackenzee Heath. But it took me a lot of learning, struggles and mistakes to get to where I am now. It took almost; too long to become the real person I wanted to be. If I could go back into time, and talk to myself as a high school student, there are four main things I would advise myself to and of course, not to do. For ever year that you move up, I would advise something new to work and concentrate on that year. Freshman year, I would say to get to know the high school you're attending. Open houses, transition days, etc. Sophomore year, focus on a good relationship with your parents who are the two people who will naturally always love you and want good for you. Junior year, I would say is scholarship and grants year. There are so many out there to take advantage of before it?s too late. Apply, apply, and apply! For senior year, I would say is college year. Look into as many colleges as possible. Visit the colleges. Just like freshman year all over. And of course, make sure to graduate!!!

don

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that college is the only thing that is gonna help you to pursue your lifes dreams. I would also tell myself that the future is only as bright as I allow it to be and that there is lot's of oppuratunity's out there, you just need to keep your eyes open and reach for the sky's. dont ever settle for less and do your hardest to be the best at what ever you choose to do.

Kayla

Everyday you may come across a challenge, just take it one day at a time and try not to get stressed out. I like to think of life as challenge all in its self. "Everything in life that is worth having is a challenge, if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be worth having." That is how I feel about college and working towards a degree. Just have pride in everything you do and know that you strive to be the best everyday. Know that one day you will have that degree and you deserve it so much after all the hard work!

Kristina

The advise I would give myself is do not get caught up in drama, focus on your education, do your homework, and when asked always give the professer a nice temperment. College is like high school just with a lot more frredom but do not take this freedom for what it is worth, go to class and get the education you are paying for. Always focus on the future when class gets boring and do not let your parents or roomates take the time you need for homework and make you do something else. It is ok to go out and have fun if your grades are where they should be and all your homework is done for the next school day. This is what I would tell myself if I could go back in time and give advise.

Janel

If I was able to go back to myself as a senior in high school I would probably try to mentally prepare myself more and also research the classes and majors offered. College in some ways was easier to begin with, there were less classroom hours and you could choose your class times to an extent. I wish I would have looked more closely my senior year, when signing up for classes, for the classes offered for both of the degrees. I hadn't payed attention and an advisor for people with undecided majors or degrees told me to take a class that went with accociates of arts, when I decided later on to do an accociates of science degree. I took the class and struggled and it isn't gaurenteed to transfer. Also more research on what career would interest me would have been better because I could have gotten started knowing my major and degree from the beginning.

Deangelo

If I were to go back to talk to myself as a high school senior I would say to myself that I should visit as many colleges as I can and apply for as many scholarships and funds for college. I would also tell myself that college life is very different from high school and making the transition is a very important step once I have graduated with a diploma. I would also stress that I should take the ACT (and the SAT) in order to get into a very good college. Colleges look at ACT and SAT scores along with a high school student's grade point average (or GPA) so they can decide which students they'll permit on to campus. The last thing I should mention to myself is that going to college for the first time can be very intimidating and very stressful (especially when paying for college is thrown into the equation), however, the important thing for me to remember is to have fun in college, expand upon the boundaries of my life, and not to stress too much!

Kendall

?Don?t be angry at me. . .? responded the twinkling, blue eyed professor to his students the first day of class. ? I am not hard, the subject I teach is hard!? I would have digested this advice given by a teacher of such high recommendations in high school if I had the chance of recognizing the advantage it has in college. When I was younger, I was pessimistic, usually blaming the teacher for a grade I thought I should have received higher. When I walked into my college Biology class of Human Anatomy and Physiology, I realized most of my time would be devoted to this one subject. I would tell myself as a high school senior don?t blame the person for what you receive as an overall grade because how much you study is what you get out of the class. If I wish to receive an A, I will study for 30-40 hours a week. Do not blame the teacher for giving their knowledge of the subject to the students. ?The teachers passed the subject obviously, its not impossible!? (Jessica, 01/21/10)

Laura

If I went back in time knowing what i know now, theres only one thing that comes to mind. "Do what feels right to you", First of all no mater what you say or teach a person about college or real life its up to them to learn it. For example I was always told by oder friends and family that in order to achieve anything you have to try. Of course I realy didn't know what "trying" felt like so i tried to brease my way through everything, turns out you really do need to try your absolute hardest to achieve what you want in school and in life. We as people have an instict or "gut" as some refer to it as. This "gut" is what tell us whats wrong and wht right, If you follow your "gut" or what feels right, you will end up where you are now. No matter how terrible or great "now" may seem, Its the path you chose and the path you should be proud of.

Gabrielle

If i could go back there are only a few things i would do differently. First i would tell me to save more of my paychecks for school, but not all you need to have some fun. Next i would tell myself to go to college right after school it really wont hurt to start classes before you know what your major might be. The most important advice iI would give my self is to stay with Eric and marry him as we did. He wont get in the way of school and it makes going a little easier because you dont have to deal with parents., as well as help support you while you go to school. Just trust yourself and don't second quess everything you do know what you want in life.

If I could go back and tell myself as a high school senior I would say, Do not take time off. When you do it is the hardest thing to adjust to school life again. I would also tell myself that just because you are going to a community college does not make a difference. You are still getting the same education and the kids who are going to a university but you get more one on one time with your professors. You can not just coast through school like you have the previous years, you need to study more than half an hour and you need to do your homework and read, if you do not, you have a less likely chance in passing your classes. Keep up the good work and follow these simple tips and you will make it through.

Theresa

I would love to tell myself to have confidence in myself. I can do anything if I put my mind too it!! As long as you take your time, stop and think about things before you do them, you will do fine. I would focus alot on empowerment, because if your comfortable and confident inside it will shine through.

Benjamin

Had I the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I now know about life as a college student and the changes ahead; I would have three main things to say. First of all, I would tell the younger version of me that in the years ahead, things are going to become different in the sense of finances; starting a budget while in high school would greatly behoove myself to have started saving and disciplining myself early. Second, I would tell myself to embrace the anxiety and fear of the future as a learning process and growing experience. Finally I wouldn't tell myself what lay ahead in the details, because having the future hidden from oneself is part of being human. Not knowing what lies ahead increases faith, endurance and strength with which to strive for that which is unseen and to experience the joy of accomplishment and also the bitterness of disappointment but to still continue on is what will ultimately shape us into the man we are both to become.

(I have always been a shy and unsure of myself. Although I did very well all through school, I was afraid of going to college. Now that I am older and wiser, I understand the consequences of my decisions) The most important advice I would give myself is to have no fear. My future is mine and mine alone. Do not hesitate or second guess your choices because in the end your life is what you make it. Life can be uncertain but don't let that uncertainty dictate what you accomplish. There is no time to be shy or timid when you are the only one who has the power to change your life for the better. Open up to the world around you and take it all in. Be true to yourself, keep a positive attitude, and be brave enough to take the chances that are worth taking. You have the ability to succeed. Now's the time to shine!

Steven

Steven, I know that you are completely terrified. Though you would disagree with me, and the impassive expression that you hold on to belies the dark swirling shadows that lay beneath the surface, believe me. I know. All of the possibilities terrify you and, if you let that fear dominate, you will spend almost a decade trying to find out what it is that you want to become. You know deep down that you desire to help people. Stick with that. Do not let anyone shove you in any direction but that direction. Go and find a profession that will by its nature fulfill your own nature. As the Oracle at Delphi pronounced on its pediment: Know Thyself. And, be true to what you know about yourself. Do not cling to your wandering heart, but instead stab it and go uplift all that you can. Find that profession and persue it with all your heart. Only then, will you be able to not only be fulfilled, but to fulfill your purpose in life, which you scream inwardly to realize. Three words: Follow. Your. Heart.

Barbara

I would tell myself to go ahead and go to college instead of waiting until I was 26 years old to begin my college journey. I decided when I graduated high school that I would wait to go to college and instead travel around with my father for a year before I began the journey. I ended up getting pregnant with my son whom I adore, during that time so I had to put school off until mine, my husband's and our children's lives were a little more stable. However, I am excelling in school so I am glad I have made that journey.

Javier

Anybody no matter if young or even the elder will always think about college. if its even your teacher wanting to go back and major in something besides teaching or ur neighbor wanting to start college after being graduated for only 5 years. or maybe even someone like me, only being graduated two years ago. but theres always this perminision that we get that we imagine ourselves doing wat we dream. going to high school i wish i knew i could have told myfelf to prepare for my major which is business administration. i wish i could have told my self how easy it is to enter any college i wanted without any hassle or confusion. entering this college was the best thing i have done for my life and in my life. i wish i wasnt afraid to go along with my dream of being a business man and not worry about the word "COLLEGE". during school many people are scared of this word because we think of money, time, and expenses. all that is included with college but it is much easier than high school. giving myself advice on the past would have made my present easier.

Jodie

We often hear the words, "If I only knew then what I know now." These words are more than an age-old adage; they are words of wisdom that you, Jodie, will one day fully understand. Although the words strike a regretful tone, I now offer these words to you with glowing hope. Don't fear what you do not know, but truly accept the things that you do. You are smart. You are capable of achieving great things. I know you feel invincible and that the world is in the palm of your hands, but my dear, young girl, a college education is more than a diploma. It is self-respect. It is a testimony to your intellect and commitment to yourself and to your future. Do not fear failure, but be confident in your abilities. Yes, you will be required to work hard and stay up all hours of the night out of commitment to your studies, but these things that you now see as sacrifices will be overcome by the pride you will find in your family's, professors', and your eyes as you meet and even surpass your own expectations. If you commit, you will succeed.

If I had to go back to tell myself something as a highschool senior it would be to volunteer and participate in more activites. I am now volunteering (at 25 years old!). I know now it would have been alot easier and helped me decide what I wanted to do when I grow up. Working full time and being a wife is hard enough without volunteering and doing extra activites. I would have maybe been complete with most of my school work. Although I know I can still do it now, my days of being a DVM are alot futher in the future. Encouragment is also the best, I would say "Go highschool me! You can do it!"

Ladonna

Do not procrastinate and live life to the fullest. Also do not let it stress you out, it is a new chapter in life, just enjoy the experience and work hard.

Jeffrey

I would address myself about goals and responsibilty. College is a tool for life, not just the next thing to do in life. Only attend school when you are ready to participate fully. The amount of effort that is put in to the life training is directly related to the outcome. If you are not ready to put in 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} then wait until the time that you are ready. If the focus is on social interactions and finding new adult hobbies then the outcome will not be academically positive. Academic preparation for upcoming jobs is the goal. The other activities are fun and a worthwhile growing experience but don't waste the money and professors time by messing around too much. If you need to go "find yourself" then do it and attend college when you are ready. Therefore my major advice is to attend college when you are ready, not before, so that you can suceed in what you are doing. You get out what you put in so put in 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} or wait until you are ready to do so.

Eric

If I could go back in time I would tell myself that happiness is not something that can be obtained from a drug, job, person in your life, a drink, or any physical thing. I would tell myself not to put my faith in any of these things instead, put it in God. The problem with trusting in people or creations of men is that they fail and leave us in a state of despair with thoughts of failure, something god could never do. Put your faith in god follow his commandments the best you can. Do your best in all things and leave the results to God!

Jeremy

The best peice of advice i could give myself as a high school senior would be to really focus more on the steps I'm taking towards a career. I would tell myself not to party as much as i did and to give all my efforts to my school work and going to classes. It's the one thing now that i have to battle the entire time that I will be in college. I wasted money and chances by not thinking about college seriously and I even had someone else paying for my education. Now, I'm paying on my own and have to actually work to pay for everything. So, really, the best advice to give would be to think long and hard about going to college and make sure that I am ready for such a large responsibility to myself.

I would say that i need to take it slow and read more. The test in college are harder and people are meaner and rougher. They push you and push you to make you success. I need to work on my test so that can push the test in the college assessment test. i hope to never have to take english. it was fun in high school but i really needed to work harder and feel that i know something.

Kerri

I would tell myself to go to college immediately following high school instead of waiting ten years. I chose to put my college on hold and to get married so I would have to tell myself not to get married and focus on going to college and making a career for myself.

I would tell myself that even though the classes are not what you like, it helps you out in the long run. Also to turn your homework in on time.

Spencer

If I could go back to when I was a senior in high school, I would tell my self a couple of things. The first is that by far the most important thing in doing well is to get all the assignments in. If someone can do this, very frequently an A will follow. The second thing I would tell myself is to not try and do everything I want in my life. When college started I was also working 25 hours a week and found I had to choose only few activities to participate in. The final bit of advice I would give is to not buy a class books until you're in the class and can see whether or not you'll really need it. I find about 1 class a semester won't need a book, which is $100 saved if you don't buy it.

Marlene

I would tell myself to stop, slow down, and look what is around you. Start thinking about tomarrow so that you can at least be more prepared. Go to school and finish with great oppurtunities. That life is great as long as you make it so. Be smart dont let others influence you. Make your own desicion and arise to any challenge. Never be afraid of what other might say or do as long as it is not directed to you. Wait to settle down and have children. Enjoy your youth and becareful with your body. It is the only one you have. No one will take care of you unless you take care of yourself.

Time management has to be one of the most important aspects of success in college. Scheduling study times throughout the week may help with time management. It's' also a good idea to make self-imposed deadlines for assignments as well. At times, it can feel like there is plenty of time outside of the classroom to get things complete, but without structure and time lines, many assignments are not given their full attention in order to achieve good grades. Most importantly, I believe that it would be a benefit to most students to find someone who actually has a job that he/she is trying to achieve by getting their college degree. Nothing can be more valuable than real, lifetime, experiences. Knowing what is required of a profession, can inspire any student to either pursue their education with passion or to search for an alternative route that will bring lasting success.

michelle

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would first tell myself to go to college insted of trying to join the workforce for mininmum wage for so many years. I would tell myself to talk to my highschool councler and get the information I needed to sign up for college and then as soon as I was registered for college I would tell my self to always ask for information. No guestion is a dumb question, only the ones that never get asked. Then as soon as classes started I would tell myself to always make time for homework, no matter what. I would aslo tell myself to make sure to get help when I needed it from tutors, instuctors, or peer groups.

Heather

Study Harder and do less socializing

Micah

I would listen to my parents more. I would work harder to excel in academics and also in relationships, giving my all. I would learn from the best in a stronger way.

Micah

Listen to your parents. Help those in need. Listen to the cries of friends and acquaintances, and try to reach out to them. See teachers as people who have real needs, themselves, and try to come around them. Excel in knowledge by listening to the news and reading the newspapers. Be active in sports, staying fit and learning lifelong habits that will keep my body running for a long time. Become a learner so that I will attack problems in the future, taking steps to go through the clouds and come out on top. Learn patience with those who hurt me and seek my wrong. Roll over problems and see the good in people and circumstances. Be a winner, in thought, in action, in perseverance.

Micah

Micah, you should spend more time shadowing professionals so that you would make more contacts in your possible fields of study. It would give you more of an idea of what to go into and a better field of the scope of opportunities. Start working on scholarship applications sooner and work more diligently on them. Really buckle in to studies so that you will be as ready for college as possible academically. Learn how to cook, to budget, and to repair the car, as well about car insurance. Learn about what your medical insurance will be like next year. Ask your parents and other adults for advice as often as possible, as they have a lot to impart. Continue loving people, even though you're very busy and in the midst of many changes. Put God first, and everything will come into place. Keep your chin up when things don't go the way you think they should. Learn to roll over problems, knowing that there will be a bright and shining future for you, and that you will do well in all you do. Be thankful in all things.

Jason

College is nothing like high school at all. Any idiot can graduate high school without even trying. You have to do all the homework and all the reading every single time in college. Getting behind is almost certain doom, do any homework or reading the day it is assigned. Trying to work ahead or play catch up both dont sync with the way your mind works. doing all homework or reading the day it is assigned is the best policy. If nothing is assigned the lecture will make alot more sense if you read the material before the teacher goes over it. It dosnt matter what other people do, or how well you usually learn from just lecture. Take your own notes all class every class, dont be afriad to say something to the teacher or ask a question. The most important thing is to do all the homework and reading. If theres not enough homework assigned do some of the homework from the book on your own. Use any online resources available. Youll be lucky to get all B's if you do do all this. Its that much harder than high school.