Pittsburg, KS
Pittsburg State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Pittsburg State University

Brianna

If I had to describe Pittsburg State University (no, there is no 'h' at the end; yes, it is located in Kansas) in one word, it would be 'traditional'. Some traditions that students partake in throughout the years are family day, homecoming week, Apple Day, game-days spent in Gorilla Village and Carnie Smith Stadium, and many more. The most important tradition that all students at Pittsburg State University have the opportunity to experience is ringing the bell at the Centennial Bell Tower, which occurs on the first day as a freshman (welcoming the new gorillas to campus) and on the last day as a graduating senior (a reminder to students that once a gorilla, always a gorilla). Pittsburg is a small town, but the campus is without-a-doubt loved and supported by the community members within the city. PSU offers more than 200 undergraduate and graduate academic programs as well as different opportunities to be involved on campus. General education courses have the largest number of students, and program courses vary in how many students are in each class. Although Pittsburg itself does not have vary many places to go for entertainment (bowling alley, movie theater [$3.50 for students!]), Pittsburg is within a 45 minute drive to Joplin, Missouri and Miami, Oklahoma, and a two hour drive to Kansas City; Branson, Missouri; Fayetteville, Arkansas; Tulsa, Oklahoma. Who could forget PSU's beloved Gus?! Gus is the mascot gorilla for Pittsburg State University and loved by all of his fans. He can be seen at all sporting events, randomly on campus, and big events happening on campus (he likes to take a TON of pictures too!). If you are looking to find a place to call your 'home away from home', Pittsburg State University is bound to be at the top of the list. #OnceAGorillaAlwaysAGorilla

Sabrina

I think it is a great college to get the true college experience. There's a lot of school spirit and support of sports and other activities. The school hosts a lot of events to help everyone get involved. Teachers are also usually very enthusiastic about what they're teaching and seem like they want to be there. There might be a lack of shopping places but there's plenty to eat and plenty of parties and events to go to on the weekend. Plus, Joplin isn't too far if you really feel the need to go to a mall or something.

Ellie

Pittsburg State University is a very welcoming university. When I first decided to attend PSU I was worried about being by myself all the time and not having anyone that would accept me because they don't know me. As I started attending classes I noticed that most, if not all of the students that attend PSU are very friendly and welcoming to everyone even if they don't know you. Even if you're just walking by them they will smile and say "hi". PSU has an amazing campus also. I highly recommend checking out PSU's campus.

Christian
The famous review

it was quite the seen from the students I knew

The famous review

it was quite the seen from the students I knew

Pittsburg State University is home to a close-knit community with a multitude of various backgrounds and individuals, all making up a wonderful campus and environment that's perfect for education, fun college experiences, and countless opportunities.

Before experiencing Pitt State, I was undecided as to what university I wanted to attend. Upon my first arrival, the atmosphere of the campus and it's residents simply felt like home. The campus is small enough to have a close community and friendship among the students, but it's also large enough that you have the opportunity to meet people from every corner of the world. Being a shy person, I made friends and felt comfortable at this unviersity within days. Also, it is the only school with a gorilla as the mascot, adding to its uniqueness.

My senior year of high school was a tumultuous time filled with indecision and uncertainty. I was completely at a loss as to what I wanted to do in college, and what pathways I wanted to take. If I could communicate with my high school self, I would let me know that it's alright to be uncertain. Not knowing what you want to do as soon as you enter the world of college is normal, and one of the biggest opportunities of college is the chance to try new and exciting things. Being lost can be rewarding; it gives you the opportunity to truly know yourself and your preferences. The stress that adults put on high school seniors can be overwhelming, but don't ever let that keep you from trying what you want to try, not what everyone else thinks you should do. Every high school senior needs to know that only they can construct their happiness and idea of success, and the first step is to get a little lost in this exciting world, and discover what you unequivically love.

Katherine

If I were able to go back in time and give myself some advice, there would be a lot for me to say. College is definitely not something that you are prepared for, whether you think so or not. I would tell myself to come to college with a clean slate and an open mind. Trying to continue a relationship long distance is not a good idea and it will just end up ruining some of the time spent at college and some of your friendships. I would tell myself to listen to my heart and do what I think is best for myself and my future career. Although it is good to think about others, I shouldn't jeopardize my happiness and future for that. College is an amazing experience, but the experience won't be as enjoyable if I hold myself back. I would definitely tell myself to not take the Woman's Studies course because that class was a dreadful learning experience. Overall, the most important thing that I would tell myself is that I should make the very best out of my college experience and pursue my career with as much passion as I can.

Before I came to this school I wish I would have known more about the weather in this area. I did not realize how much it rains in Pittsburg, and if I knew how much it does then I would have bought myself some rainboots before moving here. I also wish I would have known more about the different programs and how the enrollment works. I did not meet my advisor until it was time for enrollment, and I wish I would have known to meet with her before then if I wanted the most help from her.

When I tell my friends about my school I mostly brag about our football team. Our football team is incredible, and the school spirit that comes along with it makes it an amazing environment to be in. You don't have to be a huge drinker or partier to enjoy the tailgating or the football game. I also brag about how beautiful our campus is. Although it is under construction right now, campus is gorgeous during any season of the year. Walking around a beautiful campus makes the time here a lot more enjoyable.

Crystal

Don't worry about college it's going to be great. You will make great friends quickly, do things that scare you and put yourself out there and have fun

I love my school there's not really anything that i don't like

Lauri

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college, I would tell myself to start saving money earlier. I would also say to start applying for scholarships earlier. I wish that I had started looking at and visited colleges earlier. I would have started looking at colleges as a freshman.

Still have to go to class when it's too cold.

Anndrina

I would tell myself not to be so nervous and to know that no matter who you are, you will be able to find friends in college. I would also tell myself to spend as much time with my family as I possibly can. Since, I did move from Asia to go to college, I do miss my family very much. I would tell myself to study hard so I could apply to several colleges and maybe even enroll into honor's college. I would tell myself to relax and not be in a hurry to grow up; because, high school and college is the best time of ones life.

I believe almost anyone could attend PSU. It is a great community with a diverse range of students. Students who want to attend a smaller school with smaller classes; and, students who want a lot of one on one time with their professors should choose PSU.

Students who want a big city feel should not attend PSU. It is located in a very small town.

talia

They are very welcoming people.

They are very welcoming people.

I would have gotten more prepared and applied for more grant and scholarships for the payments i have to make .

I Knew everything I could possibly know about the school I am attending .

Pittsburg State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.