Pittsburg State University

« See more reviews of Pittsburg State University

I would strongly suggest not slacking off your senior year of high school to start. It is very important because those grades largely determine financial aid an individual could receive. Also, work on being an independent person rather than depending on others. Being a college student, I have realized being an independent person helps socially and emotionally. College for the first time is very nerve racking and stressful. Another bit of advice, be prepared intellectually. College only gets harder so taking high school work seriously would benefit. Another point, get involved with your school. Be active in clubs and organizations. These show leadership and other skills people attain that can also be very useful when filling out those scholarships. Be organized! Organization is very important in college. It is all up to you, your parents aren't going to tell you to clean your room anymore. Overall, keep an open mind and use your head. It's not hard, but may get challenging. Go to class and do your work and transitioning from a high school senior to a freshman in college, you'll be just fine!

When I began taking many college visits my senior year of high school, I payed close attention to what I looked for in colleges to help me figure out which one was the best choice for me. What I was wanted in a college was a place that had a friendly atmosphere, was not too big but not too small, had the desired majors available I was interested in, and basically a place I could call home. Choosing the right school was a hard and stressful process, but once I found one that suited my needs, I knew it was going to be the place for me. To students trying to figure out where they would like to continue their schooling, i think they need to decide what they are looking for. Once students decide that, take their visits, and think about their options, they will be able to make the right choice. Parents helping should be supportive with whatever their child wants to do. After making the relieving choice and once attending the college, I would tell students to stay involved in many activities to meet new friends, and make lasting relationships to have an unforgettable college experience!

My college experience so far has been great. Going to college made me realize how import it is to go to school and become something. While I attended college I had the oppertunity to learn about society and how different things are now. I also had the opportunity to learn about a person growth and how are bodies and minds work. Although college can be hard at times it teaches us to never give on on our dream and that if we dream it we can always achieve it! Its very important to attend college because it prepares us for our future. College is like another fun discover place after the high school. I believe that It is all about picking the right college, trying your best at everything you do and never giving up on your dreams. From being in college for to years ive noticed that hard work defently pays off and that college can teach us precious things that will never be forgotten. Its always good to have education and theres never to much of it. We should always be opened minded about everything in life and take advantage of all the wounderful oppertunities we have avaiable

Try to find a college that matches your lifestyle and beliefs. For example, try not to attend a very religious college if you don't have any religious affiliation; or don't attend a conservative university if you have more liberal beliefs - this will make you feel out of place! Once in college, work on a balance between school and your social life - don't let one keep you from engaging in the other. Open yourself to new experiences, including new people, their cultures, new ways to think, and new activities. Don't go home every weekend! Join clubs or other student organizations. Choose your major very wisely. Never pick something because it makes a lot of money. Imagine something you would want to do even if you weren't getting paid for it - then choose that as your major. Also don't choose something simply because you're good at it. Great at numbers, but hate math? Don't be a math major! In summary, allow yourself to open up more in college - there's tons of new experiences waiting. Don't get too bogged down with one thing. Make it 4 years you'll really remember!

Spend some time at the school. Go to a football game, walk around the campus. I picked the school I am currently attending, based only on the advice of some friends - I had never visited the school before I applied. And while it worked out, it is dangerous to do something like that. Find a school that fits your personality - the size IS important, no matter what one may think going into this experience. Many schools have good lines of communication with families to let them know about upcoming events - that is comforting for parents letting their children go away. Overall, it's important to "fit your style." Look at the location - city, country, mountains, plains. Look at the proximity to your home...sometimes a high school student wants to "get away" only to find out later that s/he is homesick from being 10 hours away from family. Two final bits of advice...don't be afraid to change your major - being 18 does not mean you know what you want to do "when you grow up." It takes a long time to figure that out. And secondly...ENJOY college - don't rush it!

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that focusing on grades is a trap. Having straight A's doesn't mean anything if you fail to retain the information. As a high school junior I took general chemistry for college credit. I was determined to make an A. After many nights of over studying, endless eraser marks, taking tests over a set of information, forgetting old information and focusing on new information, I did. Now in my second semester of college, I am taking general chemistry 2. The notes are confusing at times and I have to do extra reading to prepare myself. I'm now realizing that I should have focused on learning and retaining the information rather than learning it just to receive that specific grade. The ability to think beyond what’s in a textbook and to see the connections to the world around you is much more important than a 4.0 average in the grand scheme of things. The world is littered with bright people who are failures because the only thing they were good at was school.

Knowing what I know now there are three major things that I would tell my former high school senior self. I would tell myself about applying myself and building relationships. One thing that I have learned in college is how to get things accomplished through applying myself. It took me awhile to figure out that I have all the power and knowledge I?ll ever need to accomplish any task set ahead of me. You just have to put forth the effort. If something needs to be done then do it, if you don?t know something then look it up, if you don?t understand something then ask the professor! Also, you have to be able to roll with the changes. This leads me in to building relationships. Whether it?s with teachers or students building relationship is high important. Not only is it nice to have some friends to hang out with, but it?s extremely beneficial to have students who know you subject of study to help you out with you school load. And it can be even more important to build these relationships with your teachers because they know more than you can imagine.

Dear DeAnna, I'm so proud of you for choosing to go to college at Pittsburg State University! I wanted to give you some advice before you go down to school, knowing what I do now. Do not be afraid to help others different from you. Coming from a small rural town, diversity was never an option, but at Pittsburg it is very diverse. Be prepared to learn from other cultures, other religions, and people that you never thought you would befriend, in the end it will help you become a more well-rounded person. Remember to put school work before play time. College gives you more freedom than you have ever had before, so you must learn to manage your time well. Don't procrastinate with your projects or you will get behind! Be sure to take every bit of advice that you receive from professors and try to understand where they are coming from. Pittsburg is full of opportunities and chances to stay involved, so do have fun, but remember that school comes first! Stay true to yourself and never change for anyone because you are amazing the way that you are!

I appreciate this school because it has my major which is Graphic Design. Because it is a small school you would think it woud be easier to filter different classes, but there are either a lot of students here, or there is not enough coursework. Most of the coursework surrounds teaching degree, since this is actually a teachers state college. I do appreciate the counselors and teachers in the school of Technology and I like the fact that I live off campus and close to that school. Campus life is not the best, there may be some things to do for some people. i think the fraternities and sororities have the best fun and activities. There are no black affiliates on campus. Since being social is not what I am here for, it has taken a toll on me to study and make friends with others. My major is not easy, it takes a lot of work, but my grades are different that what I think they should be. The teachers tell you , that you will make 1 grade then they give you another. Maybe if they like you good grade, if they don't then bad. I try hard.

College is great. There is so much freedom, excitement, new people, and best of all plenty of free time. This free time is really the huge difference between high school and college. Some use the free time to play their favorite video games such as Call of Duty or Halo 3. Others use their free time to sleep their life away and do absolutely nothing. Several find themselves going out several nights a week and getting intoxicated. This, by the way, I do not recommend. And then of course there are those who study almost every waking minute they are not in class. This however, I also do not recommend. I think the secret to being successful in college is to find the balance between both your social life (which can be very important) and of course your studies. Getting good grades should be your primary focus because; this is of course why you are there. To achieve and become something better than you are now. Students should stay on the task of getting their degree, starting their careers, and hopefully bettering the world in the process.