Pittsburg State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Pittsburg State University

derian

I used to attend Pittsburg State University as a freshmen, and although I thought tha campus was okay, I still felt like it was unfit for me. The cafeteria food is average to ehh, failing inspection with 11 violations. The dorms could also improve as they are old buildings

Love the availability of places to go to do homework and the atmosphere of the campus and students. I love that the faculty is always willing to tell you more about their field and how to get into it if the student wants. It is a beautiful campus and everyone is nice.

Sabrina

I think it is a great college to get the true college experience. There's a lot of school spirit and support of sports and other activities. The school hosts a lot of events to help everyone get involved. Teachers are also usually very enthusiastic about what they're teaching and seem like they want to be there. There might be a lack of shopping places but there's plenty to eat and plenty of parties and events to go to on the weekend. Plus, Joplin isn't too far if you really feel the need to go to a mall or something.

Christian

it was quite the seen from the students I knew

I love Pitt! Everyone is so nice and inclusive. It is not at all what I expected out a small town in Kansas, but I wouldn't go anywhere else. The food could use work, but the plans are reasonably priced. Facilities are great, and if you need access to anything, including professors, it's all right there! I love Pitt as a student and can't wait to go back!

Emmalee

Once A Gorilla, Always A Gorilla! I love my school and I would recommend Pittsburg State University to anyone, near and far! Teachers here are down to earth accessible, and on a personal level, classes aren't too big, friendly environment and we love our sports!

Morgan

If I could pick one word to describe Pittsburg State University it would have to be; welcoming. The campus is small enough where you instantly feel at home but big enough to not make you feel as if you are small fish in a big pond. The professors add to this by truly caring about their students and their success; they teach students to be fully prepared for their futures.

I love that the professors seem to try and get to know they're students especially the advisors. I also love the fact that most of my classes had no more than 30 students sometimes half that, and my largest class was 100 students, and as a result I didn't feel like I got lost in the crowd. I would definitely recommend this college to anyone looking for a good 4-year college!

As a student who moved out of my home state to attend Pittsburg State University, I couldn't have picked a more home like university to study and live for the next 4 years. PSU not only is a highly ranked university for many of their degree programs, but PSU is a place that has become a second home for me. PSU has the nicest people who make you feel oh so welcome. PSU is also the only University with a Gorilla as a mascot. We are unique. I love Pittsburg State University. GO...RILLAS!

Morgan

It is a small school in a small town but it is still a lot of fun and everyone is really friendly. There are a lot of clubs and there something for everyone and if there is not it is easy to start one. Classes are a good size and teachers are nice and very helpful.

Ruth

I love the campus - it is nice and compact. The professors are all nice and available to help when you need it. Cafeteria food could definitely be better. I feel safe on campus, and there are stations all over the campus if you don't feel safe that you can call someone to escort you. I am not into sorority life, and that is just fine - there is plenty to do on campus without the added expense of being Greek. Professors are super nice and friendly and very willing to help if you need extra assistance. Living on campus is great, very central to all parts of the campus.

Preston

I feel that it is a great school to start out in. I cant wait to start up there this fall and become a Gorilla. The campus was beautiful. There was a new sports complex and new dorms being built for students. Also, the student center is very nice and kept up very well. All around, I cant wait to go.

Yahzmen

I love Pitt State. I’ve experienced a lot while at this school. Pitt State has taught me how to be independent and responsibility. Pitt State has great class room sizes and the teachers are always there to help a student. They want to see everyone succeed.

Christopher

Pittsburg State University was my top choice in secondary education schools to attend. When I took my college visit here, from the moment I stepped on to the campus I felt immediately at home even if my house was two hours away. It was like a second family to me. The campus size was amazing, not to big and not to small, just perfect for any first time college student. Pittsburg State University is a great family feeling college.

Morgan

Pitt has great teachers and they are always available and has a lot of fun activities. Everyone is really nice and friendly and there is a club or organization for everyone and it is really easy to get involved. This is a easy place to call home. Once a Gorilla, always a Gorilla!!

Damian

While I am an incoming transfer student, I have before hand been exposed to the diverse environment that Pittsburg State University has to offer. Located in a small town, Pittsburg proves to support it's university through and through. Surrounded by the school logo at almost every turn, you quickly understand the love and support that bonds us as a community. I have no doubt that my experience at Pittsburg State University will be one to propel me towards new heights and I cannot wait for the years to come, and the friends, and experiences I am to gain. Gooorillas!

Morgan

I love Pitt State. It has the feel of a large university without all the traffic! The campus is absolutely gorgeous and so much care is put into every aspect of it, from the landscaping to the buildings. There's always something to do at Pitt! I feel very at-home here, which is exactly was I was looking for when I transferred here. It was the best decision I have made to date.

Juliana

I am a new freshman and I don't have a lot of opinions. So far I'm still trying to get adapt to the new environment with all the new people.

Ellie

Pittsburg State University is a very welcoming university. When I first decided to attend PSU I was worried about being by myself all the time and not having anyone that would accept me because they don't know me. As I started attending classes I noticed that most, if not all of the students that attend PSU are very friendly and welcoming to everyone even if they don't know you. Even if you're just walking by them they will smile and say "hi". PSU has an amazing campus also. I highly recommend checking out PSU's campus.

Tyreke

I don't know to be honest, I'm an upcoming freshman this year in 2017. I've heard from a lot of people that it's a great school to go to. I'm not entirely sure what i'm suppose to expect while my time there, but i remember my high school counselor telling me about the university and explain how it's a good place of study for my degree (Counseling Psychology) and I've had a little experience over there from the camp they held over at the football stadium and i've visited the indoor track too.

Laura

My first day at Pittsburg State University, I was so nervous. I didn’t know how my first day was going to go at a school with thousands of students. I LOVED it. It was the best first day ever. All my professors were so nice (even the tough ones). Still to this day, I haven’t had a professor that I thought didn’t care. All they care about is the students succeeding in their college careers. The office administration is always helpful. If I go to the wrong place by accident, they will direct me where to go in a kind manner. I do not have a single complaint about Pittsburg State University. I get to see my family often. It’s in a medium size city, which is fantastic because it’s not too big or too small. I give Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg Kansas a 5-star rate.

Anna

The campus is beautiful. The staff are usually available to help students. This applies even if the students are strangers or outside of their department. Pittsburg State tries to find the best placement for their students. The bi-annual career fairs, many extracircular activities, and campus services strive to help their students. The surrounding community is very supportive of school, offering student discounts all over town.

Sam

I went to Pittsburg State for a year before transferring to another college in another state. Pitt State is known to be incredibly cheap for in-state students with tuition being just around 4k a semester. Pitt State is huge on football and is celebrated all around its town, a town only as successful as it is because of the college alone. Overall I would recommend Pitt State to anyone because it's a close-knit community full of activities, games, and caring students.

Kori

Pittsburg State University is an awesome university that provides a lot of opportunities for people to get involved and expand their knowledge. They're continuously expanding the areas you can study and the topics you can take. The professors are mostly committed to our success and they want us to do well with our lives.

Brianna

If I had to describe Pittsburg State University (no, there is no 'h' at the end; yes, it is located in Kansas) in one word, it would be 'traditional'. Some traditions that students partake in throughout the years are family day, homecoming week, Apple Day, game-days spent in Gorilla Village and Carnie Smith Stadium, and many more. The most important tradition that all students at Pittsburg State University have the opportunity to experience is ringing the bell at the Centennial Bell Tower, which occurs on the first day as a freshman (welcoming the new gorillas to campus) and on the last day as a graduating senior (a reminder to students that once a gorilla, always a gorilla). Pittsburg is a small town, but the campus is without-a-doubt loved and supported by the community members within the city. PSU offers more than 200 undergraduate and graduate academic programs as well as different opportunities to be involved on campus. General education courses have the largest number of students, and program courses vary in how many students are in each class. Although Pittsburg itself does not have vary many places to go for entertainment (bowling alley, movie theater [$3.50 for students!]), Pittsburg is within a 45 minute drive to Joplin, Missouri and Miami, Oklahoma, and a two hour drive to Kansas City; Branson, Missouri; Fayetteville, Arkansas; Tulsa, Oklahoma. Who could forget PSU's beloved Gus?! Gus is the mascot gorilla for Pittsburg State University and loved by all of his fans. He can be seen at all sporting events, randomly on campus, and big events happening on campus (he likes to take a TON of pictures too!). If you are looking to find a place to call your 'home away from home', Pittsburg State University is bound to be at the top of the list. #OnceAGorillaAlwaysAGorilla

Rileigh

I love it at Pittsburg State University. The faculty and class sizes are my favorite thing about PSU. They want you to succeed and they will do anything to help you. The only downside is life outside of school. Pittsburg is a very small town and there isn't much else to do.

Leah

Pittsburg State is an amazing educational experience. You experience a learning environment even when you aren't in class. You learn real life cultural experiences. There are a wide variety of foreign exchange students and students from all over the United States.

Aspen

Pittsburg state is full of welcoming people. The university as well as the whole town is spirited. The school is well loved, by students and alumni. I feel safe walking in an area I know. There is a lot of support at Pittsburg State University. The campus is also beautiful year round, with areas to study ranging from libraries to park benches. The park is gorgeous with its trees and large pond. A wonderful place all round.

Kaylee

PIttsburg State University has helped me become the women I am today. The community is nothing like I've ever seen anywhere else. I always say it feels like a Division 1 college but tuition is obviously Division 2. The community is so involved in everything this university has to offer.

Sydney

It’s an amazing place to fulfill your potential educational experience. I loved visiting there because it felt like a safe and enjoyable environment. It’s a smaller town, so there are easier accesses to different things compared to a bigger town. It’s overall an amazing school.

My overall opinion of Pittsburg State University is that everyone should consider going there. I loved the school so much that I am going back a second time. I have already received my Bachelor’s degree from PSU and now I am starting my Master’s Degree. PSU’s education department is absolutely incredible. You can definitely tell that they care about you and your education. I could continue on and on about how much I love this school. Once a Gorilla, Always a Gorilla!

Dalton

Pittsburg State University is an excellent college for the south-eastern area of Kansas. Within Kansas, there is not much opportunity, but Pittsburg does a good job of expanding opportunity with student success oriented professors and decent curriculum. The class size is one of the best aspects of the experience. Most classes are under 40 students. General Education courses are typically under 100 students. I am a Psychology major, and I enjoy most of the classes. There are some unnecessary general education classes, but for the most part, the classes are a positive experience. Overall, Pittsburg State University is an enjoyable and beneficial university to attend.

Kahler

I'm a third-generation Pitt State student, and although it is tradition to attend, I would not have chosen another school for my education. The city, although small, becomes your hometown the moment you step foot in it. Everyone is friendly, and most places to eat and shop are local! Pitt State's football and cheerleading teams constantly win and are some of the best athletes in the nation, and you can almost always see a sea of crimson, gold, and gorillas anywhere in town. As we say, OAGAAG, Once A Gorilla, Always A Gorilla!

Victor

It is a very good school and the class sizes are small so that makes it a lot easier for kids to get help from the teachers. The small town feel is really nice and I like that a lot. There is a bunch of people there that are very friendly and they like to get to know people a lot. Overall I love the school a lot.

We have a beautiful campus, and a vibrant college town feel. our banana trees in the summer and tulips in the spring are always highly anticipated. The teachers and class sizes are amazing. I know that my teachers are always available to talk about school or even personal stuff because they care about their students so much. There is always something to do on campus, our activities board works very hard for us to have an amazing college experience.

Denise

Initially, my choice for Pittsburg State was based around its close proximity to home and its smaller size, however I quickly fell in love with the community as well. Some of the top priorities of the University apparent while attending were student inclusion, safety, and of course success. Almost every professor I had was dedicated to our learning and future success. One of the most remarkable has even gone to the extra lengths of writing an extensive letter of recommendation for graduate school, despite not being my advisor and only taking a few of his classes.

Caleb

Morgan

Pittsburg state university is a very nice school and has a gorgeous campus. Everything you need is within walking distance. On-campus living can be nice and t is very easy access to the rest of the campus. Food could be much better but they usually have at least small thing you could snack on.

Natalee

Pittsburg State University is my home away from home. Moving to Pittsburg was the first time I have moved out and lived on my own. The town is safe and welcoming to newcomers. Whenever I walk into a business, they are more than willing to help with anything we might need. Pittsburg State University Campus is the exact same way. Anytime a student needs help, we can walk into any building and ask for help with anything. PSU faculty, staff, and students always look out for each other. Even in larger classes, students can meet with their professors to discuss any difficulties they might be having. PSU is a campus that I recommend to anyone that asks about what university they should attend. It's definitely a university that will fit any student one way or another.

Jonah

Pittsburg State University is amazing. Every person there is friendly and helpful. The campus is extremely nice and there are improvements every year. Pittsburg Kansas keeps improving and the heart of the city is the campus. I urge anyone to join our alumni!

Abbey

I went on a visit to Pittsburg State and I loved the campus so much. It was so fantastic! I fell in love with the campus and everything about the academics. The tour guide was really kind and the whole day was so much fun. Rumble in the Jungle was very well organized and was truly wonderful.

Victoria

Pittsburg State on the surface is highly appealing and they sell it well, however it has pressing flaws that make it difficult to be fully happy. Their Art program is good, but outdated. Football is the priority in season, and their student resources are luke-warm at best. Counseling is preached but difficult to find. Financial assistance and "ease for students" is their gospel but if you call with questions, prepare for an attitude. It's cheaper than other schools in the area, but I cannot say it's worth the money. I cherish my memories and friends I have made here, but my education could be achieved elsewhere and be at the same level of quality. Perhaps better. It is not as groundbreaking as advertised.

Ashlynne

I think the campus is gorgeous. The first time I went to visit, I was in awe. The people who live in the town love college kids and are huge gorilla fans. The professors are really nice and personable. Everyone on campus is nice and are willing to help . with anything. An aspect I absolutely love about the campus is the campus police. They are real police officers who are located on campus which enhances the safety on campus. I recommend going to this school!!

I have met amazing people and have had great experiences. The people are what really make the university amazing. I have made friends in every classroom and got along well with most of my professors. I have worked as a resident assistant for the university for 2 years and have enjoyed the experience despite all the frustration that came with it.