Plymouth State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Plymouth State University

Plymouth State is perfect. It is big enough to not know everyone, but it is small enough whereas everywhere you go, you will likely see someone familiar. Not only is there decent academics, but there is also always something to do on the weekends. The party scene is great here for such small school. Also, there is always sports games going on. If you want to have fun but also focus on school, this is a great school to go to.

Jenna

Plymouth State University is a home away from home. The campus is small, the people are friendly and the community is so supportive of the university. You will see familiar faces while walking to class but also see new faces. Everyone is so genuine and nice. You are surrounded by the beautiful white mountains which are good for skiing and hiking. There is a sense of family and community at Plymouth State that to a lot of schools have.

Sophia

Plymouth State University has the best scenic views! Surrounded by majestic mountains and serene flowing rivers, it offers students a plethora of activities both in the fall and winter seasons! The quaint downtown and common areas, give you ample reasons to visit, for a cup of coffee, some lunch or just to shop at one of it's novelty shops. There are many opportunities to get involved at PSU, whether it is a job, sports or volunteer choices. The professors are eager to meet with their students and give much of their time to guide them to achieve success. I love Plymouth State University!

Carolyn

Plymouth State University is a beautiful, small school hidden away in the white mountains. It's placed right next to Main Street which has a string of shops for anything you might need from thrift stores, to an ice cream parlor, to a health food store. Five minutes away there is a Walmart, a grocery store, and a Marshalls. At this school there is a group for everyone, there are clubs galore, and if parties are your thing there's that too. Coffee in the morning was never so welcoming than when you get it at The Paw. The ladies there always have a smile for you and if you're a regular and treat them right they remember you very well. The arts department is well rounded in acting, dance, and music. The general education is rounded as well. The teachers truly care about the well-being and academic growth of their students, and simply ask that the student care as well. Out of all the overseers and staff of the university, from the President to the Dean to the Librarians, I have not met one I did not like and who did not treat me with respect, kindness, and care.

Lindsey

Plymouth State has been exactly what I had hoped it would be. I was searching for a community within another local community and I certainly found that. The staff and the students are extremely friendly and there is plenty to do both on campus and off-campus in the surrounding areas indoors and outdoors.

Very nice town, generally friendly people and staff. Class size is generally pretty small, 30 max unless in a lecture for psychology or other sciences. There are always activities happening throughout the week. We have a free ski day where there are no classes and you can learn to ski or snowboard if you don't already know how to. It's pretty cool.

Kennedy

Plymouth State has a beautiful campus. The people who attend/work for Plymouth State are some really amazing people. The only thing I would change is the amount of financial aid that is available. I unfortunately can't return this semester due to not receiving enough aid and not having someone to cosign a private student loan for me. I now have to watch all my friends move back in this weekend without me. Overall Plymouth is a great school I just wish they had more financial options available for students like me.

Toni

I love PSU, I’m going into my junior year and I couldn’t have asked for a better school. The English department is amazing. We are like a huge family. I’m on a first name basis with the entire department. The campus is gorgeous all year long and is well kept by maintenance crews. Housing can be a bit underwhelming but they are updating and renovating to make the living areas much better. Overall I think it’s an awesome school and I feel like I’m at home at PSU

Luke

Plymouth State University is an outstanding school. Regardless of your background coming to Plymouth State opens you up to a wide variety of people and an amazing atmosphere. The town and bar scene is amazing, as well as the party scene. When you're not spending your time studying, there's plenty of off campus activities to do, such as skiing, floating down the pemi or hiking. Overall, this school has truly changed my perspective on life and would recommend that everyone gives the university a shot. Thank you.

Kayleen

Plymouth is a good school with accessible professors who know everyone's names and even majors sometimes. Good class discussions go on through class hours but mostly end when class is over. There is a huge party crowd which if you care about your grades, like really care, don't partake in that, people start slipping and it turns into a crash at the end. The campus is beautiful especially in fall when all the leaves are changing, but gets into negative temperatures in the winter evenings and mornings. Skiing is a big pass time for students with a $5 pass to the nearby mountain for PSU students. Overall it is a good school, not too expensive for in-state but if you're looking for ivy league education, look else where.

jkhkj

Plymouth State University is a small community. Everyone knows each other which makes for a happy and safe environment. The first few weeks at Plymouth were very hard because I didn't know anyone, but whenever I needed help there was always a smiling face willing to help. Another great thing about Plymouth is since the class sizes are small the professors get to know you as a student as well as a person. All the professors want you to succeed as long as you put the effort in. I came from a small town in Vermont, and I can truly say the transition to Plymouth State University was an easy one because of these two point I made above. I feel as I am already part of the big family at Plymouth, and I cannot wait to see where the next four years bring me.

Jaelyn

I love it here! The whole atmosphere is great. Everyone in my major is like a family member to me already. Pretty much all of us get along and support each other. The people working in DHall are polite and even ask you about your day how you're doing. The professors I have are kind and caring. They only want what's best for you. Overall, Plym is a great community and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking to go to a smaller school.

Keeley

Plymouth State University is a great school in a beautiful location. The thing I love most about PSU is where it is located. You are perfectly surrounded by the wilderness. There are so many places to go hiking, fishing, camping, kayaking, and overall be involved in nature.

Allison

Campus is gorgeous! There is always people out and about, especially when it's warm, and they are very friendly, polite, and welcoming. If you don't seek out the parties, you won't really know about them. Everything is fairly centrally located and easy to find after you have been on campus for a few weeks. Professors are very helpful and always willing to meet with you if you are struggling. You are most likely going to be here for a least 4 years and you have plenty of room to make your experience your own.

Zachary

Plymouth State is a great school to go to if you are an outdoors type of person. The astonishing natural beauty of the campus and the surrounding area is amazing. We are just a short drive from several ski mountains and a national forest. The academics are great as well, the classes are just tough enough to teach you what you need to learn. The people are always friendly in town and on campus, and it is never hard to find a friend.

Plymouth State has been an amazing experience for my first semester of college, although its dining hall options, and it on campus housing could be better both of these are pretty comprisable to other colleges in the area. The people and Professors are all very approachable, and willing to help in any way they can! So far its been great!

Kayleigh

My overall opinions of Plymouth State University is that it is an okay school. There is a nice downtown area to explore, however I am usually pretty bored on campus. The dining hall does not offer many items that I can eat with my allergies, and I often find myself ill from the food served.

Carly

PSU is a great school if you are looking for an individualized, focused education. The class sizes are small giving you the opportunity to participate in class. You have the opportunity to really get to know your teachers. All clubs are open for participation where students can learn great communication and other skills.

giovanni

A really recommended college. A great place to start off especially coming from high school because it is everything you want to be part off. Starting of your adult life, it is the place you want to be. There is always something to do around here especially for someone new to the college life.

Martha

I was very excited when I found out I was accepted to Plymouth State. I had heard many good things about it and I'm happy to say the school has lived up to my expectations. I have made many friends and next year two of my high school friends are going to transfer in based on my experience in the first few months at the school. I look forward to the next several years.

Aurora

I absolutely love the environment of Plymouth State University. It was extremely easy to find a job and find people in the area to feel safe around and make memories. There is a strip of shops directly below the campus making it a 5 minute walk from any residential hall. It is in the mountains providing numerous opportunities for hiking, skiing, snowboarding, tubing and day trips. It also has a river running through campus granting students with many places to cool off and tan during the summer and spring months. Like most schools there are some cons to PSU. The residential halls are great for upper class men but the housing for freshman is dingy. Although they are outdated PSU has been working on renovated all the old dorms and recently built a brand new dorm building for upper class men. The academics for Plymouth range in quality. I have encounter some amazing professors as as well as some confusing unprofessional teachers. Lastly Plymouth has multiply breakfast and coffee cafes and two main dining options. If on campus dining doesn't hit the spot there is a whole strip of restaurants in 5 minute walking distance from campus. Overall Plymouth State has provided me with some of the most amazing people and the best memories I'll ever have and I'm only a sophomore. I can't imagine how extraordinary these next 3 years are going to be.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I have spent at Plymouth State University. I have enjoyed growing as both an individual and a musician. Plymouth has afforded the opportunity of connecting with musicians with who I would have never connected if I had not attended PSU. I enjoy the close-knit community that comes with being a student at PSU. I appreciate that everyone is genuinely interested in getting to each other as individuals.

Braeden

I love going to school at PSU! The students are intelligent and driven, the professors and staff are helpful and encouraging, and (with the exception of the housing department) the campus facility staff are a joy to deal with and the amenities and facilities are fantastic.

Michelle

Plymouth State University is an extremely eco friendly and diverse school. There has never been a time where I felt alone or lesser than someone else here. I believe that anyone who has spent time on this campus has something positive to say about it.

Abbie

Plymouth State University is a great college if you like to balance school and partying because there is a lot of that that goes on daily. If you are like me and are at school for just school not partying than if your going to Plymouth I recommend you live at home, there's not enough of us non partiers on campus. Plymouth has an awesome education program thats easy to learn from. I have no complaints on the faculty. The food seems to be only good when their are tours going on. Overall on a scale of 1-10 (ten being the best) my overall rating of Plymouth would be a 5-6.

Marissa

I have been enjoying my time at plymouth state. My favorite thing about the campus is just how much there is to do in Plymouth, New Hampshire. Plymouth is only about a hour drive to the white mountains. There is endless outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming holes, and breathtaking sights. The best part is that most are free which is amazing news to a college student! There is a lot of activities on campus, I feel like there is something for everyone. Classes are a good size not to small nor large. Most professors are really nice and really work with you. It might not be for everyone, but it is worth considering.

Sydney

Overall I find the school to be welcoming. The professors are very understanding and willing to work with their students, and there's always something to do on campus. There are plenty of resources students can use to make the grade, they encourage us every time we have a paper or assignment due to use them. Now the college isn't without its faults, the food is a bit gross at the dining hall. But, I do think that they have enough around to where you can manage. A Walmart a few miles down the road is perfect for getting what you need for a healthy meal!

Plymouth State is a lovely, cozy campus with tons of various activities to partake in. The staff are friendly and always available. There's always a ton of spirit on campus, too; we live for the sports and competition of literally any sort of activity. The people are incredibly friendly and welcoming, and no one really has a bad bone in their body. We all tend to know each other's names, and get along with those we see daily in our majors. The mountains, lakes, and downtown shops make the atmosphere that much more than any other college. It's a great little town and community, and I love being a Panther.

Jane

I initially thought this would be a great school for my daughter, but I’ve discovered otherwise. Unless you want your kid to graduate with an alcohol or drug problem, consider another school. Drinking is rampant on this campus, even in broad daylight. This school does not have a reputation as a party school for nothing. There is a culture of drinking. My daughter told me that someone walked right down the hallway of her dorm smoking pot, was caught doing it, and was not even issued a warning. I think the culture of no consequences spills into other bad behavior too. Kids get drunk and do stupid things like jump out of third story windows and through doors. To make matters worse, individuals on campus stole from my daughter and despite sufficient proof were not given any consequences for their actions. This school is in a beautiful location but don’t be deceived. Think twice about sending your kid there. I am not being naïve when I say it’s over the top, and not in a good way.

Casey

I love going to Plymouth State University. The classes are small and very interactive and everyone is extremely friendly. There are many things to do if you enjoy the outdoors such as skiing and snowboarding, hiking, kayaking, and exploring. There are clubs for so many activities including the arts.

Dymitri

It is a great school. Sometimes gets a bad rep for being a "party school" but any school can be a party school. Classes are a good size and there's always someone available to help you when you need it.

Lydia

I absolutely love it here! There's a lot of accepting people and I feel like I can be myself. The only big shortcoming is the cafeteria food. The options for someone who has a lot of food intolerances is basically non-existent unless you want to eat processed food all the time. However, I don't think a school should be judged based on how good the food is. The education so far here is phenomenal.

Alice

I have had awful experiences with financial aid,I don't think iv every had my information and account be accurate. Residential life treats its workers poorly and you don't get what you pay for living in dorms.Their is also almost no freedom to express ones opinions if ur a republican I'd turn around and attend another college.

I love the overall environment of Plymouth State both socially and academically. The smaller class sizes provide a closer relationship with the professor, which I think helps students succeed academically. All of the students on campus are friendly and approachable which makes for a really safe, comfortable, fun and positive environment.

Sabrina

The food is what really makes the school horrible. Also, the school doesn’t have any culture activities or exciting activities in the school. It’s boring at times and there’s a lack of engagement. I feel as if the school just makes the food a lot better and create fun activities that all the students would like, it would be great.

Kerri

I am a freshman here at Plymouth State University and as a first year student I have really come to enjoy it here! This place really feels like my new home. I have great friends, the professors are awesome and there's a ton of things to do around campus. The environment is very friendly and they want you to feel comfortable here no matter what. The campus is in a beautiful setting, surrounded by mountains. I really would recommend this school to any high school students; it is affordable!

Rebecka

I love Plymouth! The faculty and staff are so welcoming, even if you are not a currently enrolled student. they reach out to you if you have a question and answers them in a timely manner. There are so many different types of activities to be a part of and there seems to be something for everyone.

mary

From my time spent at Plymouth I can confidently say I am beyond happy with my choice of school. The smaller student population allows for much more personal relationships with professors, leading to an overall more supportive learning environment. Plymouth's campus is nestled in the white mountains with a beautiful view and exists within the cutest small town with small businesses and shops lining the main street area. My interactions with students at Plymouth have all been extremely positive whether they be an underclassmen or upper. Overall Plymouth State is a cheap option for students looking for a good education as well as an active lifestyle!

Jocelyn

Plymouth State University is a school that offers many opportunities to get involved in extracurricular activities and the outdoors. There are many positive aspects to the school yet there could be improvements in student privacy and housing options.

Ethan

It appears to be a very nice college and it would definitely be my top choice for a college because of the major I need. The environment of the college looks amazing and it looks like I would have a good experience there. I am still in high school so I don't know a ton about colleges in general but compared to some, this one definitely looks like a good college.

Lillian

The LGBTQ+ community is often pushed around and you are NOT allowed to change your name officially. Many trans and nonbinary students are dead named and misgendered constantly, as their dead name is their email and attendance name. The school ignores any action taken by the students, including petitions made to make name changes more accessible. If you chose to have a package delivered in your chosen name, you will be unable to retrieve the package or mail, even if it's delivered to your suite. Some buildings aren't ADA accessible, while some are broken. Then, on top of that, their allergen-free space is rarely stocked, making it impossible for some people who live in residence halls and are forced to spend thousands of dollars on a meal plan to eat there.

Veronica

Plymouth State University is one of the most beautiful campuses I have ever toured. Waking up everyday to the mountainous view from my dorm window is a fantastic start to my day. Unfortunately, the environment on campus at night can be extremely scary. My friends and I constantly walk with our friends to assure that we get to our destination safely. There is an enormous party crowd. Most of the time I am worried that the students at Plymouth State attend just to party every weekend. The classes are intriguing and the professors seem to care about the success of their students. Overall, I would recommend Plymouth State University to any student who is looking for an outdoorsy adventure while furthering their education

Alyssa

My time at Plymouth State University was some of the best times of my life. I learned a ton, both academically and personally, and it prepared be for life outside of college and in my future career(s). The townspeople are very nice and welcoming, and it always felt like my home away from home.

Brooklyn

Plymouth State university is by no means a perfect campus, though there are many good aspects to attending. If live high up in one of the residential dorms you will have an amazing view of the mountains and some windmills. I like that we encourage sustainability and respect for our environment. The drive for social change and political reform is immense at Plymouth State, activist students always encourage voting during the elections. A major complaint you will hear from a lot of students is that the quality of the cafeteria food is terrible. It is true, we receive the same recipes on a loop, and during non meal hours there is only pasta, pizza, salad, or sandwiches. I refrain from eating the meats at school because in good light you can tell the meat in undercooked, often it is pink on the sides. During our holiday meals last year the birds that got served had pink in them, it was so embarrassing because we had guests. However, other than the food, mostly everything else about this college is great. The dorms are quiet, the teachers are amazing, and students are chill and very smart.

Imanee

I really enjoy going to plymouth the people are nice and the teachers are awesome and easy going, but there are some class that i think should be required and that the workload and class load should be the same for every student. It should be have 5 class across the board not if your a music student you have your regular 5 class plus an extra 5 for lessons and choral lab and ensembles. I don’t think it's fair because if i had that many classes i would stressing out all the time and the amount prep i would to for each and i don't know how my friends exactly balance school work with personal and mental health but i don't think is fair to put a whole group of people under that kind of stress. Also what i mean by certain things should not be require is if i’m try to become a technical director then why do i have to take acting the just doesn't make sense to me because i'm never going to using the acting skills that i learned from a class that i'm paying because i want to become a technical director. Another that i don’t think should be required is first year seminar because they are useless, they give us a problem that they i know is unsolvable and make teacher teach a class that kinda doesn't pertain to their degree and have them teach it. Also what does not help is giving the teacher's directions on how to teach the class while their supposed to be teaching it this semester.

Keegan

Over all, I enjoy Plymouth State University a lot. The people around the campus are nice and everyone seems to really love the school. After talking to some students, you can tell that they care about different things. Some care about drama while others are into sports. The campus is great! There are lots of little shops downtown that are easy to walk to and it is not to far away from some cities.

Plymouth State University is a safe and welcoming community for everyone. No one here feels left out or secluded and their are opportunities and chances for everyone to have a wonderful time. You are almost guaranteed to make friends and have an amazing experience. The people here are wonderful and enthusiastic. There’s no place like Plym.

Michaela

Having transferred to Plymouth State University from a much larger public ivy-league, I have something to compare my educational experiences to. At PSU, I truly feel that my voice is heard and my opinion matters. We're a small school in central New Hampshire, but we have a lot to offer. Plymouth is a great little college town with access to a downtown, bars, local restaurants, and shops. PSU is an awesome school to attend if you're interested in all things outdoors due to our close proximity to the White Mountain region. For those who prefer a city, being two hours away from Boston, Montreal, Portland, and Burlington, we're situated at a great location for you. I've found that no matter your interests, you'll find your place amongst students at Plymouth State.

stephanie

I love Plymouth State university it is the perfect school for me! everyone is so nice and welcoming I can't wait to become a grad student here! My freshman year I was little nervous that I would be going to a small school but I found out that the size of the school doesn't matter. They have so many clubs and sports teams to help you male new friends and make you feel like you are at home!