San Diego, CA
Point Loma Nazarene University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Point Loma Nazarene University

tyler

My classmates are very academically focused students that are far too distracted by their computers and what the students next to them are wearing.

Some great advice to give myself senior self would be to stop being so lazy and start studying because it only gets more difficult in college. Unlike high school, reading the textbook readings for the week is almost mandatory in order to get a good grade on a test. High school is extremely simple compared to college, and I would also advise myself to stop worrying about my ex-girlfriend because I will eventually meet my future wife on the first day of college. I would tell myself that homework is there to help me, not take away my time. I would tell myself that the frienships I will make in college will become closer than ones I will have to leave. The one important thing I would tell myself is that I will mature faster and quicker than I ever thought possible in the first two years of college. I would remind myself that I am not yet a grown man, and that I will find my true identity in the years to come.

The worst thing about my school is that the school fails very badly when it comes to listening to what the students want. Changes are never made that resemble what the students actually want. For example, our very small weight room is almost always closed due to reserved time slots for athletes or classes. Despite the high number of complaints and number of athletic students that lift weights as a hobby, the times stay constricted to the convenience of the gym facutly.

Nabil

Point Loma Nazarene University is a beautiful campus with a stong comunity and a very well rounded religous feel to it.

The classmates at Point Loma Nazarene University are all very optamistic and happy, everyone here is willing to go the extra mile to make everyone feel welcome, confortable, and at home.

If I were able to go back in time and speak with my high school self, the first words of advice would be to not take for granted the amazing opportunities available to me to receive an education. Like many high school students, I did not see the necessity for paying attention in school, doing my homework, or even participating in extra curricular activities. As a current college student I personally went through the struggle of applying for universities and having to transition into the fast pace of college. I would make sure that my high school self would really understand the value of building a strong community and really enjoying life by saying yes, doing more, and being the helping and kind hearted person I know myself to be. I would show myself that even though change is scary and it will make life a little more difficult for a short time, if you work hard and really believe in yourself you can accomplish anything. Every struggle and conflict you come to face with will only improve who you are as a person.

Kimberly

Point Loma has a very strong sense of community. From the second you leave your dorm in the morning to the time you head back at night, there are always people stopping to converse with you and engage with you and who genuinely want to know how you're doing and want to be your friend. Because it is a fairly small school, people are able to get to know one another better more personally and this accounts for students as well as staff/faculty relationships.

Allow yourself to be transformed. That is the single most advice I would give myself in high school knowing what I know now about college. College is about learning and preparing for your future career but equally as important is what you put into the school and what you get out of it. Try new things, don't overthink things, don't overwhelm yourself, take a study break, go on a midnight Denny's run with friends, visit new places, put yourself out there. These are the transformational moments in a young adults life and these are the moments that will ultimately shape you. I would want my high school senior self to know that most of the struggles, conflicts, and hurt were temporary and that at PLNU I would find professors, mentors, and friends who would mold me and guide me through my worries, doubts, and celebrate in my joy with me. I would tell myself that I would be continuously surprised by the change that will take place within myself and the way God will radically mold you for the life He has called you into. Allow yourself to be transformed.

I think that PLNU is making small strides towards diversity and social issues. I think people looking for more diversity and a school that does not stress religion/faith then Point Loma is not the right school for them. There is no diversity at this school, the demographic is about 97% white and the stress of faith and religion can be overwhelming and counterproductive most times because it's as if it is being forced. A student who wants their own spiritual journey would not feel at peace here.

Macy

My classmates are kind and thoughtful toward me and the classwork.

My classmates are kind and thoughtful toward me and the classwork.

Looking back, I would tell myself to embrace the people around me in high school. I often found myself dreaming about the future and becoming more and more eager to be in college and overlooked the relationships I had in high school. I would tell myself to go out to more school sponsored events, to work harder in classes and to find joy in everything I do. It is amazing how time really does seem to fly by and before you know it, you're in college. College is a wonderful experience and part of life but high school is as well and it is something you can never return to. All in all my advice to myself would be to: make the most of every situation, cultivate relationships with everyone and work hard in class. It seems so simple yet it's so simple to forget.

Point Loma Nazarene University is a great school with a great reputation. Anyone can attend, but there are regular church sessions and many religious students on camps so anyone who attends should be okay with that.

Joyce

Classmates at a private residential school tend to actually attend class which is helpful when group projects and discussions take place, and although most of my friends were not in my field of study, I found my classmates to be pleasant, reliable, and interesting.

College is almost impossible to prepare for. One may be fully capable of handling the academic load, yet may struggle to form friendships. Others use college as an opportunity to meet new people and experience life apart from familial boundaries, but may sacrifice thier scholastic career. Every person will deal with his or her own difficulties in adjusting to college life; however, the right attitude can completely change the prognosis. I have compiled a list of mantras that could benefit incoming students. 1. Get sleep. (And not during class.) 2. Make time to eat. (It sounds silly, but you will not have routine meals provided by your mother.) 3. Professors are your friends (When you are about to graduate and are looking for jobs, you can count on professors to help you network...assuming you didn't skip too many of their classes.) 4. Smile. (It's much easier to make friends when you look amiable and approachable.) 5. There is light at the end of the tunnel. (At one point or another, you will likely feel like college is overwhelming. Know that it is invaluable, and that it will end.)

There are a lot of things that I did not know before I attended college; however, I believe it was necessary for me to discover those things on my own and learn how to deal with them, and, essentially, learn how to be an adult. Everyday, we will encounter situations that we feel unprepared for. I believe that college gave me the opportunity to adapt to many circumstances, and this skill has transferred to my post-college life. The best advice I can give is not to fear the unknown, but to embrace it.

Carl

Hi Carl, this is you in the future, 13 years from now. I want to give you the benefit of my experiences to help prepare you for what life holds for you. I know you won’t go back to school this fall, I understand why. Take this year to establish yourself, however I also know you have always wanted to do computer related work and college is the only way you are going to get it. The cost of school is only going to go up so now is the time to start. I wish 13 years ago I had the attitude about school and life in general I do now. Although you will get a decent job not too long after high school, don’t use that as an excuse to not go to college this is far too important. Work and go to school, it’s not as hard as you or I thought, and the relationships you gain at work are greatly beneficial to you later in life. Take this advice to heart and follow your passion, it will be one of the best decisions you have made in your life. Thank you for your time.

If I could go back to my high school career, I would make sure that I took more core classes and got my advanced diploma. If I had taken more classes, I wouldn't have had to take as many remediation classes in college. I also wish that I had a definite decision on my major before leaving high school. It would have saved me taking the wrong classes during my freshman year in college. I would have worked on putting more money aside to help pay for my classes so it wouldn't be a burden on my parents.

Claire

Classmates are always friendly and open to sharing and/or helping with class material but this can lead to students relying heavily on one another for assistance.

I would suggest a steaming cup of coffee and a smooth rocking chair. Prepare as much as you are capable of doing, but not with unnecessary strain. Know that no amount of preparation, prayer, support and enthusiasm can fully prepare you for the college "experience". Some things you will have wasted time worrying about and other matters had not even crossed your mind. Acknowledge you are going to at one point feel entirely unprepared or inadequate but don't allow yourself more than a few moments to let this settle before you begin to prepare for what you did not know to expect. All this can be assisted by a short pause to breathe and have a cup of coffee. Remember what's important to you but don't be afraid to change parts about yourself. This is a cycle: acknowledge, sip coffee, re-prepare, and reconstruct. Repeat as necessary. College should be taken seriously but remember to enjoy the blessings, respect the time and people, and love it for all the opportunity it will surprise you with.

The inconsistency of administration as a private university is innappropriate. The school investors control much of the campus life, such as clubs that are/are not approved, as well as activities that will not be supported by the campus because of conservative Nazarene alumni/faculty/investors. For example, homosexuality and non-traditional roles for women in the church/household are not accepted. The students are well taken care of, however this causes dependency and stunted maturity that does not prepare them for post graduation responsibilities. Ethnically diverse students are used for advertisement and it is wildly unrealistic.

David

First off, you need to take college a lot more serious than high school, this isn't a cake walk. You need to do all of your homework, because that will hurt you more than a test. You can no longer skate by this is for real. The professors are nice but you need to work because you earn the grade you get here, you can not skate by your whole life. The most important thing is you need to realize your full potenial, you can make a difference if you put your mind to anything you do. Remeber, to have fun but work hard on your grades and you will go far in life. Everything happens for a reason keep pressing foward, and give it your all.

Alexis

If I were to talk to a high school senior about to enter college, I would tell that student a number of things. First off, I would tell that student that studying is crucial. In college, there isn't a lot of homework. One's grade is based off tests. If the time and energy isn't put into studying for a test and that test is failed, then it is hard to recover from that bad grade. Second, I would advise the importance of attending classes. Often times, important subjects are discussed in class and if a student doesn't show up, then that information isn't passed onto them. Finally, I would strongly encourage making strong friendships with fellow students. It is important to surround ones self with friends that can support them through hard times and just be someone who one can share a laugh with. There is a lot of pressure in college and it is important to have some sort of an outlet.

I believe the best thing about my school is the small close knitt community within it. It isn't a large school so it provides opportunity to meet people and interact with people of various backgrounds and cultures. My school also has amazing teachers who are dedicated to a student's success and is willing to go beyond standard protocal and help students.

A person looking to attend Point Loma Nazarene University should be willing to be surrounded in a Christian surrounding. Almost everyone there is a Christian and has strong morals. There is a strong moral code and people not willing to listen to the rules probably shouldn't attend this school.

Point Loma Nazarene University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.