San Diego, CA
Point Loma Nazarene University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Point Loma Nazarene University

Shauna

The biggest advice I would give to highschool self is to do your best and think about your future. I really messed highschool up just because I just wanted to hang out with my friends. I had really good grades, but having good grades meant that you were a nerd and that was not cool. I screwed up so much that I ended up having a child at 16 years of age. I never had my future in mind at all when I thought I was being so "cool!" Now I am having to pay for it. I would truly tell my highschool self to take highschool seriously because I have the rest of my life to think about! Highschool is not like what real life is about, but you can go far in life if you take highschool seriously, do your best and get into a great college. You will then have the rest of your life to do what you want and by then, you will be much more mature and will be able to make much more mature decisions. Think before you act. Being "cool" in highschool is not all that it is cracked up to be!

Frank

College is harder than you think it's going to be. Ask for help, I know you think you don't need it, you think you have to do it on your own. You don't. It doesn't mean you're weak if you ask for help. It means you know and recognize your limits and aren't afraid to tell other people about them. You're going to have so much free time and no one's going to check up on you, no one's going to make you go to classes. Go to them. Do your homework. Make sure you do that first before you do anything else. Get out of your dorm and stay out of it. Take the iniative with other students, even if you're not sure they want to do something with you, ask. You won't make any friends, and you'll be miserable, if you don't seek out other people. I know you're worried about pushing yourself on other people, you don't want to be a bother. If you don't take the iniative though, they won't know you want to be friends, just ask, try.

I would tell my High School Senior self to focus and develop some study skills. Many teachers say that you are paying to be there but do not require you to show up for class. Do not listen to that sentence because attendance is mandatory and required to do more then just receive a passing grade. Attendance and asking questions are two of the most important tools a student can have while in class that may be beneficial when studying for the mid-term or final. In High School it was generally alright if you didn't do the nightly reading but in college the professors actually expect that the students did the reading and go on teaching the next lesson not summarizing the chapter you were supposed to read. Focus, study hard, attend class, and for goodness sake ask questions.

I wish I would have known who to talk to; advisors, counselors, etc. I was a transfer student and receieved little help on finding out who I could go to in order to do certain things. It wasn't until I emailed everyone in a department until finally someone responded to me with the information. My advice is to just pick the department heads and seek guidance by them regardless if they are "assigned" to you.

I'm fortunate to go to such a great and beautiful school that makes this question hard to answer. If I had to change one thing it would be the same as the one thing I would have like to have known before attending. I would change how students know who their advisors are. I would like to have it specifically listed on the schools webpage.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself in high school I would inform myself how important it is to prepare ahead of time. I waited until last minute to sign up and take to take the Praxis I test and to apply to colleges that I was not ready to graduate with my AAT degree when it came time to apply. So i had to wait to apply for the next graduation date and it put me behind. Then i had to take a semester off because i did not look into financial aid or scholarships for schools. I hadn't even applied to colleges yet. When my last semester at FCC came to an end i realized i was not prepared for anything and that it took a lot more time to tranfer to a college than i had thought.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to slow down, take a breath, and that things were going to change dramatically, but all for the better. My parents filed for divorce during the fall of my senior year, and I put a lot of pressure on myself to be perfect. It was something I could control and no one could take that from me, no matter how much family turmoil there was around me. I think I would have enjoyed school and my friends more if I had my future self to talk to, and to assure me that what I was going through was not, in fact, the end of the world, and though the future looked dark and awful, eventually the sun would shine and I would come out on the other side as a stronger, more confident version of myself.

Breanna

If I could go back and tell myself what I know now, one of the first things that I would say would be to study and to not get too overwhelmed by all the stress that comes with college. I would say that of course there is going to be stress, but just to not let it affect studying and work, and to definitely prepare by learning more studying techniques while still in high school, as opposed to trying to figure out what works best for me in college. Another piece of advice I would give myself would be to put more hours into studying, instead of just hoping that I learned enough in class and that a couple hours of study will help me to pass. Studying is crucial because there is so much mroe information to retain compared to high school. But besides that, there isn't too much else that I would tell myself. It would be basically just enforcing what I know and following through with what I start.

Viviane

Point Loma Nazarene University is unique because of it community and location. Point Loma have a great community that students get to call home when they live on campus.. You will be walking down campus and all you see is smiles from the other students. The greatest thing about our campus is our location. We live on the beautiful cliffs of San Diego and have ocean all around. We get to eat dinner watching the sunset. All we have to do is look a little pass our campus and see the gorgeous environment around us.

Dear High School Viviane, Hey! It's you in the future. Yes I know it's crazy, but just listen. You need to get on it! I know you want to enjoy your summer, but start getting ready for college. Start to buy things now, to spread out your finances, instead of buying everything at the last minute. Buy your books now! Don't wait until the first week of school. Don't worry about friends, you'll find some great ones. Just make sure you don't miss out on opportunities to hang out with them. I know you will be tired, but skipping the nap will be worth it. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. They will like who you are, so don't be scared. My greatest advice to you is to enjoy every moment of it. Take advantage of the midnight adventures, the gorgeous view, and the beach! You will have time for it all. Academics, work, your boyfriend, and a social life. Not going to lie, your sleeping habits might suffer, but it is okay! I love you! Remember to love yourself! With Love, Viviane in college

The best thing about or school is also what makes us unique, which is th view of the beach that we are so fortunate to have. I get to look out and see the waves crash onto the shore because we are on the edge of the ocean. The sunset on the ocean never gets old as the sky turns shades of purple, pink, and orange.

Jacklyn Monique

At Point Loma Nazarene University we have a wide variety of students, in my expeirenceds I have seen a great amount of dedicated and scholarly people who have a passion and urning for knowledge.

Point Loma Nazarene University is unique because of the sense of community that is upheld here by not only the students but by the teachers as well.

If I had the opertunity I would tell my self to begin prioitizing assignments and develop the habits that will benefit you in college. I would also would tell myself to really look in to what you want to do with your life so you have a clearer picture with more time.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice for the coming transition to college, I would tell myself a few things. First I would advise myself to keep good communication with my family. This is because with the college life, I have seen myself get distracted with all my friends and classes but family is very important. And another thing I would tell myself is to stay organized and remember the reasons for going to college. With college comes exciting new times with friends and good memories but education is a huge part that is very important to pay attention to.

The best thing about my school is its atmosphere. It is a religious school, which automatically adds a sense of community on campus. Second I am surrounded by people who have the same lifestyle and values. It is an enriching and welcoming environment.

Rashawna

DREAM BIG, because you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. College seems like a scary thing as a graduating high school Senior. You will have a lot of freedom, no parents or siblings breathing down your back. It will just be you and your goals in life. Even though college seems a bit scary, don't make that fear hold you back from accomplishing all you can. College will open up so many doors for you. Take a grasp on your future. Look for those opportunities, while you are studying in college, that will give you an extra education outside of the classroom, in order to make you into a well-rounded person. However, know that you are not alone. Your classmates, your roommates, your professors, and the staff at your college want you to succeed. Share with them your goals and dreams, and listen to their advice with wisdom. To make the most of your college experience, make good friends, and be an active participant in the social life of college. Having a balanced college life of academics and socialization among peers will bring you the best college years of your life. Embrace it!

Point Loma Nazarene University has an amazing support system of staff and professors. I was able to openly speak with any staff in the Admissions Office, the Financial Services office, the Records office, etc. All people from all offices were very helpful and truly wanted to the best for me and my college career. The professors I had in my upper major classes put a lot of interest into me, my classwork, and my future career. They always looked for internships and job opportunities for me and gave me great reccommendations.

I wish I had known about all the great clubs, groups, after school activities that are provided to all studetns, before I came to the school. Since I already had a part time job and over the minimum amount of full-time classes, I wasn't able to participate in all the different activities, becuase my time was filled up. I still attended as many events as I could, but wish I had given myself some more free time in order to participate in more.

Point Loma Nazarene University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.