Point Loma Nazarene University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Point Loma Nazarene University

Kate

Point Loma Nazarene has always been a welcoming university. To be now a student in the University has been life changing. Point Loma has a great support system no matter what background you’re coming from. The Faculty members and the professors play a role in your life. They guide you to the right direction in what you need for your major and your career. During this time, they’ve been extra reassuring about our wellbeing and our education. Students here in Point Loma are very kind. You can never pass by a student without saying Hi; everyone will say Hi even if they don’t know you. Point Loma has a positive environment. The University is a safe place where it has security and bus transportation for students. Also, Point Loma is near the ocean. Point Loma has a beautiful campus that is breathtaking. Locales would come into the University to go surfing. The University has good connections with the community. Point Loma Nazarene has an upstanding characteristic. I believe that Point Loma Nazarene University is the best.

Florentine

Point Loma is a beautiful school even if it doesn't American football. The most thing I like about it is that it has a small-sized class and that's good for me because I work better in small sizes than a class of 200 students. I really hope they can accept me. Point Loma is not diverse because it's expensive and people of color can not afford it unless they are offered a scholarship. Being at a school that does not have p[people that look like you can be weird. Other than that, It's an amazing school.

I am so glad that I chose to attend Point Loma Nazarene University. The campus is beautiful, which provides a great break from studying. But I was impressed by the sense of community that permeates across campus, the accessibility to my professors, and the overall experience. This has become one of my favorite places and designates one of the best times of my life. While PLNU might not be for everyone, everyone is welcome. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to attend.

Juliet

It is a safe, beautiful campus with an amazing community filling it. I have yet to meet a rude or apathetic staff member, and have met and seen and heard of quite a few that are the opposite. The classes can be hard, especially if you have one of the more demanding majors like Nursing or Bio-Chem, but the staff and your fellow students make it much easier, along with a very accessible tutoring center available for most if not all classes. Fellow students are for the most part a very welcoming and nice community, with very little partying going on. If partying is your thing, PLNU is not the school for you!

Point Loma Nazarene University is a great school; it's safe, friendly, and has a great view. It's a small campus with only a few thousand students, so friendships form among many students. The cafeteria food gets a little boring after a while, but it's amazing and worth the sacrifice.

Point Loma Nazarene University has changed my life. I am orignially from Colorado, so moving to San Diego, California where I've never been before was a little scary, but more than anything, was so exciting. The campus is beautiful because we are right on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Anytime I feel overwhelmed, I just go out and sit on the benches at the cliff and just look at the palm trees, ocean, and beach. There is such a positive, peaceful, and fun atmosphere to Point Loma. The campus feels extremely safe and I never feel afraid to go out alone. The "caf" food is pretty good, but just like anywhere it does have its bad days. Since its located in San Diego, there are always things to do and places to explore. I never find myself bored. As for the academics, Point Loma provides rigorous and challenging classes that will really extend you mentally and spiritually as well. The professors all know your name, and since the school is so small you know almost everyone there which can be a good and a bad thing. Chapel services are usually good, but sometimes they are purely informative about the school. Overall, I love Point Loma Nazarene University, and I am so glad to be attending here.

Point Loma is known as a great school because of it's location. It lies right on the edge of Sunset Cliffs in San Diego, and it is absolutely gorgeous. I noticed the school because of it's beauty, but I fell in love with it because of its community. The professors truly care about their students, and there are good people to be found around every corner. The school is old, and some of its buildings and practices are outdated, but the staff has been working hard in recent years to communicate with students and modernize the campus.

Toni

Point Loma Nazarene University has its ups and downs. Personally, I love the campus, people, professors, and classes. As a student in the nursing program, the course load is rigorous and does not allow for much time to participate in other extracurricular activities. But, the general student body is very active in the community, with volunteering and serving opportunities.

Alesia

Point Loma Nazararene University is a one-of-a-kind school and once you're on campus you may enter the 'Loma Bubble'. The term Loma Bubble comes from a feeling of calmness and nothing serious that happens in the world is ever talked about on campus. The school is right on the edge of the California coast and most of the students that attend the school live for the water and surfing. The surf culture completely dominates the student body. Another important aspect about the school is the christian atmosphere. Students are required to attend chapel and most clubs and organizations hold God at the center. In regards to academics, class sizes are perfect and professors care a lot about attendance and invest in their students. This school is truly like no other.

Jaden

PLNU is incredible. Not only is it right on the ocean, but the school is dedicated to academics and walking with students through their journey both academically and spiritually. It's not too big that you aren't noticed by professors, but it's not too small that you've met everyone within the first week. Chapel is a requirement and faith is often talked about in the classroom--they're biblically oriented and very open to any worldviews, but they aren't afraid to share theirs. It won't be forced on you, but you will hear it often. Overall, I would highly recommend PLNU to anyone who's serious about their academics and looking for a community to belong to.

Kate

PLNU is a great university. It has something for everyone and everyone feels included. It challenges you in areas of faith, academics, health, and many other areas. The people and teachers there are amazing, and I love it for that. It is also right on the beach, so thats a huge plus. It is also not a big school, so you feel like you know most people. It is also not to small, so you still get the college feels. It is great!

salena

PLNU is a great school to attend with it has great class sizes, a friendly culture, and an amazing staff/faculty. The professors are easy to get in touch with and with the smaller class size, there is always a way to ask questions and are always ready to help when needed. Not only that but they always seem to care and are interested in our lives.

I personally like it; this type of school best fits those who come from a religious upbringing or for those who feel that the Christian religion is an important factor for their personal growth and everyday life. The school is relatively small so there is this strong idea of the campus itself being a community among students living within school grounds. What I really like is that the professors are actually there to help you; they actively go out of their way to talk to students and actually want to help them to strive for success. Many of my professors openly encourage us students to go talk to them in their offices and I've seen faculty openly go out of their way to talk to students one on one to see how they're doing academically and spiritually. Another thing which is super nice about this school is the view; the school is situated in the Sunset Cliffs area which means that student access and view of the beach is greatly accessible; if you are a beach lover and love to see the coast as well as the sun set within the ocean waves, this is the campus for you.

Steve

My opinion of this beautiful campus is that for starters, when you drive in the campus, you feel welcomed by our security and then the scenery welcomes you. The cross that is probably the first thing you will notice once you start driving in is a beautiful symbol of how dedicates the school is to teaching the students everything they can about God. The classrooms just scream "welcome, these rooms are cozy size", you feel so good in your classes because they are small meaning that there are less students and more professors to work with which to me as a student is such a blessing because I would never be able to attend huge universities because I wouldn't be able to receive that one on one experience I need with my professor that I need to help me get through the year. When you walk in the cafeteria, it is basically a small buffet and there are pretty tasty choices and the food is prepared fresh everyday and this is coming from someone who loves food a lot. The programs here are taken seriously because professors value education and do not want the students to waste their time, money and efforts in a program that does not fulfill their education needs. Overall I would say that I will stay here in school and do not plan on leaving because the community here is just very friendly and so peaceful and let's be honest, you cannot beat that ocean view because it is just a very scenic view, you get to study right next to the ocean so if you are every bored then just walk down to the cliffs and admire the view or go surfing because we do have a surfing class here for those who love to surf. I am not a surfer myself but I do recommend this school for those who do surf, The dorms here are very friendly and if you have trouble making friends then before you know it, you'll be hanging out with some lovely people. This school has been my school of choice since I was in 8th grade and fell in love with the ocean view because it just has this peaceful feeling of welcoming all those who enter. I will for sure love to see more people come here.

Rt

Aside from the breath taking view that the campus offers of the Pacific Ocean symbolizing the vast opportunities that the school provides for students, Point Loma Nazarene University is one of those places where community is alive and everyone is on a spiritual journey, yet no one is left alone. Coming to this school has offered me so much hope, faith, and enjoyment in the journey that I am on and it also allows me to look at the world with a broader and bigger perspective. The school really touches base with unity, and the importance of building off of the resources and others around us in order that we might all go through our journey to become the best we can be. It really is a place where people are meant to thrive, students are meant to grow and faith is an important aspect of everyone's life that is not overlooked, no matter where we may come from.

Toni

Point Loma Nazarene University is a highly regarded school with rigorous academics and a beautiful campus. I lived on campus my freshman year and it was so amazing to be living within walking distance of the beach! I was able to study on the cliffs, take classes with an ocean view, and meet all sorts of different people.

Rebecca

Point Loma Nazarene University mesmerizes visitors as soon as their eyes overlook the outstretching ocean resting beneath the famous Sunset cliffs. For many students, the gorgeous view and the ocean's accessibility are enough to commit then and there; however, once their first semester begins these people start to slowly second guess their immediate decision for all the university's misconceptions. One of the greatest appeals for the university is its close proximity to the beach, yet with this distance comes "surf shack" like dorms that are kept to a low cleanly standard. Additionally, there are few sports and intramural teams offered, making those who desire an active college experience limited. Furthermore, the cafeteria is more tolerable than students tend to illustrate, having consistent food groups offered and tasty choices rotated throughout the week. Although there are days without any new or improved options, the cafeteria always has food to offer.

Kyera

cool school

Haylee

Point Loma is a school for everyone. There is a group, club, and class for all to get involved with. Nothing feels forced and everyone knows everyone. The environment and culture is so real and down to earth. If you wanted to go to the big game or support one of your friends, tons of other people you barely know would be down to kick it as well. Point Loma is an overall amazing campus with an even more amazing vibe.

Sneha

Point Loma has amazing faculty and they are very nice and super helpful. People are very nice as well and it is a safe and secure campus also teachers have their doors open all the time so you can go in and ask questions anytime you want. The environment is just amazing and a lot of cultural and fun cubs you could join also a lot of fun things you can do around the area as well. Can't wait to join!

Victoria

This university is a BEAUTIFUL place to be! The scenery alone is refreshing. You have an ocean view all over campus, so it is easy to find a moment to breathe, relax, and regroup amid all the stress of classes. The majority of Major courses have small class sizes so the professors are attentive and accessible for each student. The main issue is the lack of ethnic diversity on campus. Unfortunately, I witnessed and experienced racial prejudices with some students and professors.

Miriam

I am attending to Point Loma Nazarene University because I applied to a pre-college program for Biology 101 and Writing 101. The teachers from Point Loma Nazarene University had provide us help, and comfort and every class since the first day of pre-college.

summer

Point Loma is one of the best schools that I have ever visited in my life, Once you arrive on campus, it is beautiful with the buildings, greenery, clean campus, and the vast view of the Pacific Ocean. Walking around campus, I could feel the sense of community with the number of clubs and activities they offer but also through the student body. Everyone was so friendly and truly cared about their education. When I visited a lecture, the students were involved and participated in the class and asked thoughtful questions. The professor cared about the students and wanted them to succeed. Overall, Point Loma Nazarene University is a college that is well respected and has high ratings.