Winter Haven, FL
Polk State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Polk State College

Dianelys

i think polk state college is a fantastic campus , i feel super comfortable there,and is also cheap which is something important too.The only problem in my case is that i need to transfer to another university after the first two years because they don't have the Computer Science carrer.

Krishana

Polk State is a great school for someone looking to stay around this area for the rest of there lives. But it is also a great school to get into for 2 years before you go to a university and spend more money and later find out that you don't really like school as much as you thought you did.

Shabana

Polk State College is a good starter college. If you have financial trouble, you can go to Polk State College and transfer afterwards to make sure you are financially stable. You can pick a transfer major and take classes here for a lower price then taking it at the other college. Overall you can take the weight of classes of your shoulders once you transfer colleges.

Monay

It is an affordable college experience, while maintaining a family life.

It is an affordable college experience, while maintaining a family life.

First and foremost, I would have given the advice to wait until college graduation for children. As a teenage mother, I can speak firsthand on the difficulty of raising children, working full time, and pursuing my degree. I would have advised myself to pursue other means of funding my education, other than the food industry. Working for minimum wage is tiring and does not produce the ideal time for study. I would have told myself to focus mainly on my education instead of my social status. I would have advised that I listen to my elders, not my peers. I would not change any obstacle that I have undertaken throughout my high school and college careers. I feel that the trials of my life sculpted the details of my personality. Without my children, I cannot say that I would have the same value for education. Without my past employment in the food industry, I would not have the same gratitude for my nursing career. If not for many that impersonated friendship, I would still remain gullible. If not for the struggle of flourishing in an indigent environment, I would not have valued a better opportunity

Aaron

Great school to decide what you wanna do in life!

Great school to decide what you wanna do in life!

we have a lot of people that either want to become a nurse or use the school to get an AA. It does have a lot else to offer including engineering, criminal justice, physical therapy assissting, music, etc

Mainly soccer games or chillin doing SAB or SALO events

work oriented they know how to have fun.

their ok. i didnt go too off course with what i thought i wanted but its was very diverse

Valerie

Polk State College offers a quality education without the increased price tag. The tuition at Polk State College is reasonable enough to allow everyone the opportunity to further their education. Polk States also offers a number of financial aid and scholarship opportunities that assist students in paying for their education.

To my High School self, I understand your eagerness to exert your independence. I know that you can not wait to be on your own, but please beware. Too much freedom is a bad thing. There are temptations everywhere, and you may find yourself, as I did, in over your head. In college, I yearned to take advantage of my new found freedom. I began drinking, using drugs, and skipping classes. My grades began to fail, and I fell into a deep depression. Believing that there was no other way out, I intentionally overdosed on pills. My suicide attempt failed, so I ran away from college. I dropped out of society, and became homeless. My days were spent panhandling for money and food, and my nights were spent sleeping in the woods. I found myself in the lowest possible place, not knowing how I ended up there. Please do not make the same mistake I did. Keep your family close. They will ensure you remain focused on your goals. Do not be afraid to ask for help. There will be plenty of time to spread your wings. Be patient and dedicated, and, I promise, it will be all worth it.

Polk State College prides itself on ensuring the success of their students. Advisors are available to meet with students anytime, to discuss their education goals and develop a plan. All staff are friendly and helpful. The TLCC center provides tutoring for all classes, and the online Smartthinking service gives students the opportunity to recieve assistance with term papers, essays, and projects

Amber

This school is very fun but laid-back, and that makes it hard to focus on studies - but if you buckledown you can enjoy plenty of social time and still get great grades.

If I could go back to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to buckledown on applying for scholarships and completing volunteer hours. Transitioning from high school to college is hard enough without having to worry about money troubles contantly. As well, I would forewarn myself that it is easy to get caught up in the clubs and social life on campus, and focus instead of my studies. Of course, don't cut out clubs completely because they can be a lifeline when school gets to stressful. Last, I would have to say... don't panic. Things will get tough, tougher than they ever were in high school, but I can make it through. Yes, being in college is a new level of being responsible, but its not as bad as it seems. There are people out there - friends, teachers, family - who can and will help you make it through. Its not the end of the world if you get a "B", but I should always do my best. Most importantly, keep moving forward!

Someone who is expecting a challenge would not do well at this school - it tends to lean toward very lazy curriculum and a more social atmosphere so any in-depth learning has to be done on one's own.

Callie

I don't attend the Winter Haven campus, I attend the Lake Wales campus but it wasn't listed in the selection. PSC in Lake Wales is most known for the lack of parking, location and size of the campus. There are 5 classrooms in the whole building.

I was a senior during the 2011-2012 school year. If I could go back in time I'd slap myself in the face. I was too wrapped up in a relationship with my boyfriend to enjoy my senior year. Sure, I had friends and we saw each other every day but outside of school I was always talking to my boyfriend or hanging out with him. I would tell myself to dump him because being with him wasn't getting me anywhere in life. I was academically successful during my entire school life, but I didn't take the time to get involved in extra curricular activities... etc. I would've put more effort into looking for a college I actually liked and spent more time applying for scholarships instead of planning a date night. Looking back now I feel ashamed of myself because I know what I'm capable of but was too wrapped up in young love. Now, as an adult and full time college student who is single, I can pursue what I'm meant to do.

If you're looking for the big university life, PSC is not for you. If you prefer large lecture like classes, PSC isn't for you.

Joshua

The teachers are really great. The ones I have had I have been extremely grateful and lucky to have had them.

Financial Aid is hard to deal with since they do not keep everyone up to date on their scholarships and changes to them.

Lea

Lea, I know that as a senior in high school all you want is to have as much fun as you possibly can, but if you don't buckle down and do work now it will be so much harder to balance your school work and personal life in the future. I am telling you this from experience. I'm not telling you not to enjoy every possible moment you have left in high school, I'm just saying be smart about it. Take time to look up scholarships and to do your homework and actually study, it will help you to develop good habits for your college career. Balance your time well and you won't go crazy. Best of luck. Me

Polk State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.