Winter Haven, FL
Polk State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Polk State College

Joshua

The teachers are really great. The ones I have had I have been extremely grateful and lucky to have had them.

Financial Aid is hard to deal with since they do not keep everyone up to date on their scholarships and changes to them.

Lea

Lea, I know that as a senior in high school all you want is to have as much fun as you possibly can, but if you don't buckle down and do work now it will be so much harder to balance your school work and personal life in the future. I am telling you this from experience. I'm not telling you not to enjoy every possible moment you have left in high school, I'm just saying be smart about it. Take time to look up scholarships and to do your homework and actually study, it will help you to develop good habits for your college career. Balance your time well and you won't go crazy. Best of luck. Me

Pamela

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell her that the most important thing she can do is maintain an open mind. Five years from now, she will probably be surprised about where she ends up. It is important to not judge anything before getting to know it as different people, jobs, schools, technology, and activities may surprise her. If she can live her life judgment-free, she will be much happier and much more prepared for what awaits her. I would tell her that there is nothing more important than her own happiness, and to not get involved with people or activities that make her unhappy. Positive thinking is unbelievably powerful, and she will be able to achieve whatever she desires, as long as she maintains her positive attitude, work ethic, and flair for getting things done above and beyond anyone’s expectations.

Attending college has been one of the best decisions I have made so far in my life. School may be a struggle, but I know that college will allow me to have a successful and happy life. I have been able to meet people from different areas and learn different learning and studying techniques. It has been valuable for my to attend college because it has given me a chance to become a more independent person. When you begin college you find out that you are responsible for remembering important dates in classes and you also become financially responsible. College has given me a chance to learn how to manage the money that I have in order to have enough money to pay for tuition and books. College may be harder than high school and it may be more time consuming, but I know in the end it will be worth it because I will be able to know that I accomplished something great on my own for one of the first times in my life.

The best thing about Polk Community College would have to be the teachers. A majority of the teachers here enjoy their jobs and love helping you out. Whether it is a history, math, or english course, the professors are always helpful and willing to take the extra time to individually help their students. Polk Community College may be a smaller college, but it allows students to really get to know their teachers and be able to receive help when they need it.

The only downside to attending Polk Community College is the fact that the atmopshere is very similar to high school. You tend to go straight from high into Polk Community with the same classmates. This takes away from the idea of a true college experience with meeting all new people and having new experiences in a new location.

Hugo

My heart races, not from failing at certain things, but from not accomplishing my goals in life. My college experience so far has helped me to understand how truly important getting an education really is. I appreciate knowing that I have the choice to attain my dream in becoming a successful film director and screenwriter. Sitting in class listening to influential instructors speaking about the values of education, fuels the drive I have in me to attain my educational goals. My first year in college has already opened many doors for me in different aspects. I have not only learned about math, science, and English, in college but many other things, like the motivation that many students have to move ahead in life, the passion that many professors have in their subjects, the choices we make every day that affect our lives. In the end, the only person standing in the way of me fulfilling my goals is Hugo Mejia. It is entirely up to me whether or not I choose to improve me and my family's life. Thank you for taking the time to read this entry. Sincerely, Hugo Mejia

Kevin

My school is best known for as the school that recently had its name changed to Polk State College -- formerly Polk Community College. I wish I could say something more interesting about my school, but the truth is that my school isn't "best known" for any particular thing.

From my college experience, I can definitely say that I should have applied to many more colleges/universities early during my senior year. This college is not the college I feel comfortable with; it lacks intellectual life, people I can relate to and a rigorous curriculum to continue my studies. Although this college lacks the above, I have gotten a taste of what professors at a college level are like. Much to my surprise, college professors take pride in their work and always seem to find a way to make students interested in the topic of study. Overall, the long, boring high school days where students pretend to listen and pray for the dismissal bell to ring are over; they have been replaced by exciting times in a classroom setting a students look forward to the next class. In conclusion, my college experience has taught me to be prepared for the next step in life. Letting life happen is not the best solution if one really wants certain things to go their way. My college experience has also presented me an exciting perspective of education and an environment of fellow beings all at different levels in their educational career.

The thing I consider worse about my school is the lack of intellectual life present every corner I turn. Although educational facilities serve to clear up ignorance, this school has more ignorance on its hands than any school could possibly handle. This school is plagued by students not willing to succeed and they make it evident in all the classes I take.

I would tell myself not to screw around, to stay focused and to take classes that led to what I wanted my career to be. I would say study hard and try my best at getting good grades in all my classes. Also I would tell myself to take AP classes or to join dualenrolment in a college in order to get an early start on my college credits and a chance to earn my degree faster. I also would suggest to consider collegeic highschool as well to get a jump start on my future education. Also I would tell myself to save my money because I will need it for books, classes, tuition, and school supplies which can get expensive. It helps to have a job as well in order to keep some money rolling in the account no matter how little it pays or how miserable it is. All extra caricular activities helps as well, they keep you saine and relaxed as well as more focused in your down time. And finally never give up, believe in yourself and always do your best.

What exatcly I needed to take in order to get the degree I needed, if any changes would be made through out the school year and what professors other students would recommend. I would have liked to talk to other students about which classes they thought were the hardest and easiest. Also how the Sat and Act vary from each other for the different schools.

The worst thing about my school is that during my attendence the school changed from being a Community College to Four year state college. This changed some of the required classes which put some of us students behind, this consequently makes the process of working up to graduating a little longer. But other than that I love this school.

Danyelle

I don't think I would update myself on the college life or making transitions because I am a pretty friendly person and have no problem making transitions in life. However, I would have told myself to do early entry in my Junior year of High school. If I could have gone back to tell myself this I know for sure I would be a dentist right now.

Winter Haven campus is very much like home to me, I know it inside and out. However, the Lakeland campus is very complicated in it's design. But this is made up with the great staff and friendly students.

The worst thing about my school is that the program that I am involved in is located about 45 minutes from my home. Other then that I love my school.

Katherine

If I had the chance to go back in time, and give myself some advice in highschool to better prepare me for college, I would have told myself to manage your time better. Working part time and going to school full time is not an easy task, but I have succeeded well. I would've reminded myself to study in advance, give myself leisure time, and meet all deadlines without stressing. It is very important in college to meet all due dates, because unlike in highschool, make up work is not accepted at my institution. This was something I was definately not expecting. The one thing I am glad I never did change, was my passion for studying design. Even throughout highschool, I never let anyone bring me down. And now, preparing to enter my third year in college, I am very grateful towards that.

pauly

The school is nice ;The teachers and staff members show they care about your education, and they make you feel comfortable.

sorry I really don't know...

To hit the books hard not have a family before graduating from college, because after you have a family it makes it hard for yourself to go back to college or to even finish a simple task.

Polk State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.