Polytechnic Institute of New York University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Polytechnic Institute of New York University

Carmen

The school offers a variety of majors and classes. You can learn anything, anywhere, at any time. Though the social aspect of this school sucks. You can't really meet people unless you're in a club. Often times, people just go home after going to school. There should be more spaces for students to mingle and there should be groups or organization that encourage students to meet one another.

Juliet

I didn't think I would love it as much as I do, but here I am.

Alex

Bad school, rejects of real engineering school in the area come here. Students that attend this school brag about getting into NYU but really, it's the easiest school of NYU to get into. Polytechnic = black sheep of NYU

Polytechnic Institute of New York University, now referred to as NYU Tandon School of Engineering, is probably one of the most diverse schools I can think of. It is so welcoming of all people and makes people proud to be themselves and accepted in society. I have seen people from around the world and heard many languages here. People of all backgrounds, genders, orientations and ethnicities are represent well and fairly. The curriculum is strong and prepares students for the competitive reality of the workforce and the school strives to make sure its students are employed soon after or even before they graduate. I have never regretted a minute of being at NYU and hope that others are inspired to join this ever growing and welcoming community.

Cassandra

The Polytechnic Institute of New York University, also now known as the Tandon School of Engineering is a place filled with students who are innately curious about the world. Students do have intellectual conversations both inside and outside of the classrooms, but students also talk immensely about their interests, which may or may not relate to technologies. My friend group consists of people that have a wide variety of hobbies including but not limited to other languages, music, video games, business, and art. The professors also have their own wide range of interests, which makes it easier to get to know them and network with them. It is easy to make friends in Tandon, not only can I attest, but some of my friends. Tandon is a great school to attend for students who are looking for a wide range of activities to do in a good school.

Alexandra

I love it but know there are always ways to improve. The campus experience in Washington Square is much more lively and friendly. It is also more integrated with having places to sit and study while also being accessible to cafes, restaurants, dining halls, and many dorms. NYU Poly is just not as well-thought-out in terms of its engineering and architecture (ironically). The building is in construction, but I fail to see how the renovations will improve the usability of the building space to the degree it needs improvement in.

Gary

Excellent school. Location is convenient and good. Professors are more into research. NYU is expensive without decent scholarship. Facilities have been upgraded recently.

Molly

The school does not have a sports culture, there are sports teams but not many students go to the games. This is nice in the sense that everybody is at the school for purely academic reasons, and I know my tuition isn't being spent to build massive gyms and tracks, but going towards my own education. I think the lack of sports culture also makes the school feel less sexist, (not perfect in that department either). The school has one of the highest rates of international students, women, and is one of the most diverse schools. I truly love it for that reason. I grew up as a white person in a very white town, and getting to see and learn new perspectives, makes me more empathetic, better at problem-solving, and in general a better person. Tandon does have its fair share of old-fashioned professors, but it is very uncommon to find anybody mean-spirited in this school. Sometimes I wish there were a more unified school spirit or culture. The class sizes at Tandon can greatly vary. You will only take 1-3 classes in the 200 student lecture hall, then 5-15 in the 75 student lecture hall, and 10+ in a 25 student classroom. I have never felt like a professor was too busy with other students to answer my questions or talk about my progress.