Pomona College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Yuuki

Most of the students at Pomona are fairly liberal. It could just be my group of friends - I'd also say that a good number of them are very outdoorsy and artistic.

The way the consortium was explained to me was: The Claremont Colleges are like Scooby Doo and The Mystery Gang. Havery Mudd is Velma because they're nerdy. Scripps is Daphne because...I guess just because it's a women's college. CMC is Fred because it's full of bros. Pitzer is Shaggy because it's full of pot smokers and Pomona is Scooby of course because without Scooby there'd be no Mystery Gang and without Pomona there'd be no consortium. See why we get the rumor of being elitist and pretentious? Most people at Pomona are actually pretty laid back. You have to be...it's SoCal law, but people do take their studies seriously and could possibly come off as pretentious. Compared to Ivy League schools though, Pomona is very chill.

The two main stereotypes about Pomona students are that they are elitist and happy. I honestly don't really know where the elitism thing comes from--I think a lot of small, private colleges suffer from that misconception--but the happiness thing is definitely pretty true. I can't think of another place where I've been surrounded by so many happy been, or have been so happy myself.

Kendra

Work hard but mostly self-motivated. Non-competitive, very laid-back and easygoing.

My experience at Pomona and in the community is that students are considered to be well-rounded. They have a variety of interests, and there are many ways to explore those interests. Pomona is strong in various academic areas, so students are expected to have a diverse educational experience as well.