Portland Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Portland Community College

Sunny

I am pleased with it, overall. The distance learning aspect has not bode well for a lot of students these past several months, but it is manageable, I suppose. My professors are easily accessible by way of email, and the classes are small, which makes it easier to reach out to and receive feedback from them directly.

Lucy

Very safe and nice place to start college. Everyone is very welcoming and the food is alright and sold at a decent price. I recommend the fries they are delicious. Affordable tuition as someone who regularly takes 16 credits per term. Around $2500 or well below so you can afford it. Lots of clubs to dabble in and you can easily access professors during office hours. Just make sure to check Ratemyprofessor for a successful term.

oviya

PCC is a great college for students straight out of high school who either aren't sure what they want to major in, or are unready to move out to a four year college. The tuition is a fraction of what you would have to at a state university. The professors are knowledgeble in their subject and eager to help students.

Jordan

Overall a good community college to start off with. I absolutely love the ceramics program. I would also strongly recommend any class ran by Dr. Byrd. Students and staff are very diverse and accepting. I went to PCC for just over 3 years and not once did I hear of or experience any kind of discrimination.

I enjoy the campus and the people. The teachers are a hit or miss, but when you have a good one it is worth your while. The atmosphere on campus is very welcoming and "second home" like. There is always an awareness group spreading information on groups and activities that are happening in and around the campus and metro area.

Kristen

I love going to PCC. College is easier to afford and I've been able to complete my prerequisites with help from staff and peers. Teachers are around to help and if I have questions about anything the student help desk is available to help. Even though no one lives on campus they still have good food for people who spend their day on campus.

I believe Portland Community College is a major stepping stone in the right direction to achieve a broad and irreplaceable academic mind. Not only is it reliable, affordable, along with a great staff but it is also the most convenient for students like me who work 9-5 on weekdays. My learning experience so far would not have been possible if not for Portland Community College.

I personally believe that it is a really good school. The campus that I attend, Sylvania, is beautiful. The teachers have experience in what they teach and back up their curriculum with real life stories. Many of the teachers connect with the students well, and students will take other classes with that teacher often. The class sizes are relatively small so you have the opportunity to spend more time with your teacher than you would in a large lecture class setting. PCC also has a lot of resources like career guidance, different clubs, job connections, and much much more.

Inez

It's pretty relaxed, the teachers mostly care. If they have a good review on rate my professor then they are usually super easy! Most of the teachers get that people have jobs, and other classes, so they aren't out to make your life miserable. Most of all, we have a lot of events, and we have a friendly student body who holds doors open for everyone. We also have some really great student services and recreational facilities. I especially love the class sizes, so small, and the teachers are there for students.

Shawna

Overall, Portland Community College is a very good school. There is a wide variety of classes across the Portland metro area and there is an option for online classes that anyone can take no matter where they live. There are also many programs for people who only want to attend community college and still want to have a successful career. The professors are really hit or miss at PCC. There are some good ones and some bad, but the reviews don't always correlate with how they actually are as a professor. The school is very accepting of the LGBTQ+ community. The major issue with this school is that some staff don’t accept students with disabilities. While the school is beginning to accept students with disabilities, they still aren’t perfect yet. Some professors don’t know that they can’t ask questions about a student’s disability, some staff don’t want to accept that others have disabilities, and some staff are just insanely rude to students with disabilities. They are working to get better at it, but they aren’t quite amazing at dealing with students with disabilities yet. Also, the food here isn’t very good. To end on a positive note, the online systems for PCC are very clear and easy to understand. It makes taking online courses and registering for class very manageable.

Adalitsi

PCC is a good school, I feel like I have really learned a lot. My only concern would probably be safety. As a student I am happy that I chose to attend this college. However, as a student that does not qualify for FAFSA sometimes college can get quite expensive. I love to learn but I just wish it was more affordable.

Nichola

Portland Community College is a great school for those pursuing associate's degrees and for those who have financial trouble but still want to get a quality education. The social science professors are awesome. There are a wide variety of courses for students still unsure about what to major in and good arts and athletic programs. The school gives off a lonely feeling though because most people keep to themselves and half of the students are parents or working adults so they don't hang around to socialize or get involved in club/extracurricular activities.

Rebecca

I think PCC is a great place for an undergraduate to go to. The teachers are super helpful and really want students to succeed. The price for classes are moderate but you can do payments that are doable. I recommend this school as a start for your future.

Maigen

I take classes here on a part time basis, and I've had a really great experience so far. There are classes available at the times I need, and there's a wide range of academic opportunities.

Kelly

I love PCC for being so career focused. There tends to be allot of views of community colleges as being for people who haven’t decided, but I know more people in universities that don’t know what their plan is than here. Once you know what you want to do, it’s great to end up at a place like this where everyone is here for school and not to party or to join a club. It is a big help having all of that good influence just hanging around you 24/7.

Jasmine

Being a part of Portland Community College was the best decision I've ever made. The faculty is amazing and the administration is helpful and supportive. My transition from high school to college was smooth because of the support I received. The experiences I've gained from being in College I can take with me for the rest of my life. I'm a First-Generation student and I can honestly say being a part of this Community made my College experience a breeze. Thank you , PCC! ( I heard the parking sucks , but that's for every College).

Danio

Portland Community College is really helpful in ways of assisting students in choosing which classes to take in the path of their desired career. They have an on campus almost always available academic advisors, who are always welcoming and knowledgeable in which classes to take and steps to take to reach a goal. They also have programs to aide students financially; such as the Trimet bus pass discount. Other than the financial programs, PCC grants students accessibility to the Financial Aide lab, where they receive help in applying for scholarships, Financial Aide, or loans. The campus have after class study buildings, where students can go to study and have help on standby from tutors. PCC is a great college for anyone who wish to pursue their careers with affordable tuition.

Muna

Portland Community College is a great school. The students are there to learn and don't let anything get in their way. The professors I've had so far have been really great. They are really dedicated to teaching. Also, campus is really easy to navigate once you get past the first few days.

Isabela

Portland Community College is a great starting place to figure out your future. Plenty of clubs and student activities all-year round. I recommend our classes, we have quite a variety, and the teachers are quite flexible to student needs and always willing to lend support in your academic journey. There are plenty of campuses around the Portland Metro Area, quite accessible for car or transit commute. Special commute discounts (Term transit pass and term parking passes.) If on-campus classes aren't your cup of tea, there is a good online support classroom curriculum, with plenty of available online teachers. This school is a safe place for all races, and genders. I consider ourselves to fully support students of all backgrounds, creating a safe sanctuary for everyone. I truly believe this is the place to go, if you just need a push to start planning out your future. PCC is great and I hope if you read this and visit you will love it too. Thank you, Isabela Brough -Sophomore Student 2016-2018

Tera

There are a huge variety of different teachers, which is both good and bad because it allows students to learn from all different teaching styles. If there is a subject you're not too comfortable with and wish to retake the class, simply a different professor may be just what you need to feel completely confident in the subject matter. There is also an extremely diverse group of students that attend this college, ranging all different ages, genders, and cultures. One of the issues I have with the school is the politics behind the doors. Now if you just go to class you wouldn't really notice it. But I try to converse and get to know everyone around me. As of last term, PCC was at a hiring freeze, having instructors work full time schedules but being part time employees. Then they raised the tuition rates and asked for a grant to pay for a brand new book store (that they started before the grant was voted for) and it didn't even have the supplies needed for the basic drawing 101. That being said, I still gave the school five stars. I have never in my life been around so many teachers who all genuinely want to help the students around them. Despite the work load, they all care and take a personal interest in their students lives to get to know them individually so they can better teach and provide assistance for. I had a speech teacher last term whom I still see at her office hours because she provides solid insight and fantastic advice. If you are looking for a school where you are surrounded by opportunity, friendly people, and genuine teachers, then ignore the politics because that is what this school is.

Malia

It's an alright investment if you're planning to transfer to a 4-year university afterward. Teachers vary in quality, since most are part-time. Before resitering, check ratemyprofessors. Sometimes classes you need won't align nicely, which kind of sucks. The campus life is dead since it's a community college. If you're looking for dorms, parties, greek life, please look elsewhere. The food is just as gross as it is expensive. Most of the food served isn't healthy, gross, and very expensive. The Southeast campus is located in a relatively unsafe neighborhood in Portland. I'd reccommend not having evening, or early moning classes (or at least keeping them to a bare minimum.) I'd also reccommend keeping your mouth shut if you don't have a political belief that isn't super liberal. If you express ANY opinion that isn't far-left/doesn't support all SJW beliefs you'll be chastized and hated by teachers and alumni alike.

kirani

There are many resources to go to with help in academics. Teachers are almost always available with regular office hours and also encourage students to email them with any questions to ensure everything is being learned. The cafeteria offers healthy options as well as snacks like candy and chips.

Chinwendu

PCC is an amazing school which really care about the students success. I came to PCC to gain a direction in life and catch up on my studying abilities before I venture off into university. The class sizes are small and every teacher I have had so far has been so invested in my education and my growth as a student. This year they even implicated a science tutor center, which has been very helpful for me as I am taking both Anatomy and Chemistry this term. Not only that, there are many opportunities on campus to partake in social groups like the BSU club and LGBTQ club, and there is a student union that also provides assistants to struggling student whether that be helping to find affordable housing to supplying food and clothing to families.

Sam

Portland Community College is an excellent college for continuing education and vocational studies, but transferring to a four-year college is difficult because many credits are not accepted. Additionally, there are no courses offered above the 200 level and classes are distributed between campuses (which are far apart) so options end up very limited.

Katelyn

Portland Community College is dedicated to their students and frequently works hard to make sure we are all on track. Help is always available and academic advisers are ready to listen. With multiple campuses scattered around the Portland and Portland Metro area, there are several opportunities for students to achieve their dreams and get the degree they desire. At a low cost, PCC is affordable and is a great place to get started on bigger goals.

OH

Portland Community College is a great college for a diverse array of students. Whether taking care of prerequisites before university, rejoining the world of education to shift careers, or attending a trade program, this college will take you where you need to go.

Danielle

I loved my time in PCC. The community is very welcoming and supportive, especially with the multiple resources they provide, such as the Multicultural Center, Environmental Center, and the Tutoring Center. Students can utilize these resources by participating in informative school events such as social justice presentations and free gardening classes, receiving concept clarifications through peer to peer tutoring and optional study classes, and enhancing the students' college experience through volunteer opportunities and a llama visit among other things during finals week. The classes are interesting and interactive, and they have small class sizes. For example, in my chemistry classes, we had clicker questions, which allowed the students to test their understanding after each lecture section. Professors are helpful and quite accessible, either through email or office hours. The school also worked hard to make ease the financial problem of their students by organizing a scholarship bank and offering a wide array of student jobs, such as math lab assisting and center coordinators. There is so much students can do at PCC. No matter what how diverse your interests and goals are, there is always something that you can do and enjoy a PCC.

Before I began at a community college, I felt the disappointment from others pour over me. I had heard that community college is not as good of an education as an university, that only people who don't have a good plan go there. But now that i have been there, I have seen and felt quite content with my education. The professors are warm, welcoming, and come to office hours. They respond quickly to emails, know my name, and become trusted people. As for my peers, they are the non-traditional student, parents, working students, and people that already know what the career fields. It's valuable for me to have others who can share their experience with me. And I am glad that I chose this school because I have felt taken care of and valued.

Joey

There's 4 different campuses so the experience changes a bit depending on which campus you're at more. Overall it's decent for a community college, not many big activities that bring students together but it's a good place if you're just looking to learn and get out. Teachers are hit or miss- some make an effort to engage you and others haven't updated their lesson plans since 2010 and are only there for a paycheck. It's really up to you to research your teachers before registering and to search for on campus activities to meet people.

Paola

I transferred from a different community college and PCC is 100x better. The environment and culture is so accepting and the teachers really care. The campuses are beautiful. If you are looking for a more "University" feel on a budget, PCC is the right campus for that.

Kennedy

You would be shocked at the abundance of resources for anyone and everyone at PCC. The CONSTANT availability for help/ tutoring and the accessibility to professors is beyond what you may find at a University. I transferred to PCC from PSU and actually found I had BETTER classes and access to MORE equipment at a significantly lower price. PCC is the ideal college and location for students today who want to successfully start a career and get a degree at a decent cost without immediately taking on a load of debt! Great place to get prerequisites taken care of (you can even do a block transfer so you are 100% a junior when transferring to a UNI) The environments academically and socially are excellent. 10/10 would reccomend

juana

what I think about this school is that its a super good school. PCC have gave me an opportunity to attend college because it's affordable. When I started this school I didn't anything and then I got help many staff and teacher who works there and they were all nice. This an amazing school to start off because of how many opportunities there is.

Dani

I love attending PCC. I take my classes at their Cascade campus, which is beautiful. I enjoy the variety of classes and am a part of the Trio ROOTS program, with an amazing advisor of my own. The classes are a manageable size and the professors really work to get to know you, if that's what you're looking for. At the very least, they work to know your name, remember you if you get involved, and are available often. I really only wish there was a wider variety of music class opportunities and better food quality. The food is affordable, and I can't say I've ever eaten at another school, but it isn't very healthy or high quality. The new buildings are nice and the landscaping is beautiful. The women's resource center is a very useful source as is the multicultural center.

ml

It is an affordable option compared to larger universities. The campuses are easily reached by public transportation or shuttles and the facilities are new and up-to-date. The instructors seem interested in teaching and my experience has been very positive. I feel that I've been challenged and have received a lot of constructive feedback and encouragement. The student body is diverse including a lot of working adults in classes so discussions are more diverse and reflect more life experience than a more traditional college setting.

Grace

Top-notch performing arts program. There are good and bad teachers in every subject, so you've gotta pick the right ones (I looked at teacher reviews online). Beautiful, big campus with a big library and lots of resources. LGBTQ, Veteran, etc. support. Very liberal student body.

Community College is one of the smartest choices I ever made! Affordability is what first drew me here when I decided to go back to school to study medicine. What kept me here was the amazing and driven staff and professors that work incredibility hard. Trust that this is not like any other community college! They will push you to learn and grow in ways you never thought possible. The people here have forever changed my life for the better and I am extremely grateful!

Enrique

At this time, I have had 3 full terms on campus and several terms where I worked completely online. If you can handle an old fashioned online classroom called D2L, you can get a flexible education on your off time at home by being an online student. You have to be willing to commit to the weekly homework hours to get it all done because the deadlines are not flexible. An aspect of the online learning is that I can do my discussion homework any time that I have my smart phone! I got used to checking D2L instead of my facebook. As for on-campus instructors, some are exceptional because they try to involve all learning styles. While there are outlier teachers once in a while that stick to their preferred style and many students struggle, but that was really rare with only 2-3 teachers of my 20+. Read Rate My Professor with some skepticism and try emailing the instructor if you're not sure. Most of them are really responsive even if you email late at night!

Alexis

Portland Community college is a great school for what it is. It is small, that's true, but that doesn't mean it's not good at what it does. Although their food isn't very good, and there's no on-campus housing, it's a wonderful place to learn and be a part of a community. My two favorite things about this school are the accessibility and the diversity. Teachers and faculty make your learning experience a priority, which I find extremely important in succeeding; you can't succeed if those around you don't encourage it, right? And the students are amazing- almost every person I am surrounded by is thrilled to be learning and are ecstatic to be a part of the small community. On top of that, there are so many different kinds of students and they're all here for one thing: to learn. And PCC does a great job at helping people learn.

Cairo

Portland Community College is a great place for students of all ages. The campus is quite small, but has a lot of opportunities for community outreach and student oriented activities. I have enjoyed my experience at PCC and would definitely recommend this college for anyone who is looking for an affordable form of education.

jordan

Portland Community College is a great start. They have some really great professors, and treat you like a normal human bean. I respect the work they do, they provide tutors, for free, and a ton of learning experiences. Tuition is expensive, but I guess that is just what is expected with college. The education here at PCC is good if you are motivated and self efficient. Over all PCC is a well maintained school.

Zach

I am very fond of Portland Community College. There are always opportunities to thrive and be a part of a community that is always changing and improving through education, at the campus I live close to, and the other campuses as well. I enjoy the environment while I am on campus.

Collette

The teachers are dedicated, the resources are up to date and accessible, and the students are here to work hard and succeed. I will be starting my third year here at Portland Community College and I have enjoyed almost every single professor. I feel motivated and happy to be at a school that values hard work and encourages help-seeking behaviors in order to be a great student.

Olivia

I love this school. Out of the two years I have attended I have had a nearly 99% success rate with teachers and classes, and I really feel that, even though it is a small, community college, students are still offered a great sense of family and respect throughout the multiple campuses.

Grace

Portland Community College has people of all backgrounds. In your classes, you'll find kids coming straight from high school AND older people resuming their education. The professors are very accommodating, for the most part. Of course, every school has their bad professors, but the professors here are more knowledgeable than others that I've seen. The class sizes are wonderfully small. The campus' are really spread out, so if you live in one area, it'll be hard to commute to more than one campus. Overall, a good experience for a community college.

jimmy

My overall opinion about Portland Community College (Rock-Creek) is that it is a well-diversified school, with students that love to involve themselves in real world issues. The buildings here are very clean and well maintained. The reason I am giving them a 4/5 is because they do not have sufficient parking spots for everyone making finding a parking spot a nightmare.

Cassandra

When you arrive at PCC Cascade campus, you can tell that the school is striving for excellence. The beautiful new buildings and upkeep of the facilities encourage students to visit and utilize all of the tools the college has to offer. Their student union building has large open spaces with floor to ceiling windows that make for a bright place to gather with peers and discuss academics or other important topics. I greatly appreciate that almost every instructor I have encountered typically goes beyond an average professor to make sure you are understanding and enjoying the material. I also greatly appreciate the disability services staff that work with students to make sure all of their needs are met in the smoothest way possible. Of course, like every college or institute, there are a few things that can still be improved. The ability to get in touch with the appropriate college staff member, whether that be an academic advisor or registrar's office staff member, can prove to be very difficult, especially over the phone or via email. This may be due to a lack of staff members in these departments. There have also been issues in the past with registration, something that I have been told by staff members is a computer error that has existed for many, many years. Another issue I have with PCC is its nursing program's point system application. It rewards students with more points if they have taken more prerequisite courses at PCC. I do not believe this to be a good indicator of whether or not a student should have a chance of attending PCC's nursing program. Instead, I believe this to be in the best interest of the school itself and the profit it can make. Something I love about PCC is that it is striving to be more environmentally friendly. I love that recycling bins for different types of recyclable materials are common throughout the campus. There is also a composting program in the works, which I know will also help to reduce the college's waste. I also appreciate that PCC is an inclusive university. You can immediate learn this with it's child care program, with its gender neutral bathrooms and family bathrooms, with its family study rooms for students that have children, and the many clubs offered at the school. I also appreciate that the school is striving to be more holistic by having things like relaxation or prayer rooms to emphasize the importance of emotional and mental health. Overall, I would recommend PCC to other people looking for a higher education that will not leave them in debt for the next 20 years. There are most definitely areas that can improve, but the positive aspects of the college definitely outweigh the negatives.

Erin

Portland Community College offers a wide range of services for people or many different backgrounds and needs. As a girl with autism and social anxiety, I found that easing into Portland Community College was not only exciting, but kept to the promise that it had caring, lovely staff that are genuinely passionate about the courses they are teaching. Even though my time here was short, this is the first time in years where I felt no anxiety about going to school. It has been THAT much of a great experience. Some people may not like it because it doesn't have many clubs or extracurricular activities, but this is because it's a 2-year school, and a majority of students are older people or students who are looking to pay cheaper tuition before transferring to a 4-year university. Personally, I love it. Class sizes are not too big and the faculty are very, very good at making sure how each student is doing academically and mentally. The cost of tuition is much lower than what you're paying at a 4-year with education that is just as great if not slightly better, and PCC offers a plethora of different courses, degrees, and certificates--from something as simple as General Studies to Biology and Advanced Chemistry to Ophthalmic Technology. The choices are endless and the programs transfer to several universities across the country! Whether you want to receive your Masters in Molecular Biology at a prestigious university or take art classes just for fun, PCC is definitely the place for those wanting to find their place. I cannot recommend this school high enough.

Kane

There are a lot of academic options. The campus is clean and people are friendly and it's a good place to network. The professors are helpful and knowledgeable. The parking fees are manageable. There is plenty of parking. It's a good college to attend.

McKinley

PCC has great campuses with a lot of resources. Most of the professors love what they do and I haven't had a bad one, yet. I'd say the campus is very business and art driven, but they have a lot of available programs. Due to funding issues, their prices per credit has raised quite a bit, but it is a high quality education that is on par with some of the local universities. I don't feel like they're after my money like universities. They have a safe campus and classrooms for minorities and LGBTQ. On every campus they have a free food pantry for all students and several different resource centers depending on the help you need, and the "group" you belong to, such as queer resource center, women's resource center, veterans resource center, etc.

Johanna

A great affordable college. Lots of resources and pathways to transfer or partake in event outside of school. Really easy and straightforward to apply and keep track of requirements. They have for four main buildings and a few more locations for other classes. There's a good of transportation ranging from business to train.