Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Shannon

There is a lot of diversity at this school, so it's hard to describe them all in one sentence. People in Portland are known for being hipsters so there is some of that. There are also many students that have come from Saudi Arabia and other places in the Middle East because of exchange programs.

Since the thing I struggled with most as a senior was deciding what my career path in college would be, I would encourage my past self to think about going into pharmacy, since that is what I ended up choosing. I would tell myself to look into what graduate programs expect and to get started on pre-requisites early. I did two years at a community college, but looking back there are classes that I have to take now at the university that I could have taken at the community college at a much cheaper price. I would also encourage my past self to look into volunteer opportunities and to think about joining some clubs and doing more extracurriculars in my first year of college. I would put the most emphasis on telling myself to start looking in to scholarships early though. I could have avoided the debt that I have been building up had I started applying earlier.

Being situated in the center of a city like Portland means that there are always things to do nearby.

Nathan

Portland State University is centered in the heart of the city. The urban environment complements the values the school sets forth of civic engagement and socially responsible living and business practices. At PSU there are many returning students, such as myself, from a large variety of backgrounds. This diversity has reinforced the inclusive culture, and has enriched the classroom experience. I could not see myself ever attending a school in a "college town"; as an older student I would feel out of place in any school without as much diversity as PSU.

Over ten years ago I left high school as a sophmore, with no diploma and no support from family or counselors. I don't blame anyone other than myself for how high school ended for me. It took ten years for me to get my life back together after that, and find the courage and discipline to return to school, and I have often thought about what I would do differently if I could go back in time, or what advice I would give my past self. If I could go back to mentor myself as a high school student, I don't know what I would tell myself. I don't have any stark words of wisdom, or warnings to give myself. What I do know is that my high school self would have a lot to say, and I would lend an ear. Some times, when life is rough, we don't need someone's advice on how to make it better; knowing that your problems are worth hearing, and that you aren't alone can make all the difference in the world, especially to a struggling high school student.

Portland State University is a school of diversity. Not only are there many foreign students, and students of a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, but the age and life-stage of students is just as varied. I would recommend PSU to any student who enjoys collaborating with people from different backgrounds, and would be interested in interacting with someone far different than themselves. Last term I had a business class, where I sat between someone from Qatar, and someone from Texas. We all three became great friends, and brought different sets of experiences to group discussions.

Kaitlyn

My school has excellent public transportation options. They also have programs set up to assist graduates find a job in their field.

I wish I had known what work study opportunities there were and if I could get them.

Seleny

Portland State University is a college that welcomes and promotes diversity.

Portland State University is a college that welcomes and promotes diversity.

Stop procrastinating, it's a really bad habit. Make an appointment with your counselor and ask all those questions you've been dying to ask. Stop following the crowd, don't be afraid to be yourself. And that boy you're so worried about isn't going to be there in the next two years. Truth is, everything that seems important now won't be when you're in college. Shift your focus and change your perspective. School is more than an obligation, it's a privilege. It is the steering wheel to your dream destination so treasure it. College is different, it's hard. You will spend many hours in the library actually reading the material. You will have to move out of your comfort zone and start meeting new people. You will have to prioritize, be punctual, and be well informed. You have to want to be there in order to excel. Don't give up. You are going to face many challenges in your educational career but I promise you that it will all be worth it. You will gain so much more knowledge, experience, and new insights. Your life will never be the same.

I have not been there long enough to know what the worst thing is.

Aimee

Portland State is very friendly and open, there are a lot of opportunities available for students to explore Portland both on and off campus, transportation around campus is simple since the campus itself is not very large (a bike, good shoes, or a long board serves well for getting around), and finally the faculty are typically very helpful and very supportive of your learning endeavors.

The most important thing you can remember is to make college an adventure, you're not in high school anymore so take advantage of being independent. The first few weeks of college can be the most difficult as far as finding a social sphere. Don't worry about it! The best thing you can do is keep your dorm room door open, introduce yourself to your neighbours, and go to the club fairs in the park blocks. Plus, as soon as classes start you will find your niche because you will be with very outgoing people who are interested in the same things you are! On the same note, network as much as possible. Exchange phone numbers, friend people on Facebook, arrange study groups, etc. all of which will help you find friends and access help for homework questions. Because PSU is on the quarter system exams come up fast. Therefore, always be reviewing the material you are learning and make good use of the library for study groups and tutors. The last thing you should do is take advantage of the recreation center and the outdoor program. Both places have great opportunities available to meet people and stay active.

The best thing about Portland State is its location in Portland. If you get tired of being on campus it is a simple matter of taking the MAX rail or the streetcar or a bus to get anywhere in the surrounding Multnomah County. Although campus itself is quite lovely with the park blocks located right outside the library. There are plenty of great places to study out in the sun on a warm spring day.

Leslie

Portland State University is in transition.

Portland State University is in transition.

Students at PSU are opinionated but sheltered.

Don't take anything for granted. Hard work is mandatory to succeed. Stay focused, but don't let yourself become alienated. And, above everything else: Its ok if you don't get through life in the same way as everyone else. There are no rules saying "when" you have to go to college - just keep on track and don't allow yourself to feel less than others . You will go to gcollege when it is right for you!

Portland State works with many other colleges/universties to help students obtain their academic goals. Their advisors seem very knowledgeable and helpful in directing students on how to obtain access to programs that would help them get into the careers they want. PSU has a very diverse population and group work was encouraged in most of the classes.

Dear High School Self- Find something you're passionate about and beleive in yourself enough that you can accomplish it. School is hard work, so make sure you ask your teachers and your peers for advice. The answers are not always ight in front of you. Don't be shy and dont be afraid to voice your own opinion. Chances are the majority of the room will agree with you. Even if they dont, you are thoughtful and respectful enough in your answers that you will most likely give them something new to think about. Take classes both in and out of your comfort zone and give them everything you got. Dont give up. Even when you really, really want to. Keep your head up and be nothing less than successful.

I wish I had known more about the student run career/advice center. I heard about it after I had graduated and how it was a great help to many of the students there.

I would tell myself to get as involved with campus activities as possible--clubs, student unions, volunteer causes in the city--so I could leave university not only having graduated with admirable grades but also having grown individually. Looking back on my time in school, my biggest regret is that I never was able to prioritize that part of my education. Between working full time, coaching a sports team at a high school in my area, and studying (often at more than full time status), I thought that it was not necessary to add one more task to the mountain of things I did each week. But from my vantage point now, with the benefit of hindsight being 20/20, I know that I would have relished the opportunities to contribute to something I had passion for and to have really achieved something within my city's community by the end of my undergraduate career.

If you don't come with a clear goal and plan to make professor relationships, you may struggle later on when trying to find someone who knows you as a student (e.g. for a letter of recommendation).

A large number of people have been studying at that campus for 7+ years and are not any closer to completing a degree. It is not a traditional university, so don't expect it to look like one.

rachael

Rachael, in high school teachers would gladly cut you slack if you were late, turned in assignments late, failed a test, or did not answer questions. In college you are expected and graded on letting proffessors know you have a voice. Dont be afraid to get help and speak up college is about expressing ideas. Also dont slack off be the very best you can be even if life is beating you down college is a long process for the future and is about patience.

The worst thing about my school is that there is a lack of community. I feel like im still in high school except we are not forced to talk therefore its hard to make new friends.

Someone who is interested in meeting new people who are exactly like themselves

Evan

I think the biggest piece of advice I would give myself is that I would not bite off more than I can chew. I would tell my high school self to take as many opportunities as possible, but not to sacrifice your grades or your energy on things that don't matter. The things that are most important in college is to make an opportunity or opportunities for yourself and not to let people get in the way of your dreams. It's import, high school senior version of me, to realize that some opportunities will only happen once. Those opportunities, you must take without a second glance. The other opportunities that you make will be great, but the once-in-a-lifetime ones are the ones that are most important to take. Make sure you balance your time correctly and don't fiddle fart around. Focus on what matters: grades, extra curriculars and your major.

I think the best thing about the school is the fact that no matter what the class is, there is some professor that is engaging. Some teachers usually know what there talking about and the people that do are very engaging and want to see you succeed. I think that the sassier the teacher is and the one that is willing to connect with me on a deeper level is a teacher that I want to work with and do well in their class because of.

I think the perosn that should attend this school are the liberally-inclined. This school is very accepting of people who are any sexual orientation or any race and the school is very accepting of people who are more artistically inclined as well. They pride themselves on having a pretty big focus in the arts and that's really exciting to see.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.