Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Additional Loan Options

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Seleny

Portland State University is a college that welcomes and promotes diversity.

Portland State University is a college that welcomes and promotes diversity.

Stop procrastinating, it's a really bad habit. Make an appointment with your counselor and ask all those questions you've been dying to ask. Stop following the crowd, don't be afraid to be yourself. And that boy you're so worried about isn't going to be there in the next two years. Truth is, everything that seems important now won't be when you're in college. Shift your focus and change your perspective. School is more than an obligation, it's a privilege. It is the steering wheel to your dream destination so treasure it. College is different, it's hard. You will spend many hours in the library actually reading the material. You will have to move out of your comfort zone and start meeting new people. You will have to prioritize, be punctual, and be well informed. You have to want to be there in order to excel. Don't give up. You are going to face many challenges in your educational career but I promise you that it will all be worth it. You will gain so much more knowledge, experience, and new insights. Your life will never be the same.

I have not been there long enough to know what the worst thing is.

Aimee

Portland State is very friendly and open, there are a lot of opportunities available for students to explore Portland both on and off campus, transportation around campus is simple since the campus itself is not very large (a bike, good shoes, or a long board serves well for getting around), and finally the faculty are typically very helpful and very supportive of your learning endeavors.

The most important thing you can remember is to make college an adventure, you're not in high school anymore so take advantage of being independent. The first few weeks of college can be the most difficult as far as finding a social sphere. Don't worry about it! The best thing you can do is keep your dorm room door open, introduce yourself to your neighbours, and go to the club fairs in the park blocks. Plus, as soon as classes start you will find your niche because you will be with very outgoing people who are interested in the same things you are! On the same note, network as much as possible. Exchange phone numbers, friend people on Facebook, arrange study groups, etc. all of which will help you find friends and access help for homework questions. Because PSU is on the quarter system exams come up fast. Therefore, always be reviewing the material you are learning and make good use of the library for study groups and tutors. The last thing you should do is take advantage of the recreation center and the outdoor program. Both places have great opportunities available to meet people and stay active.

The best thing about Portland State is its location in Portland. If you get tired of being on campus it is a simple matter of taking the MAX rail or the streetcar or a bus to get anywhere in the surrounding Multnomah County. Although campus itself is quite lovely with the park blocks located right outside the library. There are plenty of great places to study out in the sun on a warm spring day.

Leslie

Portland State University is in transition.

Portland State University is in transition.

Students at PSU are opinionated but sheltered.

Don't take anything for granted. Hard work is mandatory to succeed. Stay focused, but don't let yourself become alienated. And, above everything else: Its ok if you don't get through life in the same way as everyone else. There are no rules saying "when" you have to go to college - just keep on track and don't allow yourself to feel less than others . You will go to gcollege when it is right for you!

Portland State works with many other colleges/universties to help students obtain their academic goals. Their advisors seem very knowledgeable and helpful in directing students on how to obtain access to programs that would help them get into the careers they want. PSU has a very diverse population and group work was encouraged in most of the classes.

Dear High School Self- Find something you're passionate about and beleive in yourself enough that you can accomplish it. School is hard work, so make sure you ask your teachers and your peers for advice. The answers are not always ight in front of you. Don't be shy and dont be afraid to voice your own opinion. Chances are the majority of the room will agree with you. Even if they dont, you are thoughtful and respectful enough in your answers that you will most likely give them something new to think about. Take classes both in and out of your comfort zone and give them everything you got. Dont give up. Even when you really, really want to. Keep your head up and be nothing less than successful.

I wish I had known more about the student run career/advice center. I heard about it after I had graduated and how it was a great help to many of the students there.

I would tell myself to get as involved with campus activities as possible--clubs, student unions, volunteer causes in the city--so I could leave university not only having graduated with admirable grades but also having grown individually. Looking back on my time in school, my biggest regret is that I never was able to prioritize that part of my education. Between working full time, coaching a sports team at a high school in my area, and studying (often at more than full time status), I thought that it was not necessary to add one more task to the mountain of things I did each week. But from my vantage point now, with the benefit of hindsight being 20/20, I know that I would have relished the opportunities to contribute to something I had passion for and to have really achieved something within my city's community by the end of my undergraduate career.

If you don't come with a clear goal and plan to make professor relationships, you may struggle later on when trying to find someone who knows you as a student (e.g. for a letter of recommendation).

A large number of people have been studying at that campus for 7+ years and are not any closer to completing a degree. It is not a traditional university, so don't expect it to look like one.

rachael

Rachael, in high school teachers would gladly cut you slack if you were late, turned in assignments late, failed a test, or did not answer questions. In college you are expected and graded on letting proffessors know you have a voice. Dont be afraid to get help and speak up college is about expressing ideas. Also dont slack off be the very best you can be even if life is beating you down college is a long process for the future and is about patience.

The worst thing about my school is that there is a lack of community. I feel like im still in high school except we are not forced to talk therefore its hard to make new friends.

Someone who is interested in meeting new people who are exactly like themselves

Evan

I think the biggest piece of advice I would give myself is that I would not bite off more than I can chew. I would tell my high school self to take as many opportunities as possible, but not to sacrifice your grades or your energy on things that don't matter. The things that are most important in college is to make an opportunity or opportunities for yourself and not to let people get in the way of your dreams. It's import, high school senior version of me, to realize that some opportunities will only happen once. Those opportunities, you must take without a second glance. The other opportunities that you make will be great, but the once-in-a-lifetime ones are the ones that are most important to take. Make sure you balance your time correctly and don't fiddle fart around. Focus on what matters: grades, extra curriculars and your major.

I think the best thing about the school is the fact that no matter what the class is, there is some professor that is engaging. Some teachers usually know what there talking about and the people that do are very engaging and want to see you succeed. I think that the sassier the teacher is and the one that is willing to connect with me on a deeper level is a teacher that I want to work with and do well in their class because of.

I think the perosn that should attend this school are the liberally-inclined. This school is very accepting of people who are any sexual orientation or any race and the school is very accepting of people who are more artistically inclined as well. They pride themselves on having a pretty big focus in the arts and that's really exciting to see.

Casy

Liberal and very progressive.

Liberal and very progressive.

Try harder. Take more math and science. You might not think you'll use it in life, but you will. Also, pay attention in English class. Everyone needs to learn how to write; for business, science, history, everything. People will take you seriously if you write well, despite being young. Even if you don't know what you want from life, try your hardest and choose a major that elicits passion. College doesn't have to lead to a career, but it should lead to a happy life. This comes from staying involved in things that matter; coursework, clubs, etc.

They focus on creating well-rounded students in a number of fields. If a student studies Engineering, they must take English courses, and if a student studies English, they must take a science/math course.

Mason

Hey there buddy, I know stuff is messed up right now with the war and everything but be good to Christina. She deserves the best. Also, you should study for those SATs a little harder. You are much smarter than you give yourself credit for. There are going to be some tough times ahead. You are going to be diagnosed with a life changing disability in a couple of years so enjoy your body while it's still unencumbered. This is very important: trust your intuition but don't stop challenging yourself. You won't know what you want to do with your life for quite a few years and will try just about everything. That's okay. Go for it. Remember how much you loved Biology? Well it turns out that doctors (including a kind of doctor called a naturopath; right up your alley) major in biology. I really think you'd enjoy it. Also, organic chemistry is much more fun than it sounds. It's just a bunch of puzzles! Don't stop being active. You love soccer and cycling. Don't forget that! Okay Mase, have fun. I'll see you in a few years. Mason

jocelyn

My school is the heart of downtown Portland that is ideal for liberals and poets, law men and dancers, advocates and explorers because we bring the world in together for a melting pot of diversity and experience.

I know you don't feel really confident right now about scholarships, college applications, and job searches, but in a year you will open your eyes to see just how amazing the world is once you take a moment to breathe. At first it may seem scary to move from your home into a dorm with complete strangers, but it wont be as bad. Try to talk to people when you're checking the mail or riding the elevator. If you're just chilling in your room, leave the door open to let fellow residents come in to introduce themselves. Do the same if you find a door open ony our way to your room. Just remember to knock and say hello first! I know it's hard for you to sometimes start a conversation, but here's an easy trick to break the ice. Decorate your half of the door with images that represent your likes and passions. That way people with similar interests can find you. Of course, don't give them everything! It would also be a great bonding moment if you invite your roommate to do it too. Don't forget to be yourself.

The worst thing about my school is that lately everyone has been worried about the rights of our teachers. Their union and the administration have been going through a contract debate. If things don't go fairly, our teachers will strike and risk Spring term due to the unreaosnable working conditions. We have been having several rallies to pull in staff and student support. The students are ready to back up the teachers, even if it means pausing our degree process. We love our teachers, they have our backs and we have theirs.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.