Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Casey

Take general classes freshamn year and experience many different majors. Learn as much as possible about the different fields before picking a major and then stick to it. Too much time and money can be spent on switching majors after you have invested a few years into the program. Always work on a major which directly relates to a career, never study something that is purely interest.

Variety of degree programs and integration into a large city.

Maggie

It collaborates with other colleges nearby and a medical school, so the connections here are great.

I think I should have been more open to looking at larger colleges, because they have a lot more to offer in terms of courses and scheduling than smaller ones. Also I should have looked for more scholarships, it definitely helps. With what I have learned at this point, there are things I wish I had done differently, hindsight bias isn't much fun. But I know that with what I knew then, the college I went to was everything I thought I wanted.

There are many courses available and scheduling is a lot easier than it was at the school I transferred from. Also the location is right in the city, and the public transportation is great. The professors I've had so far are easy to talk to and seem really interested in their respective fields.

It is one of the largest universities in Portland! It is conveniently located in downtown Portland, and it seamlessly blends in to the city. It is easily accessible both by car and by public transportation, and it attracts students of all demographics. In Portland, the school seems to be best known for its physical location as well as the fact that it has an extensive selection of subjects available to study. It offers both Undergraduate and Graduate degrees in a multitude of disciplines.

As a high school senior I was depressed and felt trapped at home. I lacked the energy to imagine life's potential. To ease the college application process, I picked one nontraditional college near my home to apply at. The idea of attending a more "traditional" college seemed frightening; I imagined it would be nothing more than an extension of high school (which had felt overly restrictive and oppressive). I didn't consider the fact that college could have been my ticket to a better city with more opportunities for me. I was accepted to the school of my choice, where I spent a year making bad, unhealthy decisions and getting in to dangerous situations before finally dropping out and making a move to a new city (where I would eventually go back to school and finish my undergraduate degree). I would love to tell my past self to value herself, imagine a better life, and utilize college as a tool to get to the life that she wants. I would let her know that she should apply to multiple schools - and pick schools in cities that intrigued her. Mostly, I would want her to know that life gets better.

This is not the best school for ambitious people who want to take charge of their own educations. While attending as a full-time student, I was also working full-time; however, this was difficult as I had some professors who would schedule additional class activities at times outside of our normal class time. In addition, I had to debate the advising department on a quarterly basis for permission to take an above average number of courses per term. Most of my classmates did not work and were taking smaller courseloads, and I felt out of place amongst my peers.

Thomas

An education in the heart of the city, for everyone.

An education in the heart of the city, for everyone.

They are a diverse group from varied backgrounds and many views on life.

Hey! You know what? Get off your heinie and do something with yourself! What do you mean who am I? I'm you, but like two years in the future. Yeah. I know, I got really good looking. It's all about those oats and squats. You're not too bad your- wait, hold on. I need to give you advice! Okay, I only have a few seconds here. Let me see what I can - no I have no idea how I got here - well, considering where you are now, take everything seriously, and for serious ask her out to prom. She's totally into you. What else, what else... Start running? Join clubs, in the first year! I know, but they're only lame in their introductions! Also study! Like seriously study! When they say study an hour for each hour of class they really mean it! Also take time for yourself, but don't make all the time for yourself! Only a few words left, so invest in Bitcoin and bail out in like 2013 you'll thank me later. Also the Seahawks are going to win next year. Yeah, I know right?

Katrina

Downtown location, near so many great resources.

Downtown location, near so many great resources.

I would tell myself a few things. One, to finish the courses you start. Dropping classes mid term repeatedly, just because it's hard or you think you might change majors, doesn't look good on transcripts , can hurt your GPA, and wastes money. Talk to an advisor about any questions on majors, and most colleges have free tutors available in all subjects; asking for help is never a bad thing. The next thing would be to keep an eye on finances. With scholarships and loans it can be easy to see "money growing on trees". It doesn't, so make sure you're not spending more than you bring in. The last thing I would want my younger self to know is that the college experience is just that, an experience. Yes, grades are important, but if you only spend your time alone and studying you miss out on a lot of great opportunities and the chance to make new friends. By participating in student activities and/or groups you will enjoy a much more well rounded life during your college years.

Housing options are a little expensive close to campus.

Shannon

It is very different compared to most because it is located in the center of the city of Portland. The campus is unique in that it is very spread out around the city, so you can find yourself having class a housing building or a the second floor of a bank. The nice thing is, there is always something to do somewhere nearby and school events are not uncommon.

Shannon

There is a lot of diversity at this school, so it's hard to describe them all in one sentence. People in Portland are known for being hipsters so there is some of that. There are also many students that have come from Saudi Arabia and other places in the Middle East because of exchange programs.

Since the thing I struggled with most as a senior was deciding what my career path in college would be, I would encourage my past self to think about going into pharmacy, since that is what I ended up choosing. I would tell myself to look into what graduate programs expect and to get started on pre-requisites early. I did two years at a community college, but looking back there are classes that I have to take now at the university that I could have taken at the community college at a much cheaper price. I would also encourage my past self to look into volunteer opportunities and to think about joining some clubs and doing more extracurriculars in my first year of college. I would put the most emphasis on telling myself to start looking in to scholarships early though. I could have avoided the debt that I have been building up had I started applying earlier.

Being situated in the center of a city like Portland means that there are always things to do nearby.

Nathan

Portland State University is centered in the heart of the city. The urban environment complements the values the school sets forth of civic engagement and socially responsible living and business practices. At PSU there are many returning students, such as myself, from a large variety of backgrounds. This diversity has reinforced the inclusive culture, and has enriched the classroom experience. I could not see myself ever attending a school in a "college town"; as an older student I would feel out of place in any school without as much diversity as PSU.

Over ten years ago I left high school as a sophmore, with no diploma and no support from family or counselors. I don't blame anyone other than myself for how high school ended for me. It took ten years for me to get my life back together after that, and find the courage and discipline to return to school, and I have often thought about what I would do differently if I could go back in time, or what advice I would give my past self. If I could go back to mentor myself as a high school student, I don't know what I would tell myself. I don't have any stark words of wisdom, or warnings to give myself. What I do know is that my high school self would have a lot to say, and I would lend an ear. Some times, when life is rough, we don't need someone's advice on how to make it better; knowing that your problems are worth hearing, and that you aren't alone can make all the difference in the world, especially to a struggling high school student.

Portland State University is a school of diversity. Not only are there many foreign students, and students of a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, but the age and life-stage of students is just as varied. I would recommend PSU to any student who enjoys collaborating with people from different backgrounds, and would be interested in interacting with someone far different than themselves. Last term I had a business class, where I sat between someone from Qatar, and someone from Texas. We all three became great friends, and brought different sets of experiences to group discussions.

Kaitlyn

My school has excellent public transportation options. They also have programs set up to assist graduates find a job in their field.

I wish I had known what work study opportunities there were and if I could get them.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.