Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Additional Loan Options

Christina

I would tell myself how crazy I was for not going. How I should of listen to my gut. The next time I get a gut feeling just go for it. This is one life exprance that won't be taken away from me. It's so wonderful that there are so many people out there that want to see your dreams come true. Don't let no one stand in your way when it come to you to do better and get off of the gov promgrams. It's great that they have them but when you know you could have more than you get now why not go for it. I have a two year old son and I want to show him that if you think that you should do something better then to live off the gov then you should go out and do something about it. Thank you, Christina J. Zornes

Portland State is best known for its diversity. We have over 127 student organizations that cater to all the diverse needs of our students. There is nothing that can compare to an education that is mostly given to us by those we have in our classes that can bring their own perspective to the topics of choice. Even if there is not something that caters to you, Portland State University makes it easy to create something for yourself if you need or want it.

Because Portland State University is located directly in the city of Portland, it can be very difficult to determine what is campus and what is city because they are intertwined so strongly. Our relationship with Portland is one that is continually growing as we shape it and it shapes us. The partnerships that we are able to have with all of the local business are what I believe set Portland State apart from other city schools. I am successful at Portland State for the opportunities to grow and discover new things unlike small schools located in smaller towns.

If I could have a conversation with myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to avoid settling. As a high school senior, and even well before that, I had already decided on what I wanted to do professionally after undergrad. I was settled on a major and a track to become a dentist. I had thought that by knowing ahead of time, that I was making the best decision. On the contrary, by settling in so fast, I did not give myself a chance to do what you are supposed to do in college: explore. I wish I had known before going to school that I did not have to be certain about anything. Although by settling, I was held back from many choices, I did not let it hold me down permanently. I have still changed my major twice and have even considered changing it a third time. I wish more students coming to college believe that it is okay to be unsure about making choices and that they do not have to be made right away. The first years of college are flexible students should be allowed growth and opportunities.

Brooke

This school is urban, unique, diverse, and a great center for higher education.

This school is urban, unique, diverse, and a great center for higher education.

I would tell myself to continue working hard and aim for the highest goals. There is no limit to personal achievement. I would tell myself to keep up on study skills and also communication and networking skills. Organization and balance are very key. The work you put into high school DOES count. If you prepare yourself, college really is not as hard as they say. Never take for granted the opportunities you are given. Cease them all and do not be afraid to be involved. Most of all, be your own person. Have faith in yourself seek to inspire others.

To sign up for even more classes! They are not as hard as I had thought. There is a lot of work but also helpful teachers and resources.

Kellie

First off, Kellie, get over that guy you dated for like 2 weeks the last month of high school. He's just going to drag you along and he's way too immature for you. You deserve someone who respects you as an equal. Second off, do some solid career research- stop moping around the house, maybe volunteer before you head off to college. You'll thank me a million times over in the long run. Begin networking with organizations now, and you'll find a job faster later on when the job market takes a nosedive. Finally, look for scholarships if you still decide that you think it's a smart idea to still go straight to state university instead of starting at a community college. You're going to be in about $20,000 in debt if not more by the time you graduate from there. Think things through a little bit, think about how your actions today will affect your future tomorrow. If you do that, you'll feel a little less lost than you do jumping right into things.

Portland State is a commuter school with a wide range of classes and majors to focus on, but very little in the way of help or caring from faculty or other students; if you want to meet people, you will have to really put yourself out there!

If I could go back in time and give myself advice for the transition to college, I would tell myself to relax and keep my priorities straight. I felt a lot of pressure left-over from what I'd heard in high-school about classes, professors, etc... but, in the end, the best practice is to relax and take it all in stride. I'd tell myself to keep the big picture in mind, but to focus on one term at a time. I would tell myself that it's okay to make mistakes, because professors are actually pretty forgiving, and as a young adult, that's what happens. I'd encourage myself not to live with my parents despite the money I saved, because I'd have met more friends and had a more fulfilling experience. I would remind myself that debt will be there no matter what, these days, so do it all. I'd definitely tell myself to study abroad for a full year, instead of six months, because that was the best experience I had during college. I would tell myself that you only get out what you put in, so work hard and have fun.

The kind of person who wants to party, wants to be involved in campus activites, who is in it for the social aspect is a student who should not attend PSU.

Edith

I'm a very smart girl I would have paid a lot more attention in class then what I was.I never stop beliveing in myself. The wrong turns Imay have taken in high school I won't make the same mistakes. I will work a lot harder putting in a lot of hours to accomplish my goals.

Angela

Busy, but laid back. Green, forward thinking, and progressive. Very community oriented.

Although I did not complete High School, but my GED instead, I would tell myself several things about what to expect. First, that just because something is difficult, doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile. Second, to get a head-start on everything you are assigned, especially at University level. I would also encourage my younger self to try and begin college a bit sooner than I did. The most important thing I would talk to my younger self about, is to keep moving forward and not to let fear of failure stop myself from trying new things or being afraid of taking a risk. I would tell myself that although I sometimes had a very, very hard time with certain courses, I have become a more confident, well-rounded person because of it.

Campus has expanded a lot, much bigger than I had thought it would be.

Halley

PSU is a mid-sized, very environmentally-friendly campus, with an ethnically/culturally diverse population of students mostly in their mid-to-late twenties.

This is wonderful time to be independent, social, and find yourself as an adult, but school really does need to come first. It's OK to say, "sorry, I can't hang out right now, I have to study," because there will always be an occasion to hang out, and you won't have to study all of the time. Use the available resources. Make an appointment with a counselor and plan which courses to take with your end goal in mind (not just what courses sound interesting). Ask what you think are stupid questions--ask any/all questions--because unfortunately the administration isn't always forthcoming with helpful information--do this with the financial aid dept., etc., as well. Go to your professors' office hours, even if it's just to review a lecture or shoot the breeze, so that they know who you are. They want you to succeed and that connection can really pay off--think letters of recomendation, job opportunities. Learn to budget your money and schedule your time! And last but not least have fun, go dancing, get your heart broken, because you really won't be young and pretty forever.

In my experience the administration (institution department staff, professors, counselors) has been very helpful and is dedicated to the academic success of students as well as their success in life outside of school. The campus is really beautiful in all seasons (a park runs through the middle) and the library, computer labs, and rec center are very modern and well-equipped. The campus reflects the community's social climate of acceptance of diversity, "green" and affordable living, and general consideration for other people, animals, and the environment.

Caitlin

PSU is know for it's green ways, urban enviroment, underground tunnels, sky-birgdes, bowling ally and it's willingness to work with students. As a large part of downtown Portland, PSU is also know for odd little quirks and lot's of entertainment!

PSU is in an urban enviromnent, but has a huge amounts of sports and activities for students. Students and staff members are extremely friendly, and it has film as a major. It's also right next to the NorthWest film center.

Going back, I would tell myself to look harder for scholarhsip oppertunities. I should have applied to far more than I did originally, so I would not be scrambling now to come up with funds. I'd also advise myself that my major, video production, exists and to do all I can to pursue it. That people will be willing to help me each step of the way, and that while it will be difficult at times (particularly my freshman year) It will soon become extremely rewarding. I'd also suggest getting a vacumn cleaner that first year. Frankly, we really needed it.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.