Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

jeff

Very liberal, but great education for the money spent.

Very liberal, but great education for the money spent.

It is best known for its academics, and engineering programs

The first thing I would tell my self, is to listen to your own self, not all the other people around you, make your own deciscions, and most of all, take your time it is not a race to the finish line, no matter who passes you by, or how muich time, it is the quality of education you seek that will pave the way for better and brighter future ahead of you.

Amy

I would tell myself to not feel pressured to go to college right away. Unless you know exactly what you want to go for, exactly what career you want, take your time deciding. Be smart with money, balance work and play, and develop communication or "people" skills. As you do these things, your true gifts and desires will unfold and you will make better decisions for the long haul. And only make decisions for you, not to please anyone else. Do all of this and you'll be just fine, no matter what your academic timeline ends up looking like.

The best thing about Portland State University is that it caters to students of all ages. A student that was 75 years old would not feel out of place here.

A student looking for a traditional "college" experience. This school is a commuter school. No one just hangs out here. There are no big, successful sports teams. There is not a school spirit vibe. The student that would do best here are the ones very academically focused.

Randy

The best thing about PSU is its location. The professors are great, the classes are enjoyable, and most of the student body is pretty cool (not to mention the food carts); but the real WIN factor is all that downtown Portland has to offer. Portland, Oregon is known for being a home to the eccentric, eclectic, and the weird. It's a wonderful city from which you can learn as much from a walk down a cobbled street and you can from a day of study in a lecture hall. The city is a haven for modern professionals that work in fields from international business, to art, fashion, health care sciences, social services, environmental sciences, and many MANY more. Portland State is an amazing place to study academics, the world, and yourself.

Portland State has so many student groups it's hard to keep track of them all. We have everything from Professional Leadership Groups to the Snowboarding Club. There are groups for foreign languages, actors, musicians, computer geeks, sports, basically anything you can think of. What's even better is that if there isn't a student group on campus for whatever you're in to, the Student Activities Leadership Program will help you start a group of your own!

With nearly 30,000 students PSU is the largest school in Oregon, but doesn't necessarily feel that way all of the time. The university is divided up into its respective colleges and departments which makes for a much stronger sense of community among teachers and students. Professors usually learn your name and after a few terms you'll begin to see the same students from class to class. Students are not necessarily competitive with one another, but a strong sense of community involvement is usually promoted in most classes. Again, depending on which major you choose your academic experience could vary greatly; but on the whole PSU will provide you with the skills, tools, and knowledge necessary to be successful in life.

Marilynn

The best thing about PSU is it's location and many programs it provides. PSU is in the conference Big Sky, which isn't the most popular and most active but our athletics are still amazing and we are only just improving each year. PSU is just the right size, you can almost always get to any of your classes within 5-7 minutes from where you are standing. PSU is a sustainability school, so the school is super active in recycling and being environmental. I spend most of my time in the dorms with friends or at Victor's dining hall when I'm on campus. When I tell people I attend Portland State University, they respond with a "Really, that's awesome, how big is your school?" Portland State University is the biggest university in Oregon. Most students complaints is the food at the dining hall because the choices hardly ever change.

The most popular students groups are ASPSU: Student Government, Orientation Leaders, Residents Hall Association, Intramural teams, and the football team. Most students leave their dorm doors open so other students can walk by and visit. That's how I met my closest friends, by roaming up and down the hallways of the dorms and saying hi to the students who had their doors open. Athletic events are relatively popular, I believe it has room to expand. If you're awake at 2am your either cramming for a test, having a movie night, or just roaming the downtown streets of Portland. People normally party every weekend, with having 18+ clubs just downtown. Fraternities/sororities aren't popular but they are definitely expanding their popularity. I normally spend my weekends having movie nights with my friends, or traveling to near by cities.

This school is filled with diversity, which in my case I enjoy because you get to live and be around the different cultures that are out there. You'll almost always find every kind of student here at PSU. Most students either dress up or wear sweats and a sweatshirt to class. The typical groups you'll find in the dining hall are the athletes, the kid who likes to stay to him/herself, the hipsters, and just the average joes. Most students who attend PSU are from surrounding cities or from International cities.

The academics here at PSU are mind-blowing, the professors want to get to know you and really encourage to visit them in their office hours for extra assistants you may need. You'll find students studying almost periodically. Class participation is definitely common, where in many classes you do several of presentations. One of my favorite classes is my University Studies class for FRINQ which is called Design and Society, where you get to build a bridge, reinvent a pully system, and build lego robots. It's a fun class but you definitely learn and the books you read are no easy task, however, if your looking into becoming an architect I recommend you to take this class.

The stereotypical answer you'll get is that everyone is old here, which in respect may be true but there is still young freshman and sophomores that you'll find here.

Maria

Portland State University is best known for being a commuter school. While people do live on campus, there are a lot of people who drive or take public transportation that drops them off right on campus. Another thing I have noticed is that there are many adults returning to school, and I would guess that being a commuter school makes it more convinent for them to do so.

The thing I regret most about high school in general is that I did not make the most of my time there. I wasn’t involved in many activities, I didn’t do sports or get involved in leadership, and I didn’t go to any games or other activities at my school. Quite frankly I was a nobody and if I could do it all over again I would get involved in as many things as reasonably possible and take more of the harder classes. As far as senior year goes, I would tell myself to put more time into applying for scholarships. I gave pretty mediocre effort into that whole thing which is reflected by the fact that I have nothing to show for it. Every little bit counts and whether it is paying for a textbook or for your tuition, free money is free money. I don’t think I realized how expensive textbooks alone were going to be and I know that any extra money would have come in great use. The last thing I would tell myself is to just enjoy the once in a lifetime experience that is high school.

One of the best aspects of being a student to Portland State University is how easy-going the campus feels. There is a lot to do because of the downtown location and people are just free to be themselves. With the location being so convenient, there is plenty to do on campus but when that gets old you can travel by Street Car to experience more of downtown. I like that PSU is not known for being a party school because I get the sense that people are more serious about their education.

Samuel

You will be bombarded by hundreds of ideas on what you want and what you should do. To make sense of it, simply do this: Picture where you want to be, who you want to be, and what you want to be doing ten years from now and devote yourself to getting there. Here's the tricky part; it will change and you must learn to adapt to where your interests and passions take you. It's not a race, so make the most of it.

You want to do and see everything right now, and that's okay. Just keep in mind that at some point you have to find a passion and dive into it. I'm ten years past you and I'm just figuring ours out, so by no means should you ever feel rushed. Have fun and learn a lot of interesting and (seemingly) useless things along the way. It's a journey, not a race. I don't want to use a word as constraining as "plan", but at least try to have a general scheme of where you want to go and when you do, go all in. Suffer no mediocrity and in doing so, we will have no regrets. Don't buy into anyone else's idea of what you should be doing or should be interested in or how you should act or how hard you should work. Know what you want and act accordingly.

Suresh

Sustainability. How green Portland State is. It is rated #1 in sustainability in all of the U.S. colleges.

I would definitely pay attention in high school because college is probably 10 times harder than high school. I would tell myself to learn and not just jump through the hurdles. I would tell myself to have more fun in high school because then you start missing your friends who go to different schools in different states. And lastly I would ask myself to get focused or at least think about what I want to do or become in the future.

It is not a party school. Although people do party here, but not as much. People really care about their environment here. So, if you're not a tree hugger, you'll have a tough because people really do care about their enviroment and community.

Levi

When going off to college, you think its going to be easy, but its not. After I have spent one on my own I come to realize its a lot harder than it seems. If i knew what I know now, I would planned better, took more campus visit to make sure that is the college. Talk to the current students to what their thoughts on the campus. Apply for as many scholarships as possible you never know if you get if you don't apply. The big thing I would tell the students PLAN. Start planing when you are a junior or summer before your senior year. It will help you make the best decision for you to futher your education.

Katie

Big commuter school with wide range of both small and large class sizes.

Big commuter school with wide range of both small and large class sizes.

I would say to go to community college first and to start exploring gender studies and education. Apply for as many scholarships as you can, and don't be afraid of rejection!

emily

Dear Emily, First I'll start by saying, just to prove it's me, look behind the bookcase. There's a pack of camels and a lighter mom would kill you if she knew you had. Life get's kinda crazy from here, and your in for some good times, but you already guessed at that based on how things have been recently. You're going to make some mistakes, make them. They've molded you into the tough woman you are now, but, be kinder to Jay when you break up, he doesn't deserve what you would do without this heads up. Don't get drinks with Mike, you have a chance to get two years of life back. Take Corey less seriously, he is a good kid, just a little messed up. Be nicer to Mom, she loves you very much. Spend more time with Anikan, we've had some close calls with him, and almost lost him. Life from here gets intense. Take more time to love the people who love you, you can't save the world, but you can help the people who love you. Live, laugh, and love, because time isn't promised.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.