Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Caren

I found the web design class to be especially unique and enjoyable. The professor was helpful and willing to learn right along with his class. I am also learning to appreciate the online classes offered, though it would be nice if more online classes could be offered in the future for the student who is trying to go to college and work full time.

In my high school days I really needed to be reminded not to worry so much about college life. So far everything in college has worked out as it should for me, so I really could have used advice telling me “just don’t worry so much about it.” I have met fabulous people that I would have never probably come in contact with if I had not gone to this college. These new people in my life have made my college experience more diverse and exciting. I would have loved to have known ahead of time about the people I would encounter. I almost decided not to go to college because I was confused about what I wanted to study. Then I took a web design class that changed my life. Now I enjoy web design like I never thought I would. I have learned to give new things a chance. My college experience has taught me to take risks and try new things. There is so much out there to enjoy. Don’t be afraid!

It would have been nice if I had known how friendly most people were at this college. Many of the professors are quite helpful too. College can be so intimidating, but the transition to this college has not been overly difficult for me.

Anthony

My classmates are helpful, resourceful, and regular college students just like me.

My college experience has been great so far. I have learned to communicate with classmates intelectually not just as buds. Portland State University helped me to be more resourceful and help me better to work alone and help me find help when I need it.

A person who doesn't like diversity. There is so mucg diversity here and so many backgrounds. Person who does not like to get involved should not go to this school, in at least once class you will be doing something big that will allow you to interact with other people from different places.

Frankie

The PSU campus is in a great location (downtown portland) which makes it very easy to acess. There are several forms of transportations on campus that make it very easy and affortable for students to get to and from school. The other schools I was considering did not seem to have that.

I have not been able to attend college full time like I had planned due to being financially strapped. But the classes I was able to take taught me a lot of valuable information that I will take me to my future career. This year I hope to be able to attend college full time and finish my Bachelors degree so that I can start applying to medical school. It is very important for people to realize that a college education is extremely valuable and will be a helpful asset in a student's future.

The best thing about my school is the helpful counselors that we have. I have gone to them for advice many times and they have always been very helpful and informative. It is very important for a college to employ helpful people that are a positive influence on the students.

Kelly

Portland State University is most commonly referred to as a glorified community college, which I would agree with because the classes are not very difficult and they are not made up of your traditional four-year university crowd.

Growing up I attended an elementary school with fewer than 20 students in the entire school. Going from this environment to one where there are twice as many students in the classroom and 10,000 times as many students in the school has been incredible. Every class I take I have been able to interact with different people and through this I have realized my interest in other cultures. My college experience has shown me that there are so many opportunities out there and that there are so many things I want to do with my life.

As a vegan living in Freshman year houseing who was required to have a meal plan, I found the cafeteria selections appauling. Their idea of a vegan entre was a side of potatos.

Hillary

PSU has quite a diverse population. A large percentage of this population consists of an older crowd. There are also a ton of international students (the majority of which are Asian).

I was skeptical to apply to PSU at first, because everyone in Oregon knows that Portland is filled with all kinds of peculiar people. I figured I would be going to school with a bunch of weirdos, and I would have a difficult time making friends. After being in school now for three months, I laugh at my silly pre-college fears I had. It is almost impossible to not make friends here. There are a ton of porgrams, clubs, and other activities, both academic and recreational, that anyone can get involved in. The diverse population on campus has allowed me to learn things that cannot be taught in a classroom. I have already created bonds with people that I know will last a lifetime, and I look forward to the great things the rest of my college career has to offer for the furture.

PSU has the largest number od students in Oregon, so classes fill up quick. It can be difficult to get into classes you want/need when you want/need them. Also, class sizes are a large making it difficult to get one-on-one assistance from professors.

Kira

My college experience thus far has taught me that an education is only as valuable as you make it to yourself. College is so special because we CHOOSE to go there, not because we are required to. I have learned the difference between going to school and actually learning, and how it feels to WANT to learn and be there. It has helped me learn the importance of actually wanting to improve yourself.

That there are University Studies requirements that you have to complete at PSU which other schools do not require.

Someone who loves being in the city and being around a lot of people. Portland is a strange but wonderful place, and those with open minds will love it.

Ihssan

When I attended my first college, everything seemed very weird: people, campus, and the social life at school. I first attended Portland Community College. It was a small-sized campus, yet somewhat diverse. I came to love it because the social life and getting around was very simple. I was loved by all of my professors and was surrounded by friendly classmates. Everyone was very willing to help me around. I never wanted to leave this school as I also have never experienced any trouble there. However, it was not a really active campus. Also, I always had poor grades there since I was never told about the advantages I could have. Afterwards, I transferred to PSU. The campus was very huge and much more diverse. PSU has raised my hopes in my education as well as my career goals. With all the help I can get, I have been an outstanding student with high GPAs throughout the years. It was something that I couldn't get much of from PCC. I had countless wonderful experiences just by being an observant student. It has been valuable to attend because you will always feel valued and special as a student there.

I wish I had known before I came to Portland State University that it was filled with very open-minded, fun- loving people. I wish I knew that this school was jam-packed with people of very diverse ethnic background and religion; especially from my own kind. Therefore, I will feel very welcomed there. This school is filled with different kinds of student resources for all the diverse needs that a student might need. It also has many great opportunities for students, such as work-study grants, free scholarships, and many advisors for the different needs and fields of study.

I consider the many unhygienic restrooms and classrooms as one of the worst things about this school. I also consider as well that some of the buildings and dorms are very old and really demand remodeling. I must also say that because the campus is especially located in downtown, you will see many homeless and racist people as you pass by. You may experience theft, harassment, being stared at, and being picked on. This experience doesn't happen that much though. You may also find some educators from nearby schools that are ignorant and racist as I have experienced.

Eleah

Location. Portland State is the only urban college in Oregon. You can catch a train or bus from most suburbs to get to campus. There are many bars, restaurants, and food carts nearby.

I was initially quite scared to attend college. As the youngest of four kids, I watched all three of my brothers pass up college, and pursue other interests. I enrolled at the community college, and half-heartedly got through my first two years. During the summer of 2010, I applied, and trasnferred, to PSU. Figuring out how to be financially stable while attending college was my biggest hurdle. At the community college, I worked 60 hour weeks, and came out a near-zombie. With the help of my some friends, I was situated with student loans, and a game plan. Being able to get myself into college without the cushy support of my parents has been my main motivating factor. I push myself to do the best that I can, on everything I do. I cannot settle knowing that I could of done better. College has shaped my character, and made me a stronger person. It has also given me the self-esteem to recognize that, just because one person did not think I would be able to do it, did not mean that I could not.

Portland State has a higher average age than must public universities. It also has a high number of transfer students. PSU is good for students who live in the suburbs, or with family, as it is located in the middle of the city, with easy access. Being in Portland, it is an environmentally friendly campus, and is fairly relaxed, overall.

Maggie

College is such a stepping stone in life. It's going out there and carrying on with your life. My parents can't take care of me forever and it's my time to go out there and live. So far it's been a huge adjustment, I moved away from home, and had to take on a whole new lifestyle. At first it was a difficult adjustment because everything changed in one night. All the sudden I was on my own. I was living in a different place without my family with all new people. It's been valuble to attend though, I've already learned so much. It teaches you a lot of responsibility and time management. It takes responsibility because no one is there to tell you to do your work or study, it's all up to you and if you don't take the time to study you'll pay for it, literally. I've met so many new amazing people and am living in a beautiful city. College is hard, but if you work for it, you will make it.

To me, the best thing about my school is the location. It is located right in the heart of downtown Portland. The campus itself is in the city and there is always things going on. Also, if you live on campus having a car isn't really necessary, because there is so much free transportation. It can however, be a pain if you want to go outside city limits or not have to rely on the city's transportation schedule. Also I love how diverse everyone is and how it's okay to be different.

The worst thing to me is the weather. It rains all the time in Portland and is always overcast and cloudy. Also it's chilly. It's seldom that it's sunny. It can go 2 weeks and the sun will never come out. It was nice in the beginning of fall and in the summer, but in the winter it rains constantly. For me it's a bad thing because I love sunshine and kind of get seasonal depression. I'm getting more used to the rain, but it makes it hard to want to go do anything.

Jaymie

I have attained so much knowledge about myself, others, and the way we all manage money while attending college that I would never regret this experience. I have been able to explore what motivates me , at what point I crack under pressure, how I should and shouldn't manage my time and money, and how I affect others under stress. With a couple years left there is still much to learn, but college creates this unique environment of pressure and support that will inevitably cause growth.

The worst thing abou Psu could be the fact that they don't award Clark County, Washington residents in-state tuition for living so close to campus--this means paying over two times as much to go to school and commute there when you just live across the river.

The most frustrating thing about Psu would be their financial aid system. If you drop a class, it nearly takes until the end of the quarter to process your tuition refund, even if your account knows how much money to give back to you within days.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.