Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Ayley

Continuing my education has baited me. It gave me a taste for meat and made me hungry for the rest of that big world out there. I love learning all that I can. It has helped me to realize the big and great things that are out there. I really can do great things and I have been blessed to have the tools to get there. It's going to be long and it is going to be tough at times, but just because it is not going to be easy does not mean that it's not going to be worth it! I have tasted success and independence in small fractions, I can only imagine what the future holds. Just thinking about the beauty I can contribute to the world humbles me to no end. College can take me straight there. It can all be possible; I just need to reach out and grab it! I'm going to grab everything I love by the hand and run headfirst into the rest of my life. I cannot wait!

Maab

In my first term in Portland State University, I learned how valuable time is. Timing was the biggest obstacle on my way this previous term. At the beginning of the term, I spent much time wondering around the campus and making friendships than doing my homework. However, my advisor suggested attending procrastination workshops. There where I learned how to manage it by planning the time to finish school work allowed to mange my life as a college student and an adult. Using a planner and a calendar helped me keeping a track of my school work. Having fun with friend is not a terrible thing, but finishing the important things in school comes before spending time socializing and making friendships. Planning school time is the best way to succeed in school, and still have much time for life outside the school.

Privet transportation is really expensive.

A person who is seeking to live in middle of the beauty of the city of Portland should attend Portland State University.

My college experience has been valuable because I have been exposed to people and opportunities that are not available elsewhere. There is limited room for advancement in the workforce without an education, and employees are often treated as disposable and replaced often. The university environment has been structured to ensure fairness and idealism, which is a novel experience after struggling in the 'real world' for so many years. Also, within my department, there is a sense of unity and kinship that I believe is rare in most fields. The experience asssociated with being around people with similar interests and aspirations, people who just 'get it', has been reinvigorating. I feel I learn from the other students often, and we collectively have a great deal of support from the faculty. I have enjoyed the college experience so much that I plan to attend graduate school and pursue a masters degree. The education I have been, and will continue to recieve, both in and out of the classroom, will hopefully prove itself invaluable in the formation of my future and pursuance of a higher quality of life.

The students here mostly come from a background where they have taken some time off to pursue other things. The average student age is 27 and it is a commuter campus, so the maturity level is a bit different than at most colleges.

If you are extremely liberal, want a degree in something that will never get you a job, are vegan, and a weird portland hipster/artist type, this is a good fit.

Olivia

College has taught me how important the learning experience is, in order to move forward in life as an individual and as a society we have to learn from our mistakes and look at the whole picture. College allows you to learn about what inspires you from different prespectives so that maybe one day you can take that knowledge a step further in order to create a better life. You meet so many different people that it allows your mind to be more open so that you can be a better person. It is valuable to go through this exsperience because college helps you grow intellectually and as a person in general; it is a learning experience that you cannot not achieve anywhere else and allows our community's to grow.

That they are able to provide a good school enviroment and professors who are interested in the success of their students for a resonable tuition. Their are many students who need to go to school or want to go back to school but are worried about exspenses and Portland State provides that oppurtunity with excellent schooling.

I wish I had known more about how to register and what classes I need to be taking for my major so that I was more prepared for registration and planning the classes I would be taking.

Alexa

my classmates are all unique, each one is like a snow falke.

my classmates are all unique, each one is like a snow falke.

The most valuable thing I have gained so far from my college experience is that everyone is different, and that everyone has got an oppinion on everything. Therefore I believe that what I have gained thus far is wisdom, I now have the patience to not just hear, but actually listen and appreciate the oppinions of others around me. Beyond the fact that college is place for people to gain knowledge, I think it has been valuable for me to attend college because I believe that this is the place where I've grown the most, and gained a good sense of self.

There are too many things I want to do/join, I can't pick!

Brad

The school is located downtown and is walking distance from just about anything you need. There is lots of good quality public transportation on campus. The sports program isnt that big so there isnt a lot of school pride. The business program is real good. The school of business offers a lot of opportunities to get students internships, jobs, and class work that reflects on resumes.

There is a lot of international students at PSU. It can be a problem working in groups with students who do not speak english well but it has never harmed my grade. Most students are from all types of backgrounds. Young, old, rich, poor. They are all here.

This school provides a lot of experience for individuals who have not spent a lot of time in a downtown city atmosphere. PSU offers lots of opportunities because of its central location. Spending time in a busy environment like the city will help you prepare for after graduation.

nope. Its not that bad. But the school theme is sustainability.

It seems like its a hassle to come downtown every time I want to go to campus. It can be a problem meeting with professors since they are so busy. The students at PSU are average quality. A lot of night classes since many students work full time.

There is a lot of groups and activities to get involved in at PSU. Lots of sustainability initiatives. Lots of outdoor programs and opportunities. There are lots of bars on and walking distance from campus to socialize. There is plenty of places to meet people. There is a gaming lounge on campus where people can bowl, pool, video games, or other party games.

lots of eco freaks who want to save the world

Julie

Campus is in the city with a nice urban feel, easy to get to. There are students from all over the world so you hear different languages practically more than English when walking around. It makes it feel like a bigger city like NY which I like, but Portland itself is good too. There is a big age range..I think the average age is 27 or something, which makes things more interesting. The major thing that bugs me is how short the terms are. It's on the quarter system so the regular school year is 3 10-week terms and they go by really fast.

I think it would be impossible for someone to feel out of place at PSU. I see every kind of person imaginable here. Students seem politically aware/active and more left-leaning, I would say.

It's basically great. I sort of wish I could just keep going to school here, but I guess that's what grad school is for.

actually not at all. It's a much better school than I thought. I was returning to finish my degree that I started at a private school back east and it was convenient and relatively cheap to just go to PSU. I was surprised at how good it is. Sure there are idiots who waste everyone's time with their questions and professors who don't know how to shut them down, but you're going to find that everywhere I think.

People seem to work really hard here. Maybe because there are a lot of returning students who tend to appreciate it more and get more out of it, myself included. I was a terrible student the first time around.

I know most of my friends from classes. I live off campus so I don't really know what goes on in the dorms. There's a cool movie theater that's free for students and always plays good classics and cult films. I've never actually been to it, but always think I should.

maybe that they're at PSU because they couldn't get it together to go somewhere else

John

The best thing about Portland State University is the city itself. Portland is a well planned and beautiful place to be. everything a college student would need is within walking distance. I feel like the PSU campus is the perfect size. i have been to campus' like UW and this school is a lot more walker friendly. Not only is it the right size, but whoever planned the campus is very talented in that the school is part of the city. If it weren't for the signs and Portland State University emblems, you wouldn't even know you were on a school campus. I, personally, love spending time in the Park Blocks. I love that this city and school put a little piece of land aside for nature. If i could change anything it would be the amount of restaurants that accept the PSU meal plan dining dollars. with the exception of that there is really nothing wrong with this beautiful place.

I feel that during my time at Portland State University, I have been treated with respect, open acceptance of differences and tolerance. The people at PSU are chill. If you are looking for people who will invite, accept, and relate to you no matter your gender, color, or creed, you will find it easy to have a good college experience at PSU. However, if you are into persecuting and hating people for their race, ethnicity, sexual preference, religious belief, or political affiliation, than Portland State University is not the college for you.

I can honestly say that in my First year experience so far i have seen all of these stereotypes acted out by students. All except the last. as a first year student i am part of a learning community that is based in the housing facilities. on each floor of these housing communities there are two RA's and an LCA (Residence Assistant and Learning Community Assistant) these people are peer leaders that help us make better decisions as freshmen residence. That's not to say that there are no parties but, the environment that you will live in your first year is safer than that of most.

The academic life at Portland State University is interesting because, with the small class sizes, you actually have the opportunity to get to know the people you are learning from. My teachers know me by first name basis and every class i feel a new passion and hunger for learning more. especially with my Arabic class. after each class i feel more motivated to continue studying. Portland State supports my interest in finding who i want to be in life, while still allowing me to see the possible careers that parallel my passions.

At Portland State University there is always something to do or some kind of activity being put on. The rec center is a great place to meat people, play sports and other activities and the best part is that it is free to full time students. walking down the dorm halls there is always a few doors open mostly because this is an invitation to come visit. There is a few theaters and two malls within the free trimet rail zone, Safeway a couple blocks away, tons of restaurants and a couple of night clubs for people 18+. Once you get to know more people and get a good recognition of the city, possibilities are endless.

I feel like stereotypes of Portland State University students include easy going, open minded, Eco friendly,and one that i saw as i read blogs about PSU was party animals haha.

Kaitlyn

My classmates are a very odd group of wanna-be hippies and anarchists.

My classmates are a very odd group of wanna-be hippies and anarchists.

I've only been in college for a month, but I think the most valuable thing I've learned is how to manage my time on my own. There is so much more freedom, and I'm responsible for making sure all the things I need to do get done without anyone halping or reminding me. It's a little scary, but very liberating.

The worst thing about my school is that there is very little student-teacher interaction, and the student is forced to teach themselves more than they are taught in class. The lecture style is good for students who can learn that way, but terrible for interactive learners.

Anthony

What I have been gotten out of my experience is how independent I have become. I used to depend on a lot of people like teachers or my parents but with this university that is not the case. It was a big leap and a tough transition but it is vital because in a few years I will be on my own. It helps you for the road ahead.

A person who expects a lot of help. Being indepepndent is the number one thing that I did not expect and I kind of need more help around there.

It is a very big school having over 28000 students so being independent is a must, there are advisors but it takes time to get a meeting. You must help yourself even when scheduling classes because you have to do it online, you cannot come to someone and talk to them while they can access your classes and change it for you.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.