Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Yuko

The age range of PSU students are very diverse, which is rare for a regular rural 4 years college. I get alot of different experiences from working with lots of diverse people. Also 5 % of PSU students are the international students, which is alot.

It wouldn't be easy for you to go to another country that people speak a complete different language and to study at college. However, you can do it with extraordinary hard work. Pleae be confident with yourself, and do what you really want to do right now. Gain new experiences, and polish your soul and learn about life. American college is a complete different environment from what you used to be. There are a lot of resources that are very helpful and necessary for you to be successful in collge life and career. Take your time and bear the frustration. Please be patient with yourself, and try to have fun with anything you need to do. Don't worry too much about your future, but always know what you are doing, only then you will find your right way. Your health is the most important thing when you are in a foreign country. Eat as well as you can. Exercise as much as you can. Believe in yourself, and enjoy your life in college.

It is located at downtown. It is one of the few universities that is at urban city area. I love that I can get everything I need around campus, for school and to just hang out with my friends!

I would advise my former self to apply herself better to her education, and to explore more subjects.

I wish I had known what kinds of financial aid were available to me, and had a clearer understanding of what kind of degree program would suit me best.

PSU is a good school for all types of students.

Rasena

The advice I would give myself would be to take the required courses, such as math, science, and foreign languages first, before taking any of the fun classes just so they are done. It's not fun waiting until the very end to take the required classes, especially when you are so close to graduating, or wanting to move in a different direction, in but have to wait due to these required courses that were put off till the end. Also to enjoy school it?s an experience that only comes once in a while and to take advantage of what you can while still can.

The campus is in the middle of the city which means there is always something going on.

The campus is really nice to be at, and when you need help it is very easy to find.

Corie

Although it is a public state school, Portland State University has garnered the prestige of a private college as a result of its student's work ethic, quality of professors, and resources available to students.

Decide which career you want to pursue, research it thoroughly, and do what feels right.

Lindsey

PSU has a lot of diversity regarding student age. As a 27 year old, I do not at all feel out of place in my classrooms, because many of the students are near my age group or older.

If I were able to address my eighteen year old self, I would undoubtedly tell her to focus more on her education and take advantage of her counselors and scholarship facilities. I often regret that I spent too many hours working while I was in highschool and, as a result, let my education take a backseat. Now that I have returned to college and am thriving (4.0 GPA as compared to the 2.8 that I graduated high school with), I realize how easily I could have succeeded in school earlier in my life. I certainly would have gained more access to scholarships and grants had I known then what I know now.

Portland State offers a wide variety of programs, and the professors are professionals in their fields. It is the advice and availability of professors here that make this school so wonderful.

Caren

If I had a chance to go back in time to visit myself as a high school senior, I would encourage my high school self to plan what I wanted to do more clearly then write about where I would want to be in five years (as an occupation and lifestyle), and to start taking classes that related to the degree that would allow me to work where I wanted to be in five years. I'd also encourage my high school self to start taking college classes according to my degree so I could begin my degree earlier while I was in my last year of high school and adjust to the transition of moving to a larger school better. If I could do anything or say anything else to my high school self, it would be to think more out of the box, read more information related to my future job, make more connections and meet people related to my "dream job", visit Portland and enjoy the luxuries of the Portland Art Museum more, and pay more attention to the world around me.

Since it is a university, I am able to attain my bachelor's degree in my major and get a complete education. I also enjoy knowing I am learning from very intelligent instructors and am being fairly graded. I am specifically enjoying my language classes which have an excellent method of instruction : full immersion, which I think is the best way to learn a language.

When I talk about my school, I typically emphasis the excellent art department that has highly focused themselves on creativity, good design, aesthetics, layout, concept, and cohesion. The art department really cares and looks after their students. I also find the setting a lot less stressful than my previous school, but they still push for the best. The art department encourages learning, experimentation, and practice.

Tamara

Our school is best known for "being green" and very liberal.

Our school is best known for "being green" and very liberal.

I would definitely have fun, be more relaxed, and finish college before starting a family. I rushed into my first marriage too soon, and it's harder to go to school as a single mom. That being said, it's definitely worth going to college- it's a great experience. I would have definitely worked harder at getting scholarships my junior and senior year of high school and take advantage of the career counselors there.

The worst thing about the school is since it is a large, mostly commuter school, the people in your class can live very far apart, so it can make it difficult to get together outside of class either for study grops or social activities.

Hyeyoung

I would like to travel for historical places because I could not understand foreign places. It is hard to image other places without seen. I wanted to know many other countries life style and their history. Also, I would like to read text books with other source books because other books could help me to understand what text says. Finally, I wanted to do some activities such as hiking, camping, and out door activities.

It is hard to meet professor because I am busy and they are busy. It is hard to match the time.

Catherine

One of the biggest concerns to me now, and which I did not really consider much as a high schooler, is the issue of money. I have gone through four years of school, even a year abroad, all on large student and parent loans, and I wish I had realized just how much school costs, and the best way to use it to get the most out of your education. As a high schooler, I thought I would recieve many scholarships, and have no problem financially, but it was a lot harder than I thought as most scholarships are for minority groups or disadvantaged students. Furthermore, most schools have a large list of requirements for both majors and graduation, and it would be smart to complete these at a cheaper Community College first, then go to a higher level institution for intense training in your major afterwards to save money for the classes that count. I would stick with my choice of attending college away from home, as it is an essential experience for young people starting their own lives, as well as is studying abroad and learning about the world first hand. I wish I could do it again.

This school is not a traditional campus, it is set in the middle of the city, as part of the city. I think many students find this very interesting and fun, but I prefer a campus set apart, where students can focus on studying, and feel a more acedemic atmosphere around them.

This school is very good for anyone interested in liberal arts, music, active discussions, environmental and community based activities, and anyone who loves to use their creative mind. People who are good at facts and numbers will not have such wide range of opportunities. Also, people who have no interest in the environment or giving back to the community will find that it is incorporated into many aspects of this school, and is held very central to the school's main concerns with student involvement.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.