Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Fiona

My classmates are creative and diverse; caring for themselves and their friends, my classmates bring my school to life with excitement and intellect.

My school is best known for its urban setting, supporting its students' urban lifestyles in the heart of downtown Portland with convenient access to arts and culture, nature and the outdoors, as well as retail and transportation.

Once I had unpacked my belongings into my new dorm room and felt aquainted with my first-ever roommate, I had no idea what was en route for me during my first term of college. The classes were stressful and difficult, the costs were expensive and seemingly never-ending, and, most of all, I was completely on my own in a new city in a new state. During my senior year of high school, I did not take a full schedule, nor did I apply for many scholarships. If I could go back in time to guide myself as a high school senior, I would have taken those extra credits and applied for as many scholarships as possible. Adjusting to a new city and a new school takes time, but if I could have given myself advice senior year, I would have recommended spending more time restoring and constructing relationships in my old community to practice building connections in my new community more easily! Now I know that having more preparation for college my senior year could have only helped strengthen my confidence transitioning into my first term of freshmen year!

Alieta

The best thing about Portland State University is the diversity in age and direction of the students. I sailed on JV and Varsity teams and our team would often get called the "motley crew". We would all just laugh and smile at how different our team was from all of the other teams, we had so much variety in age, color, gender and background -- there is so much to learn from the students at PSU.

If I could go back in time and talk to my past self I would remind myself that my skills in life are not directly tied to my degree. I would encourage my younger self to explore my natural talents before subjected myself to a program of study. I would remind my younger self what I already knew then, there is much more time than it appears, be patient, step thoughtfully. I would tell myself to give myself time to heal from my brothers passing and I would beg myself to spend some time with my family. I would look myself in the eye and make sure I understood that nothing will ever get in the way of my creative endevours, but I might not yet have the experience to clearly decipher what technical skills I need to truly flourish as a creative, complicated, and overly ambitious individual. Most importantly, I would remind myself to live minimally because my spirit steps the lightest when tied down to the least material.

The worst thing for me at Portland State was the lack of interest of guidance counselors unless you were a part of certain programs. I started out in business and changed my mind, eventually leading to a triple minor with a major in Liberal Arts -- no guidance counselor wanted to deal with me, instead I was forced to deal with four different guidance counselors, all of which didn't take my study seriously.

Casey

Take general classes freshamn year and experience many different majors. Learn as much as possible about the different fields before picking a major and then stick to it. Too much time and money can be spent on switching majors after you have invested a few years into the program. Always work on a major which directly relates to a career, never study something that is purely interest.

Variety of degree programs and integration into a large city.

Maggie

It collaborates with other colleges nearby and a medical school, so the connections here are great.

I think I should have been more open to looking at larger colleges, because they have a lot more to offer in terms of courses and scheduling than smaller ones. Also I should have looked for more scholarships, it definitely helps. With what I have learned at this point, there are things I wish I had done differently, hindsight bias isn't much fun. But I know that with what I knew then, the college I went to was everything I thought I wanted.

There are many courses available and scheduling is a lot easier than it was at the school I transferred from. Also the location is right in the city, and the public transportation is great. The professors I've had so far are easy to talk to and seem really interested in their respective fields.

It is one of the largest universities in Portland! It is conveniently located in downtown Portland, and it seamlessly blends in to the city. It is easily accessible both by car and by public transportation, and it attracts students of all demographics. In Portland, the school seems to be best known for its physical location as well as the fact that it has an extensive selection of subjects available to study. It offers both Undergraduate and Graduate degrees in a multitude of disciplines.

As a high school senior I was depressed and felt trapped at home. I lacked the energy to imagine life's potential. To ease the college application process, I picked one nontraditional college near my home to apply at. The idea of attending a more "traditional" college seemed frightening; I imagined it would be nothing more than an extension of high school (which had felt overly restrictive and oppressive). I didn't consider the fact that college could have been my ticket to a better city with more opportunities for me. I was accepted to the school of my choice, where I spent a year making bad, unhealthy decisions and getting in to dangerous situations before finally dropping out and making a move to a new city (where I would eventually go back to school and finish my undergraduate degree). I would love to tell my past self to value herself, imagine a better life, and utilize college as a tool to get to the life that she wants. I would let her know that she should apply to multiple schools - and pick schools in cities that intrigued her. Mostly, I would want her to know that life gets better.

This is not the best school for ambitious people who want to take charge of their own educations. While attending as a full-time student, I was also working full-time; however, this was difficult as I had some professors who would schedule additional class activities at times outside of our normal class time. In addition, I had to debate the advising department on a quarterly basis for permission to take an above average number of courses per term. Most of my classmates did not work and were taking smaller courseloads, and I felt out of place amongst my peers.

Thomas

An education in the heart of the city, for everyone.

An education in the heart of the city, for everyone.

They are a diverse group from varied backgrounds and many views on life.

Hey! You know what? Get off your heinie and do something with yourself! What do you mean who am I? I'm you, but like two years in the future. Yeah. I know, I got really good looking. It's all about those oats and squats. You're not too bad your- wait, hold on. I need to give you advice! Okay, I only have a few seconds here. Let me see what I can - no I have no idea how I got here - well, considering where you are now, take everything seriously, and for serious ask her out to prom. She's totally into you. What else, what else... Start running? Join clubs, in the first year! I know, but they're only lame in their introductions! Also study! Like seriously study! When they say study an hour for each hour of class they really mean it! Also take time for yourself, but don't make all the time for yourself! Only a few words left, so invest in Bitcoin and bail out in like 2013 you'll thank me later. Also the Seahawks are going to win next year. Yeah, I know right?

Katrina

Downtown location, near so many great resources.

Downtown location, near so many great resources.

I would tell myself a few things. One, to finish the courses you start. Dropping classes mid term repeatedly, just because it's hard or you think you might change majors, doesn't look good on transcripts , can hurt your GPA, and wastes money. Talk to an advisor about any questions on majors, and most colleges have free tutors available in all subjects; asking for help is never a bad thing. The next thing would be to keep an eye on finances. With scholarships and loans it can be easy to see "money growing on trees". It doesn't, so make sure you're not spending more than you bring in. The last thing I would want my younger self to know is that the college experience is just that, an experience. Yes, grades are important, but if you only spend your time alone and studying you miss out on a lot of great opportunities and the chance to make new friends. By participating in student activities and/or groups you will enjoy a much more well rounded life during your college years.

Housing options are a little expensive close to campus.

Shannon

It is very different compared to most because it is located in the center of the city of Portland. The campus is unique in that it is very spread out around the city, so you can find yourself having class a housing building or a the second floor of a bank. The nice thing is, there is always something to do somewhere nearby and school events are not uncommon.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.