Portland, OR
Portland State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Portland State University

Additional Loan Options

rachael

Rachael, in high school teachers would gladly cut you slack if you were late, turned in assignments late, failed a test, or did not answer questions. In college you are expected and graded on letting proffessors know you have a voice. Dont be afraid to get help and speak up college is about expressing ideas. Also dont slack off be the very best you can be even if life is beating you down college is a long process for the future and is about patience.

The worst thing about my school is that there is a lack of community. I feel like im still in high school except we are not forced to talk therefore its hard to make new friends.

Someone who is interested in meeting new people who are exactly like themselves

Evan

I think the biggest piece of advice I would give myself is that I would not bite off more than I can chew. I would tell my high school self to take as many opportunities as possible, but not to sacrifice your grades or your energy on things that don't matter. The things that are most important in college is to make an opportunity or opportunities for yourself and not to let people get in the way of your dreams. It's import, high school senior version of me, to realize that some opportunities will only happen once. Those opportunities, you must take without a second glance. The other opportunities that you make will be great, but the once-in-a-lifetime ones are the ones that are most important to take. Make sure you balance your time correctly and don't fiddle fart around. Focus on what matters: grades, extra curriculars and your major.

I think the best thing about the school is the fact that no matter what the class is, there is some professor that is engaging. Some teachers usually know what there talking about and the people that do are very engaging and want to see you succeed. I think that the sassier the teacher is and the one that is willing to connect with me on a deeper level is a teacher that I want to work with and do well in their class because of.

I think the perosn that should attend this school are the liberally-inclined. This school is very accepting of people who are any sexual orientation or any race and the school is very accepting of people who are more artistically inclined as well. They pride themselves on having a pretty big focus in the arts and that's really exciting to see.

Casy

Liberal and very progressive.

Liberal and very progressive.

Try harder. Take more math and science. You might not think you'll use it in life, but you will. Also, pay attention in English class. Everyone needs to learn how to write; for business, science, history, everything. People will take you seriously if you write well, despite being young. Even if you don't know what you want from life, try your hardest and choose a major that elicits passion. College doesn't have to lead to a career, but it should lead to a happy life. This comes from staying involved in things that matter; coursework, clubs, etc.

They focus on creating well-rounded students in a number of fields. If a student studies Engineering, they must take English courses, and if a student studies English, they must take a science/math course.

Mason

Hey there buddy, I know stuff is messed up right now with the war and everything but be good to Christina. She deserves the best. Also, you should study for those SATs a little harder. You are much smarter than you give yourself credit for. There are going to be some tough times ahead. You are going to be diagnosed with a life changing disability in a couple of years so enjoy your body while it's still unencumbered. This is very important: trust your intuition but don't stop challenging yourself. You won't know what you want to do with your life for quite a few years and will try just about everything. That's okay. Go for it. Remember how much you loved Biology? Well it turns out that doctors (including a kind of doctor called a naturopath; right up your alley) major in biology. I really think you'd enjoy it. Also, organic chemistry is much more fun than it sounds. It's just a bunch of puzzles! Don't stop being active. You love soccer and cycling. Don't forget that! Okay Mase, have fun. I'll see you in a few years. Mason

jocelyn

My school is the heart of downtown Portland that is ideal for liberals and poets, law men and dancers, advocates and explorers because we bring the world in together for a melting pot of diversity and experience.

I know you don't feel really confident right now about scholarships, college applications, and job searches, but in a year you will open your eyes to see just how amazing the world is once you take a moment to breathe. At first it may seem scary to move from your home into a dorm with complete strangers, but it wont be as bad. Try to talk to people when you're checking the mail or riding the elevator. If you're just chilling in your room, leave the door open to let fellow residents come in to introduce themselves. Do the same if you find a door open ony our way to your room. Just remember to knock and say hello first! I know it's hard for you to sometimes start a conversation, but here's an easy trick to break the ice. Decorate your half of the door with images that represent your likes and passions. That way people with similar interests can find you. Of course, don't give them everything! It would also be a great bonding moment if you invite your roommate to do it too. Don't forget to be yourself.

The worst thing about my school is that lately everyone has been worried about the rights of our teachers. Their union and the administration have been going through a contract debate. If things don't go fairly, our teachers will strike and risk Spring term due to the unreaosnable working conditions. We have been having several rallies to pull in staff and student support. The students are ready to back up the teachers, even if it means pausing our degree process. We love our teachers, they have our backs and we have theirs.

Zachary

My classmates are determined, inquisitive people trying to better themselves and their communities through the pursuit of useful knowledge and skills.

With the knowledge I have now, and a hypothetical time machine, I would encourage my younger self to pursue something he truly enjoys. Our talk would hopefully give my high school self a sense that college is about self discovery and the pursuit of happiness. Casting away expectations from high school would also be an important part of my lecture, because college is not nearly as straightfoward. Do not blindly work away at something you are not sure of. First you must seek your passion with an open mind, and work at it withh all you've got once you find it.

The bes thing about my school is accessability; the downtown location and open campus allow for greater discovery and exploration.

Steven

Honestly, my school is really only known for being in downtown Portland. There are no remarkable sports or extracurricular achievements I am aware of. They do have a very popular pre-med program.

Take it seriously. I actually first started attending college while still in high school, and I didn't take it very seriously. I would tell myself that I am a smart, quick learner. I am an excellent student and need only to attend class to be successful, so I should always attend class.

Extrememely large class sizes make it very difficult to get any individualized instruction. Most of the lecture classes are just general overviews of the text. Nothing is learned that can't be learned simply by reading the book.

alvaro

Growing up I was sheltered and didn't have many friends; most of the people I would talk to were my cousins. My parents had a strong belief in keeping the family together because at the end only they will help you. I always wanted to be like my classmates but because of my economic situation I wasn't privileged in being like them, they would talk about their trips to their grandmothers, going to the beach, or going to Disneyland. In high school I kept to myself and didn't talk to anyone because I felt I couldn't relate. If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell him to make friends I've always wanted a best friend that wasn't part of my family, even though I'm not in high school anymore I still plan on using this advice to help gain a best friend for life. Friends are an extension of a family; even if they are not blood related they still help mold you into a better person. Everyone needs a best friend even the kid that says he doesn't need one.

You advisors can leave or quit their job without a notice

Some who isn't focused or is unsure of their career choice

Shane

They want us to not only succeed in the classroom but also when we get out into the real world. Our professors set us up to not only learn the materials but actually be able to apply them to everyday things. While being an athlete our coaches care first about our grades and then second on how we preform on the field.

I would say always be prepared to learn and adapt. Not everyone will have the same views as you or even believe in the same things that you do. You have to be tolerant to what others think and what they do. Also be patient and not to give up on hw and to not take as long to get the homework to actaully start it.

How really nice of an environment it would be. also there are not a lot of options for food on campus after a certain time at night. There is also not a lot of healthy options anymore to eat. The food could always be better but it is a college caferteria. Also how some dorms maybe crammed more than others.

Portland State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.