Portland State University Top Questions

Desiree'

I would tell myself to relax and be myself, and to put what I want first. It's important to follow what you want in life, because you can find what you need anywhere, but truly finding a place where you want to be and are happy is much harder. Also, being stressed about the future is pointless, because it's going to happen however it happens anyway, and there is only so much you can do to be prepared for it. But what you can do, what you can control, is yourself, your feelings, and your actions. Making sure that you take of yourself is number one. Making sure you are satisfied with where you are and where you are going is most important, and doing the work to get there is neccessary. So don't stress, get it done, get it done well, and thrive.

Hannah

Don't stress yourself out so much. Seriously. School will be challenging but you're gonna master it. You might be lonely at first but take time making friends, the loyal ones will show themselves. It's okay to tell your parents to stop calling you every single week, they won't get used to you being away as fast as you will. Don't get hung up in any drama. You are here for you, to focus on you, and beimg distracted with other people's business will get exhausting. Take care of your mind and body and your mind and body will take care of you. Take full advantage of the things your university has to offer you, they will come in handy. And no matter what, you keep doing you. At the end of the day, there's gonna someone who critizies you, so might as well do what you want.

Miranda

The main advice that I would give myself is that this is my life. I have a numbered amount of breaths and days. My highschool self needs to understand that maintaining your personal health is one of the most important aspects to success. This includes mental and emotional health. Look into student health center and see what programs they offer. For academics, look into the availible programs there, interact with your proffessors, talk to the dean if you are struggling. Realize that everyone you meet in college is fighting their own battless, just life you. At times the transition will get stressful, utiliize the resources that your school has, if they have little to offer contact a resource center. When figuring out finances, read the fine print and ask older people for help. Most importantly realize that everyone makes mistakes when transitioning from highschool to college, you are not expected to know everything. When you do mess up give yourself a break, relax, reorganize your thoughts, then focus on the problem at hand. Love yourself and sorround yourself with people that also love you. Don't be afraid to get rid of situations that harm you, it is your life.

Adreanna

I would tell myself to make sure I study a field im really passionate about, because your education is the beginning to the rest of your life. I would tell myself how needed a college education is and that procrastination isn't always a bad thing. I would tell myself to get involved in the Universities social activities as much as possible and make college fun but not at the price of your education.

Ariana

Dear Future Self, University gives youthe chance to enhance and open YOUR mind to the abstract world arund you, so take advantage of it. Set yourself goals of where you want to be in the future, career wise and education wise; know that college is your stepping stone to achieving those goals. Stay focused, stay dedicated, work hard and most importantly stay committed. No one can help you, but YOU. You make your opportunities and only you can pave your way to success. Don't stress over the little or big things, instead cultivate that stress positively and put that cultivated energy towards your work. Prioritizing your work is key to staying balanced and giving yourself the flexibility of a healthy social life. Find new ways to stay motivated and get into the routine of making the things I've said above a habit (it'll make life in college a bit easier). Lastly remember one thing, the harder you work now the more you'll get to play later. So stay postive, stay vibrant and stay true to yourself always. Cheers, Future Self

Fiona

Once I had unpacked my belongings into my new dorm room and felt aquainted with my first-ever roommate, I had no idea what was en route for me during my first term of college. The classes were stressful and difficult, the costs were expensive and seemingly never-ending, and, most of all, I was completely on my own in a new city in a new state. During my senior year of high school, I did not take a full schedule, nor did I apply for many scholarships. If I could go back in time to guide myself as a high school senior, I would have taken those extra credits and applied for as many scholarships as possible. Adjusting to a new city and a new school takes time, but if I could have given myself advice senior year, I would have recommended spending more time restoring and constructing relationships in my old community to practice building connections in my new community more easily! Now I know that having more preparation for college my senior year could have only helped strengthen my confidence transitioning into my first term of freshmen year!

Alieta

If I could go back in time and talk to my past self I would remind myself that my skills in life are not directly tied to my degree. I would encourage my younger self to explore my natural talents before subjected myself to a program of study. I would remind my younger self what I already knew then, there is much more time than it appears, be patient, step thoughtfully. I would tell myself to give myself time to heal from my brothers passing and I would beg myself to spend some time with my family. I would look myself in the eye and make sure I understood that nothing will ever get in the way of my creative endevours, but I might not yet have the experience to clearly decipher what technical skills I need to truly flourish as a creative, complicated, and overly ambitious individual. Most importantly, I would remind myself to live minimally because my spirit steps the lightest when tied down to the least material.

Casey

Take general classes freshamn year and experience many different majors. Learn as much as possible about the different fields before picking a major and then stick to it. Too much time and money can be spent on switching majors after you have invested a few years into the program. Always work on a major which directly relates to a career, never study something that is purely interest.

Maggie

I think I should have been more open to looking at larger colleges, because they have a lot more to offer in terms of courses and scheduling than smaller ones. Also I should have looked for more scholarships, it definitely helps. With what I have learned at this point, there are things I wish I had done differently, hindsight bias isn't much fun. But I know that with what I knew then, the college I went to was everything I thought I wanted.

As a high school senior I was depressed and felt trapped at home. I lacked the energy to imagine life's potential. To ease the college application process, I picked one nontraditional college near my home to apply at. The idea of attending a more "traditional" college seemed frightening; I imagined it would be nothing more than an extension of high school (which had felt overly restrictive and oppressive). I didn't consider the fact that college could have been my ticket to a better city with more opportunities for me. I was accepted to the school of my choice, where I spent a year making bad, unhealthy decisions and getting in to dangerous situations before finally dropping out and making a move to a new city (where I would eventually go back to school and finish my undergraduate degree). I would love to tell my past self to value herself, imagine a better life, and utilize college as a tool to get to the life that she wants. I would let her know that she should apply to multiple schools - and pick schools in cities that intrigued her. Mostly, I would want her to know that life gets better.

paul

Do not take out student loans. pick a degree that would have best rot.

Thomas

Hey! You know what? Get off your heinie and do something with yourself! What do you mean who am I? I'm you, but like two years in the future. Yeah. I know, I got really good looking. It's all about those oats and squats. You're not too bad your- wait, hold on. I need to give you advice! Okay, I only have a few seconds here. Let me see what I can - no I have no idea how I got here - well, considering where you are now, take everything seriously, and for serious ask her out to prom. She's totally into you. What else, what else... Start running? Join clubs, in the first year! I know, but they're only lame in their introductions! Also study! Like seriously study! When they say study an hour for each hour of class they really mean it! Also take time for yourself, but don't make all the time for yourself! Only a few words left, so invest in Bitcoin and bail out in like 2013 you'll thank me later. Also the Seahawks are going to win next year. Yeah, I know right?

Katrina

I would tell myself a few things. One, to finish the courses you start. Dropping classes mid term repeatedly, just because it's hard or you think you might change majors, doesn't look good on transcripts , can hurt your GPA, and wastes money. Talk to an advisor about any questions on majors, and most colleges have free tutors available in all subjects; asking for help is never a bad thing. The next thing would be to keep an eye on finances. With scholarships and loans it can be easy to see "money growing on trees". It doesn't, so make sure you're not spending more than you bring in. The last thing I would want my younger self to know is that the college experience is just that, an experience. Yes, grades are important, but if you only spend your time alone and studying you miss out on a lot of great opportunities and the chance to make new friends. By participating in student activities and/or groups you will enjoy a much more well rounded life during your college years.

Shannon

Since the thing I struggled with most as a senior was deciding what my career path in college would be, I would encourage my past self to think about going into pharmacy, since that is what I ended up choosing. I would tell myself to look into what graduate programs expect and to get started on pre-requisites early. I did two years at a community college, but looking back there are classes that I have to take now at the university that I could have taken at the community college at a much cheaper price. I would also encourage my past self to look into volunteer opportunities and to think about joining some clubs and doing more extracurriculars in my first year of college. I would put the most emphasis on telling myself to start looking in to scholarships early though. I could have avoided the debt that I have been building up had I started applying earlier.

Nathan

Over ten years ago I left high school as a sophmore, with no diploma and no support from family or counselors. I don't blame anyone other than myself for how high school ended for me. It took ten years for me to get my life back together after that, and find the courage and discipline to return to school, and I have often thought about what I would do differently if I could go back in time, or what advice I would give my past self. If I could go back to mentor myself as a high school student, I don't know what I would tell myself. I don't have any stark words of wisdom, or warnings to give myself. What I do know is that my high school self would have a lot to say, and I would lend an ear. Some times, when life is rough, we don't need someone's advice on how to make it better; knowing that your problems are worth hearing, and that you aren't alone can make all the difference in the world, especially to a struggling high school student.

Seleny

Stop procrastinating, it's a really bad habit. Make an appointment with your counselor and ask all those questions you've been dying to ask. Stop following the crowd, don't be afraid to be yourself. And that boy you're so worried about isn't going to be there in the next two years. Truth is, everything that seems important now won't be when you're in college. Shift your focus and change your perspective. School is more than an obligation, it's a privilege. It is the steering wheel to your dream destination so treasure it. College is different, it's hard. You will spend many hours in the library actually reading the material. You will have to move out of your comfort zone and start meeting new people. You will have to prioritize, be punctual, and be well informed. You have to want to be there in order to excel. Don't give up. You are going to face many challenges in your educational career but I promise you that it will all be worth it. You will gain so much more knowledge, experience, and new insights. Your life will never be the same.

Aimee

The most important thing you can remember is to make college an adventure, you're not in high school anymore so take advantage of being independent. The first few weeks of college can be the most difficult as far as finding a social sphere. Don't worry about it! The best thing you can do is keep your dorm room door open, introduce yourself to your neighbours, and go to the club fairs in the park blocks. Plus, as soon as classes start you will find your niche because you will be with very outgoing people who are interested in the same things you are! On the same note, network as much as possible. Exchange phone numbers, friend people on Facebook, arrange study groups, etc. all of which will help you find friends and access help for homework questions. Because PSU is on the quarter system exams come up fast. Therefore, always be reviewing the material you are learning and make good use of the library for study groups and tutors. The last thing you should do is take advantage of the recreation center and the outdoor program. Both places have great opportunities available to meet people and stay active.

Leslie

Don't take anything for granted. Hard work is mandatory to succeed. Stay focused, but don't let yourself become alienated. And, above everything else: Its ok if you don't get through life in the same way as everyone else. There are no rules saying "when" you have to go to college - just keep on track and don't allow yourself to feel less than others . You will go to gcollege when it is right for you!

Dear High School Self- Find something you're passionate about and beleive in yourself enough that you can accomplish it. School is hard work, so make sure you ask your teachers and your peers for advice. The answers are not always ight in front of you. Don't be shy and dont be afraid to voice your own opinion. Chances are the majority of the room will agree with you. Even if they dont, you are thoughtful and respectful enough in your answers that you will most likely give them something new to think about. Take classes both in and out of your comfort zone and give them everything you got. Dont give up. Even when you really, really want to. Keep your head up and be nothing less than successful.

I would tell myself to get as involved with campus activities as possible--clubs, student unions, volunteer causes in the city--so I could leave university not only having graduated with admirable grades but also having grown individually. Looking back on my time in school, my biggest regret is that I never was able to prioritize that part of my education. Between working full time, coaching a sports team at a high school in my area, and studying (often at more than full time status), I thought that it was not necessary to add one more task to the mountain of things I did each week. But from my vantage point now, with the benefit of hindsight being 20/20, I know that I would have relished the opportunities to contribute to something I had passion for and to have really achieved something within my city's community by the end of my undergraduate career.

rachael

Rachael, in high school teachers would gladly cut you slack if you were late, turned in assignments late, failed a test, or did not answer questions. In college you are expected and graded on letting proffessors know you have a voice. Dont be afraid to get help and speak up college is about expressing ideas. Also dont slack off be the very best you can be even if life is beating you down college is a long process for the future and is about patience.

Evan

I think the biggest piece of advice I would give myself is that I would not bite off more than I can chew. I would tell my high school self to take as many opportunities as possible, but not to sacrifice your grades or your energy on things that don't matter. The things that are most important in college is to make an opportunity or opportunities for yourself and not to let people get in the way of your dreams. It's import, high school senior version of me, to realize that some opportunities will only happen once. Those opportunities, you must take without a second glance. The other opportunities that you make will be great, but the once-in-a-lifetime ones are the ones that are most important to take. Make sure you balance your time correctly and don't fiddle fart around. Focus on what matters: grades, extra curriculars and your major.

Casy

Try harder. Take more math and science. You might not think you'll use it in life, but you will. Also, pay attention in English class. Everyone needs to learn how to write; for business, science, history, everything. People will take you seriously if you write well, despite being young. Even if you don't know what you want from life, try your hardest and choose a major that elicits passion. College doesn't have to lead to a career, but it should lead to a happy life. This comes from staying involved in things that matter; coursework, clubs, etc.

Mason

Hey there buddy, I know stuff is messed up right now with the war and everything but be good to Christina. She deserves the best. Also, you should study for those SATs a little harder. You are much smarter than you give yourself credit for. There are going to be some tough times ahead. You are going to be diagnosed with a life changing disability in a couple of years so enjoy your body while it's still unencumbered. This is very important: trust your intuition but don't stop challenging yourself. You won't know what you want to do with your life for quite a few years and will try just about everything. That's okay. Go for it. Remember how much you loved Biology? Well it turns out that doctors (including a kind of doctor called a naturopath; right up your alley) major in biology. I really think you'd enjoy it. Also, organic chemistry is much more fun than it sounds. It's just a bunch of puzzles! Don't stop being active. You love soccer and cycling. Don't forget that! Okay Mase, have fun. I'll see you in a few years. Mason

jocelyn

I know you don't feel really confident right now about scholarships, college applications, and job searches, but in a year you will open your eyes to see just how amazing the world is once you take a moment to breathe. At first it may seem scary to move from your home into a dorm with complete strangers, but it wont be as bad. Try to talk to people when you're checking the mail or riding the elevator. If you're just chilling in your room, leave the door open to let fellow residents come in to introduce themselves. Do the same if you find a door open ony our way to your room. Just remember to knock and say hello first! I know it's hard for you to sometimes start a conversation, but here's an easy trick to break the ice. Decorate your half of the door with images that represent your likes and passions. That way people with similar interests can find you. Of course, don't give them everything! It would also be a great bonding moment if you invite your roommate to do it too. Don't forget to be yourself.

Adam

Never put off what should be done now. Always do the character reading/ homework and the most important thing is you work to live never live to work.

Zachary

With the knowledge I have now, and a hypothetical time machine, I would encourage my younger self to pursue something he truly enjoys. Our talk would hopefully give my high school self a sense that college is about self discovery and the pursuit of happiness. Casting away expectations from high school would also be an important part of my lecture, because college is not nearly as straightfoward. Do not blindly work away at something you are not sure of. First you must seek your passion with an open mind, and work at it withh all you've got once you find it.

Steven

Take it seriously. I actually first started attending college while still in high school, and I didn't take it very seriously. I would tell myself that I am a smart, quick learner. I am an excellent student and need only to attend class to be successful, so I should always attend class.

alvaro

Growing up I was sheltered and didn't have many friends; most of the people I would talk to were my cousins. My parents had a strong belief in keeping the family together because at the end only they will help you. I always wanted to be like my classmates but because of my economic situation I wasn't privileged in being like them, they would talk about their trips to their grandmothers, going to the beach, or going to Disneyland. In high school I kept to myself and didn't talk to anyone because I felt I couldn't relate. If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell him to make friends I've always wanted a best friend that wasn't part of my family, even though I'm not in high school anymore I still plan on using this advice to help gain a best friend for life. Friends are an extension of a family; even if they are not blood related they still help mold you into a better person. Everyone needs a best friend even the kid that says he doesn't need one.

Shane

I would say always be prepared to learn and adapt. Not everyone will have the same views as you or even believe in the same things that you do. You have to be tolerant to what others think and what they do. Also be patient and not to give up on hw and to not take as long to get the homework to actaully start it.

Christina

I would tell myself how crazy I was for not going. How I should of listen to my gut. The next time I get a gut feeling just go for it. This is one life exprance that won't be taken away from me. It's so wonderful that there are so many people out there that want to see your dreams come true. Don't let no one stand in your way when it come to you to do better and get off of the gov promgrams. It's great that they have them but when you know you could have more than you get now why not go for it. I have a two year old son and I want to show him that if you think that you should do something better then to live off the gov then you should go out and do something about it. Thank you, Christina J. Zornes

If I could have a conversation with myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to avoid settling. As a high school senior, and even well before that, I had already decided on what I wanted to do professionally after undergrad. I was settled on a major and a track to become a dentist. I had thought that by knowing ahead of time, that I was making the best decision. On the contrary, by settling in so fast, I did not give myself a chance to do what you are supposed to do in college: explore. I wish I had known before going to school that I did not have to be certain about anything. Although by settling, I was held back from many choices, I did not let it hold me down permanently. I have still changed my major twice and have even considered changing it a third time. I wish more students coming to college believe that it is okay to be unsure about making choices and that they do not have to be made right away. The first years of college are flexible students should be allowed growth and opportunities.

Brooke

I would tell myself to continue working hard and aim for the highest goals. There is no limit to personal achievement. I would tell myself to keep up on study skills and also communication and networking skills. Organization and balance are very key. The work you put into high school DOES count. If you prepare yourself, college really is not as hard as they say. Never take for granted the opportunities you are given. Cease them all and do not be afraid to be involved. Most of all, be your own person. Have faith in yourself seek to inspire others.

Kellie

First off, Kellie, get over that guy you dated for like 2 weeks the last month of high school. He's just going to drag you along and he's way too immature for you. You deserve someone who respects you as an equal. Second off, do some solid career research- stop moping around the house, maybe volunteer before you head off to college. You'll thank me a million times over in the long run. Begin networking with organizations now, and you'll find a job faster later on when the job market takes a nosedive. Finally, look for scholarships if you still decide that you think it's a smart idea to still go straight to state university instead of starting at a community college. You're going to be in about $20,000 in debt if not more by the time you graduate from there. Think things through a little bit, think about how your actions today will affect your future tomorrow. If you do that, you'll feel a little less lost than you do jumping right into things.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice for the transition to college, I would tell myself to relax and keep my priorities straight. I felt a lot of pressure left-over from what I'd heard in high-school about classes, professors, etc... but, in the end, the best practice is to relax and take it all in stride. I'd tell myself to keep the big picture in mind, but to focus on one term at a time. I would tell myself that it's okay to make mistakes, because professors are actually pretty forgiving, and as a young adult, that's what happens. I'd encourage myself not to live with my parents despite the money I saved, because I'd have met more friends and had a more fulfilling experience. I would remind myself that debt will be there no matter what, these days, so do it all. I'd definitely tell myself to study abroad for a full year, instead of six months, because that was the best experience I had during college. I would tell myself that you only get out what you put in, so work hard and have fun.

Edith

I'm a very smart girl I would have paid a lot more attention in class then what I was.I never stop beliveing in myself. The wrong turns Imay have taken in high school I won't make the same mistakes. I will work a lot harder putting in a lot of hours to accomplish my goals.

Angela

Although I did not complete High School, but my GED instead, I would tell myself several things about what to expect. First, that just because something is difficult, doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile. Second, to get a head-start on everything you are assigned, especially at University level. I would also encourage my younger self to try and begin college a bit sooner than I did. The most important thing I would talk to my younger self about, is to keep moving forward and not to let fear of failure stop myself from trying new things or being afraid of taking a risk. I would tell myself that although I sometimes had a very, very hard time with certain courses, I have become a more confident, well-rounded person because of it.

Halley

This is wonderful time to be independent, social, and find yourself as an adult, but school really does need to come first. It's OK to say, "sorry, I can't hang out right now, I have to study," because there will always be an occasion to hang out, and you won't have to study all of the time. Use the available resources. Make an appointment with a counselor and plan which courses to take with your end goal in mind (not just what courses sound interesting). Ask what you think are stupid questions--ask any/all questions--because unfortunately the administration isn't always forthcoming with helpful information--do this with the financial aid dept., etc., as well. Go to your professors' office hours, even if it's just to review a lecture or shoot the breeze, so that they know who you are. They want you to succeed and that connection can really pay off--think letters of recomendation, job opportunities. Learn to budget your money and schedule your time! And last but not least have fun, go dancing, get your heart broken, because you really won't be young and pretty forever.

Caitlin

Going back, I would tell myself to look harder for scholarhsip oppertunities. I should have applied to far more than I did originally, so I would not be scrambling now to come up with funds. I'd also advise myself that my major, video production, exists and to do all I can to pursue it. That people will be willing to help me each step of the way, and that while it will be difficult at times (particularly my freshman year) It will soon become extremely rewarding. I'd also suggest getting a vacumn cleaner that first year. Frankly, we really needed it.

Tabitha

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell myself to strive for A's every time and not to push off doing something tomorrow what could be done today. I would also encourage getting involved in a student group as soon as possible and start creating connections with professors and other students. I would also encourage myself to complete my associates at a community college in the least amount of time as possible to avoid the need for student loans. Most of all, I would tell myself to enjoy the time in college through continued learning in classes and through lasting friendships.

Oscar

The main advice i would give to my high school self... save up money. College is much more expensive than i though it was going to be. I would start saving up money since my freshman year in high school. i would also tell myself to apply to at least five scholarships per week to help pay for college.

Mary

Dear Mary, Right now you need to focus on three things: getting scholarships -- ANY that you think you can get, working dilligently on your homework and turning it in on time, and spending as much quality time with our family as possible. Friends are important, yeah, but they'll be around forever. School is important and you need to be the best student you can be to get all the scholarships you need. If you wanna fulfill your dreams, you have to work hard to make them happen. Oh, and no matter how your circumstances change or if your life turns out a little different than you thought it would, it's ok. God's got it all in control, you're going to be fine. Life is great, don't ever forget that.

Lindsey

I often say that regret is a useless emotion because it neither changes what has already happened nor acknowledges the learning that takes place when we make mistakes or endure struggles. So, for the most part, my answer to this question is that I would not want to go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior because it may have altered important choices I made--choices that shaped the person I am today (a person I generally like!). However, in the spirit of the hypothetical and the positive intent of this question, there are a couple things I could tell myself as a high school senior preparing for college. Firstly, I would say to pursue more extracurricular interests and communities as an undergraduate, not just to bolster my resume or future opportunities, but also to cultivate meaningful social networks with other students. I would also encourage myself to be confident in my talents and abilities and to not underestimate my own worth. I think hearing these tidbits of advice might have enabled me to pursue even more meaningful opportunities and relationships than I did, adding to an even richer college experience!

Roman

First off, don't stress! College is not necessarily a time of academic hardship if focused on schoolwork assigned. The professors on campuses greatly desire their students to do well in learning the subject in which they teach. Therefore, they are willing to meet with you during their office hours if you are struggling with understanding the subject being taught. Secondly, don't play too much :). Realizing the freedom you have when living on campus can distract from getting homework done. Procrastination is certainly what causes the feeling of stress to rage within you. Overall, as long as you keep a SIMPLE calendar, which helps with managing stress and your workload, college is not really too scary!

Tiffany

If I couId go back in time I would tell myself to be open to asking for and recieving help. I have always been "independent", or what some people might call stubborn. I was raised to take care of myself, and so the idea of asking for help has been a hard one for me. I am just now understanding that asking for help is not an indicator of any failings on my part. Rather, it is a smart move to maximize my options, without the headache of trying to do it all myself. This paradigm shift applies to all aspects of my life, from personal relationships, to work, to school. Specifically regarding school, I have been resistent in the past to talking to academic advisors or getting help from tutors. I always manage to get good grades, so it has been a slow process to understand that maybe getting those grades doesn't have to be the lonely struggle it has been at times. Perhaps I could have enough humility to ask for help.

Daniel

If I could go back in time to a younger me in high school, I would definitely tell me to pay more attention in those classes that didn’t interest me. Classes like science, history, and literature just did not grab my attention and now, going into college, I am paying for it. I would tell myself to start planning for the future much sooner than I did. Wasting free time by playing does not help as someone gets older. Establishing good habits would be another tidbit I would impart to my younger self. Being in college forces you to see everything in a different light, and having bad habits, like wasting time, do not help at all. These are the things I would counsel myself to do when I was younger.

Kate

Search for as many scholarships as possible! Caluclate how much school will literally cost and weigh your options carefully. Apply to several schools, even if they are private or out-of-state and you are concerned they cost too much. There are scholarships to help you attend your dream university! Also, start early! There are early award scholarships and the earlier you apply the better. Don't put off researching schools or visiting. Even if you're not interested in a school, it's okay to visit so that you can get a better idea for what universities can offer. As for the social transition to college, get excited and get involved as soon as possible! Attend university events and learn about what clubs or student groups you would like to be in. Be in the moment; don't let yourself get caught up worrying about school work. Be yourself and never stop making new friends.

sharayaha

The best advice I could give myself or any other student is to take two years off!! Get a job, go backpacking across Europe, serve your country, but don't go straight to college!! I wasted my first year and a half at community college simply because I was not prepared for that kind of learning environment. It took me quite a few years after high school to have the maturity and self discipline to go to college or university. Changing majors was another small battle; when I first attended college I thought English would be my lot in life, but I realized about 3 years later that music was my passion and I simply couldn't fathom a life without it. When you first leave high school, you may have a small idea of what you would like to do for the rest of your life, but the reality doesn't exactly sink in right away. How many students change their majors two three or four years into their programs? Take some time, get the young hooligan out of you, and hit up college around 20 or 21. Best advice I wished I had heard at 18.

Kennan

Go somewhere that is completley out of your element, you may not be ready or prepared but after you will come out of it with more real world experience. School is school and you may be thinking that its not for you, but there are classes that you can take that are really interesting and the student professor relationship is completley different from the highschool teach student relationship. The professors don't treat students like children they treat you as an adult becaus you obviosuly made it to college so they assume you can manage your own life.

jeff

The first thing I would tell my self, is to listen to your own self, not all the other people around you, make your own deciscions, and most of all, take your time it is not a race to the finish line, no matter who passes you by, or how muich time, it is the quality of education you seek that will pave the way for better and brighter future ahead of you.