Portland State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Portland State University

Gwenivere

So far my third week in it's okay, but because it's online the teachers don't really keep it at a pace I can keep up at. They kind of just go at the speed they want which is quite fast and I get confused because the class has so many smart people I feel too dumb to ask basic questions or ask for them to repeat and reword what they say

Trinity

Portland State University is located in downtown Portland, Oregon. The city life never gets old, if class is over, there is always something going on. There is food, shopping, art/music, gyms, and almost any other entertainment imaginable. Portland is known for its art, especially theater, so those interested in that will have several options. PSU offers a cheeper alternivie to other University in Oregon, with an averave tuition in the $10,000 a year range. The university offers a range of majors, and minors, making it easy for all students to find what they are passionate about. Class sizes are on the larger size, and there are several required classes that students are not fond of. There are several extra curriculars, but students must seek them out themselves. There is a mix of old and new buildings. The best amenity is the campus recreation center with a full gym, including a pool and a rock wall. Housing is expensive, but there is plenty of delicious food located all over portland. Food carts are a great option and usually offer fairly low cost dining options. One of the major complaints about the school is the lack of social life. There is very limited greek life. Most students commute, and thus are not usually hanging around campus. There is a good chunk of those who are only looking to go to class and get a degree, making friends is not on their radir. The school offers classes at all times of day, and online, which makes it easy for students to work around any scheduling they may need.

clay

Overall, Portland State University is a good school. My freshman dorm was spacious and had its own bathroom, and that was the cheaper option! The class sizes vary on teaching style, but I feel like it usually evens out. Professors are understanding and accommodating with clear office hours and resources, which is useful in a college setting.

Shauna

I enjoy being a PSU student. It is affordable, the people are friendly, and there is always a way to get involved and make new friends! The openness of the campus is nice because you get to enjoy oregon during the spring, summer, and fall while still being safe on campus.

Cameran

I am really fortunate that I live in Portland and am able to attend PSU. It is the exact school I wanted to attend for campus life, location, quality of education and resources available to students. Many friends who have attended have given really strong recommendations.

Matt

I absolutely love the campus and community. Definitely a lot of different layers and levels to the student body but certainly a very impressive and homely array. There is no space on campus that does not inspire within me a feeling of belonging and dedication that I admire and Hope other students feel.

Portland State is very innovative and constantly creating new ways to be more eco-friendly. It is different than other schools, because it's in a big city and most students commute to school. Teachers have students best interest in mind, and are willing to help students succeed.

Sequoia

I am very excited to attend PSU in the fall. I can only imagine having a great experience based off what I've heard. I will be anxious to study in the Honors College and live along fellow classmates. I'm also ready to make use of the awesome Student Rec Center!

Valois

Portland State is a great school for someone who likes the outdoors. Its location in downtown Portland offers you a variety of different activities to do such as trying new foods from different cultures at the food carts, to enjoying the scenery at the Portland Waterfront. The student body is diverse and ranges from young 17 year olds who just graduated, to parents returning for another degree. Overall the campus is a great place to be because everyone is friendly, caring, and constantly striving to better each other!

Qudus

Portland State University is an amazing school! Filled with helpful staffs that want you to succeed and become successful. The classes and professors are very well understanding of any circumstances and the environment of the campus is very peaceful but mellow.

Lynette

It is beautiful and clean unlike some areas of the city. Busy like any city and challenging to find but still manageable if you drive so plan to arrive early. The academics, financial aid and staff were generally accurate but a professional in one field is better for specific questions. There weren't many concession stands or places for food in the halls but anyone can buy lunch off-campus, and there was a grocery store for extra necessities. A ton of stairs so take breaks often and bring plenty of water. It was cold so bring a heavy coat for the time you attend. Also, plenty of attractions to visit within a 5 block radius. The atmosphere was vibrant and artistic so don't be afraid to interact with strangers.

Andrea

Definitely the best choice I made, there is so much opportunity here. The instructors here are always there and always helpful. Apart from the beautiful campus located in downtown Portland, the people, and surrounding area offers a lot of activities, especially outdoors!

Stella

PSU is a unique atmosphere for eager and inquisitive minds. The urban campus allows for many opportunities and resources to enrich your academic experience. Public transportation is easy and accessible. Museums, galleries, and concert halls are within walking distance. The locals' favorite food trucks and other delicious eat and drink options are plentiful. But, perhaps, the best part of the campus are the towering trees and green park blocks spread throughout and a breathtaking view of Mt. Hood in the distance. All of these factors only add to PSU's dynamic academic environment. PSU's location also enhances student engagement and community involvement. There are plenty of on and off-campus volunteer opportunities, student activity groups, recreational clubs, diversity awareness workshops and events, multi-cultural celebrations, social justice advocacies, etc. There is always something to do to challenge the brain, energize the body, and inspire the spirit. PSU is more than just a university, it's a place and space for both individual and group growth and success.

Victoria

I loved Portland State while I attended. The class sizes were large enough to have plenty of opinions during discussions, but small enough that you could remember most of your classmates' names. PSU is in the middle of downtown Portland and you can walk to all of your classes. My courses were my favorite part as a student and the food pantry always got me through the weekends. Only issue I find in this school is parking and transportation.

Mikhaila

I love living on campus. Portland state is right on the edge of downtown Portland, so it's easy to get anywhere in the city, and there are tons of food places within a five minute walk of my dorm. The buildings are beautiful and the landscape is amazing. I love it here

Stephen

Portland State University provides non stop for their students. They are always seeking new ways to improve education and career possibilities. They have given intern opportunities for those that come from adversity. They put the bar high, but help their students reach it. The staff will help outside of class with resumes, personal goals, assignments etc. Their mission is to provide education to those that would not otherwise have the opportunities. From single working parents to troubled youth, they provide opportunities for everyone to succeed. This provide for better lives for those they serve. They have extra programs, health services, and recreation centers for all students to use. They are all about success of the students. I have recommended this school to many friends because they are a leader in academic excellence.

Marlo

Portland State is a great university because it is there for all the "right" reason you go to college for. Academics are primary and the sports are secondary. As much as I am a sports enthusiast, I love that I don't feel that my school cares more about our athletics than their students education. The street car is my favorite thing about PSU because as a PSU student, you can ride it for FREE and it can take you to or near major Portland areas in just minutes. Yes, PSU isn't a party school but you are paying big bucks to get an education here so being able to focus on your studies without the social pressure is completely fine by me!

Perlita

I am from a small town in Eastern Oregon. I was not used to the city life but I wanted to try something out of my comfort zone in order to grow as a person. I choose Portland State for its diversity, proximity to my hometown, and all the opportunities the university provides. Portland State University is an amazing place to grow and foster your own beliefs. Portland State has given me the ability to venture outside of my comfort zone while also having the support of staff, peers and advisors. Portland State is downtown. Therefore, if you are not comfortable with the noises and culture of the city it is probably not the place for you. Even though Portland State is downtown, it still feels like a community. PSU looks like a huge campus, but once you are accustom to the school it begins to feel smaller. PSU measures up to any other public school in Oregon. What makes it unique is the opportunities and the experience you cannot get anywhere else but in an urban campus.

Morgan

I love PSU for a number of reasons: the location is perfect, the professors are helpful and kind, and the student body is full of people from all walks of life. However, I have had many issues since starting school last year, whether that's trying to get the financial aid department to help me or simply getting a hold of housing. Overall, great atmosphere but don't expect anyone to help you out unless you blatantly beg for it.

David

Overall I like the fact that tuition isn't as high like other Oregon colleges and is one of the reasons why I chose Portland State University. I also love the fact that it has a community of colored people and everyone's culture is appreciated. There is support for those races that are often underrepresented on colleges.

Tiffany Amber

Portland State is located in the <3 of Downtown, the most convenient, unique and fun place to be if you're looking for a college experience that's near the city, restaurants, parks, concerts, hikes, and best of all free events! As a broke college student, it's important to be at a college where there is plenty of opportunity to gathering free food (food pantry & cultural events), getting involved (over 200 clubs), and EMPLOYMENT (on campus & off campus jobs, yes!). The professors are so knowledgeable and up to date, they also invite students to partake in their research; so well rounded in the arts, humanities, and sciences so it's understandable if you have trouble finding a program or major to study. Not too worry, we do have advisors if you're undeclared, and they're there to help prep and advise you for interviews, resumes, and future employment. A city with a lot of character, and a small town feel so no matter where you're coming from, you are able to feel like you're home again!

jon

the culture of portland state is that of progress and learning. the teachers care about the student's minds and lives. i would recommend this university to everyone

Emelin

Its nice

Patricia

It is not bad for the price. I came here since it was one of the most inexpensive universities in the area, and I cannot argue with much. The tuition does, however, keep rising, and student services and privileges are cut with each rise. The atmosphere is too political at times, and there is no really motivation or reason to become involved with the campus life. I like my classes, though, and the professors are generally approachable and helpful.

Yves

This school is really great for those who live on campus and seek opportunities. All the students who I've talked to who live off campus lament how difficult it is to hang out with friends and participate in school events and activities due to their location away from the school. We have a plethora of cultural resources and events happening weekly as well as classes offered by the rec center. Students pay for these through their tuition and rec center fee, but many do not take advantage of them! My advice is to actively look for events going on and GO TO THEM, even if only for food to bring back home. PSU is located in the heart of Portland, so you can get anywhere through cheap public transportation within 45 minutes. Also, there are a TON of things going on in Portland outside of the campus, that students don't pay attention to. Check out the meetups going on, local communities and groups on social media, and local events going on. You can get a lot of free food, network, and learn about something new that you might have never even thought about before, like the proper techniques for foraging or how to basket weave while also addressing the invasive English Ivy ecological problem. Portland has so much to offer, but you must constantly and actively look for and go to events in order to actually reap the benefits.

It's a great commuter school that is good if you're trying to get your education but if you're looking for that all typical college experience where people rally on saturday for the football games or sporting events it's not likely that you'll find that here. I love it though, it's laid back and easy and you feel no pressure to be anybody but yourself!

Angel

I have only been there for two years and as of now, I think its an ok school to offers the degree that I want and is fairly cheap. I can't really give too much of a concrete opinion on the school due to the limited amount of time that I have spent going to school.

Lynn

Many people who live in Portland see PSU as a stepping stone or a cheaper option before leaving for a more popular school like OSU or UO, but this truly is a great place. I like how we have such a diverse student body. When we work at our future jobs, you will most likely work with many different people, so I feel that PSU gives you many opportunities to interact with people who come with different backgrounds. Additionally, PSU's engineering college is usually over shadowed by OSU's, but PSU has a great engineering program! The professors are diverse and really care about the students. I know that minority students from other engineering schools may get discouraged, because the engineering field is dominated by Anglo males, which is why I appreciate how PSU supports their minority students and lets us know that they're available if we need help.

Eden

I think it's a very good fit for students who want an urban campus in Portland, Oregon. There are quite a lot of groups, clubs, and artistic opportunities, and I would encourage students to get involved with activities on campus because you really get out what you put into your experience there.

Portland State University is a very diverse school. It's in the middle of downtown Portland so there are a lot of extra activities you can do when you get over worked. The teachers are great and want to help you learn. Honestly, you just get what you put into it.

Jeira

Portland State University is a college built within the city, therefore it is scattered. This, on the other hand, takes away a stressful environment and can leave one to explore and feel truly "on their own." This is a great experience to obtain as a college student.

Mariam

I enjoy being a student at Portland State University. There are many opportunities to get involved in the school and community and feel very welcomed at this school. The diversity is great and the school and students are very politically aware.

Ileisa

I love it here! But it is a little pricey. Financial aid services are literally no help and are mean. Housing is extremely expensive, but everything else is really nice here. I have found a great home here. Sports are good, classes are good, and everyone here is really nice and open minded.

Meryan

Portland State University is in the center of downtown Portland. If you like traveling and learning new languages and cultures then Portland State University is the best place for you. In addition to the variety activities that help students involve more in the college life.

Anahi

Portland State has a diverse campus with a lot to offer. PSU has great academic programs and staff who are always willing to help and only really want the best for its students. Personally I have experienced on-campus housing and having my class just a short walk away has been great. Getting involved has been a breeze with so many activities happening almost everyday. I'm excited for all that PSU has to offer.

Madeline

Portland State University is a diverse campus in regards to interests, culture, and sexual orientation. The classes I've had the privilege of taking, such as Queer Theory and Writing as Critical Inquiry, are challenging because they encourage you to expand your perspective and adopt alternative thought processes. The campus, lined with trees, is stunning all year round; especially during the fall when the leaves begin to change. I don't think I've seen one gum wrapper or coca cola cup on our sidewalks in the two years I've attended PSU. It doesn't hurt that there's always a good brewery, music venue, or restaurant within walking distance! If you can't walk, don't fret; the public transportation is incredible. The city is bustling with fresh fruit and veggie markets, counterculture hairdos, and all the dogs you could dream of petting. On campus housing is beautiful, however, I've chosen to live in the Northwest because the homes for rent on the west side of the Willamette have an undeniable charm that I'm quite drawn to. If we're not marching in protest and solidarity on the weekends you can usually find us at the Portland Art Museum, any McMenamin's, or hiking the countless trails that Portland has to offer (if the sun decides to make a rare appearance). Overall, PSU provides an academic environment that nurtures intellectual development for all of their students regardless of race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. They provide the true definition of equity in education.

Kim

Overall Portland State University is a great University to attend. I completed most of my degree online while overseas, so I didn't get a feel for campus life. The schools online business degree program was very well done and attainable. The professor were available and encouraging.

Portland State University is widely diverse demographically as well as welcoming and accommodating to all backgrounds. Though you won't get your stereotypical college experience (i.e. parties, sports, greek life) the location in downtown Portland is unbeatable. The campus is simple and beautiful and on campus housing is clean and safe, but a little strict. Academics are great and staff are friendly, available, and helpful. It is definitely worth a visit or tour!

Anna

Location is perhaps the key point of success of Portland State University as a school. It's located in a great urban environment in downtown, heart of Portland, Oregon. It is close to almost near everything making it accessible for students to connect to the community and future employers. Great school with many opportunities for employment!

alexa

It is a nice school but I think that Portland State University is too open for someone students. Also the campus being in downtown campus is a little dangerous at night. Study Abroad Program is amazing here I highly recommend for students to study in Seoul South Korea.

Brittney

Great commuter school, aka professors know you have lives outside of the class and don't treat you as children. With an exception in some of my lower classes, people generally take their education in a good and serious note here. And my professors have been for the most part willing and helpful.

Loya

From communicating with them for over a year and getting accepted to Portland State as my top college, I feel that Portland State University is an amazing college and I honestly can't wait to join and become a Viking. It just seems like such a wonderful campus and I really feel it's the place for me.

Jae Hwa

It is great as a non-traditional student as most students around me are also non-traditional students. PSU is welcoming of all people and supports diversity and inclusion. I was happy to see that they implemented unisex bathrooms all around. My professors in the sciences have been amazing.

Veronika

Portland State University's urban yet welcoming atmosphere allows students to encounter other cultures and beliefs as well as explaining their own. World views are challenged and tested in the classrooms and outside them. It can have a charged or relaxed atmosphere and best of all, most people will be kind and understanding. Portland has its very own culture that students can enjoy including food, drink, the arts and sciences and everything in between.

Srushti

Portland State University is located in the center of Portland which makes it great as far as networking and city opportunities go. All of the teachers I have had experiences with are approachable and willing to help outside office hours. My only complaint is their inclement weather policy which has caused problems for many students in the past.

Kendall

PSU is an amazing school! I came for the nation renown graphic design program, and because the campus is in the heart of downtown Portland, it's easy to get where you want to go and do what you want to do. There's a surplus of public transportation, and activities around the school to do, but also enough resources and studying minds when you have to focus on academics.

Jayson

I love the school. Everyone is so helpful. I'm disabled and they rock to disabled people unlike the Culinary school who shall not be named. Hateful disrespectful buttheads. JWU NORTH MIAMI IS AN EMBARRASSMENT. I was assaulted by their bookstore old guy for parking in his handicap spot after I was told to. He came up and popped me in the nose. I was begged to let it go so he could retire in 3 weeks.

Ludell

It is pretty good so far can't complain. The food that is provided to the students is honestly not the best but there are a handful of places to eat around here. The education is great her and there are so many. The other students here are very nice, only because everyone want to make friends to one another, so if your looking for friends here its really easy. And they set up a lot of great activities so you can have something to do or plan ahead.

Kassandra

Portland State is booming with friendly faces and and exciting activities. Being in the center of the city creates great opportunities academically and socially. The class sizes are moderate, however, the teachers are caring and seek to help students succeed.

Abigail

I absolutely love this school. It is a great place to get an education. This school is located in the perfect place for business professionals. For accountants, the school has so many resources to help students find jobs within their particular major.