Post University

« See more reviews of Post University

College is a highly individualized experience. Parents should begin to assist their children by nurturing and asking them questions about their goals, aspirations, comforts and desires while honestly listening to what they have to say. Parents should encourage their children to strive to achieve those goals, while guiding and supporting them. Every person has different strengths to capitalize upon. A student should work to learn about themselves. What do they enjoy; what are they good at? This process will aid them in their discovery of programs and schools that best match their interests, goals, needs and lifestyle. Although grades are important, college is about learning. A student should focus on learning and absorbing all they can, asking any and all questions. Advisors and staff are more than willing to help students find their way. There are an immense number of schools and programs with options to fit every person's needs including in-classroom, online, study-abroad and day, evening and weekend classes with majors in every imaginable area of study. With such a wealth of opportunities, there is a college and program where every person can recognize their own personal dreams of success.

In September of 2005 I decided to resume my college education after a fifteen year hiatus. I was concerned that either my grades or my earnings would suffer, but the risk was necessary as I was dedicated to earning my degree. In relation to my studies I have been able to use the many practices and experiences of my fifteen year work career to better understand course content and use my dedication of earning a degree as a tool to further not only my profession, but also my studies. In hindsight I properly identified my need of earning a degree to further my career and developed alternative plans to achieve this goal by using the time and resources available wisely. The choice was made to pursue a higher education after carefully reviewing scenarios and talking matters over with other people who have gone through the same process. Once this plan to further my education was implemented I kept a watchful eye on time allocation, resources I would need to properly blend the two forces and minimize consequences on any one aspect, and made sure any responsibilities I had were met and given the proper attention.

College is the most important step you will be able to take out of high school. Moving out is not necessarily what your focus should be as you will have plenty of time to live on your own as life progresses, especially if you find a college program away from home that really peaks your interest. Research is the key to success at finding the career you will actually be interested in pursuing. From what you have seen and assumed in high school about potential careers you have seen so little. There are many careers that are not so widely known, nor so easily considered. Think of what your passions are not just what you think will be a money maker. To be happy and a real positive force in the career you choose you must be passionate about it so you may commit to what you must! College opens more doors to your potential and introduces you to new people and opportunities. The resources are there to help you succeed along the way academically and financially if you only seek them out. The opportunities you are bound to find may be more exciting and easy than you imagine.

First of all, you're not going to be around your normal crowd of friends and this can be nerve wrecking. However, keep in mind that most freshmen students are going through the same thing, and you will make friends with everyone before you know it. Secondly, college is a great investment and you need to save up for tuition, books and required equipment or clothing. Plan ahead, get your Financial Aid completed as soon as possible and search for as many scholarships as you can. Talk to your financial aid planner concerning how you will pay for school. Take time to consider whether or not to live on campus. I suggest living on campus where all the resources you need are right at your finger tips. If you choose to commute you have to calculate the additional money you will be spending on gas and meals. Most important, class times and class work is mcuh different than high school. Classes are spread throughout the day and the work is intense. Give yourself study and homework time in a designated area to complete all of your work, your grades will depend on it!

The first thing I would tell myself is that I shouldn't go to Naugatuck Valley Community College. Naugtuck Valley has a really poor organization and communication system. First of all, the school is a maze. Some of the classrooms aren't labeled which makes it really hard to find what I was looking for. The teachers also teach the material at a fast pace. I have a learning disability and i learn material at a much slower pace. Anytime I asked the teacher to slow down, the teacher would just look at me and say nothing. Then the teacher would once again teach quickly. When I tried to ask for tutoring, none of the tutors would steer me in the right direction, which would still leave me confused. Also, when I try to send emails to any of my professors asking a question or preparing for my next semester, I would not get any answers or if I do get a response, it wouldn't even matter at that point. I would tell myself to just go to Post University right away. It would save me from a lot of stress and my future would be much better.

As a high school senior, I was doubt ridden and incredibly fearful of how my life would turn out after high school. With that in mind, I would counsel myself to stop and look at the economic environment that I'm in. I would counsel myself to do this because when I finally did it as a high school graduate, I found out what my real dream was. You see, I love my hometown, in all of its lack of youth culture, bad economy, homelessness problems, and glorious lack of overall purpose. And I love technology, video games, and all of the things that have traditionally been sidelined by the leadership of my hometown. So when I finally thought about where I wanted to live, and what I wanted to do with my life, I discovered that I wanted to stay in my hometown and improve it. I want to found a video game development company with the brightest minds of backwater city, and make it great. I want Madera, my hometown, to be recognized as my origin. My goal is to honor my family, and my city. And I will do anything to make that possible.

If i could take a step back in life, i would have challenged myself to alot more possibilities including self-motivation.When things got rough in my studies i should have went to somebody of higher learning and got help. Another thing i would have changed or made better,would have been my study habits because thats something that alot of us as students through out school have difficulty with. Some of the advice i would have given myself never be a FOLLWER,but be a LEADER. Something i know a little about all colleges are that, they look at your grades and if your grades coming up aren't good, then how do you expect them to want you as a part of their student body. College life is an experience that your going to carry for the rest of your life but you cant tell yourself what you SHOULD OF,COULD OF,WOULD OF,but DIDN'T do in high school, because its too late to turn back. I WOULD have done alot but the only thing i would have changed was my self-motivation because that hindered me to be smarter than i knew i could be.

I remember when I was in high school, it was a blast. Some days weren?t very happy, but most of my high school experience was filled with great memories. I just wish better advice was given to me. If I could go back to myself in high school I would tell myself to take school work seriously and make more out of the experience. I would have told myself to finish assignments soon as possible and to ask teachers for help a lot more often. I?d mention to study more and to set time aside for studying because it would have helped. The second thing I would tell myself to do is to talk to more people and not get caught up in clich?s or stereotypes. I would lastly tell myself to forgive others, not to judge others, and to give everyone a chance to be my friend. Although I made a few mistakes, my high school experience was so indescribable. I learned so much about myself that I never knew. Reading, writing, and listening are great ways to grow, but learning from our mistakes is what being in high school is all about.

To my senior self, do not wait to pursue higher education. It gets harder the longer you wait. Give deep thought to what you want to achieve in life and do everything you can to make it happen. Stay focused and don't get swayed by those who are not there to futher their education. Do not get mixed up with people who would hold you back, including those who only want to socialize and party. I know it seems like going straight to college is just an extension of school, in which you've already spent 12 years, college is so much more than that. It will open your eyes to all sorts of opportunities and areas you never considered. During your first year or two, focus on the core requirements, but also take courses that will expand your mind and give you more options when it comes to deciding what you want to do with your life. Keep in mind that what you want today may not be what you want in 20 years, so get a well-rounded education. And most of all, keep at it until you get your degree!

Hey Robin, I want to talk with you. I know that you are doubtful that you are college material. You doubt that you could ever go and actually graduate. Like somehow you are not worthy of attending college, furthering yourself. Well you are wrong. College is not threatening at all. Depending on your degree interest, there are so many choices available, and if you are not sure what you want to settle on, you can always go and begin with the basics. Take the classes you will need, then later focus on where you want to be. You absolutely have the ability to attend school and graduate with a degree. It is never too late to go, and you have a little while to make your final career decision. Don't let this opportunity pass you by. Get a jump start on it so that you are not a 38 year old woman trying to get college kick started. Do it now while you have the energy to pull all nighters doing homework. Have a little faith in yourself because I do.