Chicago Heights, IL
Prairie State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Prairie State College

Tiffany

PSC has extraordinary programs for creative and atypical undergraduate seekers, however, the Financial Aid department lacks courtesy.

If I could go back in time I would strongly advise myself not to attend DePaul University. I choose that school for the wrong reasons, such as location and the social scene. I should have focused on the program major and the tuition cost instead. These are essential issues. Most especially if you don't plan on getting a Masters degree anytime soon after graduation. I would say that now I am in debt for school and have only have one job out of several that pertains to my B.A. degree. I would advise myself to listen to others advice regarding schools and degrees, most especially my parents. I didn't during that time. I'd tell myself to seek out professionals in my desired field, medicine, to request job shadowing to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. There is a big difference in knowing abstractly what you want and knowing definitely what you want. I would tell myself to consider a community college's program so that I could immerse myself in the field quicker. Finally, I would strongly suggest joining the military so that I could gain additional funding for school.

I brag and promote the various programs offered at PSC. I also tell them about it's close proximity to other libraries and that the school's administrative hours are great throughout the year. The Administration department is super helpful and the campus is not too big compared to others.

Napoleon

I would tell myself that it is not like high school, it is more independent so be ready to grow up and do things on your own.

Anybody can attend this school and would fit right in perfectly.

Currently I am participating in a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathmatics (S.T.E.M.) Program at Praire State Community College in addition to completing my senior year of high school at Rich Central High School in Olympia Fields, Illinois, so I would go back in time and talk to myself in August of 2013. I would begin by telling myself not to stress over things that I have no control over, as long as I do the best that I can and put in the effort, everything will be fine. I would also remind myself that I am qualified. Meaning, I have great grades, and wonderful relationships with my teachers and advisors, so I should not be putting myself down; instead I should be living up to my full potential.

There are plenty of resources available to students, so as long as a student is self motivated, and have a good attitude they would be an excellent fit at Prairie State Community College. The Professors, and advisors are always willing to lend their time to students who show interest, which creates a wonderful learning environment.

Althought there are many resources and wonderful advisors at Prairie State Community College, students who are not motivated to participate in their own learning would not be a good fit at Prairie State Community College. As a whole, the colleges holds students up to a high standard, so failure to try your best will result in poor grades, and an awful experience.

Prairie State University is a perfect starting point for a college career: attentive to the student and always helpful in providing academic guidance at every opportunity.

"When Showing Up is Not Enough" I'm looking back now on my younger self and wanting to explain to her what it means to build your knowledge. Effort, participation and support are all building blocks to building your knowledge. Every student must go beyond attending class and make an effort to build their critical thinking and take the ideas they are learning and work to apply them to life. Every student should go above and beyond in both their academic and extra curricular participation. And most importantly using the support systems that are available to take you to the next level of knowledge. Asking questions, seeking guidance, and using the help available. The support building block above all the others are the ones I would want my younger self to pay careful attention to. I would want her to know not to be afraid to push herself to do her best.

More than anything I wish I had known the importance of education and that it takes time and effort and a deep desire to learn. These are ideas I wished I had embraced earlier in my academic career.

Mariah

The main advice I would give to my self as a high school senior is to start preparing for college immediately. There are so many things that have to be done before you attend college, especially figuring out where to go to college, what to study, and how you are going to pay for it. College is a lot more responsibility than high school and it takes more focus and concentration. No high school senior should slack off in their last year because it will count against you when college rolls around. Never attempt to procrastinate in getting everything done for college. Give yourself ample time to finish so nothing becomes last minute. College is a huge step foward, so it is best to go in with a clear mind and full motivation.

Sarina

I like that my school is mainly one big building. All of my classes are close togather. and I like that I don't have to be walking outside in the rain or snow to get from one class to another. It makes college not seem so overwhelming.

I would tell myself to take some time off before throwing myself into the college life. I originally went to a 4 year university, and i was completely overwhelmed. Now that i am older, and going to a community college near home, i realized that the university college life was too much for me. I am glad that i had the experience, but i do feel like i could have saved some money if i would have come to these conclusions sooner. I also wish that i would have had my car when i was away at school. i think that may have led to some of my being home-sick. If i was able to go home whenever i wanted, then maybe i wouldnt have felt trapped in a strange town.

The worst thing about my school is that there is only one elevator that the students are allowed to use. I have an injured ankle and i usually have to wait for at least 2 trip of the elevator up and down before I am able to have my turn on it. There is always an abundance of students, seemingly uninjured, taking the elevator to the second and third floors. If my ankle was healed, i would gladly take the stairs.

Arielle

My classmates are full of my peers and I have known them for years.

My classmates are full of my peers and I have known them for years.

Prairie State College is a richly diverse community college dedicated to student-centered instruction that fosters success in adult, transfer, and workforce students.

To take things seriously and stay focused.

Prairie State is close to home and it has a lot of the people I went to high school with, so the support network is extensive and familiar.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college life, I would tell myself to relax. The unknown is scary, and as a senior I was very tense about college. Would people there like me? Would the courseload be too much for me? Now I know that the people at Prairie State are very friendly, and that there is no courseload too great, if your determination is equal to the challenge.

A lot of the kids at Prairie State see it not as a stepping stone to a bigger university, or as a place to get the certification to go out into the working world, but as a dead-end that they're facing because they weren't smart or wealthy enough to go elsewhere. It's incredibly frustrating to have long-reaching plans, only to talk to someone who wants nothing more than to smoke pot in their parents' basement for the rest of their lives.

Dina

I have always LOVED school. Unfortunately I became pregnant in my junior year, but I did graduate with my class nonetheless. Since that time, I have always wanted to go back to school, but I had to work full-time to support my family. As luck or bad luck, if you will, would have it, I was laid off of my job so I took this "opportunity" to return to school and pursue a degree. I am very determined to see this through, but of course, financially it has been quite a struggle.

The people are so nice to me there. I am a returning adult and was very intimidated to be among young students. Everyone has been very helpful and courteous.

Having to reapply for scholarships evey semester.

Damien

My advice to myself would be not to jump the gun and to only go to college when I feel that I'm ready to. I feel that at the age of 17 or 18 (when most people get out of high school) many people lack the maturity to take college life as seriously as they should. I wish I could have just one chance to go back in time to when I graduated and tell myself not to waste my time in pursuing a degree in graphic design. It just wasn't me

The type of people who shouldn't attend the school are people who don't take the schedule or their assignments seriously. Previously I mentioned slacking off on assignments; but I still made sure to do every one of them that I was given, and I turned them in when they were due. In the short amount of time I've been in this school I've seen many people who really didn't take their classes seriously and ended up failing and being denied finacial aid.

The most frustrating thing that I have had to encounter while in college is the long nights of writing essay papers. Especially when you've unintentionally slacked off and waited til the last minute to write a six-page paper in one night.

Prairie State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.