Chicago Heights, IL
Prairie State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Prairie State College

Angelica

It showed a HUGE difference than being in high school! Matter of fact, college life feels more carefree! I don't feel nervous or discouraged when I walk through the doors of PSC. There's protection right there at the door (the police). The staff and administrators are very concerned about the students and you don't feel like you're being left behind.

Cianelle

It's alright. Normal community college, nothing special. Professors and advisors are very helpful

Tiffany

PSC has extraordinary programs for creative and atypical undergraduate seekers, however, the Financial Aid department lacks courtesy.

If I could go back in time I would strongly advise myself not to attend DePaul University. I choose that school for the wrong reasons, such as location and the social scene. I should have focused on the program major and the tuition cost instead. These are essential issues. Most especially if you don't plan on getting a Masters degree anytime soon after graduation. I would say that now I am in debt for school and have only have one job out of several that pertains to my B.A. degree. I would advise myself to listen to others advice regarding schools and degrees, most especially my parents. I didn't during that time. I'd tell myself to seek out professionals in my desired field, medicine, to request job shadowing to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. There is a big difference in knowing abstractly what you want and knowing definitely what you want. I would tell myself to consider a community college's program so that I could immerse myself in the field quicker. Finally, I would strongly suggest joining the military so that I could gain additional funding for school.

I brag and promote the various programs offered at PSC. I also tell them about it's close proximity to other libraries and that the school's administrative hours are great throughout the year. The Administration department is super helpful and the campus is not too big compared to others.

Napoleon

I would tell myself that it is not like high school, it is more independent so be ready to grow up and do things on your own.

Anybody can attend this school and would fit right in perfectly.

Currently I am participating in a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathmatics (S.T.E.M.) Program at Praire State Community College in addition to completing my senior year of high school at Rich Central High School in Olympia Fields, Illinois, so I would go back in time and talk to myself in August of 2013. I would begin by telling myself not to stress over things that I have no control over, as long as I do the best that I can and put in the effort, everything will be fine. I would also remind myself that I am qualified. Meaning, I have great grades, and wonderful relationships with my teachers and advisors, so I should not be putting myself down; instead I should be living up to my full potential.

There are plenty of resources available to students, so as long as a student is self motivated, and have a good attitude they would be an excellent fit at Prairie State Community College. The Professors, and advisors are always willing to lend their time to students who show interest, which creates a wonderful learning environment.

Althought there are many resources and wonderful advisors at Prairie State Community College, students who are not motivated to participate in their own learning would not be a good fit at Prairie State Community College. As a whole, the colleges holds students up to a high standard, so failure to try your best will result in poor grades, and an awful experience.

Prairie State University is a perfect starting point for a college career: attentive to the student and always helpful in providing academic guidance at every opportunity.

"When Showing Up is Not Enough" I'm looking back now on my younger self and wanting to explain to her what it means to build your knowledge. Effort, participation and support are all building blocks to building your knowledge. Every student must go beyond attending class and make an effort to build their critical thinking and take the ideas they are learning and work to apply them to life. Every student should go above and beyond in both their academic and extra curricular participation. And most importantly using the support systems that are available to take you to the next level of knowledge. Asking questions, seeking guidance, and using the help available. The support building block above all the others are the ones I would want my younger self to pay careful attention to. I would want her to know not to be afraid to push herself to do her best.

More than anything I wish I had known the importance of education and that it takes time and effort and a deep desire to learn. These are ideas I wished I had embraced earlier in my academic career.

Mariah

The main advice I would give to my self as a high school senior is to start preparing for college immediately. There are so many things that have to be done before you attend college, especially figuring out where to go to college, what to study, and how you are going to pay for it. College is a lot more responsibility than high school and it takes more focus and concentration. No high school senior should slack off in their last year because it will count against you when college rolls around. Never attempt to procrastinate in getting everything done for college. Give yourself ample time to finish so nothing becomes last minute. College is a huge step foward, so it is best to go in with a clear mind and full motivation.

Sarina

I like that my school is mainly one big building. All of my classes are close togather. and I like that I don't have to be walking outside in the rain or snow to get from one class to another. It makes college not seem so overwhelming.

I would tell myself to take some time off before throwing myself into the college life. I originally went to a 4 year university, and i was completely overwhelmed. Now that i am older, and going to a community college near home, i realized that the university college life was too much for me. I am glad that i had the experience, but i do feel like i could have saved some money if i would have come to these conclusions sooner. I also wish that i would have had my car when i was away at school. i think that may have led to some of my being home-sick. If i was able to go home whenever i wanted, then maybe i wouldnt have felt trapped in a strange town.

The worst thing about my school is that there is only one elevator that the students are allowed to use. I have an injured ankle and i usually have to wait for at least 2 trip of the elevator up and down before I am able to have my turn on it. There is always an abundance of students, seemingly uninjured, taking the elevator to the second and third floors. If my ankle was healed, i would gladly take the stairs.

Arielle

My classmates are full of my peers and I have known them for years.

My classmates are full of my peers and I have known them for years.

Prairie State College is a richly diverse community college dedicated to student-centered instruction that fosters success in adult, transfer, and workforce students.

To take things seriously and stay focused.

Prairie State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.