Chicago Heights, IL
Prairie State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Prairie State College

Prairie State is close to home and it has a lot of the people I went to high school with, so the support network is extensive and familiar.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college life, I would tell myself to relax. The unknown is scary, and as a senior I was very tense about college. Would people there like me? Would the courseload be too much for me? Now I know that the people at Prairie State are very friendly, and that there is no courseload too great, if your determination is equal to the challenge.

A lot of the kids at Prairie State see it not as a stepping stone to a bigger university, or as a place to get the certification to go out into the working world, but as a dead-end that they're facing because they weren't smart or wealthy enough to go elsewhere. It's incredibly frustrating to have long-reaching plans, only to talk to someone who wants nothing more than to smoke pot in their parents' basement for the rest of their lives.

Dina

I have always LOVED school. Unfortunately I became pregnant in my junior year, but I did graduate with my class nonetheless. Since that time, I have always wanted to go back to school, but I had to work full-time to support my family. As luck or bad luck, if you will, would have it, I was laid off of my job so I took this "opportunity" to return to school and pursue a degree. I am very determined to see this through, but of course, financially it has been quite a struggle.

The people are so nice to me there. I am a returning adult and was very intimidated to be among young students. Everyone has been very helpful and courteous.

Having to reapply for scholarships evey semester.

Damien

My advice to myself would be not to jump the gun and to only go to college when I feel that I'm ready to. I feel that at the age of 17 or 18 (when most people get out of high school) many people lack the maturity to take college life as seriously as they should. I wish I could have just one chance to go back in time to when I graduated and tell myself not to waste my time in pursuing a degree in graphic design. It just wasn't me

The type of people who shouldn't attend the school are people who don't take the schedule or their assignments seriously. Previously I mentioned slacking off on assignments; but I still made sure to do every one of them that I was given, and I turned them in when they were due. In the short amount of time I've been in this school I've seen many people who really didn't take their classes seriously and ended up failing and being denied finacial aid.

The most frustrating thing that I have had to encounter while in college is the long nights of writing essay papers. Especially when you've unintentionally slacked off and waited til the last minute to write a six-page paper in one night.

Tanya

I would have told myself to take college credits in high school and I would have told myself to try to get the best grades that I could. I would have studied more and would have not been concerned about hanging out with friends or having boyfriends. In doing these things as a high school senior I would have been well prepared for college and would have finished college much sooner than taking a long break and waiting to go back. I really wish I could go back in time and make these changes, but it's too late. When I talk to high school students now I tell them the mistakes I made and encourage them to do better.

Raven

My classmates are tenetive, caring, and very helpful to my school work. They are funny, exciting and keep my spirits us during school hours. They are great study buddies to work with and always on time!

In highschool I could just not attend school and still pass classes. I don't quite know how i did it, but I did. If iI could go back in time and make a transition I would really go to every class everyday. In college you can not skate by, importantly because if you want to persue a future later on in life you must have the education of the career down to a T. Employers are lookin for people who have the best potenetial for the position open. They are goin to hire the best, and if you skate through your education you can not possibly be the best. In order to get the grades and results I want out of college I must make a change and attend class on a regular basis and I'm happy i have come to realize that before it is to late.

The parking lot fills up to early and then you have to find parking on the other side of the building. The walk from the other side of the building is not fun.

Craig

My classmates vary greatly from class to class but due to the demographic of community colleges it ranges throughout all ages 17 and up and very diverse both culturally and racially.

There are so many things I wish I could tell myself. Specifically, I would convince myself to abandon Chemical Engineering because my heart isnt really in it. Music is what I want to do and I should focus on what makes myself happy. Also, I would tell myself to take that year more seriously because I will regret not working to my potential when it can still make a big difference. Go out and get that job and enjoy the social life instead of staying couped up in the house. I am powerful beyond measure and I should act like it. It'll pay off. I promise

It's very affordable and the workload is usually very manageable

I would describe my current classmates as slackers.

I would describe my current classmates as slackers.

you might think that you can make it on your own, but having friends with you does help. Dont be so shy when you get to school and talk to more people, you will be more successful.

it's too small, last year I was at a big university and I plan on going back there because this one is too small and they let anybody is that wants in. They have no selection process and its to easy.

Jesus

I would tell myself to keep on studying. Studying can only help you and would never hurt. College life gives you a wide range of freedom which makes things difficult. With great time management skills, college can be less mind-boggling. College is also a time to experience new things, so don't be afraid of taking risks. Also, don't be afraid of talking to your professors because they are here to help in your education. Making new friends is also great in college and you leave the stigma of high school behind. College is a precious thing in life and you should try your best here. College can be tough but the experience is incredible.

It doesn't matter what kind of student you can still come. We have people who come straight from high school or people who are part-time students with full-time jobs who are in their thirties and forties. Thier is no excuse for anyone to come to this college. Your classmates can range from 18 years to senior citizen. there are even people in high school who take free classes here. It is never to late to get an education here even if you hated high school. Just try a class to see if this school fits you.

It is conveniantly located in Chicago Heights and also serves the surrounding area. The tuition is cheaper than any other big state school or private university. The good thing is that at Prairie State, the faculty can help you transfer to other universities to further your degree. This saves you thousands of dollars by starting out here and going somewhere else. The faculty here really want you to know the subject they are teaching, plus the tutoring program is free and helpful. If you start near, then you can go far.

nicole

My school is the best for schooling with a side of socialization.

My school is the best for schooling with a side of socialization.

I would definitely tell myself to apply to as many colleges as I could. I would say to take some pressure off of yourself. Focus more on the extracurricular activities. I would do the community college thing ASAP and use those credits at a major university. Check out the credit transfer systems at every college you want to apply to. Invest in your education with time and money. Once I get financial aid, hit the bookstore and invest in pens and folders, you will need them. It never hurts to get a college hoodie jacket. Don't forget, you are not just a number. Don't be afraid to get a tutor and use the library. Keep your library card up to date. Save as much money as you can. Don't buy into the hype that you have to buy your books at the bookstore, the internet can be your buddy! Save your aid money at the bookstore for smaller items like notebooks, calculators, batteries, folders, pens, etc.

I wish I knew to work with the financial aid department and how to better schedule my classes.

Prairie State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.