Prairie View A & M University

« See more reviews of Prairie View A & M University

“Don’t grow up so fast and enjoy your youth.” High school seniors enter the rat race when they aim for schools like Harvard, Stanford, and Yale. These prominent institutions set unrealistic standards to achieve when they select only top students. Of course, I wish I had the writing skills I do today. Experience…wisdom…patience are virtues acquired through time and life experiences, and thus not easily transferred to another being. College is much like the painting Dogs Playing Poker. The interpretation is: life is about what a person is given, or the resources the individual has in order to advance in life. What are the other advices? “School is about jumping through hoops.” Do the assignment or projects assigned whether you agree with the teachers or not. Also, I would read more…books that satisfied questions I had about the then unknown world in which I lived. Finally, I would tell my young self to first attend a vocational school to acquire skills in order to support myself, then go to an ivy league school later. Prepare for the future, or plan ahead. Education is important, but so is money if it is necessary to pay for tuition.

You are going to meet a lot of new people when you attend college, some with high level of motivations and others that seem to be drowning in their school work. Amidst all of these people that you meet are you coworkers of the future. You will think that you are being smothered by a wide variety of new influences and trials; however, this inexplicable feeling of being out of control is natural. Once you become acclimatized to the social environment of the university student and start to find common interests with students who share your academic interests, you will make ties with the individuals who will be your employers, employees, and coworkers. Even if you do make positive connections, keep your mind sharp. Knowledge is still the foundation of any form of education. Between socializing and maintaining high academic achievments you still have to have personal time. Always make time to relax by yourself. I recommend that you jog; however, any outlet that you find relaxing is suitable. In the end, be honest with your self; if it does not feel right it most likely is not right for you.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would inform myself of the independent lifestyle of being a college student. The transition from highschool to college can easily make you or break you. How I spend my freshman year will determine the rest of my college experience. I would tell myself how important education is and that it is a tool that will take you far in life in order to be successful in a profession or career. Highschool offered me much support from my parents allowing me to depend on,to keep me on track, but college tought me to become more independent and to value the resources around me. In order to have a smooth transition I would tell myself to remain focused. Partying and peer pressure are major distractions but goals that are set should be reached no matter the obstacles. Building a strong bond with my professors and a head start on my day with a tight schedule is very important. Sitting in the front row and learning material the first time presented is critical. College is about fun experiences, but there is a time and a place.

A college experience is not only detrimental to your goals, but also to how you will live your life. I believe that college will prepare you for the future and for what is to become of your future. College has helped me become a successful person within all of my endeavors, as well as in making me strive to keep going further. Being a late starter for college, has been a little discouraging, but rewarding as well. I have experienced some of the most wonderful professors that not only want to help you in class, but are interested in helping you succeed out of college. They help train you for your career choice. College is the most rewarding thing you can do in your life, to make your goals, and dreams come true. For me college is hard, easy, long, short, stressful, rewarding and everything in between. College is going to make me become a successful dentist and allow for me to help the lower class, get affordable, reliable dentistry. I will become a dentist that is not focused on money, but on the patient and the outcome of my patients. College will be my stepping stones.

If I could go back in time and become a high school senior again. The things I would tell myself is to make sure you save quite of bet of money because it was a couple of things at school that poped up on me. Another thing I would tell myself is to make sure that I applied for numerous of scholarships because they really come in handing. Especially when you are not financially stable to pay for school out of your pocket. Planning ahead is something that is very essential in college. Because there are numerous of deadlines. Not just academically but also financially you must be ready for everythiing that is thrown at you in college. College is a great experience it is something that helps you better yourself and you grow as a person and also immature. It opens up your mind to new things, new ideas, values and morals. But, you have to stay on a straight narrow path because in college there are plenty of things that might just try to knock you off. Like drugs, parties and sometimes even people. It could also be something as little as procrastination. You have to be SMART.

The advice I would give is whichever school you choose make sure it has everything you need to do well. Live in the moment to enjoy the experience by getting involved by volunteering, take joy in meeting new people, and have fun. If you are going into a major and start losing interest then take introduction classes for other majors and another one may become a interest. Don't wait too late to change your major because I changed mines freshmen year and was glad I did. Stay on top of your classwork to pass your classes. Your classes should be your main priority. Communicate with your professors early on or academic advisors if you have any problems or concerns. If there is anything you would like to change on campus or bring to the campus get invoved with organizations that will let you voice your opinions or ideas. College is a great experience. It helps you to get in tune with who you are and what you really want to do with your life. Don't just go through the motion of being in college but really take advantage of opportunities that will help you excel in anyway.

After I got over the initial shock of seeing my past self (big hair, burgundy-framed glasses, 80's leg-warmers), I would explain, “I have seen the future of medicine and things have changed.” I would describe malpractice suits and profit-based insurance companies, and tell myself that the status of being a doctor is not worth the schooling along the way and the headaches when you arrive. Past Self would be full of youthful enthusiasm, but I would say, “There are other goals that take less time and allow for family and career.” She doesn't realize how challenging it will be to raise two children and make a marriage that will last 20 years. She doesn't know that she will keep putting off Medical School instead of “settling” for a lesser degree. She will always carry the desire to help people, but she will end up without the training to help in a crisis. I would tell her, “You don't have to be a doctor to help people heal. You can have a family and a career. The degree doesn't matter as much as the desire in your heart.”

Being a high school senior was very difficult for me, there?s a lot of advice I would offer myself if I could reverse time, with the knowledge I have now about college life. I had several setbacks in high school academically and socially. During that time, I worried about graduating on time from high school. I failed a class and had to catch up by 2.5 credits thus senior year became very stressful. I stopped believing in myself & I didn?t know what I was going to do in the future. I did well my 2nd semester of the year, but my only option to graduating on time was to sign a waiver. By doing that I would only graduate with the equivalency of a GED. So I attended summer school. I caught up and earned a real Diploma! Back then I wished that I would have graduated ontime.If time could be reversed, I would encourage myself to keep working hard because it pays off in the long run. I would tell myself to remember that nothing is handed to you, & that working hard on your own in college is a skill that is needed to succeed!

In order for a student to find the right college that best fits them is to do as much research as you can about the university in which you are trying to attend and if that school will be benifical to you in the long run. For example, I chose the college I attend, Prairie View A&M, because it is one of the top universities for the field of studying engineering as well as it suits me in the type of school in which I was looking for; its not to big and at the same time I am able to get the teacher/student communication that I need. Making the most of your college experience is key because you want college to be a time to get your education, but at the same time you want to have fun and know how to make the correct decisions about situations. In my opinion, I believe that college is the best time to learn to become more independent and learn responsibility because all the decisions that you make are in your hands. Long as the school in which you attend is your choice and gain experience, success is guaranteed.

If given the amazing opportunity to be able to travel through time, and communicate with my high school persona I would tell them the tools to being succesful in college. I would tell them to have fun with whatever you do in life, as long as you have enjoyment in a task you will complete it rather than if you were to dislike it. I would also remind them that midterms are a crucial part of your grade, and you should treat them as if they were your finals. I wouldn't tell my highschool persona how I made the Dean's list of Engineering my freshman year, due to the sole purpose that they won't take anything for granted. I would make it seem as if I struggled, so that they would better themselves not to follow the same fate. I'm scared of failures even though they are a stepping stone to success, so I know my high school persona would do anything not to fail even if I told him it's going to happen anyways. Another word of advice I would give my high school persona is to help everyone that you can in life.