Prescott College Top Questions

Cait

Dear Highschool Me, By the time you are my age you will have lived in the Caribbean, rafted the Grand Canyon, swam with sea lions and been chased by Bighorn rams through layers of red sandstone. You will have the love and respect of your friends and family. So here's what you should know in your last year of highschool: the things you don't know are numerous. So in the meantime learn to be comfortable in your own skin. You are going to do things that other's only dream of. So be humble. Don't overthink things; be happy instead. Look for joy. Don't worry about insecurities; they will kill your self esteem. And tell your truth always, because people trust those who are truthful. Know that you have to keep moving forward. Don't sit. Don't procrastinate. If it doens't challenge you, it doens't change you. You're smart and creative and you have a critical eye. Choose the harder path. Take risks and put yourself out there. Attitude is everything. You are amazing and will go far without these words. I challenge you to go even farther.

Violeta

First of all I would tell myself to get my act together because being forcibly moved out of my hometown is not a reason to slack in school, especially as a senior! I would get better grades and attend school more often, then maybe my GPA would've been higher and I would've gotten accepted into the school that I originally wanted to go to. With my current knowledge of college I would make sure to 'tell myself' to take more challenging classes that way the classes in my future aren't as hard. I would tell myself to start saving money instead of wasting it on meaningless things, I would also make sure my future was better planned. Other than that I am proud that I am where I am, except for the money situation. I would tell myself to keep up the motivation and make sure to accomplish everything that I set my mind to. Not only to be the FIRST generation in my family to attend college but to be the first to accomplish doing so and get something out of it in the LONG run. I want a career NOT just a regular job.

Rene

Be open to the idea that who you are now is not who you will be even in a few short years. Always keep working toward your goals but do not be afraid when that means leaving your current path for a new one. Above all, believe that you are right to do these things. Don't let anyone tell you that your education is not necessary or important. No one else will want this for you as much as you want it for yourself. It will be hard work but looking back, you won't regret putting yourself first because having your education will give you a the security and stability to pursue your dreams. Lastly, I would say to drink it all in. You will take classes that you will not realize how they will impact your career or you as a person, and discover later that they've change the way you view the world. Education is a powerful gift. Don't squander it, but believe that you deserve it.

Katrina

The Journey truly is the Destination! Keep an open-mind. Get ready for some of your greatest challenges yet. Expect the unexpected. Always remember to follow your instincts, and trust your intuition. Remember that the ultimate goal is to learn...we only get so far on our own, so asking for guidance whenever one feels lost is honorable in an educational pursuit, and nothing to ever be ashamed of. Open your mind, open your heart, open your eyes and get ready to be wowed at your capacity and ability to learn and grow. This is an excellent and exciting time period for expansion in understanding all that exists out there in the universe...and finding the ideal space where you fit in it, wherever that may be. Change is imminent. Your understanding of yourself and that, which surrounds you will be shaken, twisted, challenged, and drastically altered in such a way that is unimaginable. Change can be one of the most difficult challenges to face, especially when our sense of identity or beliefs is brought into question. Embracing the challenge, the fear of the unknown or seemingly beyond comprehension, is actually the very essence of becoming an Educated Being.

Jordan

a

kassandra

Married & pregnant at the age of 16, just starting my sophmore year. I would tell myself, "Are you sure you want a boyfriend? Don't you want to go to college? Get on the pill! Upon seeing by babies daddy, RUN!" Honestly I can't take any of that back, but I would tell myself to: be smart, stay in school, don't ever let a man hit or abuse you, and no matter what happens, everything turns out okay! Life is hard, tough at times, but there are more good than bad days, listen to your parents, they are there because they love you, don't run from them. I would also say to myself, "Enjoy life and what you have, someday it could all be gone," and probably one of the biggest...save your money!! Oh yeah, and just to see the shock on my face, I would tell myself, "If you don't listen, in 23 years you will have 4 children, 1 foster child, your children will go to college, & you & your husband will Pastor a church then you will finish college!"

Megan

Actively pursue every little opportunity that strikes even the slightest interest to you. The experiences that you have and the activities you choose will amount to so much more than you can ever imagine and will give you much more in return than opting out in hopes something better will come along. Join a team, it may be intimidating at first, but the fun and commraderie that will come from it will make you feel silly for ever being nervous. Be okay with things turning out much differently than you planned, your interests will grow and change and you will grow as a result of it. Be the best version of yourself you can possibly be, this will serve you much better than trying to please others and you will be able to look back and be proud of yourself and all your efforts. Understand that the college exerperience is not a race to the finish, and graduation is not the end-all of your pursuits but rather just another stepping stone. Finally, remember to work hard but also have fun!

Toby

Follow your heart to achieve your dreams! Take your time, as your education is your choice and your success is directly linked with the passion that you bring to your education. Do the research to see what drives you and make an educated desicion on what path you will take into your future. It is your life so follow your dreams because anything is possible!

JUDITH

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are many things that I would want to say. I am 42 years old and just got my degeree in Elementary Education. I now have to do my student teaching in order to get my certification and license to teach. I began college right after high school but made some choices that lead me in other directions and now I find myself just fininshing school at this age. So I would tell myself the importance of an education and also the importance of having a job that you love and are passionate about, instead of just working to get by. When putting off your education and getting jobs that do not make you feel happy or inspired, it is hard to go to work everyday. Although I believe in doing your best at what ever you do, whether you like it or not. I would explain all these things to my young self and would hope that after that I would make a few different choices, but at the same time there is so much that I would want to keep the same.

I would tell myself to stop convincing herself that feeling useless and untalented is only going to demotivate them from pursuing their dreams. Disappointments and let-downs happen to everybody, and for an important reason; to learn from them so they we don't have to go through that heartache again. I'd warn her to stop slacking her summers away, and instead value that time by building her portfolio instead. If I could, I would also show my former self the current consequences I have to deal with today, so that she may be able to avoid the coming years of anxiety, un-needed stress, and loss of time that could've been used to graduate. Finally, the last advice I would give is this; You are worth so much more than you think. Open your heart and talent to the people around you. Only then you'll be on the right track to success and happiness.

Zhara

Don't be scared about college. Escpecially don't be scared to own yourself at college. Be your self no matter what. People will either accept you or they won't. Don't let it bother you. Be secure in your choice. Make sure you keep up with your studies and be prepared to be on your own. Don't always rely on your mother. Because your going to a college in another state away from your family, don't let their problems reach you. Yes, be mindful of their lives, but don't let them bring you down. There is nothing you can do to help them, you are a few states away. Be open to all new experiences, but don't let yourself fall below your own standards. Keep your head up and be happy in all the choices you make: they are yours, mistakes or not, so own up to them.

Brandy

When you graduated Brandy, go straight onto college. Do not just drop out for a chance at romance. I am telling you, you will be living with your mom at twenty eight years old. College is expensive, yes they have financial aid, which is a blessing; but, if you lose that chance at financial aid, it is hard to get it back. Go to college after highschool, stay in college, and never drop out for a chance at romance, it will not be a good future.

Danielle

I would tell myself that most of my peers are confused and self-consious too and that I'm not the only one who doesn't have it figured out. As cliche as it seemed at the time I wish I would have had the strength to be myself more and spend less time trying to be the person I thought others wanted me to be. I would remind myself that I was going to have years of experiences past high school and college and that those years would just be a short period of my life so there was no point in having regrets or worrying about having the "right" school experiences. I would tell myself to breath and remember that there are rarey right and wrong answers to life decisions, there are just choices and each choice will open the doors to new opportunities; so not to stress or sweat the petty stuff because the little roadblocks never seem as significant when you look back and remember periods of your life.

Lynsey

My college experience was not the greatest, but it was still valuable in the grand scheme of things for me. I learned about not trusting everyone I come into contact with, and to never lend money I don’t have. I learned not to go with the school who offers me the most money, but to go where my heart leads. I’ve learned that yes, sometimes you can put a price tag on the name of a college. I’ve learned that it is important to take classes not just based on their course description, but also based on who teaches them. I’ve learned not to miss classes just because no one is forcing me to go. I have learned the importance of self-direction and self-discipline. I’ve learned to multitask, holding a job and school at the same time. I’ve learned that family is important. Most of all, I’ve learned to respect the guidance of my elders and the advice they give.

I have learned to be independent and to think for myself.

Nathaniel

My time at Prescott College has given me so much. I have a sense of self confidence I never had before, and a true knowledge of who I am and what I want to do. I see the world differently now, with a sense of wonder and joy that I want to share with others. I know that there are people like me, who care about the same things I care about and who love what I love.

Lynsey

College was really where I found out who I am as a person and what I'm made of. College encouraged me to do what I never thought I could, what no one else in my family ever has. College made me reconsider everything I thought I knew when I found myself in an enviorment that I had never experienced. I am now more open-minded, more friendly, and more willing to grow as a person.

Laila

I would use the knowledge I have today to maximize my experience in college. First, I would do my best to take advanced placement courses in order to increase my skill sets to ensure that I would test into higher level courses at college or perhaps test out of certain courses. This would allow me to take required classes and get my studies completed in a timely manner. Secondly, I would save money before I started school in order to assist me in paying for college expenses. I would do my best to put aside as much as I could by working a part-time job. Additionally I would apply for scholarship assistance. Large sums of money are available for students and I did not understand how beneficial scholarships were because I imagined the process to be long, tedious and too difficult. Lastly, I would ask for support from friends, family and faculty on campus in order to ensure that I have not only the academic help I need but also the emotional and mental encouragement needed in order to succeed. College is exciting, exhausting and a wonderfully challenging experience that enables growth, maturity and self-confidence in students.

anna

Don't be scared, it will all work out. Change is good.

Sharyn

I returned to college at the age of 51 and if I had it all to do over again, I would have initiated and completed my college classes at a much younger age. Obtaining a Bachelors degree at the age of 56-57 and work full time is not my definition of easy street. Go for that degree at a younger age, youth truely has it's advantages.

Andrew

I would say slow down, breath, take it easy. It doesn't have to be as hard, high pressure or urgent as I felt it would be. I would tell myself to really take time to carefully look at what I'm interested in and then pursue a particular direction, rather than choosing impulsively to just go whatever way seemed best at the time without having really assessed my options. I would encourage myself to take more time for service, adventure, and friends. I would encourage my following of my natural interests before whatever I felt I had to do.

Corby

I would remind myself that college is for an education not just a social experience. I would tell myself not to worry too much about declaring a major at first and just to focus on my generals in the beginning. I would also tell myself to research different job fields to determine which one is most suitable for me and to take interest surveys and tests to help me determine my competence choice. At my age now, 39, I would remind myself that I won't be young forever and that finishing school while a young adult would be wise and not to wait until after a husband, four kids, three dogs, two cats, and some fish! I would tell me that if I am going to go to college then do it right and make good grades (so far as an older adult I have gotten straight 'A's and it has opened new avenues for me academically. And last, but not least, I would tell myselt not to mess around with getting my degree in Psychology and go straight for an M.A. in Speech Therapy! :)

Gia

Do it the exact same way. Taking a gap year off was the best decision ever. One thing I wish I could have taken advantage of was a study abroad program.

Mary

I would have taken more time to explore various career opportunities before deciding to enroll in school, get credits in an area I lost interest in, then trying to get a degree in something else. I would talk to more adults about what they do and what they wish they were doing. I would look at career fields around me, review more college brochures about majors and figure out what would keep me interested for the remainder of my working life.