Princeton, NJ
Princeton University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Princeton University

Fixed  rate loan

Elaine
Amazing experience

Attending Princeton has been an incredible experience. The community is super tight and offers endless support

Amazing experience

Haley

I really do love Princeton. The community is difficult to describe, but it's so exciting and supportive and challenging all at the same time. Campus is a great size where you always see people you know without ever feeling like you know everyone. One thing I never considered before coming here that I've really come to appreciate is the alumni support, traditions, and overall school spirit. There definitely is a sense of being part of something bigger than yourself (as a student, Reunions is just about the coolest thing ever). Most people love it here and continue to love it for the rest of their lives. On the less positive side, the social constructs that define campus can be a bit limiting. Eating clubs divide up the classes between upperclassmen and underclassmen, and freshman are generally their own sort of subgroup. That being said, no one is antagonistic to people just because of their year. It's just harder to make older friends as a younger student, and you usually meet them through extracurricular activities (Of course that's probably true at any school).

What's the Greek scene like?

Under the radar. You can't rush until sophomore year, but more and more sophomores are rushing lately. Frats are small and tight knit. There's 5 more popular, well-known ones and at least 4 others. Several aren't affiliated w/nationals (lost charters etc). Only 3 sororities: Pi Phi, Theta, and Kappa. All have large pledge classes and therefore aren't super close. Generally focused around social events.

What's the dating scene like?

Not much casual dating. I have friends who have experienced it, but I haven't. Mostly a divide between drunk hook-up culture and more serious relationships.

There's so much going on that it's hard to say what's most popular on campus. If they count in this then the eating clubs are most popular with a majority of upperclassmen joining them. Popular groups I can think of off the top of my head are Triangle (Comedy Musical Theater Group), The Prince (School Paper), a cappella groups, performance groups in general (so many dance groups!). Greek life is popular among certain groups once you're not a freshman.

The academics are challenging but rewarding. You have to work extremely hard here, but there is always support if you are willing to look for it. There is a huge array of university sponsored support options (ex. tutoring), but I have found that my friends have been the biggest support. Princeton students are competitive, but not against each other. We all want to be above average, but I have never seen someone refuse to help someone else just to give themselves a leg up (I've heard some horror stories from other schools). In general there is a huge amount of support.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Princeton's social scene is simultaneously inclusive and exclusive. Everyone can go out to the street on a normal weekend and find somewhere to party, but the bicker eating clubs like to enforce exclusivity with lists and pass systems.

We sing our school song (Old Nassau) at the end of any performance, game, or school event. It's such a unique and special moment that brings everyone together. It always reminds me of why I love Princeton.

There are a lot of Princeton stereotypes, and I think they are all true to varying degrees. That being said, none of them have defined my experience or the general campus atmosphere. There is the WASPy, conservative, preppy, trust-fund brat stereotype that many people associate with Princeton. I have met a few people that might fit this stereotype on the surface, but they have all shown themselves to be just as passionate, intelligent, kind, and driven as any other student. The geeky stereotype is definitely more prevalent across campus since we are all geeks to some extent. But being nerdy doesn't mean we all spend the weekends studying. Princeton students definitely believe in both working hard and playing hard.

Samuel

I have but a single regret. If I could give any piece of advice to my high school self, I would need just three words: kiss the boy. At the time, I had every reason not to. There were serious questions. Was he gay? Was I? How would my parents react? It’s hard to risk the leap from friends to something more, and back then, I just couldn’t do it. All the same, I was given every opportunity. A guys’ night out, where the others “just couldn’t make it,” a sleepover far away from home, even the moment when he withdrew from his own closet. If I could have taken that advice and told him how I felt, I would have been a more open person. Regardless of what his response would have been, I needed to learn to talk about these delicate interpersonal relationships. It’s all too easy to bottle up emotions, and it’s all too painful when they come pouring out. Since then, I’ve met other people, and I am learning to be more forthright about my emotions. However, it’s a lesson I wish someone had helped me with long ago.

The best thing about Princeton is definately the spread clubs and activities. Anything you could ever be interested in, Princeton is where you'll get to try it out. It doesn't matter if it's juggling, or fencing, or protesting, or anything in between. Even better, these oppurtunities are free. Princeton's the experience of a lifetime, and trust me, you'll be having the time of your life.

David

Generally, I love Princeton. It's been the ideal size for me - small enough to always see a friendly face, but large enough to retain some privacy and anonymity - and the campus is absolutely breathtaking. Being in such a picturesque area has its price, however. The town of Princeton isn't the most college-friendly; all of the shops and restaurants are fairly pricey and shut down early, and off-campus housing is impossibly expensive for undergrads. That said, there are still gems waiting to be discovered off-campus, like at the Princeton Record Exchange (an awesome music/video store) or the fried-food-Mecca that is Hoagie Haven. Understanding life on campus is a little tricky, in large part due to the "eating clubs" that kind of dominate the campus social scene. Upperclassmen have the opportunity to join these co-ed social/dining clubs, headquartered in mansions on "The Street" (aka Prospect Ave). While only upperclassmen actually eat in the eating clubs, they throw parties every weekend, so sometimes people compare them to frats...except they really aren't frats (frats and sororities ARE on campus, in fact, and just had the ability to hold freshman rush taken away - big controversy), so most Princetonians give up explaining them to their non-Princeton friends. Of course, they'd only try to explain the clubs if they've copped to attending Princeton. Most Tigers will try and dodge the "college question" by saying they "go to school in New Jersey". It's not a shame thing (there's an absurd amount of school pride - Reunions is a complete spectacle every year); rather, it's just a kind of modesty, deserved or not. Students also love to gripe about grade deflation (the school has a policy that suggests restricting grades to a curve in each department), but in the end we all bond over it. All considered, I wouldn't trade Princeton for anywhere else. Every moment, good and not-so-good, has been totally life-changing. I'll never forget finishing my first English essay after a frantic all-nighter in Campus Club, nor the first time I stepped on stage with the talk show I founded (named "All-Nighter"). I've had the opportunity to both tour the backstage of Saturday Night Live and give a presentation to the United Nations Disarmament Committee, all thanks to classes I've taken. I've made some awesome memories, and really awesome friends.

Julie

This school is a huge game board. You can make it into a fun experience or into a competition. You might win but you might also fail... though in the end you'll leave having learned something. Princeton provides you with everything a college could possibly offer. It's really what you do with those game pieces.

People think we're a breed of trust-fund babies, have some kind of 'ancestral legacy' to Princeton, and that we all feed into Wall Street eventually. I've been accused of the same, and I'm a regular old Biology major!

We have our share of geniuses, jocks, eccentric cos majors, etc. Then there are the John Nash-wannabes. No one bites.

It's hard, it's satisfying; it will humble you, it will make you proud.

Gabriel

There are a million things to say about how amazing Princeton is: the picture perfect campus, the top-notch teachers, the wonderful friends I've made, but I think the most impressive part of Princeton is the sense we get that the faculty and administration really are trying their hardest to make everything at Princeton the best it can be for us undergraduates. Of course, Princeton already has a reputation as the best in many areas, but even the small things have been perfected: the printing is free, the laundry is free, I have more advisers than I can shake a stick at. If there is any problem, no matter how small, I firmly believe that Princeton will help me fix it.

Princeton has a legendary reputation for academics and for good reason. No matter your field, you will find experts here, from classics to languages to economics to astronomy to engineering. Classes can get pretty tough sometimes, but most people know how to pace themselves and stay sane.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

When I am working by myself, I like being in my room, but when studying with others, there is a huge variety of places to work. My favorite, though, is the Lewis science library. It is a beautiful building designed by Frank Gehry. It has both quiet space and study group rooms with wide, panoramic windows for lots of natural light to read by. It also is located near all of the science labs and lecture halls, so it is great for meeting up with classmates before or after class.

The most common stereotype of a typical Princeton student is the preppy kid who cares more about partying than his grades. The truth is, I see a lot more t-shirts and jeans than popped polo shirt collars. Most people got here the same way everyone got into college: hard work, diligence, and probably a little luck. There is still time for fun at Princeton, but no one breezes through.

Lucy

Like any other school, Princeton has its pros and cons. Personally, I find that the pros greatly outweigh the cons. Sometimes it can be a struggle to balance academics and extracurriculars, but the tough times are also the most rewarding. Coming from a public school in Texas, I've experienced tremendous academic and cultural growth during my time here. The people I've met inspire me in so many ways, and the best part is that after graduation, Reunions gives us an excuse to come back often and keep in touch.

I'm a little biased since I'm a dancer, but I'd say that the dance groups are pretty big on campus. A capella groups, theater groups, and athletics constitute a large of campus life as well.

Think twice before assuming that Princeton is stock full of elite snobs and super nerds. While it's true that there are rich kids and smart kids here, everyone is incredibly humble about their background and talents. I've found that students are highly diverse in both their academic interests and social lifestyles, and it doesn't take long to see that each person's unique perspective on life is what brought them here.

Ariel

My classmates are smart, interesting people who are always willing to help or give their opinions.

I would tell myself to continue working hard and to learn how to study.

A self motivitated as well as hard working student should attend Princeton. It is perfect for someone that desires to grow intellectually while collaborating with fellow students.

Stefan

I literally could not be happier with time here at Princeton. Aside from the fact that the classes and professors are all top of the line, the people I have been exposed to here has been the real treasure. Princeton attracts such an interesting group of students that I have learned just as much from my peers as from the professors. The school is a very personal experience on one of the most beautiful campuses.

People are involved in various different groups here on campus. I am an Orange Key Campus Tour Guide, the class of 2013 Vice President for student government, and a leader in the Universities outdoors program which runs a large pre-orientation program for incoming freshmen every year.

Princeton has a very large number of student groups that cater to all the different associations one has. They allow for as little or as much commitment as one is willing to give. The student body is so vast and diverse, studying with all the people around me a true pleasure.

Though when taking introduction classes to specific subjects, lectures are large, however as soon as you start taking an higher level class you are in a class with very few students and the professor. It is very easy to get to know professors and vice versa. They are extremely accessible as well as being required to teach every lecture.

I think a common stereotype that Princeton receives is the false assumption that all the students are extremely elitist. This is highly false and only represents a very small part of the population. Princeton is such a vastly diverse student body with people from all different backgrounds, that it is upsetting to hear this wrong stereotype.

Andrea

could describe how highly i think of this school. There is literally nothing I would change. The rather small size of Princeton, though not ideal for everybody, is perfect if you want the opportunity to meet almost all the people in your class, yet you will never have the feeling that you are limited to spending your time with 10 people... whether you like them or not. School pride here is incredible. People here love the school, and it generally seems that the school loves the people back too. Classes are tough, yes, but will be well worth the effort. Overall, if I could have restarted and picked any school in the world, it would have been Princeton.

There are too many to mention here. One of my favorites, though, are the a-capella groups that you will find performing under one of the many arches at Princeton. There is something special about walking home at night in the winter and being able to stop and listen to the wonderful singing going on around campus. If that's not your thing, however, there are dance groups, theater shows, all kinds of sports (at all levels) and the nightlife is also amongst the best I have ever experienced.

At first glance, it is easy to settle with the belief that all students here are exactly what people say they are... rich kids from the North East who always and only wear boat shoes, pastel coloured clothes and think they own the world. But that is only at the very first glance. The truth is that here students really do come in all shapes and sizes and from a variety of backgrounds. The boat shoes fact may still be true but the community here is quiet diverse and if you just spend a few minutes looking, you will be able to tick frat guys, athletes, geeks, and anything in between off your list.

Princeton University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.