Princeton University

« See more reviews of Princeton University

I was vegan and had a lot of trouble meeting my nutritional requirements in college, especially when I was restricted by a dining hall meal plan during the first two years of college. I supplemented my diet with groceries that I bought from a local, organic store called Wild Oats (I think the store is now called something else..), which was about a 15 min walk from campus. Unfortunately, it was very expensive, especially since I had to buy speciality soy products like soymilk, soy yogurt, etc. Though I tried to send comments to the dining hall about including more well balanced vegan meals, they were not very responsive and did not change the food that they offered. I tried an eating club my junior year and though they was more flexible than the dining hall was, it still did not offer me what I needed nutritionally. Therefore, I ended up going independent my senior year and found that to be the best option overall. I personally enjoyed it because I had a lot of other friends that were independent, however, it could be socially isolating if most of your friends are in eating clubs.

Princeton is not an educational institution. Professors are too concerned with their research to interact with students. Ask Shirley Tilghman why she doesn't go tuition free? Dirt poor kids already get full aid and rich kids don't need it. Princeton is fucking the middle class basically, which just goes to show the logic they use with respect to the students. Princeton's current endowment is $16 billion. Supporting all tutitions would cost the university $250 million a year. Do you know what the returns are on the endowment? Near 20%. Thats $3.2 billion in returns. Even if you index the endowment, it would still earn on average $1.2 billion a year. What are they using that money for? Does it not make sense to attract the best and the brightest in order to get the greatest return on human captial in the future? Apparently, Princeton does not value the intellect of the middle class, or it would offer a tuition free education for everyone. Fucking pricks.

Compared to other schools, Princeton University excels in both academics and athletics. Furthermore, the opportunities available at Princeton are astounding. Within a single week, you can listen to an open lecture given by a popular neuroscientist, attend classes and sporting events, meet a famous actress and playwright as well as meet 20 students, each from unique backgrounds with their own experiences to draw from on campus. And with all of these opportunities, for students who participate in varsity athletics, there is a balance between academics and athletics, providing the athletes with adequate time to pursue the multitude of enriching experiences.

Although Princeton is not in a bustling city and most students just stay on campus all the time, there is never a shortage of things to do at Princeton. There are numerous shows to see, lectures to attend, new activities to try out, even parties to have fun at. One day a famous comedian may perform while the next day the U.N. Secretary General and the Turkish Prime Minister may give speeches (I've gone to all 3). Everyone is so involved, so even though the campus is really small, you never notice it.

At Princeton University, in addition to lectutes we also had time with 10 or so other students to study with the professor or the graduate student professor's assitant to spend one hour speaking and talking about the subject matter. This is an opportunity many other colleges do not provide! At the University of Phoenix, where I currently attend gard school, the professor is availale 24/7 via email to answer your specific questions and disucss elements of the course with you.

Advice to future Princetonians... Be proud of the silly traditions and the (sometimes hideous) orange decor...Princeton alumni certainly are as thousands descend on campus for reunions every year. Try out all the unique things Princeton has to offer: run naked through the Woody Woo fountain, get a Heartstop from Hoagie Haven, have a meal at every club on the Street, take a class Pass/Fail about something you know nothing about.

The college experience is all about finding yourself -- finding what your interested in, making friends, thinking about careers, falling in love, staying up 'til 2am when you have an exam the next morning. Sure, Princeton will offer you all of that, but you have to be ready to put a lot of hard work into your classes and into your friendships to really be rewarded.

Princeton is a really fun place, but it is what you make it. If you want to study in your room 24/7 and get straight A's, you can. If you want to go out and drink every night, you can do that too. There are so many groups to get involved with on campus. If you put yourself out there, you will definitely make a ton of friends and find your niche on campus.

Nope. Princeton is great, especially the care towards people who need financial aid. The stress can be high, but hey, it's time to learn, and it's college. It's a work hard, play hard attitude. Now, I'm going out to party a bit. Cause it's tuesday night. And that's what I do on tuesdays. I also dont capitalize the word tuesday.

The environment in general stands out: students thirst to learn more and are eager to get to know each other, the faculty sincerely cares and motivates the students, and there is a tangible energy that fills the campus. It's the kind of place where you wake up and do a million things or else you feel like you're being lazy.