Elsah, IL
Principia College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Principia College

TreVaughn

Transferring from Keiser University where I was on a half-ride athletic scholarship to here was one of the best decisions of my life. The community wants to see you do good no matter what and will put you in a position to succeed in the classroom and athletics. There’s a sense of welcoming when I came on my visit and despite my basketball background everyone wanted me to come here just to experience what a great community it is and this school has changed my life for the better. I’m proud to be a Principia Panther!

Carrie

To be honest, I have very mixed feelings about Principia College. The campus is beautiful, unique and peaceful. The location is interesting, it can feel isolated and remote at times, but it's still peaceful and easy to focus on schoolwork. I would recommend having a car to travel off campus or at least befriending someone with a car. Everyone there is very open and friendly, but can be clique-ish because it's such a small school. I owe a lot to this school with providing me with amazing and affordable educational opportunities such as traveling abroad. The classroom structure is awesome and close-nit; you really get to know your professors. Somethings that I truly struggled with was the overall conservative vibe on campus. When I attended, openly gay students could not attend. That's changed now, but the administrative culture overall has a long way to go in terms of embracing new ideas. I had a really hard time with the social aspect of college and looking back, I may have felt more independent at a bigger school. I wasted a lot of time with the wrong people and struggled to obey the code of conduct. A lot of people say they loved their Principia experience, but I feel as though those were some of the most challenging years. I was apprehensive to have an open discussion with someone because the risk of discipline was so great. I felt no support from administration and felt that they were only interested kicking people out and making you feel like a flawed person who wasn't worthy of the school. I've attended CS camps and Sunday school my whole life understand CS. I guess I ultimately overestimated my resilience to social pressures. Anyway, I'm grateful for my academic experience, but socially (with the exception of meeting my best friend), it was a nightmare.

Caitlyn

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college really isn't going to be as tough and scary as it is made out to be. The school work really isn't that much harder in college, and I have met many great people. Overall I would go back and tell myself to stop worrying and enjoy your senior year!

Don't attend this school if you are not a Christian Scientist.

The most frustrating thing about Principia College is that many of the students come to the college from the Principia Upper School. This is annoying because as long as their GPA was good, they automatically got accepted without having to apply, and they also bring high school drama along with them.

James

You know what is good? Your life. Don't walk away. I know high school wasn't fun overall - or any part of the school system you have seen so far. Just wait until college. Give education a chance to be exciting and fulfilling. You think discrete math sounds like a ton of bricks. Wait until you've learned it from a former CIA data analyst in a class with people like you. Wait for the chance to swim the Mississippi for a PE course or build a solar car for an engineering class - a solar car that wins 7th worldwide against ivy league schools. Wait to play Phantom of the Opera on French Horn with an organist in full costume. Wait to take Russian history with a man who witnessed the Berlin Wall break. Wait for the chance to build a caving organization in your area or plan an all campus field-trip to the most significant job fair in your field. Yes you want to focus in computer technology, but Principia won't let you be so narrow minded. Don't consider anywhere else - the love of your life is just a college application away.

The school is rather conservative compared to most colleges. The school code is slowly changing but it has always been conservative for it's time according to history.

Someone in love with life in search of a small campus where friends are everywhere should consider Principia. This person should be good natured, self-driven, truthful, compasionate, and free of popular material pitfalls like drugs and alcohol.

Nathan

People who attend my school are known to be associated with the religion of Christian Science which was founded by Mary Baker Eddy. Principia College only allows followers of this religion to attend. Prin is known to have an exceptional acedemic system. The greatest thing about this college, is the tight-knit community. Almost everyone knows each other and this creates many good friendships because you have the opportunity to actually get to know people instead of just having acquaintances.

There are definitely many things that I would consider changing regarding my decisions that were made in high school. One decision that stands out the most would be putting forth more effort. Experiencing my first year of college made me realize that it is such a complete opposite when you compare it to high school. In just my first of college I have done much longer and more difficult work then I have ever had to do in my high school experience. So, if I could go back, I would have tried harder to get better grades because I know that I had and still have the capability to have done so.

Being a Christian Scientists is vital when it comes to Principia College's admission. This is considering that they only allow people who are firm believers and followers of Christian Science. The majority of people who attend the college are quite outgoing and energetic. People are always looking to make new friends and meet as many people as possible. Therefore , having these characterisitcs would be important.

Jenn

Principia College is the only college in the world where the faculty, staff, and students are required to be Christian Scientists. If you are serious about Christian Science , or even if you are just interested in learning more about it, this is a good college for you. The college community is small, and pretty curtious and friendly up front, which easily helps new students to make friends.

As a high school senior, I wondered about what college I would want to attend and what I would want to study. After attending several high schools I knew that I wanted to study at a college that would allow me to explore myself. I wanted to focus on a place where I could take a potpourri of classes in different disciplines, get involved in student-run clubs and artistic endeavors, along with allowing me to experience new cultures and develop skills. When looking for a college, I believe that you should have an idea of what you are envisioning, and ask questions to those who work and attend the colleges you are considering. Will this college give you opportunities to intern, work on ?hands-on? projects and gain skills that will enable you to start a career, or will this college simply give you fact-based or theoretical knowledge? Make sure to inquire about the social structure, class sizes, dining services, and student housing as well. As a college sophomore, I?m grateful to say that I asked these questions, and the more that I am asking them, the better my college experience has turned out to be.

Principia College is a pretty conservative place. You will probably feel out of place at first if you came from a liberal school, or if you yourself are liberal. There are also not many diverse food options avaliable to you as a student, especially after midnight unless you care for vending machine snacks and soda.

Jasmine

A student's college life is about finding one's self. This is the time to learn about hard work and work ethics and that's why its important to be surrounded by quality people at a quality enviornment. Is there truly a need for a party school? There will be plenty of years after college for partying. If you decide to go to college its because you care about your education and about your learning experience. That is why you need to find the perfect place you identify with solemnly. A place where you can study and feel comfortable being yourself. College its about yourself and your future! What's it going to be?

We have an amazing campus surrounded by trees and at the top of bluffs. A big an secluded campus that helps you think and focus on your school work as well as bond with your classmates. Classes are of an average of 14 students per class making it very easy to have a one-on-one with the teacher.

There are so many things going on at the same time that it is hard to do all of them at once and keep up with all the work. Classes are demanding but duable.

Melissa

Make sure you really know what the school and the people who attend the school are like. Visit during the school year and meet some of the students. I transfered from another university, and the type of students makes a big difference.

I find the location challenging because I really like big cities and the west coast.

Someone who doesn't mind doing a lot of things on campus.

Alice

You're definitely never lost in a crowd. Classes are small, so you always have professor attention. Housing is intimate, so you have a supportive home and community. I have loved how multi-involved I can be. Because we're a small campus, everyone is welcome to try anything. I have been on a varsity sport, in plays, participated in eco-events, written for the paper, been on student government, etc. Sometimes all at once! The liberal arts aspect also makes me feel like I have rounded understanding of the world and all educational fields.

Go someplace where you can grow. That has a different meaning for everyone. Maybe you think you're only interested in one thing--go somewhere where you can try out different classes should your tastes change. Maybe you are completely satisfied with your high school friends. Go somewhere where you can meet different people as your personality shifts or your interests expand. If you're scared of something--a place too big, too small, too far from home, too close--don't completely shut out your options based on that fear. Realize that college is meant to be an education, but it is also the fence between structured life through school and the completely unplanned future. It is a time to explore and hopefully change. Sure, college should be comfortable. Visit your choices and envision walking those paths, sitting in those dorms, learning from those professors. But, make sure you don't feel so comfortable you will never try new activities, branch out to different people, or have the courage to study something foreign to you. Make college a personal and strong choice, but just know some anxiety just means you have the opportunity to grow.

Because it is small, sometimes I have felt static in my social life. It is tempting to believe I have met everyone alreay. But, usually, when I start to feel that way I end up doing something where I meet a bunch of new people or get to know people I thought I knew better. You just have to be pretty proactive about branching out and digging deeper to find out about people. Also, we have decent social events, but you've got to take responsibility for your own fun too.

This school for Christian Scientists is a very friendly atmoshpere with numerous opportunities for its size.

Most students are friendly, willing to help others, goal-oriented, and involved in extra-curriculars.

The right college for you is not always the one that looks right on paper. One of the most important things you can do is to go visit the school while it is in session -- sit in on classes, talk to professors, and talk to students about their own experiences with the school. Your college years are some of the most important and memorable ones of your life so you want to make sure you're in the right place. Once you get there, don't forget that you get what you put into your experience. If you sit in your room and study (or play video games!) all day, you won't enjoy college. Put yourself out there -- get involved in at least one or two things that you're passionate about. You'll becoming a more well-rounded (and marketable) person and you really will make the most of the opportunities you have in front of you. Most of all don't forget to have fun -- you only go to college once! Enjoy your last few chances at having a 'free' summer :)

Principia College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.