Providence College Top Questions

I would tell myself to have confidence, take chances, and not be afraid to make mistakes. I would tell myself to follow my heart, study things I love, and do activities that make me happy. I would tell myself that you can never have too many friends, to always say hi to the person walking by and always hold the door for the person behind you, even if they are far away. I would tell myself to not get discouraged when classes are difficult, and to connect with professors because they are our greatest resource. I would also tell myself that people change, and it is okay to move away from one friend group and towards another one. I would tell myself to travel and study abroad whenever possible. I would tell myself that sometimes forgoing studying for that quiz in order to spend precious time with your friends is okay and the memories will last longer than that quiz grade. I would tell myself to use all of my skills and passions to determine a career path that would be fulfilling for me. Most importantly, I would tell myself to not take for granted the relationships and memories made.

Thomeeka

The advice that I would give to my high school senior self would be to be organized, have a schedule and know what habits work for you best. Morning classes or afternoon classes are an option. In what environment do you like to be in in order to do homework, quiet or with a group? Manage your free time so you have time to socialize as well as leave time to do work. Become involved as well. Also, you don't have to be best friends with your roommate(s). College isn't hard, it just takes a realization that you are becoming an independent individual and nothing is impossible.

Ariana

College is tough and there is alot of work that constantly needs to be done, it is so much different than high school. Do not save your homework until 8 at night, because then you will be up all night long completing it. Try to think of the normal high school school day, you go to class for 730 and you're out by 130 utilize that time inbetween classes to complete the work you wont want to do later. Do not save your homework for the day before it is due, college professors assign SO much reading and you wont be able to complete all 100 pages assigned if you start the day before also, take naps often trust me everyone does it, and they help a lot! You get so tired even if you are sleeping more than you did in high school. This is all very important information to consider, but I think the best advice I can give you is to work hard and be yourself. I know college seems like such a huge and scary place, but I promise you that if you work hard like you always have done you'll succeed.

angela

Wow, going back in time to visit my past self would be quite a trip. I feel like I know exponentially more about myself now than I did, even three years ago. I would tell myself to buckle down, get yourself together, do what needs to be done: focus. Listen to your inner voice, really be true to yourself. If something feels wrong, it probably is. Do only what makes you happy. Everyone has a different path, you live your own life. Be repsonsible, be nice, be smart. Take things one day at a time, go slowly, do not rush anything, listen to your intuition. Be true to yourself.

Nosine

I have learned so many valuable lessons through experience. Some may say that I learned many things the hard way. I believe that learning from experience can be the best way to learn. When I was a high school senior I did not focus on getting exceptional grades in order to go to college. Now I see after having been out of college for almost five years straight that higher grades could have put me in a better position academically. Another thing that could have helped me would be searching for more free money. If I could go back to high school and talk to myself as a senior I would tell myself to get the highest grades possible. I would also tell myself that a college scholarship is the most important thing to strive for. I would tell myself to not work full time and drop down to part time in school. Dropping to part time in college not only put me into debt but it also made it so much harder to complete a degree. I should have had more faith in myself and went for the scholarships that I now know that I deserve.

Jennifer, major in what you enjoy and have a strong passion for. If what you are studying is not what you had in mind then it is not for you. Be sure to explore with a variety of courses, it will broaden your horizons and ultimately make you a better individual. Social engagement is also very important. Go to sports games, lectures, school events. Don't be affraid to speak up, what you have to say is important. Last but not least, have a plan for your future so you can make the most out of your college journey, but also know that you are going to be fine entering the "real world".

If i could speak to my high school self, I would tell her not to let her shyness and fear take control. Get involved! Even though you are worried about how you are perceived, these moments are so fleeting that it won't matter if you act like a fool. It is not okay to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else. When the whole experience is over, are you going to have a t-shirt from your intramural softball team? Or are you going to have a story about why you were scared to go to the tryouts because you may play poorly. Are you going to have friends who are involved in business? Or are you too scared you aren't smart enough to talk to people in those classes? Are you going to look back at your college literary journal and find your essay? Or are you going to remember how you never submitted it because you didn't think it was good enough. Which memories do you want? Push past the fear and learn to embrace the moments, even if they are scary and embarrassing. Those times will always make a better story!

Jay, I know that you are probably not going to listen because you are one to find out by your own experience but, I would like to tell you that you should go ahead and enroll in a 4 year college and go for a degree in Accounting. You have a great asset in organization and perfection in your character, that you probably will not discover until you are 30.

Hello high school student Emily, The most important thing, which may sound really hard, but try not to procrastinate! I know the end of the school year and ending and you just want to go to college already but if you get your work done before the last minute you are able to spend time doing something else more important. Learning to lessen procrastination will follow through into college. Another piece of advice that is going to be helpful is planning a schedule for yourself. Write down all your assignments. This will allow you balance your time and not feel overwhelmed with work. Then most of all, get your work done but don't forget to have some fun too.

Marisa

There is no college like Providence. Due to our Civ program, every single student will obtain the history of the world and therefore become well rounded. Besides academics, though, I truly feel like this is such an ecclectic school because people come from all walks of life. I am a First Generation student, which is quite rare because my parents did not go to college. I know that Providence will help me make a difference in the world due to all the diversity and what it has taught me about other people. Providence has been valueable to attend due to their emphasis on unity.

Kim

Although my college life has just begun, I can already see it's many impacts and influences on my current life as well as my future. Heading into my second semester I feel confident and eager to take on new challenges and exciting adventures. Going into college, I was worried about how I would handle not playing varsity sports anymore. This had always been a major part of my life and I struggled to picture myself mereley watching from the sidelines. Soon enough however, I discovered my school"s Ultimate Frisbee club team. After the first practice, I knew I had just met a great group of people and would have no trouble fitting in. Because of this and the variety of intramural sports, my competitive appetite was content. I also quickly discovered a great deal about myself and who I want to be in the future. I declared myself as a Spanish Secondary Education major with a minor in Italian at the beginning of the year. After the first semester, my love of language and culture increased and I am now determined to become certified as a teacher in Spanish, Italian, and French by the time I graduate.

Kyrra

As a transfer student beginning my second year of college, I'm excited to begin at my new school. I disliked everything about my experience last year, from the impersonal professors/classmates to my inconsiderate roommate. My classes weren't challenging enough, and the student body (who were mostly from the same state) went home every weekend, leaving the campus dead and lonely. I never had an assigned advisor to guide me through my academic queries. My college life last year was basically me sitting in my room every day studying or watching TV. Although I am not fond of my college experience thus far, I'm still grateful for it. It taught me a valuable lesson, that I shouldn't compromise my beliefs, opinions, and ideals. The reason I attended that university was because my parents were concerned with the cost of other institutions, and this negatively influenced me to not apply to my dream schools, which were either privet or out-of-state, meaning they were pricey. However, I know now that sacrificing my dreams means sacrificing my happiness, and since college is supposed to be the time of your life, I won't sacrifice that either.

Jacinda

I've found myself by returning to college after taking time off. I've become very involved and found my niche. I have discovered my strengths, as well as my weaknesses, and have had the opportunity to work on both. College has been valuable because it has led me to my future career, as well as to myself.

At Providence College, with learning skills to get a job in the real world, I've always learned about myself. I've learned about the young woman I am being, independent and strong. It has taught me to let go out fear, and realize this is my time to learn about myself and who I am to this world. I have learned to be comfortable in my own shoes, and reach out for what I desire whole-heartedly. I realize this is my time to live to my best ability and strive to get to the best future for myself. College has truly challenged me, but I wake up so thankful for this oppurtunity I am given. The challenges I face here, I believe, is my own weakness leaving my body. I am truly blessed to attend Providence College.

Pat

Listen to your parents. They really do know what they are talking about. They have the life experiences and they care about you and want only the best for you. I know at 17 or 18 you think you know it all and are indestructible but it is your parents who always have your best interests at heart. Their advice is invaluable. Listen to them for they know what they speak of! Also, get involved! Participate fully. Don't be afraid to be who you want to be.

If I could go back in time, there are many things I would do differently as I transitioned to college life. To start with, I would have become involved more freshman year. While this time can be strange and overwhelming, it is the perfect time to try out new things. After freshman year, many friendships have been established and groups have been made. Next, I would also tell myself to stop worrying so much about what others thought. Often I didn't try out for a team or join a club because of a fear of failure. I missed out on some great opportunities because of that fear. In addition, I would have worked harder on my academics my first two semesters. Studying for college exams and writing college essays was very different than my high school work load. I should have taken the extra time to make a study schedule and made plans with people in my classes to get together to review class material. Freshman year can be all about the social aspect. While that can be nice at times, it is important to remember what you are there to do.

Kirsten

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to get stressed out about the transition from high school to college. Every freshman on a college campus is going through the same things. Everyone is trying to cope with meeting new people, doing work, leaving home and friends, and finding ways to have fun. People on college campuses are less judgemental than high school, so it is a lot easier to express yourself. There are so many different groups of people on campus that everyone finds people to fit in with, even people who have a hard time being social. But make sure to make good friends, because part of the education of college is the social life.

Ava

Going back in time is an intriguing concept. It makes us wonder about what we would have done differently in situations in the past, and yet the irony is that even if we did have the chance to go back in time, we may not choose to do to right thing even the second time around. If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I could advise myself to not skip class even if I wanted to, I could tell myself not to wait until the last minute to write a term paper, and I could say that staying up all night studying does not necessarily help you do better on the test. But I wouldn't say those things. Learning those things on your own is what makes you the kind of student you are. So for advice, I would simply say: Be Yourself. College is about figuring out who you are and as long as you don't attempt to be someone you're not, although there may be bumps along the way, I have confidence that you will be able to find your way in the world.

If I could go back and time and talk to myself as a high school senior about the transition from high school to college I would tell myself to just by myself. Going to college is a very unique experience. You move away from home for the first time, live with strangers, meet new people, and open yourself up to a whole new world; the real world. During the transition you need to remember and cherish who you are as a person. You cannot pretend to be someone who you are not or say something you do not believe or act in a way which you know is not you. People respect you for who you are, not who you pretend to be. Find a close group of friends that likes you for you and who share some of the same values you do. This will help ease you into the college life and remove the social pressure college places on you which will allow you to focus more on academics, the main reason for attending college in the first place.

Alejandra

Allie, you will make friends. You'll actually have friends that understand you better than people you've grown up with. So don't worry about being lonely, because that feeling passes. It's similiar to when you went away to summer camp and were really nervous to arrive, but after a few weeks you dreaded the thought of leaving. Also, no one really teases people in college, so you don't need to be worried about that either. Well, you're friends do make fun of you, but you're always in on the joke and mostly deserve it. Also, if you don't enjoy the company of the people around you, there are many opportunities to extract yourself from the situation. Just go to the library or take a walk. No matter what you do, even if you have five papers to write and five exams to take, don't wish that any day would just end already. You need to realize how lucky you are to be in a school that's teaching you how to live, with people that are teaching you how to love.

College is certainly a big transition, but it is not as hard as you would think it to be. When you go to college, you have more independence, but with that independence comes responsibility. For the first time in your life, you will be in charge of yourself. You need to be able to balance both school work and a social life. Also, finding friends isn't going to be a problem. Eventually you will find friends that are just like you, and who will become your best friends for life. College really is the time that you will find yourself, and start doing your own thing. You will finally be treated as an adult, working towards your future career, and having the time of your life. The amount of school work isn't too much either. Of course it is much more rigorous than high school, but if you study hard and take an interest in what you are learning, you will be fine. By the time you finish your first year at college, or even your first semester, you will not want to leave. College will be one of your best experiences.

The only advice I would give myself if I went back in time would be to don't be afraid of making decisions or sticking with a class because in the end, you will be rewarded with really good grades.

If I were talking to myself as a high school student I would make it clear how important grades and money are. I would remind myself that you have to stick to your goal. Nowadays, when people hear the word "college", teenagers think of huge parties and drinking. The reason colleges were invented and why we go to them now, is to learn more and set us up for our future careers. So even though our fellow classmates may be partying every weekend, you must remember why you are in school. While they may joke about failing class, you should be internally laughing about how they are not going to get a good job. It is easy to get carried away by your social life, but you are growing up and this is the time in your life where your decisions truely impact your future. If you are doing well in school you should be using the extra time to get a job and/or get involved on campus like volunteering. I volunteer a lot on campus now, but I wish I had started early because it has taught me a lot about the world.

Sigride

make sure you look really carefully at schools before deciding to go there

When you are college searching, try to schedule an overnight visit so that you can get a feel for how the campus runs and attend a few classes to see if you feel comfortable and like it. Make sure you research the graduation requirements to see what the core curriclum is like because that can be a deciding factor when it comes to choosing the right college. More specifically, check what courses are required for your major/minor to make sure you can complete them and anticipate them. Also, check into the financial aid department to ensure that you will receive what you need in order to attend the particular school. Some advice that I would give about making the most of your college experience is to stay focused on your studies by being organized and using your time wisely. Join a few clubs that appeal to you but do not overload yourself because it can become very overwhelming. Try to make good relationships with your professors they are a great resource.

Joan

College is an absolutely wonderful experience. My tenure at Providence College inspired me to become a professor. I am currently getting my Master's in Fine Arts in Creative Writing at Emerson College in order to make this dream come true. Finding the right college for both you and your family is an important goal. I have been lucky enough in my life to find the right match for me. I believe that students and parents should have open communication with one another in order to understand where each person in the family stands. College is an investment in the future, and it's important to make the right one. You wouldn't invest your retirement funds into a fledgling company, and you shouldn't commit to being educated somewhere that isn't right for you, either.

For the most part, all colleges are pretty similar. The most important thing isn't about class size or academic opportunities, but rather about whether or not that college can be your LIFE while you're there. Classes at once school will not very very much from classes at another school, but its important to know that you have options. More importantly, ask yourself, "Can I live at this school, walk to these classes, meet friends here, participate in these sports?" Again, it's YOUR life, so make it what YOU want it to be, not by "which school is the best according to Princeton Review."

To find the best college, there are two factors that should be considered. First, visit different colleges. Visiting schools is an exceptionally important part of selecting a college. There are a myriad of different college atmospheres that can only be explored through visitation. It is difficult to grasp college life on a campus without visiting it. Second, you will notice on your journey to college that many institutions have outrageously expensive tuition costs. Fear not! This is merely the ?sticker-price.? Scholarships are available through the particular school and through outside organizations that will aid you and your family in paying for these tuition costs. Applying for grants and scholarships can be a tiring process. Often times it can seem like a part-time job, however it is tremendously pertinent to make college more affordable. Tuition prices drop dramatically with the support of scholarships and the labor exerted to obtain these scholarships definitely pays off in the end, no pun intended. Do not let the ?sticker-price? of a college keep you from applying. Instead, apply for those scholarships and grants, and fill out the FAFSA. You may be pleasantly surprised at what the cost of attendance actually is.

Apply to many many colleges. Sometimes your first choice isn't always the best one. When visiting colleges, go to at least one that you know you'd never attend. Even if you don't apply, it'll help give you a better idea of what you do and don't want in a college. (i.e. If you want to go to a diverse school, then visit one that's not very diverse. You can then use that as a tool to assess why you want to go to a diverse one, as well as figure out what other qualities you're looking for in a college.)

Salvatore

Find a place where you can be you

Meaghan

After getting rejected from 10+ schools I came to terms with the fact tat no matter where I went I would be happy. Once I was accepted to Providence College and began in the Fall of 2007 I haven't had a single regret. What I like to tell parents and students alike about the college application experience is that no matter where you end up, you'll love it. College is a unique experience that I believe everyone deserves the chance to experience. Just like everything else in life, you'll get from any college or university what you put into it. College takes initiative. You must go out there, join the clubs, work on-campus, play intramurals and you'll have the time of your life!

Keely

Make sure when you are looking at colleges you do not get so set in one type of school. Make sure that you apply to a variety of school. I applyed to nine different schools, but in reality they were all basically the same school, with a few differences. When it comes down to deciding you have little choice. Even though you may think you know what you want, things change, and you change so be open to different ideas, and make sure you really look into the schools you think you want to go to, stay there overnight if you can. This is were you are going to spend the next for years of your life so make a very informed decision. Also, if it is not right for you transfer, there is no senses being unhappy somewhere, just make sure the place you transfer to will be better.

Visit all of them before you apply, and don't get discouraged if you don't like your school right away.

Brieann

If you have the opportunity, don't choose a school about the money. Choose the school where you feel right, where you have that feeling of belonging to something bigger. If you don't get into your top choice, don't wallow in that feeling. College is going to be a great experience, no matter where you end up. If you can help it, don't commute. Live on campus freshman year. It's an experience but it's worth the agravation for the social aspect and life skills. Don't take yourself so seriously, laugh as you live. Meet as many people as you can, and don't worry about making a bad impression. Be yourself, starting with your applications and your interviews. Tour the school you want to go to if you've never been there before, talk to people, stay overnight, go while they're in session. Don't go out on Thursdays, but leave campus once a week. No homework allowed on Friday nights. Spend time with your friends over the significant other, friends are forever. More than anything, don't live in the campus bubble. Be aware of the big world out there. Best Wishes.

The best advice I could give is to simply speak with the students who go there. There is no better tool to use when trying to get the overall "vibe" of a school than talking about it with students who go there. If I were to do it all over again I would come up with a list of questions or at least a general idea of what I was trying to learn about the school form my visit in order to make an informed decision. I would suggest not only asking the school's tour guide's who are trained to answer these questions and give certain answers, but to walk around the campus and ask students a quick question or two. By doing this you not only get a variety of answers, but you get a better feel for the type of students you or your son/daughter will be spending the next four years of their life with. There is no better way to understand or get acclimated with a college than to have a first hand experience with its students.

Tyrone

Visit every school that interests you. The environment can be a huge effect on selection. Also, speak to alumni. People may have different experiences but when a general view of the school can be seen from others then it is probably the feeling that most students have toward the school.

Make sure you visit the colleges you are most interested and not simply do a college tour. To really get to the know the colleges, you need to be ablet to either spend a night there or a least a visit without your parents.

Everyone involved should pay attention to the cost of the school. Go to a school that has the major you need, or that will let you create your major. But remember, it's ok to come in undeclared, because you have a little while to figure it out. Find a school that is the right size for your comfort level, in an environment that will work for you (urban, rural, etc), in a locale (region) that you want to be in. Make friends, have fun, and make sure you do your work on time. Don't forget to go to class and participate. Get involved: join clubs, play sports, volunteer, do what will make you happy and productive. It's ok to be homesick in the beginning, but remember that your parents are always there, probably missing you, too. Call them once in a while. Don't worry about roommates, it will work itself out in the end. Don't be embarrassed to bring stuffed animals. Find stuff to do off-campus, and do it. Be safe. Organize your room in the most efficient and comfortable way possible. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Study!

Kaytee

Ask questions and have a really solid idea of what you and your student wants.

Eileen

Visit the schools you are considering on a low key weekend, walk around with just yourself or your parent before or after the tour. If you feel at home, you are.

To students: Research many colleges first, and apply to those that most fit your interests, and your major if you have one in mind. When you have applied, make visits to the top colleges on your list, especially to those that have accepted you. Once you have done this, pick the campus that feels most comfortable for you in every aspect -- size, ethnicity ratios, location, "homey" feel, whatever will make you most comfortable. Go to that college. When you get there, do not be afraid to do things -- join clubs, play sports, get involved and meet people. Make lots of friends, and as time goes on, you will pare these people down to those who will remain your friends for life. Be social, have fun, but most importantly, be yourself. Go to class, do your work, and get it in on time. Apply yourself to everything you do, and success will follow. And don't forget to call home, because your parents miss you as much as you miss them.

Elise

Having a good college experience is dependent upon finding a school with faculty that are deeply interested in their students. Feeling supported and encouraged are big factors in making classes enjoyable and enriching. Finding a school that's the right size for you is also very important, as well as keeping in mind the size of the campus and its surroundings. I also encourage students to explore their interests by joining clubs or committees in order to meet new people and enhance their learning experience.

let the student make the decision and don't be afraid to transfer

Alejandra

When I was deciding where to go for college, I knew I wanted to leave home and live life by myself for awhile. I really felt that if I didn't go to school far from home I might never find a way finally leave the area I grew up in. I know now I was probably right about that. My advice to students and parents of students thinking about going away for college would be this: don't be afraid. It's such a surreal and emotional experience to finally leave the nest, but I believe it was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. I was of course hysterically crying when I said goodbye to my friends in family, and I wasn't sure if I did the right thing during the first few weeks of school. But after the initial awkwardness of meeting new people wore off, I finally discovered my group of friends and they really did become my second family. A very few amount of people get to attend college in the United States, though many people hope to. If you are fortunate enough to attend college, make the most of it.

I would tell parents and students to go and visit campuses around the country, or even in other countries, if funding allows you to do so. You will know when you set foot on the right campus, it may not be exactly what you want, but you will know once you set foot on campus whether or not it's the right fit for you. Also, once you begin your college experience, get involved and try new things. To the student, you will meet interesting and intriguing people just by joining clubs, don't spend every night in your dorm room, and go out on weekends, you will make some of the best friends and create the greatest memories of your life.