Hammond, IN
Purdue University-Calumet Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Purdue University-Calumet Campus

Quanik

The future is brighter than your current circumstances. I know that you may be afraid but have faith and follow your gut. Friends you had in highschool may fade away, but dont worry more loyal and reliable ones are on the way. Chase your dreams, because everything you thought you were not cable of achieveing, are the very things that you will soon master. It's okay if you change your major a couple of times, after all this is your life. Don't let judgmental people who were afraid to chase thier dreams deter you from yours. Remember to enjoy the journey because one day you will achieve everything you set out to do . Have fun, laugh alot, be social, dont be afraid to talk to people, because you're never too old to make new friends. When school gets stressful dont get depressed, instead take a break look at something funny and laugh until you feel better. Always remember to encourage yourself, be strong, stand up for what you believe in, and never let anyone tell you what you can't do. Love yourself, you're "different" for a reason . WALK IN CONFIDENCE!!!!!!! Your future depends on it.

THE WORST THING ABOUT MY SCHOOL IS THE PRICE OF BOOKS

I BRAG ABOUT FLEXIBLE CLASS SCHEDULES. THE ABILITY TO GET QUALITY SOUND ADVICE FROM ADVISORS AND THE ABILITY TO TALK TO TEACHERS WHENEVER YOU NEED TO.

Philip

Going back several months ago, I would tell myself to get my act together. No one is there to look over your shoulder in college its up to you, to stay on top of your work. Yeah, you'll have more freedom but, that freedom is pointless if you think you can just waste it on fun. You need to learn how to balance fun and work. Also, stop worrying about girls they're only one part of your life later on. Be happy. Enjoy what you do and work hard because if you don't, you'll regret it, for sure. Another thing is that you might not like some of your professors but, you know what? Deal with it. Either switch classes early on or suck it up and do the work. Make some new friends and be more outgoing. You'll need all the help you can get. Explore the college and use any resources the college has to offer like a computer lab or library. Use your head. Do what's right for you and go make a difference. Give some free hugs and stay weird, my friend. Someone's got to do it, right?

ivy

I would tell myself that i need to focus on education as a priority and that i need to continue on in school and not to take any time out. This would be because once you are out of school it is very hard to restart and continue sucessfully. I would encourage myself to make it a point to get as much assistance as possibe and utilize the instructors as they are there to educate me and assist me in achieving all my goals and dreams. I would encourage myself to try out some different things and step out of by boundaries because if i dont experience all the different possibilities in education i will never know if the career choice that i make is the one i really see myself staying in for the rest of my life. Finally i would tell myself that work is all about what effort i put into it . it is possible to achieve everything as long as you are willing to work for it all. There have been more powerful people who have been in my position and have failed but have been able to achieve more with less than i can today

omar

Procrastination is not something to take lightly, every single second counts and no time should be wasted on unnecessary things. Do better on your school work because all the sacrifices and all the studying you do now will pay off later on while in college. Make sure to spend time with your family because they are your support center and you will need them to come through for you. College is going to be about learning who you are and what you want to be in your life so start thinking long and hard of what you see yourself doing. As I told you before time is everything, time management is what makes or breaks a college student's life and you really need to have that figured out before setting a foot on campus. Good luck in your future endeavors and make sure that keep in touch with friends back home because you can't forget where you came from.

lissette

As a freshmen who still hasn't found a job and still can't manage her time well. I definitly wish someone would have told me to be informed. I wish I would've been prepared to be thrown into such a hectic environment and put in a place that is way out of my usual element. As a senior I didn't really care much for thinking about the future, but now I see how much I could've gotten out of the way. I wish I would've learned how to register on time, how to apply for every scholarship I could get my hands on, how to jot down every deadline and every important phone number, and I definitly wish I would've found a job so I wouldn't be going crazy at such an early stage in my college career. The biggest piece of advice I would give my high school self would simply be to please be prepared and informed. I would much rather know every single detail and plan every step from now until graduation than roam freely and not care about my life enough to think and prepare for the future.

The best thing about Purdue would have to be the teacher/student relationship. I feel like I can go to most of my teachers for advice, and they would be completely honest with me. Same goes for my advisor. She talks to us like normal human beings and never makes you feel lower than her. They have repect for the students and encourage them to share their opinions.

The most frustrating thing about Purdue would have to be the organization and order. Our advisors try their best to explain to us how to use certain tools that the university has to offer but most of the time, either the website is acting up or just doesn't function to its potential. For example: Blackboard, the online resource in which our teachers post our assignments, tests, etc. is always having issues and not working properly, so students have to find other ways to keep up with their classes.

Tiana

Our school is best known for being a smaller campus that allows others to commute to school, and we are known for having smaller class rooms which allows a good teacher to student ratio.

Stay focused, remember the ultimate goal in life, do not let anything or anyone deter you from your goals. There is always going to be plenty of time to party and hang out with friends later. Do not pay attention to what others say or think about you. You are the only thing that matters at this point in life. If you finish your studies now as a young eighteen year old student, imagine the possibilities that can lead up to later in life. If you get it done now you will have it out the way and nothing else holding you back. I know you can be your own worst enemy sometimes but stop it! This time is for your studies and to get to know yourself as a woman. Learn everything you can in life right now, stay inquisitive, stay engaged, get involved. When you get involved in life at college it makes the days go by faster and you become more involved and well rounded. Remember to stay focused and know that you are somebody special, you can conquor anything you decide to do.

Nothing, this school is perfect!

Ryan

The biggest piece of advice i could give my high school self is to take it seriously, while at the same time not worrying about it. I was very nervous about making the transition, but once i got here it \was very easy for me to settle in. I could have saved myself a lot of worrying if i had known that beforehand.

I wish i would have known how many possibilities are avialible to students at a regional campus like Purdue Calumet. You can get help with just about anything you need, whether it be financially, academically, or otherwise.

Any person that is interested in getting more than just a piece of paper should concider attending Purdue Calumet. The majority of classes are small, which allows for a more intimate atmosphere to learn. Many classes are aimed at students obtaining life skills and abilities, and not just on memorization and repetition.

Shaniqua

Purdue Calumet is a excellent school with many oppurtunites, convenient, and always has the student's interst in mind first.

I would tell myself that you need to start applying for colleges as soon as they are open. Also, do not slack because it is your last year. Your last year is your most important year. You have to prove that you know your stuff and are ready to become an adult in the real world. Going through the years of highschool you overcame great obstcles in your life. Continue to not let these things overcome your life. Things may get rough, but keep going and pushing on. Do not choose a friend for a roommate because it will certainly ruin your friendship. Many people have warned you and you need to listen to them. Cherish friendships that you have, because true ones are hard to come by. Another thing is have a plan, coordinate a study habit, and budget your money. You love to just spend, and not think twice. Most of all, strive for nothing but success and you will indeed succeed!

The best thing about Purdue Cal in my opinion is most of the classrooms are a small size, which gives you more one on one time with the professor, especially if it is a difficult course.

Tanisha

Purdue has one of the best engineering programs, as well as their nursing program. The dorms are very nice, and you do receive a lot of help with your work when you need it. Being an out of state student, I know for a fact that their tution is not that high, and they do give you a lot of research opportunites to give you that hands on experience for when you enter your career.

College is the start to your career, so all decisions should be made wisely. The first step is to excel in all of your classes to get into the institution you choose. Good grades causes you to standout as an individual, get selected into the school you pick with no problems, and you receive scholarships. I would also suggest that you get involved in school and outside the class room. Joining activities not only allow you to interact with your peers, but it is also a key component to receiving scholarships, making colleges notice you from your involvement, and let them know your diversity and time management skills. Another factor like getting to know your teachers can benefit you for when you need letters of recommendations, and advice on college life and decisions. In closing do your research on the school you would like to go to. Take a campus visit to find out about the majors, programs, career services, and the cost of the tuition and living if you want to stay on campus. Keep up with all deadlines for scholarships and federal student aid, because school is pricey, so you want as much as you can, and soon.

People who are looking for their college experience to be smooth and full of partying should take this school out of their category if thats what they are looking for. You have to work hard, but the instructors and professors do give you the attention you need do to the small class room sizes.

Madison

I am going to be completely honest, I was not the type of student to fill out the college applications really early. I procrastinated quite a bit. I used to be ashamed of it, but I learned that I can’t change the past and I have to live with my actions. In some ways, I am kind of happy how my college experience has turned out. I have learned so much from my decisions and I may have to work two jobs to pay for school, but it helps me with managing my time and money, which is something I will have to do the rest of my life. Sure I don’t have the college “party” experience all my friends have away at school, but I have something they don’t, and that is my maturity. I have grown up more in the past 4 months than I have the last 18 years I have lived. There will always be time to party after school. So listen senior self, don’t be mad about not going away for school, enjoy what you have because you will learn so much more from having to work for what you want.

The best thing about my school is all of the opportunities they offer to help prepare you for a career. Our career counseling center offers to help us prepare for a successful career. They help us do mock interviews, build resumees and cover letters, and they let us know when there are job or internship opportunities available. They do not do all the work for us, but they help us get our foot in the door and teach us the skills we need to succeed.

I always like to brag about our hospitality program. We have a brand new building with amazing kitchens. Having the new kitchens allows us to have more opportunities. Our 291 and 492 classes allow us to actually open and run a lunch and dinner service. We never do the same menu twice and we take turns taking on the different restaurant positions. Our group of professors and chefs work very hard to prepare us for the real world and they do a phenomenal job.

Purdue University-Calumet Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.