Hammond, IN
Purdue University-Calumet Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Purdue University-Calumet Campus

Michelle

Finding the right college can be hard and my advice to parents and students is to apply to a variety of colleges and visit all of them. I made my final decision after I saw each campus and visited with staff and other students. I think another important part in the decision process of finding a school depends on the student's major. There are many schools who have excellent programs for different subjects. For example, I attend Purdue University Calumet, have been accepted into the nursing program which is one of the top three in the nation. It truly has changed my life! College experience is very important to think about. In college, it is almost like you get a new start. You have the chance to meet new people and try new things. My advice to students is get involved! From experience I can say that I have made my best friends in college. By interacting with others in activities or sports, you get the opportunity to meet new people. I believe your college experience is what you make it, so make it a good one!

I think people that are not motivated and don't want to go college, shouldn't attend there. Purdue Calumet is an excellent school and is known for many of its career programs. It is a school that works hard, so I believe if you are not motivated or willing you should not attend. Purdue is great for people who know what career they want or who are undecided.

SABA

My school carries a world-recognized name for excellence in engineering, but encompasses much mor than that. My University affords me the opportunity to succeed when my environment does not. It is my safe haven from poverty and despair and sets me on an equal and competitive playing field where my mind is interactively and consistently engaged.

Dear Prospective Students and Parents: This is a simple suggestion guide, created by Saba S. Mohammed to assist you in your college search in order to maximize your college experience. When selecting a college or university start your search with colleges you know will enhance and reinforce your current interests while simultaneously affording you the opportunity to expand on subjects you never seriously entertained as possible curriculum. Open your mind to the selection process. Do not rely on the name of the school alone as a decision sounding board by assuming the name of your college; alone; will provide for your academic needs, but rather make sure that your ?well-known? selection will be the institution that fulfills your academic hunger and entertains or quenches your personal interests. There is no sense in selecting anything based on prestige alone. It is important to remember a name is only as good as you individually perceive it, so make sure your perception is not clouded, influenced or rose-colored. The truth of the matter is this is your FIRST, REAL, DECISION and should be made without pressure...period; after all you will be the one going to class everyday. Best regards, Saba

I have yet to experience the "worst thing" about my school. I do not beleive many people can claim this fact about their higher learning experience as I can about mine.

Charles

My school is best known for being a commuter college where workers can study and work.

Look up the academic programs. If your young student knows what he or she wants to major in, check and see how many professors teach in that subject. More professors means that more classes will be available and your son or daughter will have an easier time finding the classes that he or she wants and needs.

That I should apply more for campus jobs. Many of the on-campus jobs give tuition remission and they are all great jobs.

Gerardo

Look into what you're getting yourself into. Make sure they have the programs you want even if you start off undecided. The more options you have the easier it is to decide what you are doing. There is nothing tougher than being a student with so much pressure put on you to pick a major! Find information about the professors that you may have. The more information you have about the professors the more knowledge you have about what kind of an education you will recieve. While your in college dont let yourself down , always make the most of every class and dont think about the negative aspects of it or how much time your losing with your friends. In the end you will appreciate the time put into school because the feeling that you get when you will finish nobody will be able to take away from you. Having a degree is having something alot of people do not have. This is your time to make a difference and may be the only chance you get. This is when you should be trying harder than anything this is when you can show off your talent this is college.

the worst thing about our campus is that it is difficult to schedule certain classes because they are usually booked pretty quick because classes that are major specific are not available all the time.

That it is close to home and very friendly. Everyone is willing to help and the professors have real life experience and that gives you a better understanding of the job you may be in

Thomas

the advise that i would give in finding the right college for you is first, if it has your course of study. second, if you like big schools or small local schools.

a good student should attend this school.

I like to brag about how strong i am and how good at baseball i am.

A child has only one chance to be in college, if they know what they want to be and they are going to work on being sucessfull in that job, then they should go to the college they want to. Money is a sevre problem with college but if they want to go to a more expensive college, sometimes that means job placement is better and paying off loans wont be as bad as you thought. WIthout the true college experience at the college of their dreams they will always think what if. So choose the college you want to go to, and I mean dream about going to, apply, and go! If you do not you will always regret not taking that chance, money or not, this is a once in a lifetime freeing experience, and every child that wants to go to college should have the chance to go to the one of their dreams. The money will come later, but if they are a smart kid with a set path then the deserve to go to a college that is going to challenge them and make them happy. If not whats the point in going?

That I still live at home and can not have the experience I want at the school I want to go to, that is why I am trying to transfer to Columbia College in Chicago to folllow my dream, but financial aid is limitied and I need all the help I can get to fulfill my dream.

Paula

My classmates are friendly and allow voices and opinions to be heard.

My classmates are friendly and allow voices and opinions to be heard.

My advice would go around to colleges that offer what you are interested in or might be interested in. Get a feel of the campus and talk to people who have been in college. Some of the people can be a little older then you and some older then you. This gives you ideas and experiences from others. Follow your heart and take into account cost and distance. Go wherever makes you happy because to go somewhere you don't want to go can be a heavy regret.

The size of professor to class size is important to me. I like to have more focused attention so that if I can not understand something that it would be accessible for me to speak in class and get into contact with him or her.

Purdue University Calumet is very diverse. At new student orientation I felt very welcomed and accepted. Everyone there was ready and willing to help you out when needed. The classes are very small, and I find it easier to get help from the professors when there are only 20 to 30 students in a class. I did not consider any other schools other than Purdue. It was a great choice.

I would begin by telling the students don't just choose a college your friends are attending, choose one that you feel you can become successful in. Look into the colleges that offer those extra-curricular activities that you are interested in, the job-placement numbers, and by all means the services they offer such as tutoring, counseling etc. As far as the parents go, you should never try and push your son or daughter into attending a college they don't want to attend. They are transitioning into adults, you are not going to make their decisions for the rest of their life. This is a decision they must make on their own, they will need advice along their journey and who else better to give that to them is you, the parents. College is a journey you can go for 2 years, 4 years, 5 years, or even 10 years, but how you spend that time is entirely up to you. Make the most of your time wherever you go. Make friends, have fun, and most of all gain the knowledge and experience that you will be using 10, 20, or 30 years from now.

Actually, everything was explained to me at new student orientation. Such as extra-curricular activities, tutoring, the fitness center, and any and everything you could think of was covered at new student orientation.

Purdue University-Calumet Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.