Hammond, IN
Purdue University-Calumet Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Purdue University-Calumet Campus

Lena

The advice I would give myself back in time as a high school student, start college immediately after graduating. In doing this, there will be more swiftness and adequate information with assignment. The sooner the better!

A person who is focus, driven and sure of what they want with their life and success.

I do not brag about the school to friends or to others. I only state that Purdue is a good school with quality and potential individuals.

Eric

My classmates are intelligent people who are very helpful and reliable when you need them. We usually form study groups and help each other out if one of us isn't understanding the material very well.

If I were to go back in time, I would have a lot to tell myself about college. First off, I would tell myself that I need to form study habits because college is nothing like high school. For me, high school was easy and I didn't have to study that much which hurt me now becasue I don't have the neccessary study habits in order to feel prepared for exams. I would also tell myself that even though baseball is important to me, my education is what is going to benefit me in my future. With that being said I would tell my past self to go down to the main campus because there will be more social events and I can focus on my education better instead of having to worry about getting to practice and making sure my class schedule is set up to not interfere with my baseball schedule. Playing a sport in college was a great experience for me but there comes a time when I have to hang up my cleats and worry about my studies because that is what will help me live a better life in the future.

I brag to my friends most about that I am receiving a Purdue education for way less money than it would be to go down to the main campus. The academic is still challenging but the cost to go here is less than it was to go to my high school.

Jenica

Do not procrastinate and plan, plan, plan. If you plan your educational career while you are a freshman there will be no surprises down the road.

Each department varies in thier effectiveness as an educational institute. Some departments are better than others.

All people are welcome at Purdue University Calumet

James

My peers are pretty cool, we all know how to have fun, but the the job done.

My peers are pretty cool, we all know how to have fun, but the the job done.

I would begin off saying you should have done a little better in high school instead of slacked off. That who you are now, is not the person you turn out to be. That further down the road your life will change and you will make a change in other people's life. Don't give up just yet and keep pushing!

When I talk about my school, I bring up the amazing people that I meet. I also, talk about the hands on expierence I get when working inside my classes. Everyone is nice when you go to class and they are there to help you out.

Michell

It is well-known university with quality education with a culturally diverse staff and student body. The campus is the right size where everything is accessable within a short distance. The professors and instructors are all helpful and good people with thier students in their best interest.

Reflecting back to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to keep pushing forward and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I would also tell myself that college is very different from high school and my studying tactics need to be improved. College is not that bad once you get used to it and see how well your hard work pays off. There will be new friends to be made and the past experiences will no longer matter. The harder you work in class the more rewarding the outcome will be. I would also tell myself to follow your dreams and do not listen to what others tell you about which major to choose. The decision ultimately comes down to you, even if you change your mind half way through the semester. It will take some time and hard work but you will get there. Participate in as many volunteering opportunities as possible and take advantage of all the resources on campus. Do not be afraid to ask for help when needed because chances are someone else is having a similiar problem. Lastly, I would tell myself to stock up on coffee.

Cammy

The advice I would give to my younger self would be to complete all my desired education when I am young. I have been working as a nurse for the last 17 years, and have recently decided to return to pursue my DNP for midwifery. "Hindsight is 20/20" is the most appropriate phrase for my situation now. Looking back at myself then, I would definitely encourage myself (or any young person) to go all the way with their education before they have all of the other "life obligations" to tie them down, like family, marriage, and a full time job.

Since I have not yet started classes with Purdue Calumet, I would be unable to answer this question.

Bethany

Purdue University Calumet is a good university that will give a student a lot of bang for their buck.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry so much. My last year of high school was not very fun, mostly because I was so stressed out over petty, high school things, like dumb boys and drama in my friend group. I would tell myself to just take it easy and to start loving myself more. I can tell how much I've grown since I have come to college, and it amazes me how immature I was, even as a high school senior. I would also tell my younger self to budget better and to learn how to cook more. I am a good baker, but a mediocre chef, so I have to subsist on Mac N' Cheese on my busy days. Learning how to cook when I still had my mother as a guide would have made somethings much easier now, where I am stuck in my dorm (which has a kitchen - score!).

There are two things that stand out to me about Purdue University Calumet. The main thing is the beauty of the campus and the design of it's "Peregrine Path," that connects all the main buildings with an inside walkway - definitely a bonus in the winter! The other thing is its size; PUC is a smaller size, which means that you can get help from a professor fairly easily.

My classmates are usually very involved in classroom activities and seem to want to do nothing but get everything they can out of each class.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself this: Rachel, you need to focus only on you. You have the grades and the brains to get where you want. Don't give up on your dreams, they have gotten you this far, right? Money is going to be tight regardless of where you choose to go to school. You should go away, get out of town and see what it is like to be independent, for the most part. You are a strong-willed girl and you can do it. I am not saying it is going to be the easiest thing, but you can and will succeed. You know that mom and dad believe in you and so does the rest of your family. You need to believe in yourself and that will be the hardest thing for you to do. Stay strong and keep your head high. Whatever you choose to do will be the best because you know how to get through everything. It will get rough and rocky, but stay steady. Your steadiness will keep you sane. Don't forget to believe in yourself.

The best thing, for me, about Purdue Cal is the fact that it is close to home. I am able to work and go to school without it affecting my family life too much.

LaJenne

Dear 17 year old LaJenné, You need to take the time to weigh out your school options. If you haven't started applying for scholarships, which you probably haven't, you need to start right now. Don't miss out on your dream college experience because your parents can't afford it. Also, you know that African-American history is your passion, so do everything you can to read as much scholarship on the field starting now. If you begin your reading now, you'll be ahead of your peers by a long-shot. You are smart, don't let the complex language steer you away. The more you read, the more you'll understand the terms. Lastly, write and read ferociously, but read more than you write. There are so many conferences available for young undergraduates with a passion for knowledge, the only thing that seperates those who succeed in those endeavors and those who fail, is the simple fact that many just aren't well read and rely too much on assumption. Be better and your academic life and CV will look that much better. Oh, yea! Heads up. You're going to graduate school. Sincerely, You.

I don't think there is enough emphasis on research internships for students in the humanities programs. There is an overwhelming focus on STEM fields and enforcing their connections and networks; however, English, History, Political Science, Economics, etc. often get the short end of the stick.

People that aren't ok with a commuter campus probably wouldn't fare well here. You have to actively seek out communities to feel the same sense of community and college spirit that you would find at the home institution like Purdue in West Lafayette.

Toni

The students there are Awesome!!! Very educated and informative about the campus.

I am interested in various academic programs, currently I am interested in Softball, Biology.

Purdue University-Calumet Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.