Hammond, IN
Purdue University-Calumet Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Purdue University-Calumet Campus

Kaitlyn

I would tell myself to join more campus activities and study harder.

one thing that i consider to be the worst thing about my school is the lack of school spirit. One thing that i really feel is the most important about the college experience is school spirit. It is a way that students bond with eachother and make new friendships. Also it is a good way for other to know about the school you attend and it shows that you are proud of where you go, and want people to know. A majority of campus activities invovle having school spirit.

labresha

Some advice I woudl give to myself is take high school more serious and appreciate all the extentions and extra time you have on your work because as soon as its time for college, all that is over. Growing up and being responsible at all times is a must. Because you dont want to sabatoge your grades because you have gotten so comfortable with taking your time on things that you have became lazy. But dont stress yourself out just enjoy it as your moving along.

Out of state fees. I understand that after FASFA helps students out and loans if needed helps students out as well, but at then same time if that is the case then what happens if someone uses F.A. and loans and they still have a remaining balance left. School shouldnt be so expensive to where someone has to dropout or do a withdrawal from a class because of a cost. Everyone needs certain levels of education for certain jobs, and if they cant proceed to get there education how far could someone go without the education?

I would recommend that every person that is trying to find a university or looking to transfer in the mid-west should attend this school because its not too big & school shows that they dishonor cheating and plagarizing. A person i would not recommend to come to my school is someone that doesnt take school seriously or to waste time and not handle business. I would kind of say they are strict on showing up to class and participating just because they say since we are in college we are old enough to except responsiblity for our own actions.

Miranda

If I could give my former self advice about college life, I would tell her five things. 1)You are doing a great job at maintaining a 3.0 GPA, which says a lot about you since you are pursing higher education without any support of your family, but you have the potential to attain academic honors. So push yourself harder. 2) Starting today, set aside two weeks each semester to apply for scholarships. There are people who find joy in helping others reach their goals, so let them help you. 3) Join the American Political Science Association and the Chicago Historical Society so that you can meet people who are doing what you only see in your dreams. They would love to meet you. 4) Build relationships with your professors and allow them to get to know you. Trust me; they care more about your future than your past. 5) Go with the flow of life. You are a planner and a very goal oriented young woman. But sometimes life will take you on a whim. Don't fight it, let go and see where the ride takes you. When it stops, your schedule will still be there.

Before I attended Purdue University Calumet, I wish I had known that there was not an active student life experience for the student population. Because it is a commuter campus, a lot of the students were older, had families, or had full time jobs so it was difficult to convince students to attend the events that were being held around campus. This made it very challenging for me to network and create meaningful connections with others, especially since I moved here from another state.

The worst thing about my school is the low retention rate among minority students. Every semester I had to make new friends because my previous acquaintances would drop out of the university. I was so passionate about this issue as an undergraduate that I completed and presented research through the Ronald E. McNair program to bring special attention to it. I also created a summer bridge program similar to one that I had attended at UIC for at risk students at Purdue, but the proposal that I presented during meetings with several campus offices unfortunately fell on deaf ears.

Kadesha

Purdue is a very academic based school. The students and falcutly here work extreamly hard to adhere to the campus rules and policies. The learning environment here is very warming and comfortable and everybody is on the same page as far as getting an education. Education is one of the most important part about Purdue. If students struggles there are many resources on campus to help students imporve.

Knowing what I know now about college I would give myself plenty of advice going back to my senior year of high school. What would I tell myself? College is very important if you want to succeed in life. You have to be mentally prepared to put forth all the effort that it takes to succeed in college. Working hard and studying is key to success in college. Never be afraid to ask for additional help from professors, tutors, or even your fellow classmates. There are people who actually want to help, and those are the people who care about your education, however no one should care about your education more than yourself. The atmosphere in college is very welcoming. It’s like everyone around you wants to succeed in life so the motivation is always there. Always keep up with assignments and never fall behind, never wait until the last minute to complete an assignment. College is fun, college is great. It’s up to you how you make your college experience turn out to be. I encourage you to do well.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that Purude Calumet do not offer much money to the students for them to attend here. My tuition is very expensive because I am an out of state resident. I lived in the University Village my freshman year and had to move out at the end of the semester because I could not afford it. I was interested in moving back into the dorms, but I did not have enough aid to cover it. I am now paying out of pocket to cover my remaining tuition balance.

Izzy

I know that it's big step for you to go to college. You are going to be the only person in your family to graduate high school, so going to college is a pretty big deal. I want to start by telling you that student loans are not free money. You're going to start paying them back when you're done with school and it's going to be a lot of money. Only take what you absolutely need. When you sign up for classes, be sure to only sign up for what you can handle. You'll have to work full time while going to school since you don't have anyone to support you. If you sign up for classes and fail or drop them later, not only did you waste your money, but you will have wasted time that you could have been earning a living. School will be there and even if it takes you ten years to finish, you'll still have a degree to be proud of. Everything else will be ok. Mistakes will be made, hearts will be broken and you will be dissapointed. March ahead, more enlightened than before.

I believe the best thing about my school is that it feels very small. The campus itself is pretty large and spans several miles if you include all of the buildings associated with the school. Yet the faculty, staff and students give it a feeling of a small neighborhood school. I feel comfortable speaking to my professors and know that they will respect me as person. There is a level of personal attention that cannot be found at other schools.

All types of people should attend Purdue Calumet. There is something at this school for everyone and it's important to find your own nook. There are a lot of opportunities for people to mingle with a very diverse population of students. There are people from all over the world that travel to this campus and in many classrooms, you can find people of all ages. This campus is extremely open and accomodating to students of all needs.

Patrice

My classmates are very focused and serious.

My classmates are very focused and serious.

If I were to talk to myself when I was an high school senior, I would stress to myself that I need to finish out strong. Finishing with a higher GPA would open up more doors for me to get into many schools. In addition, I would tell myself that I should study for the SAT. Alot of colleges has a set number of those scores and if I were to have a high one, that would most definately make applying for colleges much easier for me. In all honesty, I would tell myself to get it together and not let my chances of being a successful student go to waste. Staying focused and having my head straight for what I want to do for my future is what I want for myself.

I brag more about our women's basketball team more than anything. Also about graduating with a Purdue degree for a lower cost.

My school is, in my opinion, an excellent school that has already pushed me to be the best I can be; I don't see myself anywhere else because Purdue is perfect for me.

My school is best known for its incredible nursing program and engineering program.

Today I would tell my high school self that college is not nearly as scary as it was made out to be, the other students and the staff make you feel at home and you'll feel like a boilmaker on the very first day! Staying close to home was a great idea, but having your own space is amazing! There are no regrets with choosing Purdue University Calumet, it's a life changing experience!

jonathan

I would simply tell myself, to keep moving forward and never ever ever give up. There'll be hard times and tough times, but there's always a flip side, just keep a level head and be thankful for what you got always. And in the end we'll be all the better for it, redemption shall be soon.

Everything is a learning experience, and thus we learn as we move forward. Everything we understand is a result of what we encounter, and so me learn and adapt as we go forward.

There is no worst thing about my school, you have to take the good with the bad.

Friendships made here can last forever. There are a variety of faculty members who really care about you.

To really think about what I would want to do in life. Jumping from major to major has cost a lot of time and money.

The amount of money I spend on classes and books.

My classmates show me new ways and ideas of thinking and working and they also help me understand work material and other peoples point of views.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would have told myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible because you might lose some and unexpected payments may pop up. Also, to work very hard because things change all the time.

I wish I knew how much books would cost me before I came to Purdue.

Purdue University-Calumet Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.