Hammond, IN
Purdue University-Calumet Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Purdue University-Calumet Campus

Danielle

A place for people who want a practical career.

A place for people who want a practical career.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to be patient. College is difficult and that is okay.

I would suggest this school for a non-traditional student.

Chaya

My classmates are similiar to myself in that they are unsure about the future, hopeful they will choose a major that will help them start a career instead of working paycheck to paycheck and seeking someone or something to guide them in the right direction.

If I were allowed to speak to myself as a high school student I would say to be bold, take advantage of every opportunity presented and participate in as many clubs or activities as possible. I would remind myself to not make decisions based on what my peers may say and to embrace the attributes that make me different. I would tell myself to sit at a different lunch table every week and become friends with people who are different from me. I would remind myself that my parents are not the enemy and the advice they give is valuable because they want me to learn from their mistakes without having to make so many of my own. I would tell myself to complete every assignment and extra credit opportunity because they are assigned to help you grow and learn not just earn a grade. I would say to do things that make you happy and make decisions that you can be proud of. Most importantly, I would tell myself to seek God in everything that I do and if he is not there, I shouldn't be either.

I wish I had know what my true interests and passions were before I started school. Every class I've taken has shown me a different perspective on life and through that I've learn more about myself (likes and dislikes included) in the last 2 years than I've learned my whole life.

Jacqueline M

Purdue Calumet Nursing students are a montley crew of ages, races, and religions, the cream of the crop, type A personalities...

If I could travel back in time to speak to myself as a high school senior about college I would say, "You are about to do something that will change you forever, yet never fear because it will be in the best possible way." You will become greater than you ever imagined you could be. This change will be hard, yet you will have your self, an asset whose value you will soon find out. You are about to embark on an adventure, where the monsters are your short comings and the road is invisible. When you begin to feel like you aren't going to make it, reach out. Help will be all around you. Never give up. When you do feel like it, remember that time is going to pass no matter what. The only option you have is whether time will use you or you will use time. Use time to gain the power through knowledge to be in control of your life. You will gain knowledge that will make you a valuable asset to yourself and the world. After all, education is a treasure that can never be stolen.

I brag most about being a Joanna Briggs center for evidence based pracite. Due to this, I am being taught in accordance to the most recent scientific studies onthe best practices in patient care. I tell others that out of all their offered courses of study, the nursing program is the hardest to get into. That my professors are know nation wide for the work they do in the nursing field. That we are known for accepting nothing short of excellence.

Regardless of the obstacles you may face, giving up is not an option. It is important to manage your time effectively and not fall behind. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it, people are here to help you. Be sure to stay focused, it is easy to get distracted. These four years are essential for the rest of your life. You will discover things about yourself, people, and the world, don't let these years be a waste! This is not high school anymore, no one is going to hold your hand and remind you when things are due. It's time to become responsible and mature. Most importantly, always remember, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Expect the unexpected! You are in control of your destiny. There is no such thing as success without failure, failure is giving up! The ONLY things you can't do are the things you don't start.

My school is close to my home.

Mayra

The best thing about my school is that you can always find help academiclly whether is tutoring, in the library , the professors or even the students in general.

What I wish I would of know before is other different sources of financial aid other then just loans.

Alicia

At Purdue University-Calumet, one can find a laid-back yet competetive atmosphere, knowledgeable and helpful professors and staff, competetively priced and engaging courses, and students that are driven to succeed.

You want to be a teacher. Now that you know what you want to be, I suggest you start college soon after high school graduation. If you wait too long, you will be getting married and starting your own family during your college years. College will be much easier without two children, daycare costs, and a home to maintain. Live with your parents while finishing college. Work as a tutor or supplemental instructor at the school. Not only will it be great to put on your resume one day, but it will give you invaluable experience. Take college seriously. Work hard and study. You are a very smart girl, and can easily make your way to a 4.0 gpa and the Dean's List if you put in the effort. Forget everything you learned about writing papers in high school. The first paragraph of every paper does not need to include the words all, most, and some. Words like very, quite, and really will get crossed out with a red pen. Get used to researching. You will be doing a lot of it, and will come to enjoy it. Remember, boys and partying are not important. Good luck!

The worst thing about Purdue University-Calumet is the area where it is located. Hammond, Indiana is not a town one would consider as safe. I often receive emails, from the campus police, about crime around the campus. I have received emails about students getting robbed in the parking lot, possible homes close to the school that may contain gang members, and this last semester, about a man exposing himself to unsuspecting females sitting in their cars in the Purdue parking lot. Although these incidents have occurred at or near Purdue, I usually feel safe going to my classes.

Purdue Univerisity Calumet is centered around all of the major mills of NorthWest Indiana. Because of this fact, I think that Purdue gives many people a better opportunity for education and in life rather than just getting out of high school and getting into one of the mills or factories. Also because of the area Purdue Calumet is located in there is a major emphasis on engineering.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self about college, the first thing I would say is to stop procrastinating. Time will continue to move forward even if you do not want it to. The next thing I would tell myself is that college is so much better than you thought it would be and everything you thought about yourself in high school is nothing compared to the amazing individual you are working toward becoming for the future.

The kind of person that should attend this school should be a hard working person who wants to better their life through education.

My classmates are a very diverse group of individuals willing to work together for a common goal: SUCCESS. I have encounter great people that had become part of my life for the last year and established frienships to last a life time.

Utilize all the resources available to high scholl seniors to assist you in defining your career choices. It is an advantage to begin college and be able to take the classes that are really needed. This will save you time and money. In addition, it is important to make an effort to maintain focused on the main reason why you are attending college. As a freshman, it is easy to deviate from your goals and get trapped in experiencing the freedom of being a college student. It is acceptable to combine studies with entertainment, but do not let the fun take over your studies. Adapting good study habits and organizational skills during the junior and senior years of High school will also help you tremendeously in college. Prepare yourself to be self-directed and independent with all your classes and your assignments. Most of the knowledge will depend on your own dedication, study and research.

A Purdue University student must be a dedicated student eager to learn and maintain high standars of education. The school offers all the necessary tools to assist you in reaching your goals and succeeding. However, it is the student who chooses to take advantage of the opportunities for learning. Those that opt to put studying aside won't be able to pass and maintain a good GPA. The school is culturally diverse which makes the campus an incredible place to meet people. Student activities are always fun. Athletes also find at Purdue a great place to combine sports and studies.

Katherine

The difference is that the nursing program allowed me to apply for it directly out of high school and get accepted immediately unlike other colleges where you attend and you may or may not get into the program. Getting accepted into the program directly out of high school as well as receiving a Purdue University degree upon graduating will allow me opportunities to apply for jobs and get chosen over someone else and advance my career further.

Stay commited! A quote that has stuck with me since I started as a freshmen. "Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." Throughout college you're going to have your ups and downs along with your achievements and disappointments. Stay focused on the outcome and the better life you're working towards during your college career. You're going to have days where you don't want to go to class, not want to study, quit school all together, and whine and moan about how hard it is. College is a life investment for your furture self, all those long hours of studying, writing papers and lectures will be worth it. Another piece of advice equally important is making time for yourself. School work is important yes, but college is also about making friendships and growing as a person. Things can get hectic and crazy during the next 4 years, make sure to have at least one person if not more you can confide in to help you along the way. At Purdue University Calumet, YOU'RE NOT ALONE!

Personally, the professors in the nursing department are the best thing about my school. They have time and time again shown nothing but dedication to making sure we not only recieve the right and most up to date information but understand it as well. They are suportive and have continued to support us from day one upon entering the program and classroom. I would not be graduating from this establishment this fall if it were not for the professors hard work and dedication to helping me achieve my goals as well as graduate.

Teage

Just keep going. In the beginning you are going to be completely anxious, just keep going. You will be in unfamiliar areas, just keep going. As soon as you feel comfortable you will have to move on, just keep going. Sometimes decisions will not have the intended results, just keep going. There will be moments when you feel lost, just keep going. It will feel like the state of flux is never ending, just keep going. You will feel like you worked so hard for nearly nothing, just keep going. There will be times when you want to give up, just keep going. There will be time that you do give up, you must regroup and just keep going. Eventually you will make it and everything will fall into place. You have to just keep going.

I just transferred to Purdue University-Calumet. I have been working with administration to get prepared for the fall semester. Although very helpful it seems that they can be unorganized. I have had difficulty with financial aid, scholarship applications, and registration. The confusion has lost me numerous hours.

Purdue University-Calumet Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.