Hammond, IN
Purdue University-Calumet Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Purdue University-Calumet Campus

Teage

Just keep going. In the beginning you are going to be completely anxious, just keep going. You will be in unfamiliar areas, just keep going. As soon as you feel comfortable you will have to move on, just keep going. Sometimes decisions will not have the intended results, just keep going. There will be moments when you feel lost, just keep going. It will feel like the state of flux is never ending, just keep going. You will feel like you worked so hard for nearly nothing, just keep going. There will be times when you want to give up, just keep going. There will be time that you do give up, you must regroup and just keep going. Eventually you will make it and everything will fall into place. You have to just keep going.

I just transferred to Purdue University-Calumet. I have been working with administration to get prepared for the fall semester. Although very helpful it seems that they can be unorganized. I have had difficulty with financial aid, scholarship applications, and registration. The confusion has lost me numerous hours.

Janel

My best advice to myself as a high school senior would be to work hard. So many times I can remember cramming for a test, only to forget the information once the exam was over. College is a building block and it is so much easier to apply the knowledge you have learned when you actually learn it for life instead of learning it for a day. It is important to work hard in other areas too. Be diverse, immerse yourself in the community, become a part of the campus life. You are there for 4 years, so give to the community that you are a part of for this short time. Volunteer and give to those that need help, whether it is mentoring other students or building playgrounds for kids, it opens your heart and mind to new information and social connections. Remember to have fun. College is meant to be a learning experience not just for academics, but for learning how to get along with people that you would not have normally come into contact with. Your college experience will open doors, so recognize all the possibilities that are there for you.

Purdue-Cal offers a great learning experience for a diverse population. Their counselor are available to help with every step of the process. I have a career assistance person call me once a month to see if I am on track and if there is anything he can do to help me. I find that very comforting since college is a daunting experience, no matter what age you are. The professors are accomodating with schedules and classwork.

Probably the worst thing about school is having to juggle all the coursework with my other obligations to family, work, and community while trying to maintain a social life. I am returning to school after a few years of being in the workforce and it has proven to be a challenge for me to be my best in all areas of my life.

Alyssa

Purdue University Calumet is a well genuine school that offers the most education while also offering fun and various activities.

From my own perspective as a student from Purdue University Calumet, the classmates I have been aquainted with in my courses are all different from one another, coming from various nationalities/backgrounds with different majors on their minds.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would simply say entering and experiencing college is not as stressful as others make it to be. As a high school senior, it can be taunting to wonder what the next step will be after graduating high school. Of course, the most obvious answer to that concept would be college. But where to start? How to pay for courses? What major will be decided while enrolled in college? All of those stressful questions could be answered even before stepping into college. There will definitely be other students who are just as nervous. However, those feelings of being nervous and "out of place" will soon wash away with the help of academic advisors, professors, and even other classmates. While high school and college can be both similar and different at the same time, it is the goal of gaining knowledge and moving up the ladder that makes every single aspect of enrolling in college all the better. Being a current college freshman has opened my eyes to what I have already accomplished, and will accomplish along the years.

amanda

I would tell myself to stay focused on my studies and not worry what others think of you. Gain confidence within yourself and know that you can achieve your goal. Nothing is impossible and the grass is green on the other side. Stay prayed up and focus on God leading you to your goals and accomplished what you came here for.

someone who is not focused on actually moving on in life to succeed. Someone who only wants to party and waste money. A person who does not want to obtain a degree but only needs something to do.

Darren

Purdue campuses in general are known for their Engineering degrees.

Purdue campuses in general are known for their Engineering degrees.

Take your education seriously! There are many people who find themselves in unfulfilling careers, who did not take their education seriously enough to work hard at it, and either drop out or are administratively removed for unsatisfactory performance. The great Blues artist B.B. King stated, "An education is something that nobody can take away from you," and I wholeheartedly agree. Never give up when classes get difficult, there are people there to help. Our society is getting to the point where people are going to need a degree to work for a minimum wage job, and the higher you can go in your education, the better off you will be.

That it is a campus with a lot of students who are willing to help and preofessors who are sociable.

Shaunte

As a senior high school student there are many changes that I should have made. If I could go back and change something’s, I would have first graduated with a better GPA. Before I went to Purdue Calumet I had to begin at a Community College because my high school grades were awful. I had horrible study habits and I was not saving any money for college. I would first started by saving my money towards college so I could have afforded my books, and tuition. Because GPA is everything in college, I would have aimed for the highest GPA possible instead of "just passing the class". I never realize that test taking skills as well as your GPA is vital when it comes to entering into your program of study. In high school I absolutely hated science, not realizing that if would have work for an A instead of a “just passing score” in biology that I would have been exempt from college biology. In college just passing isn’t enough, and because of this attitude I had to retake this same biology class in college. In college just passing isn’t enough, but dedication and commitment is.

As a Purdue Calumet student I feel honored and pleased with my school Purdue University Calumet. There are a million different reasons why I prefer Purdue verse other schools but my time is limited. The best thing about Purdue is that the teachers and students are caring and experienced. There are many different organizations to join regarding your major and if you join it'll go on your transcript to help you get a job, the classroom size is small, free tutoring, your teachers give you more than enough time to study for an exam, and lastly, it is affordable.

As well as their pros there are cons. The worst thing about Purdue is the parking. Morning parking is bearable but anything after ten, the parking lot becomes very full which makes it complicated for students to get to class on time. Another thing that I dislike is that it is a long walk between classes. Some classes may even require you to drive to them because the classes may be a streets apart from one another. I've only seen the shuttle bus once since I have been there, therefore I’m not sure what hours they run.

Raynard

Purdue University Calumet is a school that is not only unique but it is also very personalized. At Purdue Calumet, you are definitely not a statistic. You are very important and an intrical part of the school.

I would tell myself many things. First of all, I wouldnt tell myself to be so cocky because cockiness in college is a huge detrriment. It is great to be confident but not taking college seriously because you think you can just breeze by is not called for. Secondly, I would tell my high school self to study, study, study. Studying is imperative it to success in college. You can not expect to succeed in college without diligent studying unless you are extremely smart or you utilize your classroom time to its full potential. Thirdly, I would tell my high school self to just be ready for the big transition. College and high school are very different. Even though at Purdue Calumet you are not a statistic, it is still less personalized than college. You have to keep track of all your stuff in college and you cannot expect reminders from professors.

I can not think of anything bad about Purdue Calumet.

Paige

My school has a welcoming atmosphere that makes me feel that I can succeed in all the activities I choose to pursue.

At first the transition from high school to college might seem like a big change, and for the most part it is. However, it gets better. Making new friends seems scary at first, but its a little easier when you participate in fun school activities. Indepedence is a hard thing to accept, especially since you have been under your parents' wings for the past 18 years. After the first couple weeks, you begin to enjoy the independence and accept that you are an adult now. Sometimes classes are tough, but don't sweat it. Professors are available during office hours outside of class, tutors are available to assist you in certain subjects, and you will build strong friendships to help maintain your general sanity when the going gets rough. In addition to studying and doing your homework though, you should concentrate also on having fun and enjoying the college experience. Join some clubs, make new friends, and ultimately have a good time!

At first I was very apprehensive about experience life on my own. I wish I would have known how kind and welcoming the people were there. I also wish I knew how easy the professors would be to talk to. If I had known that the classes became more interesting after freshmen year, I wouldn't have made such a big deal about them. There were plenty of times this year that I brought too much back to my dorm room and had to send some things back home. I wish I had known that!

Frances

The advice that I would give an incoming high school senior who is interested in attending college would be to stay motivated. College is a place where individuals from all walks of life, geoeconomical backgrounds, and gender stratification come to learn those skills and experiences that will help make them better citizens.

The concern I have about my school is what to do with an overload of student enrollment with accomodations that cannot suit the numbers.

The kind of person who should attend Purdue University Calumet is a student who is serious about his or eduation, understands that money spent on education is worth the sweat and tears of reading, writing, researching, engaging in group activities and asking questions to learn.

Lamia

I would tell myself stay focus and go straight to college and enjoy the experience of college life, enjoy the partying and studying because college is a great way to experience all of that and above. I would also tell myself to wait on the two kids that I have now, even though I love them, I think waiting until I had a career first would have been a better choice and less of a struggle.

I havent really had anything to brag about, just the fact that I'm going on 30 and decided to go back to school to become a nurse.

Purdue University-Calumet Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.