Purdue University-Calumet Campus Top Questions

I am back from spring break to tell you about what will the future be like yet to come. I want to say that it is smart you are taking one course for college credits. I understand that your GPA is not the best looking but in college I expect to raise that GPA. Just remeber just because you are going to college, you are still continuning your education. You will be distracted but do what all you can to do well in college. Good luck!

Assuming I could go back, I would tell myself not to slack off my first year here at Purdue. I did academically well my high school career, but as soon as I got to college i had no idea what I actually wanted to do with my life. I knew what other people wanted me to do with my life, so I took the path they had expected me too. However, my heart wasn't in it and I did slack a lot. Now my GPA suffers as I try and bring it back up to the potential I know I have. I would also tell myself to explore my options more. This would have given me a better understanding of what I actually wanted to do in my life instead of following other peoples' dream for me rather than my own.

Hugo

Knowing what I know about college. If I had the chance to back in time and give myself a heads up on what the future is instore. The one thing I would tell myself is "Stay Focus and Keep Motivated". I would say these would words because they are two key part for you to succeed in college. Stay focus is one because there are so many activities going on out of schooland in school that you can get lost, and if you dont manage your time right things will start to get overhelminmg for you. Keep motivated is the most important because you dont have people on your back motivating you any more. Make sure you always find ways to motivate yourself when thing start to get tough. So if time travel would ever happened that what i would tell my highschool self.

Dear High School Me, This is your future, more educated self with wise words of advice. Every grade in each class matters. Your grades will determine what scholarships that you are awarded and which colleges you can attend. With this being said, you care too much about grades and should focus on enjoying learning. It is much harder to enjoy learning in college than it was in high school. This is because more of the learning will fall on your shoulders and not so much on the professors' shoulders. Establish good relationships with your professors and show them that you take their class seriously. They will make themselves available to you whenever you need help understanding or comprehending material. Professors will also give you hints about what they are looking for on homework, quiz or test, if you go to them in person or email them. Learn as much as you can about what studying habits and note taking works most effectively for you, immediately. You will use these habits and skills throughout your whole college career. If you find yourself behind or not understanding material, go immediately to the professor or tutors on campus!! Just looking out for you!

I would go back and tell myself keep all the German notes you wrote because you'll need it. Once you get the confirmation to attend that oh so special college get on with the financial aid requirements! They are going to be the most important things to actually keep your classes intact. You're going to have a blast just keep your head up and be more confident. You will become a new person with many friends, you will do great trust me. You could have a job on campus if you keep it up. Some classes may seem difficult, but just remember you need the class in order to graduate on-time. You can do it! (PS. all those Dual Credit classes will pay off in the longer run) Have an awesome summer and be ready to dive head first into your new life! You'll be fine just don't get to ahead of yourself. Work hard and stay positive!

Susan

Study hard!! That's the main point. Also to get involved, the more involved you get, the more friends you make. Don't be scared of trying new things. You won't know if you like something new unless you try it out. Say no to all those credit card applications that get sent to all the new college students! They are so not worth it! Work hard, but make sure to save some time for "me time."

Nina

Well I moved half way through my senior year but I know that I wanted to go to Purdue. One of my friends offered her home to me to finish out my senior year but I didn't want to leave my parents just yet so I moved with them. We ended up move two states away to Wisconsin. However I didn't think about the move messing up my residency. So I lived in Indiana for 8 and a half years but since I graduated in Wisconsin i have to pay out of state fees. The real stinker is I was not considered a resident in Wisconsin haveing just moved there in January so there was no way i could get any residency prices at any College unless I waited, but I was worried if I waited to long I wouldn't want to go back, so I am paying the out of stater fee. So, in conclusion, if I were to met myself as a senior I would tell myself to take my friends offer and live with her because I just moved out 5 months later.

Niki

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would have to give myself a lot of advice about life. I would not necessarily try to force my younger self to choose a life path more hastily, but I would definitely try to push myself to at least graduate high school and maybe take some courses at a community college, so that I wouldn't fall so far behind. I don't really believe that anyone should try to decide what they're going to do for the rest of their lives when they're just finishing high school, but I know now that I would have definitely liked to have finished school and started college out on the right foot.

Lena

The advice I would give myself back in time as a high school student, start college immediately after graduating. In doing this, there will be more swiftness and adequate information with assignment. The sooner the better!

If I were to go back in time, I would have a lot to tell myself about college. First off, I would tell myself that I need to form study habits because college is nothing like high school. For me, high school was easy and I didn't have to study that much which hurt me now becasue I don't have the neccessary study habits in order to feel prepared for exams. I would also tell myself that even though baseball is important to me, my education is what is going to benefit me in my future. With that being said I would tell my past self to go down to the main campus because there will be more social events and I can focus on my education better instead of having to worry about getting to practice and making sure my class schedule is set up to not interfere with my baseball schedule. Playing a sport in college was a great experience for me but there comes a time when I have to hang up my cleats and worry about my studies because that is what will help me live a better life in the future.

Jenica

Do not procrastinate and plan, plan, plan. If you plan your educational career while you are a freshman there will be no surprises down the road.

I would begin off saying you should have done a little better in high school instead of slacked off. That who you are now, is not the person you turn out to be. That further down the road your life will change and you will make a change in other people's life. Don't give up just yet and keep pushing!

Michell

Reflecting back to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to keep pushing forward and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I would also tell myself that college is very different from high school and my studying tactics need to be improved. College is not that bad once you get used to it and see how well your hard work pays off. There will be new friends to be made and the past experiences will no longer matter. The harder you work in class the more rewarding the outcome will be. I would also tell myself to follow your dreams and do not listen to what others tell you about which major to choose. The decision ultimately comes down to you, even if you change your mind half way through the semester. It will take some time and hard work but you will get there. Participate in as many volunteering opportunities as possible and take advantage of all the resources on campus. Do not be afraid to ask for help when needed because chances are someone else is having a similiar problem. Lastly, I would tell myself to stock up on coffee.

Cammy

The advice I would give to my younger self would be to complete all my desired education when I am young. I have been working as a nurse for the last 17 years, and have recently decided to return to pursue my DNP for midwifery. "Hindsight is 20/20" is the most appropriate phrase for my situation now. Looking back at myself then, I would definitely encourage myself (or any young person) to go all the way with their education before they have all of the other "life obligations" to tie them down, like family, marriage, and a full time job.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry so much. My last year of high school was not very fun, mostly because I was so stressed out over petty, high school things, like dumb boys and drama in my friend group. I would tell myself to just take it easy and to start loving myself more. I can tell how much I've grown since I have come to college, and it amazes me how immature I was, even as a high school senior. I would also tell my younger self to budget better and to learn how to cook more. I am a good baker, but a mediocre chef, so I have to subsist on Mac N' Cheese on my busy days. Learning how to cook when I still had my mother as a guide would have made somethings much easier now, where I am stuck in my dorm (which has a kitchen - score!).

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself this: Rachel, you need to focus only on you. You have the grades and the brains to get where you want. Don't give up on your dreams, they have gotten you this far, right? Money is going to be tight regardless of where you choose to go to school. You should go away, get out of town and see what it is like to be independent, for the most part. You are a strong-willed girl and you can do it. I am not saying it is going to be the easiest thing, but you can and will succeed. You know that mom and dad believe in you and so does the rest of your family. You need to believe in yourself and that will be the hardest thing for you to do. Stay strong and keep your head high. Whatever you choose to do will be the best because you know how to get through everything. It will get rough and rocky, but stay steady. Your steadiness will keep you sane. Don't forget to believe in yourself.

LaJenne

Dear 17 year old LaJenné, You need to take the time to weigh out your school options. If you haven't started applying for scholarships, which you probably haven't, you need to start right now. Don't miss out on your dream college experience because your parents can't afford it. Also, you know that African-American history is your passion, so do everything you can to read as much scholarship on the field starting now. If you begin your reading now, you'll be ahead of your peers by a long-shot. You are smart, don't let the complex language steer you away. The more you read, the more you'll understand the terms. Lastly, write and read ferociously, but read more than you write. There are so many conferences available for young undergraduates with a passion for knowledge, the only thing that seperates those who succeed in those endeavors and those who fail, is the simple fact that many just aren't well read and rely too much on assumption. Be better and your academic life and CV will look that much better. Oh, yea! Heads up. You're going to graduate school. Sincerely, You.

Simone

I do not live with any regrets. I graduated with a 3.5 G.P.A and a 27 on my ACT, so I knew for the most part that college was going to be a lot more challenging. I was going in knowing that you have to be more independent. I wish I would've came to this school right after graduating high school, instead of transferring in because of stability reasons. I would tell myself to strive for greatness, never let personal situations break you down, but inspire you to achieve greatness and success. Let nothing or no one stand in the way of what is important to you, school. Stick to one thing and do not run when things get tough because a great career stems from hard work and dedication. Set higher goals for yourself and be confident, inside and out. Success is not achieved overnight, so work hard and do the best you can do. Also, challenge yourself to new things and ideas, broaden your horizons, be more engaged with everyone as much as possible, because everyone teaches you something.

I would tell myself to join more campus activities and study harder.

labresha

Some advice I woudl give to myself is take high school more serious and appreciate all the extentions and extra time you have on your work because as soon as its time for college, all that is over. Growing up and being responsible at all times is a must. Because you dont want to sabatoge your grades because you have gotten so comfortable with taking your time on things that you have became lazy. But dont stress yourself out just enjoy it as your moving along.

If I could give my former self advice about college life, I would tell her five things. 1)You are doing a great job at maintaining a 3.0 GPA, which says a lot about you since you are pursing higher education without any support of your family, but you have the potential to attain academic honors. So push yourself harder. 2) Starting today, set aside two weeks each semester to apply for scholarships. There are people who find joy in helping others reach their goals, so let them help you. 3) Join the American Political Science Association and the Chicago Historical Society so that you can meet people who are doing what you only see in your dreams. They would love to meet you. 4) Build relationships with your professors and allow them to get to know you. Trust me; they care more about your future than your past. 5) Go with the flow of life. You are a planner and a very goal oriented young woman. But sometimes life will take you on a whim. Don't fight it, let go and see where the ride takes you. When it stops, your schedule will still be there.

Kadesha

Knowing what I know now about college I would give myself plenty of advice going back to my senior year of high school. What would I tell myself? College is very important if you want to succeed in life. You have to be mentally prepared to put forth all the effort that it takes to succeed in college. Working hard and studying is key to success in college. Never be afraid to ask for additional help from professors, tutors, or even your fellow classmates. There are people who actually want to help, and those are the people who care about your education, however no one should care about your education more than yourself. The atmosphere in college is very welcoming. It’s like everyone around you wants to succeed in life so the motivation is always there. Always keep up with assignments and never fall behind, never wait until the last minute to complete an assignment. College is fun, college is great. It’s up to you how you make your college experience turn out to be. I encourage you to do well.

Izzy

I know that it's big step for you to go to college. You are going to be the only person in your family to graduate high school, so going to college is a pretty big deal. I want to start by telling you that student loans are not free money. You're going to start paying them back when you're done with school and it's going to be a lot of money. Only take what you absolutely need. When you sign up for classes, be sure to only sign up for what you can handle. You'll have to work full time while going to school since you don't have anyone to support you. If you sign up for classes and fail or drop them later, not only did you waste your money, but you will have wasted time that you could have been earning a living. School will be there and even if it takes you ten years to finish, you'll still have a degree to be proud of. Everything else will be ok. Mistakes will be made, hearts will be broken and you will be dissapointed. March ahead, more enlightened than before.

Patrice

If I were to talk to myself when I was an high school senior, I would stress to myself that I need to finish out strong. Finishing with a higher GPA would open up more doors for me to get into many schools. In addition, I would tell myself that I should study for the SAT. Alot of colleges has a set number of those scores and if I were to have a high one, that would most definately make applying for colleges much easier for me. In all honesty, I would tell myself to get it together and not let my chances of being a successful student go to waste. Staying focused and having my head straight for what I want to do for my future is what I want for myself.

Today I would tell my high school self that college is not nearly as scary as it was made out to be, the other students and the staff make you feel at home and you'll feel like a boilmaker on the very first day! Staying close to home was a great idea, but having your own space is amazing! There are no regrets with choosing Purdue University Calumet, it's a life changing experience!

jonathan

I would simply tell myself, to keep moving forward and never ever ever give up. There'll be hard times and tough times, but there's always a flip side, just keep a level head and be thankful for what you got always. And in the end we'll be all the better for it, redemption shall be soon.

To really think about what I would want to do in life. Jumping from major to major has cost a lot of time and money.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would have told myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible because you might lose some and unexpected payments may pop up. Also, to work very hard because things change all the time.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to be patient. College is difficult and that is okay.

Chaya

If I were allowed to speak to myself as a high school student I would say to be bold, take advantage of every opportunity presented and participate in as many clubs or activities as possible. I would remind myself to not make decisions based on what my peers may say and to embrace the attributes that make me different. I would tell myself to sit at a different lunch table every week and become friends with people who are different from me. I would remind myself that my parents are not the enemy and the advice they give is valuable because they want me to learn from their mistakes without having to make so many of my own. I would tell myself to complete every assignment and extra credit opportunity because they are assigned to help you grow and learn not just earn a grade. I would say to do things that make you happy and make decisions that you can be proud of. Most importantly, I would tell myself to seek God in everything that I do and if he is not there, I shouldn't be either.

Jacqueline M

If I could travel back in time to speak to myself as a high school senior about college I would say, "You are about to do something that will change you forever, yet never fear because it will be in the best possible way." You will become greater than you ever imagined you could be. This change will be hard, yet you will have your self, an asset whose value you will soon find out. You are about to embark on an adventure, where the monsters are your short comings and the road is invisible. When you begin to feel like you aren't going to make it, reach out. Help will be all around you. Never give up. When you do feel like it, remember that time is going to pass no matter what. The only option you have is whether time will use you or you will use time. Use time to gain the power through knowledge to be in control of your life. You will gain knowledge that will make you a valuable asset to yourself and the world. After all, education is a treasure that can never be stolen.

Regardless of the obstacles you may face, giving up is not an option. It is important to manage your time effectively and not fall behind. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it, people are here to help you. Be sure to stay focused, it is easy to get distracted. These four years are essential for the rest of your life. You will discover things about yourself, people, and the world, don't let these years be a waste! This is not high school anymore, no one is going to hold your hand and remind you when things are due. It's time to become responsible and mature. Most importantly, always remember, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Expect the unexpected! You are in control of your destiny. There is no such thing as success without failure, failure is giving up! The ONLY things you can't do are the things you don't start.

You want to be a teacher. Now that you know what you want to be, I suggest you start college soon after high school graduation. If you wait too long, you will be getting married and starting your own family during your college years. College will be much easier without two children, daycare costs, and a home to maintain. Live with your parents while finishing college. Work as a tutor or supplemental instructor at the school. Not only will it be great to put on your resume one day, but it will give you invaluable experience. Take college seriously. Work hard and study. You are a very smart girl, and can easily make your way to a 4.0 gpa and the Dean's List if you put in the effort. Forget everything you learned about writing papers in high school. The first paragraph of every paper does not need to include the words all, most, and some. Words like very, quite, and really will get crossed out with a red pen. Get used to researching. You will be doing a lot of it, and will come to enjoy it. Remember, boys and partying are not important. Good luck!

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self about college, the first thing I would say is to stop procrastinating. Time will continue to move forward even if you do not want it to. The next thing I would tell myself is that college is so much better than you thought it would be and everything you thought about yourself in high school is nothing compared to the amazing individual you are working toward becoming for the future.

Utilize all the resources available to high scholl seniors to assist you in defining your career choices. It is an advantage to begin college and be able to take the classes that are really needed. This will save you time and money. In addition, it is important to make an effort to maintain focused on the main reason why you are attending college. As a freshman, it is easy to deviate from your goals and get trapped in experiencing the freedom of being a college student. It is acceptable to combine studies with entertainment, but do not let the fun take over your studies. Adapting good study habits and organizational skills during the junior and senior years of High school will also help you tremendeously in college. Prepare yourself to be self-directed and independent with all your classes and your assignments. Most of the knowledge will depend on your own dedication, study and research.

Stay commited! A quote that has stuck with me since I started as a freshmen. "Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." Throughout college you're going to have your ups and downs along with your achievements and disappointments. Stay focused on the outcome and the better life you're working towards during your college career. You're going to have days where you don't want to go to class, not want to study, quit school all together, and whine and moan about how hard it is. College is a life investment for your furture self, all those long hours of studying, writing papers and lectures will be worth it. Another piece of advice equally important is making time for yourself. School work is important yes, but college is also about making friendships and growing as a person. Things can get hectic and crazy during the next 4 years, make sure to have at least one person if not more you can confide in to help you along the way. At Purdue University Calumet, YOU'RE NOT ALONE!

Teage

Just keep going. In the beginning you are going to be completely anxious, just keep going. You will be in unfamiliar areas, just keep going. As soon as you feel comfortable you will have to move on, just keep going. Sometimes decisions will not have the intended results, just keep going. There will be moments when you feel lost, just keep going. It will feel like the state of flux is never ending, just keep going. You will feel like you worked so hard for nearly nothing, just keep going. There will be times when you want to give up, just keep going. There will be time that you do give up, you must regroup and just keep going. Eventually you will make it and everything will fall into place. You have to just keep going.

Janel

My best advice to myself as a high school senior would be to work hard. So many times I can remember cramming for a test, only to forget the information once the exam was over. College is a building block and it is so much easier to apply the knowledge you have learned when you actually learn it for life instead of learning it for a day. It is important to work hard in other areas too. Be diverse, immerse yourself in the community, become a part of the campus life. You are there for 4 years, so give to the community that you are a part of for this short time. Volunteer and give to those that need help, whether it is mentoring other students or building playgrounds for kids, it opens your heart and mind to new information and social connections. Remember to have fun. College is meant to be a learning experience not just for academics, but for learning how to get along with people that you would not have normally come into contact with. Your college experience will open doors, so recognize all the possibilities that are there for you.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would simply say entering and experiencing college is not as stressful as others make it to be. As a high school senior, it can be taunting to wonder what the next step will be after graduating high school. Of course, the most obvious answer to that concept would be college. But where to start? How to pay for courses? What major will be decided while enrolled in college? All of those stressful questions could be answered even before stepping into college. There will definitely be other students who are just as nervous. However, those feelings of being nervous and "out of place" will soon wash away with the help of academic advisors, professors, and even other classmates. While high school and college can be both similar and different at the same time, it is the goal of gaining knowledge and moving up the ladder that makes every single aspect of enrolling in college all the better. Being a current college freshman has opened my eyes to what I have already accomplished, and will accomplish along the years.

amanda

I would tell myself to stay focused on my studies and not worry what others think of you. Gain confidence within yourself and know that you can achieve your goal. Nothing is impossible and the grass is green on the other side. Stay prayed up and focus on God leading you to your goals and accomplished what you came here for.

Darren

Take your education seriously! There are many people who find themselves in unfulfilling careers, who did not take their education seriously enough to work hard at it, and either drop out or are administratively removed for unsatisfactory performance. The great Blues artist B.B. King stated, "An education is something that nobody can take away from you," and I wholeheartedly agree. Never give up when classes get difficult, there are people there to help. Our society is getting to the point where people are going to need a degree to work for a minimum wage job, and the higher you can go in your education, the better off you will be.

Shaunte

As a senior high school student there are many changes that I should have made. If I could go back and change something’s, I would have first graduated with a better GPA. Before I went to Purdue Calumet I had to begin at a Community College because my high school grades were awful. I had horrible study habits and I was not saving any money for college. I would first started by saving my money towards college so I could have afforded my books, and tuition. Because GPA is everything in college, I would have aimed for the highest GPA possible instead of "just passing the class". I never realize that test taking skills as well as your GPA is vital when it comes to entering into your program of study. In high school I absolutely hated science, not realizing that if would have work for an A instead of a “just passing score” in biology that I would have been exempt from college biology. In college just passing isn’t enough, and because of this attitude I had to retake this same biology class in college. In college just passing isn’t enough, but dedication and commitment is.

Raynard

I would tell myself many things. First of all, I wouldnt tell myself to be so cocky because cockiness in college is a huge detrriment. It is great to be confident but not taking college seriously because you think you can just breeze by is not called for. Secondly, I would tell my high school self to study, study, study. Studying is imperative it to success in college. You can not expect to succeed in college without diligent studying unless you are extremely smart or you utilize your classroom time to its full potential. Thirdly, I would tell my high school self to just be ready for the big transition. College and high school are very different. Even though at Purdue Calumet you are not a statistic, it is still less personalized than college. You have to keep track of all your stuff in college and you cannot expect reminders from professors.

At first the transition from high school to college might seem like a big change, and for the most part it is. However, it gets better. Making new friends seems scary at first, but its a little easier when you participate in fun school activities. Indepedence is a hard thing to accept, especially since you have been under your parents' wings for the past 18 years. After the first couple weeks, you begin to enjoy the independence and accept that you are an adult now. Sometimes classes are tough, but don't sweat it. Professors are available during office hours outside of class, tutors are available to assist you in certain subjects, and you will build strong friendships to help maintain your general sanity when the going gets rough. In addition to studying and doing your homework though, you should concentrate also on having fun and enjoying the college experience. Join some clubs, make new friends, and ultimately have a good time!

Frances

The advice that I would give an incoming high school senior who is interested in attending college would be to stay motivated. College is a place where individuals from all walks of life, geoeconomical backgrounds, and gender stratification come to learn those skills and experiences that will help make them better citizens.

Lamia

I would tell myself stay focus and go straight to college and enjoy the experience of college life, enjoy the partying and studying because college is a great way to experience all of that and above. I would also tell myself to wait on the two kids that I have now, even though I love them, I think waiting until I had a career first would have been a better choice and less of a struggle.

Raynard

I would tell myself not to be so nervous about college because making the transition was not nearly as diffucult as I thought. However, I would tell myself to be ready to work hard and put a lot of effort, on a consistent basis.

lacey

If I could tell myself anything it would be not to stop. My oldest son in eight years old and I stopped college with the hopes to return when he was older and it would be easier. It does not get easier! Now that he is older I have to jugle his schedule and mine in order to study and go to class. As an infant it may have been more difficult to study when he was awake but it was managable. Now that he is older it is almost impossible because I just dont have the time or energy after doing his homework with him and making dinner. So my advice is never stop, it may seem hard now but as life goes on its only going to get harder.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT take a break from school! The best students have transfered just out of high school. It is so much easier to go while the information is fresh in your head, instead of having to re-learn all of it, why not just go while you are still young and have the knowledge. School is not as scary as you may make it out to be, it is actually very rewarding. Please don't be lazy and take a break inbetween high school and college, it will be one of the worst mistakes of your life. Going to college and making something out of yourself is the most important thing you can do for yourself and your family, so why put off the inevitable when you can just get it done now and get a head start on your future. You can do it, no matter what have faith in yourself and keep that faith, it will take you right where you need to go.

Jameka

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be more outgoing and less of an introvert. Although college has brought out the "extrovert" within me, having that quality before my college years would have boosted my confidence prior to the major transition into adulthood. If I could go back, I would tell myself that I can talk to anybody without feeling awkward and enjoy other's company; because in college, finding people like myself and those who are very different from me help me see everything in a different light and help me feel more comfortable talking to individuals (an important quality to have in life).