Purdue University-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Purdue University-Main Campus

Krista

I am unsure which option to choose because I attended Purdue University Global online. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, it gave me an opportunity to actually learn. I was unaware of the opportunities available to me to become extracurricular available, but was offered some grants when I ran out of funding through fasfa to complete my degree.

Nicolas

West Lafayette may not have the west coast California beaches or the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, but what it does have is Purdue. Purdue’s campus is exceptionally clean compared to other schools and has a very modern aesthetic to it (if that’s what you like). The campus itself is extremely large, and no, not every walk between classes is under ten minutes as they claim. However, there are always ways around those things. Bikes, scooters, skateboards and roller blades all have their own pathways separated from pedestrians to make back to back classes on time. The curriculum is tough, especially in the more competitive majors, so school must be the priority. However, despite the challenging course load, the large majority of professors are there to help you. If by the off chance you get a bad professor (there’s no escape, they’re at every school), then there are loads of tutoring opportunities and study groups available, all with easy access. Outside of the classroom, Purdue is home to just about every type of person you could imagine. Because it is such a large school, you might think it might be difficult to find your group of people, but if you take one look online to see the hundreds of student organizations there are, you will, without a doubt, find tons of people with shared interests. That is one of the biggest reasons why I personally chose Purdue. Once I saw that I could race go karts that go 60mph for fun and for free, I was sold. If you’re interested in Greek life, Purdue has you covered as well. Personally I can’t say much as I’m not involved with it, but I do know that it’s largely active on campus for those who want to partake. For those who don’t, no worries, as stated before there are plenty opportunities to get involved elsewhere and no one bats an eye. One thing that can’t be overlooked is Purdue’s tuition. It is by no means cheap, but it makes up for it with its job placement capabilities. Purdue hosts some of the biggest career fairs in the United States throughout the school year. Our CCO (Center for Career Opportunities) is amazing at setting students up for success whether you need help with your resume, preparing for interviews, or even borrowing a suit, they’ve got you covered. Overall, your college choice has to fit for you, but the best part about Purdue is that, with its size, there is room for you to fit anywhere you’d like. Not to mention the food isn’t half bad either!

Shannon

Purdue isn't for anyone who needs help with anything at all. Professors are either completely invested or totally checked out with absolutely zero in between, and don't respond well to constructive criticism on teaching methods. Staff don't care about you either, they only want your money. Purdue will continuously attempt to screw you over and wrench more money out of you. Campus dorms are poorly managed and don't take complaints seriously. Do not ever go to campus police with an issue, they will do all they can to keep you quiet instead of actually taking your report into account. It's pretty though.

Joseph

The best thing about Purdue, besides its amazing academics, is the campus feel. It's a big school, but it doesn't feel that way at all. Everybody is so real and authentic here. People are so friendly and the environment so relaxing. It's perfect in all the right ways.

If you get involved, there are plenty of opportunities to make friends and thrive. Everyone is concerned about your success and rooting you on. There are infinite resources to help you every step along the way. You are the first priority and the school makes it easy to get any and every help you need.

Huan

My first semester of college at Purdue University was one filled with stepping out of my own comfort zone and learning new life lessons. Living on my own has taught me how to do all the things parents would usually do for me. The rigor of Purdue's engineering curriculum has taught me how to efficiently manage my time. I became aware of the numerous extra-curricular opportunities as well, and plan to take advantage in my years to come. Overall, I rate Purdue a 4/5 simply because I have not fully experienced everything that it has to offer.

Alexis

There are many opportunities for you to get involved in and open new doors for you. But if you do not like big schools then you probably will not like Purdue. The rooms are a half way decent size but for the dorms that do not have A/C you will be really hot during the beginning and end of the school year. I am personally not too fond of this school so I will be transferring to a different school next semester.

Brett

I love the school. It has the feel of a small and big school at the same time. There are over 30000 people but the campus is compact enough that you can walk from one corner to another in just 10 minutes. The dorms are ok but whether you have fun or not can depend a lot on how your RA acts and the attitudes of others on your floor. The cops are a little overzealous about stopping frat parties with drinking. At Michigan frats have parties on the lawn and the cops don't care as long as everyone is peaceful and safe but at Purdue all parties have to be hidden in the basement. They still are very good about dealing with people who have alcohol poisoning. If you hand someone over they will thank you and send you on your way even if you are also underage and drunk. The class size for most people is pretty small but as an ME my classes are huge. Professors all have office hours and if you can't make it during the scheduled times they will come in on their off times to see you. The campus is clean and safe but the construction is always there and always in the way. There is a street in the middle of campus I have never seen because its been covered with construction equipment for the last 3 years. The football team sucks but nobody cares when we lose cause we are all used to it but that makes wins seem ten times as awesome. The CoRec is a very nice new gym and the school sponsors a lot of cultural activities there. There is also a ton of study abroad opportunities. I'm going to spend 8 months in Germany working and studying through the GEARE program. Purdue was a great fit for me and I'm glad I went here.

Mackenzie

Once you start bleeding black and gold, you'll never want to stop. Attending Purdue gives me the same gushy feeling as cracking open my favorite book or putting on a childhood favorite film. From the moment I, a then prospective student, visited campus, the spirit of the students and friendliness of the staff stole my heart and ran away with it until I received the key to my dorm the next fall. One thing I have always admired about the university is its constant communication with the students. Although its campus hosts about 40,000 people every day, administration sends out a plethora of resources via e-mail on a daily basis. News about the latest sporting event, deals at the campus bookstore, academic sessions, etc. is accessible with some taps on the keyboard. Extensive (but fun!) pre-arrival "homework" videos ensure that incoming students are fully aware of Purdue's resources before move-in date. And if you have a bad memory? Don't worry! Purdue wants you to succeed, and any academic counselor or professor is happy to point you to the correct resources. The faculty and staff have exceeded my expectations -- I've yet to meet a professor/TA who treats their students like numbers. In their eyes, you're an individual with unique needs, and this treatment only improves as you specialize within your major. Most of my teachers are professors with Ph.Ds or TAs running research labs; either way, they are qualified, professional, and integral to my learning. Service workers in my dorm write positive messages to their floor on the whiteboards, and one even high-fived me for cleaning out my laundry lint! Purdue shows no shortage of positive energy, excitement, and pride for its students. You'll meet a diversity of personalities and ethnicities at Purdue, but let me tell you this -- they're all motivated to succeed. Gone are the slackers who never turned in their work. Here, we party hard, but study hard first. Socially, it's relatively easy for even a shy individual to make friends. Joining the learning community for your major lumps you in classes (and potentially even res halls!) with the same like-minded people for the first semester. This enables you to form lasting relationships with those you see everyday, and who'll most likely be in your future classes. There are over 100+ organizations for any interest, free events on the weekends, job fairs year-round, and a highly active Greek life. So long as you are proactive and attend activities that interest you, the friends come easy. As a whole, the student body is kind, approachable, and helpful. Aesthetically, the campus is beautiful with a combination of both classic and modern interior encased in elegant red brick. Food options here are among the best in the nation, so it is encouraged to take advantage of a meal plan. Though these aspects of aren't always the most important when considering a college, they're examples of Purdue's commitment to providing students with a home-like learning environment that breeds success. Overall, PU gives students absolutely everything they need to reach their academic and personal goals -- but it's up to the individual to grasp these resources. Thankfully, it's easy to when there is no condescension between the administration and study body; only hope and respect. Purdue's motto is "ever grateful, ever true" -- and it lives up to it.

Lola

Overall, Purdue is a large school with a small-town feel. Learning communities allow students to take the same classes at the same time (and possibly live together) to bond. Unfortunately, this can make it a bit clique-y, even for such a huge population. Professors are fantastic for the most part and you'll learn a lot if you seek the academic resources available.

Alex

I love this school. Going to a large school worried me but I could not be happier. The size makes it possible for everyone to have their own niche. The academics are stellar and the people--from professors to students are lovely. There are a ton of resources that help us improve ourselves.

Derek

It is a beautiful campus and has a great history.

Naomi

If you are certain about your field of study (or you're parents are not giving you an option about your major) this school is meant for you. The majors here are very specific, and to someone who doesn't know what they want to do, it may overwhelming. Purdue is known for its polytech, engineering school, and school of agriculture. As a student fro Purdue's Polytechnic, I feel confident about what I have learned thus far. The professors here are excellent, there are always student hours that are available, and they are willing to adjust their schedule to help you. West Lafayette/ Lafayette (Purdue's location) is very quiet, in fact some may call it boring(I personally think its quirky, but can get boring at times). The weird weather changes tend make me and others ill, and the winters sometimes discourage me to want to go class at 7:00 am. There isn't much to do unless you are enrolled in a club or are part of a sorority/ fraternity. The people here are generally friendly, and if you choose to pursue intellectual conversation it can be found.The campus has so many international students that it gives you a great opportunity to interact with people who have different viewpoints and beliefs ( I recommend that you talk with someone who is not from the U.S, some of the conversations can be mind opening). Overall, I think its a good school, and I would not trade what I have learned or experienced here for something else.

Will

I have had a great first few months at Purdue University. I have found my group of people and enjoy hanging out with them without being in a Frat. There have been plenty of activities for me to do both Athletically and academically. I have also enjoyed the campus jobs I have been able to work at and inspire the future of Purdue.

Ashertova

I enjoy the college very much. There are many diverse people here and many new opportunities. This is a great school for engaging your brain, not only are the classes rigorous they are also very interesting. You'll also be able to gain new experience that will benefit you in the future.

Michaela

Coming to Purdue has been one of the best experiences of my life. I can't imagine what it would be like at any another college. From starting my college experience off at Boiler Gold Rush meeting some of my closest friends to the extremely delicious dining halls conveniently located on residential campus, I wouldn't have it any other way. I absolutely love college more than I ever thought I would have. I finally get the chance to do what I want for myself and not what others want for me. I absolutely love the fact that I can finally attend sporting events and not have to either perform or have practice. Purdue is also one of the most diverse campuses and it really excites me learning about other people life stories and backgrounds. Also, the All-American Marching Band is so fun to watch during football games and I love their enthusiasm at all the sporting events. 10/10 would recommend to anyone even thinking about coming to Purdue! Boiler Up, Hammer Down and Hail Purdue!

cora

I love Purdue. It is tough but i know it will be worth it in the end. The people are great, the professors are generally decent, everything is within decent walking distance of eachother, its all great. The only negative thing i have to say is that theres not much to do around here.

Lauryn

I absolutely love Purdue. There are so many opportunities for me. So many chances to network and learn from professionals. Campus life is good and always something to do. So many places to study and for food. All you can eat dining courts and so many options even for vegetarians or vegans.

I have genuinely enjoyed my time at Purdue. There is something for everyone here. The academics are rigorous but ultimately rewarding, and while you will find some difficult professors here and there, most of them want to see you succeed and will do what they can to help you. There are plenty of opportunities to be involved in greek life, sporting events and club activities, and not to mention there are many good food options all over campus.

Kelly

I really enjoy being on Purdue's campus. The school has a good reputation and it is really fun to be around students all the time. The people on and off of campus are friendly and enjoyable to be around. The academics are difficult but all the stress and time taken will pay off afterwards.

Bruno

Purdue University's main campus is a homey environment that you get familiar with very quickly while your affection for it gradually grows. You will notice that it is a small place after your first two months, but if you like exploring little places that don't get a lot of attention but are still appealing, then you will always have something to do on the weekends because there are plenty of places like that around/at Purdue. As far as academics go, your expectations will be exceeded if you go into a STEM field, if not, then you'll be satisfied with your education. In that way, you can't really lose with Purdue's academics, they're solid.

I love Purdue so much. It's a beautiful campus with a beautiful history, and you will meet some of the best people here. I am eternally grateful to be spending the next three years of my life at this university.

Lilly

It is an amazing school with many great opportunities that help their students achieve their goals and dreams. The classes are interesting and full of students from different​ cultures with different ideas, which invokes thoughtful conversations and friendships.

Arthur

Overall Purdue is a very good college to attend. The campus is safe, and the on-campus housing is not bad. The academic side of Purdue is very professional and well made. The professors care for their student and they have regular office hours to help students. The programs are also very advanced academically.

Marissa

It is amazing how many people attend Purdue University. It makes our college extremely diverse which allows students to learn more about other cultures and Purdue offers many different program just for that. I also love the variety of different class you can take as electives. It broadens your mind to appreciate other subjects other than your specific major. Overall I love attending Purdue, there is so much that people can get involve in to be part of a great community and become a Boilermaker.

Maddie

I absolutely love it here! Academics are a huge priority, but students still make time to have fun on the weekends and explore the area. Sports aren't a huge thing here, but there are a lot of people involved in intramurals. Greek life is big on campus, and I suggest joining! Overall, Purdue is a great school if you are looking for a serious academic experience, but not so great if you want a big sports atmosphere or an interesting area off campus.

Jana

Purdue is a challenging large campus school and it can be difficult for introverts to make friends. However, Purdue does encourage being an active student and has many opportunities, having over 1000 clubs. Purdue wants its students to prosper, by having several weed-out classes (especially for engineering students). Purdue is multi-cultured and educated, however, there can be intense racial issues on campus.

Samara

I LOVE Purdue and bleed black and gold, Purdue has been the best thing that has ever happened to me! I feel so happy on campus, it is the best place to study and grow. Purdue means so much to me and I have met so many wonderful people and have so many amazing opportunities available to me thanks to Purdue.

Summer

I generally really like Purdue. I have had some VERY bad experiences, but since changing colleges within the University that has gotten quite a bit better. On campus housing is terrible, but the dining court is really good. I have definitely loved most of my classes.

Thomas

I think that overall, the campus is very nice. Purdue promotes safety, overall student success as well as academic excellence which allows the university to be a great school to attend. From my experience so far, walking at night is very safe. Also, there is an extensive communications network across the campus which allows students to know what's going on, and this allows students to know. Also, Purdue promotes safety by having its own police and fire department. Also, Purdue promotes academic excellence by employing great teachers and staff members that truly care about their students' education. Teachers here are always willing to stay behind after class to answer questions. Also, the Teaching Assistants at Purdue are very knowledgeable and helpful. Also, the entire campus is dedicated to student success. Purdue offers facilities in student leadership, athletics, and counseling. with this combination of facilities, Purdue is also able to promote student success because of the great campus life, social environment and living conditions. Due to the combination of safety, high academic excellence, great student success and great campus life, I think that Purdue is one of the best schools one can go to for their undergraduate years.

Anna

Purdue has become home to me. Through various clubs and classes, I have made friends for life. Living on campus allows me to be close to all of my friends and have study parties every night. Purdue's dining court food is the best! Plenty of options to eat a well balanced, healthy meal with desserts that top it off perfectly.

Torey

Excellent school with an emphasis on building successful students and improving the quality of the university.

Wyatt

Purdue is consistently ranked as a top school. It is currently the number 4 public university. The academics are rigorous leading to a highly respected degree. The social scene is the worst of Big Ten schools and the football program is terrible too. Basketball is fun if you are into it. The school is widely diverse. International students like to stay in a clique and don't really participate in the rest of campus which is unfortunate. The campus is pretty and definitely safe. I'm proud to be a Boilermaker.

Brooke

During my first year of Purdue, I have found college to be absolutely exhilarating. I was not able to really do much in high school considered I come from a small town. Purdue shows you the opportunities of the world, and you are surrounded by kind people who do not tolerate any type of hatred. The professors are equally great, as well as the TA's. Each Purdue employee and student is someone who will take the time to get to know you and help you along the way. I came to Purdue for their wonderful Exploratory Studies program, as I had no idea what I wanted to major in. I can't wait to leave with my unique knowledge and skill sets, something that one can only obtain from Purdue University.

Viktoryia

I love Purdue and its true spirit. All the people are very nice here. Everyone is happy to help. The classes are pretty tough sometimes but it is Purdue - it is intended to make you think, make you better at what you are doing.

Madeline

It's great. Everything is accessable amd easy to get to. Yu can walk anywhere and Purdue has busses that run all over campus and they are free for students. Living on campus is great because you have everything at your fingertips. Whatever someone may need, you can more than likely find it on campus.

Cora

Purdue university is extraordinary and reminiscent of a private college, although the tuition has been frozen and it is entirely public. They have the option of living off campus even in your freshmen year, giving students more freedom and the ability to choose their future living spaces. The people are friendly and you can always see people having fun. The weather can be rough during the winter months, but the summer makes up for it. Overall, it feels and looks like a wonderful place to get a higher education.

Haley

Since, I was a little girl, I have dreamt of being a boilermaker. When people ask me where I attend college, it’s a privilege to say Purdue University. It is a place to make unforgettable memories and a place you will never want to leave. Purdue has everything and anything you can think of. The campus is sensational, to its historical buildings to West Lafayette itself. Going away to college is a scary, new step but Purdue makes you feel right at home. Being a Boilermaker is more than just a saying, it is who you are for the rest of your life. .

Latrisha

Awesome! Not expensive. It's great people, caring staff, we encourage each other. I've made great friends. And I'm ve learned so much since I've been here. And In 5 years you can obtain your Masters. How awesome is that?!! Purdue is Where it's at. Woot woot

Zachary

Purdue is an amazing college to attend if you don't mind the high cost and lack of competitive sports. There is no hockey or men's soccer. Football is atrocious. Basketball is usually good we hope. Out of state costs run around 45k per year. It's expensive. I grew up wanting to go to the university of Michigan and following their sports closely but I am happy here with academics. In terms of sports, I still follow Michigan and suggest you follow the team you grew up watching. It'll be less of a heartache

Chris

You've driven through a sea of corn from the Indianapolis International Airport (or from Zionsville, Lafayette, or another nearby town if for some reason you chose to stay in Indiana) and when you see the first sign of civilization, you're at Purdue. For a school in the middle of nowhere, there's a decent amount to do: lots of clubs, Greek life is huge there (only surefire way to have fun right now on campus and get into parties if you’re not in Greek life you're stuck hunting every weekend), some pretty popular bars (antics at Harry's, Where Else, Neon Cactus, and Brothers frequently make it onto Barstool and 5th year), and sports games get a pretty big turnout (especially football and basketball). A majority of the students here are in Engineering which gets a lot of funding and special treatment, business is another popular major, and anything Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math related (STEM) also will have a solid amount of students. If you're in a liberal arts major there are fewer resources in terms of academic help, and some students may make fun of you, but don't let it get to your head. As for people in STEM ,especially engineering prepare for a rigorous course load. It'll take a lot of your time up and you'll have to work really hard, but it's worth it in the end. One big thing is utilizing your resources the campus knows how much time STEM takes up and there's plenty of office hours, teacher's assistants willing to help, clubs,practice test sessions, and other resources to help. It's all a matter of finding out what works best for how you study and asking around. Lastly as alluded to before the school while one of the best academically, is not one of the most exciting. You need to find a group of people who you can study with to help through classes, but also a group of people you can just have fun with. Join a club, a sorority or fraternity, or even just make friends with the kids in your dorm halls. If you don’t you’re going to make college a whole lot harder and less interesting than it should be. Boiler down, hammer up, and hope to see you here in the fall.

Tamara

Purdue is a really great school. It has one of the highest acceptance rates of international students in the US, so it makes for a diverse and interesting campus. I have really enjoyed meeting people from all around the world. However, Purdue is known mostly for STEM majors, so if you are a liberal arts major, you might feel a little bit out of place. But regardless of major, I think that Purdue has great academics and most professors I've had have been fantastic and very helpful. I have always felt challenged, but not pushed beyond the breaking point. The one thing I wish was different is for international and in-state/US students to mingle more; a lot of people keep to their own groups. And I wish there were more parking spaces! Over all, I love this university. Boiler up hammer down.

Jeremy

As a 5th year senior, Purdue University has become a literal second home to me. There are obviously some things I would fix about it if I could (such as parking space availability and some professor’s policies), but overall I love the school and its campus. For one thing, school pride is great here. Almost everyone goes to sporting events or wears school gear all the time, and the students really respect the school president and the school as a whole. Wherever you are in the world if you see a Purdue alum they will always cheerfully reply with “Boiler Up!” when you let them know you are a fellow Boiler. Purdue is one of the best academic schools in the nation, including top departments for agriculture and engineering. That being said, if you aren’t a STEM major you will definitely be a minority. STEM students will always tell you all about how difficult their classes are, but no matter what your major is you will really have to push yourself to succeed academically. The on-campus housing and dining are also good, with dining courts located next to every residence hall. Outside of the classroom there is plenty to do including clubs, intramural sports, live music, and a great restaurant/bar scene. With so many students and activities you can easily find a group of people that share similar interests, and a squad to hang out with on the weekends. With its beautiful campus, passionate students, and competitive tuition cost, there isn’t another school that I would rather be at then Purdue University

Andrea

The campus was absolutely beautiful when I visited. The tour guides each seemed very enthusiastic about the school and the visit made me want to attend the university. Between staff and students, everyone was very helpful and kind. Many of their academic programs are rated highly and their presentations of residential life made the university very appealing.

Morgan

Overall Purdue University is a good school. Fore every major there are going to be tough classes, but you can console yourself with the fact that everyone is going through the same difficulties, and that it is easy to find help. The academic culture is good and their are always plenty of opportunities to help increase your knowledge on subjects. The extracurricular climate at the school is very great too. Whether it's for sports, academics, or just finding a group there are a lot of clubs available, and it would be hard not to find a group to join. Both on campus and off campus housing is good. While limited on campus housing is great. Off campus housing is both reasonably affordable and located close to campus.

Mike

My view on the campus is that of excellence. I believe everywhere you turn you will find someone or something of interests or that have similar interests. The campus is clean, sleek, and modern. I enjoyed my time there and am really happy that I went and also excited to go back. The food was some of the best I've had at a college campus, so I can only assume the meal-plan is great too. The dorms are spectacular with some having captivating views, and others with ones that look down into the campus. The classes are amazing too. I personal preference is no lecture halls, but that's just me. Overall this is an amazing school, i'm happy for anyone that attends Purdue.

I absolutely adore the campus for how large and accommodating it is for students. The buildings are beautiful and the services that are provided for students is incredible. The faculty is amazing in their pursuit of teaching us and giving us the best possible chance of graduating and succeeding in our future careers.

Meghan

I absolutely love Purdue University. I am an out-of-state student and I have absolutely no regrets coming here. I call this campus my home away from home. I always look forward to classes each day and learning more about my major and what opportunities I have for my life after college. Purdue Is the best school in my opinion.

Alexis

Purdue is an amazing school. The academics are very hard but are well-earned. If you get an A at Purdue, you know it truly means an A. The sports are super important since we are a big 10 school. The overall environment is amazing. There are plenty of options for food at the dining courts so you will never go hungry, and there are many opportunities for jobs, clubs, or greek life.

Sahil

I love being a student here. The academics get progressively harder each semester, but if you learn to budget your time well in your first year then you will have plenty of free time in the evening and weekends. Lots of ways to get involved on campus as well.