Purdue University-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Purdue University-Main Campus

John

I love Purdue University. It is a truly one of a kind school. There is so much for a student to do. I couldn't be happier. The only critique I have concerns Greek Life on campus. While I think safety is very important, I believe SARMA needs to give a little more freedom/independence to the chapters that are on campus.

Nick

Purdue is a large, diverse campus where the students are there to learn. The current administration is laser focused on affordability, academic integrity, and creating an environment where discussion and debate is encouraged. It has one of the largest international student enrollments of any school in the nation. It also has one of the largest Greek systems, although I felt neither pressured to join nor singled out because I did not. It is a member of the Big Ten Conference, and going to football and basketball games are a big deal. The recreation center is brand new, and the on-campus dining options are state of the art. The schoolwork is academically rigorous without feeling like busy work. Class sizes are small (15 or so) once you get into your major’s core classes. Overall there is a tangible pride in the academic standard, from professors, teaching assistants, and students of every major. It is a world renowned university in the STEM fields, and is very respectable in business as well. It’s a fun, tight-knit campus that holds a special place in the hearts of alumni all over the world.

Sara

I really like it. There are a ton of international kids. A ton. If you think its going to be a southern school because it is Indiana that is not the case. Very liberal, but also a strong emphasis on engineering and math. IU might have been better for anything other than science.

Grace

I absolutely love Purdue University. Growing up in an IU household, I never thought I would become a Boilermaker but I did and I don't regret it. The academics are out of this world, the professors are always there to help and there are clubs for anyone and everyone. Did I mention there's a dog petting club? Not only that but there's always something for someone. You would think you would get lost in the sea of people since Purdue has over 40,000 students. But there are ways to find people who you can connect with and relate to what you love. Purdue is a great school and I highly recommend it.

Shania

Overall Purdue University is a fantastic school. It is well known for its incredible Engineering, Agriculture, Management and Science programs. Almost all of the programs at Purdue are some of the best you will find. One program I would not recommend at Purdue is Physics. Overall, Purdue is top notch, one thing to know that is not so great is the parking isn't the greatest but there is a pretty good bus system.

Isaac

I really like Purdue. They have a strong academic culture and their warm, welcoming atmosphere makes your stay much more enjoyable. I especially love the web of support and extra-curricular activities. If anyone needs help, there is a group or person who will most certainly help you. You just need to ask.

Paige

The campus is beautiful with many outdoor places to meet between classes to enjoy when its warm. There are also plenty of indoor spaces to hang out, get food, or even a beer on specific days. People are always nice and the atmosphere is welcoming. Game days are the absolute best days on campus, with people and events everywhere! Overall a great college to attend or even visit for fun events.

Jada

I go to Purdue Global online, in which everything is connected. So far i love the school, teachers are always easy to get in contact with. They work with you and always make sure you come first. Also I love the fact that they’re so understanding and teach so we can understand the material.

Ali

a very diverse and great university, especially for international students

Riggs

Purdue University is overall a great school where academics are heavily valued. That being said, work hard play hard, everyone likes to let loose a little on weekends to relieve stress. Outside of great academics and a good social scene, Purdue offers great athletic facilities for all students and provides many great facilities for non-academic activities.

Kwame

Purdue is a great campus. There is a great mix of good academics and recreation. The buildings are nice, and have a great aesthetic. Also the dorms have great spacing. So to go further in depth Purdue is a great school for STEM majors and other majors also. The buildings around the school such as the aerospace building has a very modern aesthetic. To move on teachers a very smart and helpful, they have office hours that you can always go to, and you will receive the help you need. After that campus is beautiful over all especially when snow is on the ground. Next are the dorms they are placed variously around the school with some being closer to the school or some being a little farther. Most of them have air condition and good spacing, while a few others don't so there are many pros and cons so the decision is yours. Dining court food is pretty good but its dining court food so it gets old pretty fast, but there are multiple dining courts around the school. For example one has only healthy food or some just serve certain types of cuisines. Overall if you are looking for a beautiful, spacious, and intellectual campus Purdue is right for you

Rylee

Overall, there is nothing I do not enjoy about campus. I really enjoy that everyone is here to learn and to help each other succeed. I also love that everyone here, the professors, staff, and students, are always very friendly. Furthermore, if someone is in need of help, it is not hard to find and it is provided whole-heartedly.

Adam

I hate college, and Purdue has cemented the belief that a collegiate education is a ludicrous idea when going into the tech field. We live in a world of endless knowledge thanks to the internet and half my classes say that we as the students will have to teach a concept to ourselves by googling it because it's an important skill to maintain.

Diana

I love Purdue, is a great school, but classes can be harder than needed. We are not the greatest in sports but catch us watching all the games! Many many opportunities to study abroad. Night life can be a little boring and repetitive but you learn to make the most of it.

John

I love it. Having grown up in a small town in Southern Indiana, I enjoy the small-town feel of the university. However, I have talked to many who would prefer a much bigger city with more opportunities, especially for social activities on weekends. That being said, I think all can agree that Purdue has some of the best academics in the nation. This is because Purdue does not inflate grades to the large degree that many other prominent universities in the country do. It says something about the rigor of a University's academics when hardworking students are very happy to get a B grade in some classes. With these two main factors in mind, Purdue being located in a small town, and having excellent academics, my overall opinion of Purdue University is that it is a wonderful school. Each person will have their own opinion, but my is that I would choose to attend Purdue in a heartbeat if I had to go back in time and make the choice again.

Zachary

The campus is a great place to get involved with the community. There are just over 1000 clubs on campus so there isn't a shortage of people who may have the same interests as you. Many of the people on campus are very friendly and many people will be willing to help out as long as you take the initiative. It shouldn't be too difficult to make friends that will last a lifetime either while at Purdue. You can easily meet people who come from very different backgrounds and be exposed to different cultures.

Nicholas

It's easy access library makes perfect for any study session! I was completely blow away by the fact that the had a dinning area and sidewalks around the dinning area! I loved my visit there, so many good things they have that it is hard to mention all of them.

Chandni

It’s an amazing school with diversity. It has several opportunities for anyone and everyone. The campus is beautiful. The people here are kind and helpful. And the food is delicious. You should definitely discover and explore the university to see how beneficial it can be to study here.

Jonah

It's very good. I feel like the college is very academic based especially towards engineering, math, and science. Although the school is very big, which makes it hard sometimes, it's also good because Purdue has very good facilities. Overall, Purdue is a great college.

Kirsten

Purdue University is a great college. It is very academically focused. There is a variety of options to help you succeed including office hours, academic success centers, and learning communities. The work is challenging and at times overwhelming, but it is all worth it. There is a variety of Greek life, house parties, and tailgates for the big games.

Branden Martin

I believe Purdue is an amazing University and I would highly recommend it to anyone. It has a great social life while at the same time maintaining its status as a top university in the country. It is a division 1 school which means we get the chance to see top athletic programs play against us if we are not already the top school. All in all, Purdue is a great University.

Shundria

Great opportunity and platform for anyone who wants to further their education. There are several resources available and lot of support at the school. This is my second time going back to college and I will be using a online course with free tuition. Orientation for school has already started and I feel like I know how to navigate to the web pages with ease . I am really enjoying meeting new Classmates from all over the world with the same mission to achieve success. I look forward to taking advantage of all of the Honor clubs and societies, Greek Organizations, and my Graduation Date. Thank You Purdue Global for giving me a second chance and boosting my entrepreneurial spirit.

James

I do online classes, but I enjoy the college life, ive learn alot about thinks in my field that I couldnt ever imagine. Things I thought I knew but really didnt know the half of it.

Kristen

Staff is always friendly, helpful and supportive when I need assistance. Classes are interesting and enjoyable! Having class online works perfectly around my work schedule and other responsibilities. Professors have been great and are only an email away if you have questions.

Victoria

Purdue is an amazing university that cares about the students they accept. I do believe they make some courses harder than they need to be, but they prepare you really well for the future.

Jasmine

Purdue's main campus is almost like its own little community. There is something for everyone. There are plenty of places to hang out with friends, study, grab a bite to eat, and more! The professors are there to help students succeed and are always approachable outside of class. In terms of academics, Purdue is a very competitive university, but that does not mean that if you are struggling in a class that you are the only one. There are a ton of resources available on campus to help you get on the right track. There are even on-campus resources to help students who are feeling really stressed out, or have other reasons to see a therapist. In my experience, I have never found a place that is as inclusive as Purdue. At first, I felt like I did not belong, due to me being out of state; however, my opinion has definitely changed after my first semester on campus. I can confidently say that I have found my group of friends and I am looking forward to the rest of my semesters as a Boilermaker.

Allison

Overall, Purdue University is a great school. While traffic and safety may be less than adequate, the food is alright, there are plenty of opportunities for housing, and the options for research, study abroad, and alumni relationships are incredible.

Madison

Purdue University is awesome for education majors because the College of Education is a small college within a large university - you get all the benefits of a big campus while still being in smaller classes and personally getting to know your professors.

Isabella

Purdue is possibly the best experience you can hope for in a state school. Nothing short of the best in education, athletics, and accommodations. Students here believe in education and also want to be actively involved in curriculars. The value of a good work ethic goes miles for a Purdue student, every student makes education a top priority and knows their limits when it comes to "partying" our greek life and organizations outside it are accredited and well known across the nation, Purdue is a household name for a reason after all. With such a big school one might think that they will be lost in large lecture halls and fall behind but Purdue does an amazing job of balancing class sizes depending on your major and the school doesn't end up feeling too big at all.

Grant

I overall opinion of Purdue is that I am surprised and amazed. I have so many new friends and so many more potential friends to make. I am very proud in the school but mainly myself for deciding to attend Purdue. Purdue is widely known and has a ton of students, so for it to be so safe and secure is very impressive. Purdue feels like a whole new state. There is not much I need outside of the campus. Without being cheesy, i genuinely enjoy my time at Purdue and can not wait for what the future holds. With so many opportunities surrounding the campus, I feel like I made the best decision in my life so far attending Purdue.

Robert

Good place for nerds. (Psst, you want to be a nerd, they are obviously the smartest and richest in today's world) I wish that I didn't involve myself in the quintessential american college party experience and spent more time studying and learning and creating!

Anna

I love Purdue University-Main Campus! Although its internet can be fuzzy, its overall academic rigor is hard but rewarding when enough effort is put in, because a degree from this university is worth something to employers. Purdue prides itself on its academic pursuit.

Sydney

My overall Opinion of Purdue University is that it is a wonderful school. At first, I did not want to go to school here, but after only a week, I fell in love with Purdue. There is a lot of school spirit here and a huge emphasis on academics. Students work hard and study countless hours during the week so they are able to go to football and basketball games during the weekend, where we are able to cheer on Purdue and take a dig at our rival, Indiana University.

leanna

Excellent. I have visited a few times and it is why I will attend college there in the fall. The academic standard there is top of the line. The professors I spoke to have really impressed me and put me at ease. Other college visits didn't leave me with a positive impression.

Khayri

Overall Purdue University is a great school to be a part of with many activities available so no one is left out. There is always someone who can help anyone with any subject even if the professor is not available. The only places where I do believe the university may need some adjusting is On-Campus residence and Campus food, but otherwise Purdue University is a school where you will never feel out of place.

Costadina

The campus is good but students learn over time that we are not a big concern. The school is more worried about making sure the school has a good name then the students being happy but I also believe that to be true of every college. The arts program is incredibly unknown and under appreciated. A majority of the students that I have met have never heard of our theatre or the shows we put on. Our school is mainly concerned with athletics and making sure athletes are well taken care of so that they can keep popularity up. I think Purdue can be a good campus to its students but you must be an athlete or an engineer for them to really care about you. Also, a majority of the professors are incredibly unrealistic in the work they give their students and the way they teach material. In my experience, they expect you to teach yourself everything and when you don't understand, they do little to explain or help. This is not true for all professors, but the majority. I enjoy Purdue simply because of the environment I've chosen to put myself in and the people I've met within the Theatre program. Outside of theatre, there is not much about Purdue that I value. My opinion may be biased however due to the fact that the program I am receiving my degree in is not treated in the best respect by the university.

Olivia

I originally didn't even want to go to college and for an entire year I refused to like my school. I went home all the time and hated going to class. After a while the campus and the classes grew on me. It's a big campus but I have always found it easy and enjoyable to walk around.

Jackson

Although I am not currently a student at Purdue University, I very frequently visit the campus to spend time with friends attending the college. Every time I visit the Purdue Campus, I am reminded of how disappointed I am for not possessing the ability to attend. Last winter, I was accepted in to Purdue to pursue my desired major of Actuarial Science; however, I decided to settle with IUPUI, as they provided me with more scholarship money. That being said, I fully intend to transfer to Purdue next Summer, as I wholeheartedly love this University. The campus itself is absolutely beautiful, both in landscape and architecture; furthermore, it possesses an abundance of unique redeeming qualities that separate it from all other major universities in Indiana. Although, I cannot address the academic provisions of this University, I can relay what currently enrolled students have communicated to me about them. I have never heard a complaint about the education system here at Purdue. Every student I have conversed with regarding academic programs has told me that a vast majority of professors are highly engaging and able to effectively communicate the material of their respective courses. I have also been told, emphatically, that professors provided an acceptable amount of office hours to assist students. What I have been told regarding the academic provisions of this university has only increased my desire to attend Next Fall. Another redeeming quality of this University is the Social Atmosphere and Culture. The campus is alive all hours of the night, each and every day. This university fully embraces the philosophy of working hard and playing hard. Students are not only enabled to, but are actually encouraged to engage in school sanctioned social events, including tailgates, fraternity/serority functions, and campus rallies. Every social activity here is a party, and this University properly exemplifies an administration's ability to allow students to enjoy the college experience, while still remaining safe. I have never felt unsafe on campus, or spoken to a student who has ever felt unsafe navigating through campus. The student body, faculty, and staff are all extremely welcoming, and ingrain Purdue with an enthusiastic and free-spirited culture that is indiscriminately inclusive. Greek life at Purdue is exceptional, as every Fraternity and Serority I have visited has proven they know how to embody the perfect balance of having fun, while remaining safe and smart. Everyone is able to party with one another, and nobody ever feels excluded. There are no petty rivalries between two separate houses; in fact, I have noticed that separate houses often coordinate so that they don't have competing functions on the same night. This not only saves money for both houses, but develops healthy relationships between separate brother/sisterhoods. The Acres are a signature location at Purdue, and I absolutely LOVE the idea of having a vast majority of houses existing on the same street. I believe this not only increases the sense of togetherness amongst all houses, but also strengthens the University's culture. I really have nothing negative to say about this Campus or its University in general. This is my dream school and I hope I get to attend next year.

Alyssa

Purdue is a big school but you can manage to venture out and make friends. Based on what I’ve seen, it’s clean and safe. I love the environment because people were very friendly. I was in a summer program in 6th grade which was amazing and I would recommend to everyone.

Purdue has something for everyone. There are tons of clubs and organizations and Greek life and plenty of off-campus activities as well. There's over 40k students so if there isn't something you enjoy, create it and I have no doubt you will find others who enjoy it as well. On-campus and off-campus there is a wide variety of food. Plenty of places to study. Biggest downside, to some, is that you are a very small fish in a very large pond. You have to make your own effort to connect with others and reach out as needed. If you are going to need professor letters for grad school or future jobs, you have to make extra effort to get to know them because they have too many students to remember you otherwise. On the flip side, very few professors (at least in my majors) cared if you missed class.

Abigail

I have really enjoyed my time at Purdue University. The staff and students are inviting and always willing to lend a helping hand whether that be within the classroom or outside. There are several opportunities to get involved with over a thousand organizations on campus to join. Plus, as soon as you walk on campus you will see the school spirit that is felt even outside of the football and basketball stadium.

Alexandra

Great School!

Brooke

Strong academics. Large international program, although the campus is largely White and conservative. High value placed on the STEM and engineering departments at the systemic and student level, although many programs are of high quality (e.g., pharmacy, psychology, education, etc.). The surrounding area and city is not much of a "scene" but Chicago is only 2 hours away by car.

Molly

Personally I love Purdue University. There are so many opportunities for students to pursue and it is so diverse. Some classes are challenging but there are a lot of study sessions, supplemental instructing sessions, and tutors available to students. Purdue wants all of their students to succeed and you can defiantly see that throughout the campus.

I love this school. It is so prideful. There is always something happening on campus. It is a university town so everything is centered around Purdue, but it is great. It can get really cold temperature wise and also really hot in the summer time. Great people. Great friends. Amazing in academics.

Patrick

Some of the non-academic amenities are not always great for everyone, I have heard complaints from friends about the quality of the dorms; some problems being cockroaches, brown water, small rooms, and so on. I however have not really experienced things like these. I think my only issue would maybe be with the lack of restaurant options on campus that are not dining courts. As for academics I am impressed and have had no real problems with yet. Obviously there are professors with different styles than the way you prefer to learn, that would be the case anywhere. However other than that I feel that all classes are taught very well and students have great opportunities to learn and get help out of class.

Lina

When I first came into college, I had no idea what I wanted to study. Purdue offers a variety of fields of study that I can choose from of my interest. I feel like I am heading in the right direction with my major. I am also involved in the Environmental Science Club. I am the secretary. Purdue also offers great work study opportunities that I continue to follow. Great people, food, and a sturdy academic path, I am proud to be a Boilermaker!

Ana-Gabriel

It's a pretty great school with lots of opportunities and activities, but the housing can sometimes be a bit meh if you don't apply early. Students learn a lot and there's a pretty decent entrepreneurial scene (the anvil, certifications, minors, etc...). You'll never run out of things to do whether you're an avid gamer, activist, hobbyist, athlete, socialite, volunteer, or entrepreneur.

Ray

It is quite a good college to attend to to learn about computers and education for technological reasoning. Still, a good idea to learn every now and then for computers and so much more to attend to and not give up for the teachers and students to have their faith in one another to learn on.

Gabrielle

Purdue has a beautiful campus filled with a huge class of students but you only get the real "college experience" if you are in greek life or have connections to someone in greek life. I feel the professors try to help every student they can to the best of their ability, but i also feel that courses are harder than they would be at another college just because it is a Purdue course.