Radford, VA
Radford University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Radford University

Claire

My overall opinion of my school is a very positive one, I've loved it since my first visit! The first thing that struck me was the beautiful campus. Being located in the mountains not only gives students to engage in a variety of outdoor activities, but also lends itself to wonderful views in every direction. Another great thing about my school is the quickly improving academic and sports programs. For me, I end the size of my school very comfortable; it is not too big, and it is not too small. Classes are usually on the smaller side which gives you and your professor a better opportunity to know one another on a more personal level. One thing I wish my school had more of is definitely school spirit. I am on the dance team and have so much pride in my University, and I just wish others shared this same excitement I have for our school, and its history. I think one reason there is a lack of school pride is because we don't have a football team, which unfortunately doesn't allow students to bond over tailgating and other sports related events. I wish people could look beyond this, however, because the history of our school is so interesting and I wish people would take the time to learn about it.

There is a very large population of students that participate in Greek Life at my University. While social fraternities and sororities remain popular, there are many professional and academic co-ed fraternities on our campus that are also extremely successful in gaining members. In addition to Greek Life there are many other societies and clubs that students could join! For example, I am a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, the National Society of Leadership and Success, and the Anthropology Club. Each organization that I am involved in has helped me to meet a variety of different students and given me many opportunities to improve my college career. Sports are also another important part of our campus community. While we may not have a football team, we have many sports team that are successful in winning our conference division! Because I am on the University's Dance Team I am very familiar with many of the sports teams. We perform at many sporting events as well as travel to Daytona Beach, Florida once a year for the National Dance Association's Collegiate Cheer/Dance Competition. We also have many traditions here that students love to get involved in! We have a Polar Plunge each winter, and in the spring we have Quadfest, which is what our school is most notoriously known for. Quadfest is the week before finals and involves the community of students to come together and enjoy a week of partying and bonding before the final week of school. Even if you don't like to drink Quadfest is still a great deal of fun! Many activities are set up right outside of campus, for example: water slides, water balloon fights, volleyball, frisbee, horse shoe, etc. Throughout the whole year, however, there are still so many things to do! One traditional activity is "floating down the river". Often times students come to town a few weeks before school begins to cook out and enjoy a day floating down the river which is walking distance from campus. Besides these traditions, on a regular week you will often find students out on the weekends, either at bars, or roaming around what our school calls "Lightside" or "Darkside". If you don't like to party there are still many things for you to do! There is a bowling alley on campus as well as a rock wall and movie theatre. It's almost impossible for one to be bored here! There will always be something to do for everyone!

Meagan

Describe the dorms.

The dorms on campus are really nice! They just renovated two and they are great now! They have carpet going down the hallway and the walls are lined with white boards. They are in the process of renovating the oldest dorm on campus and in my opinion, the most beautiful. The campus has different themed quads and all are unique.

Sororities and Fraternities would probably be the most popular activities or groups on campus. I can pretty much guarantee you that you will have at least one Greek member in all of your classes. Sports are also pretty big on our campus. We also have weekly movies that play on campus and it is only $1 to see them and they are usually pretty recent movies. We have a bowling alley on campus as well as pool tables. I met my closest friends last year. We lived in the same dorm together and now this year we live off campus in an apartment. It doesn't matter what time it is, someone on campus is always up and moving around. You never feel afraid to be out at night on our campus. Every year we have the Highlander Festival in the fall where many vendors come out and we all have a great time. Off campus you can visit the park where you can play pretty much any sport or just walk by the New River. In the spring you can float out in the water or whatever you like really. We are also very close to Christiansburg and Blacksburg so you can go shopping with friends or go out to eat.

Every program at Radford University is great. I know many people in many different majors. The professors and office faculty are all really great. They are willing to help you with anything you need at anytime. Pretty much all of my professors know my name after a few weeks into a new semester. It's always a good idea to introduce yourself to a professor even if you don't need help or you can also stop by their office hours. The professors really like it when the student takes the initiative. On this campus, you will always pass by at least a dozen people sitting somewhere on campus studying. When you are in classes, participation is always good. Teachers encourage it and you really understand the material better when you are adding your input to the mix. My major is Elementary Education with concentrations in Math and Science. I love my major! Radford is well known for their College of Education and Human Development and their Nursing School so if you are wanting a degree in either field, I can tell you all about them. I'm not saying that other majors aren't great though, because they are all amazing! All faculty do help you prepare for life after college or when we all enter the "real" world.

I would say that our school is known for the party people. Everyone says that if you want to go to a party school, go to Radford University. I definitely don't think this is true. Every school can be a party school depending on the type of crowd of people. Radford University has many great programs of study, great professors and a large amount of student clubs.

The school has a great Honors program that allows you to further your academic learning by offering more challenging classes and the ability to choose topics of interest to you within a class that you contract for Honors credit. Radford's campus is just the right size. It takes about 10 minutes at most to walk from one side of campus to the other. Radford has so many clubs and organizations that there's pretty much one for anything a student might be interested in. One thing I would change is how late the food places are open, but they do now have a late night option from 11pm-2am, Monday-Thursday. The most frequent student complaints are about all the smoke on campus from smokers, the fact that the fast food places and the dining hall aren't open long enough, and the prices for dalton and muse, especially for dinner, are expensive.

Tessa

The best part about Radford University is it's size. It's large enough to feel like a campus and to feel freedom, but small enough that you don't feel like just a number. There is a comforting, safe atmosphere. I would say unlike other schools, the majority of students here are friendly and helpful to others.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Off campus, Radford is a small town. The university is the reason for Radford's existence. There are a few places to eat and shop, but not much. We have a railroad, which those in Muse building will hear constantly. There are a few townies, but the major popultation is college kids. Radford is a country place, but is located near a few known cities of VA (Blacksburg, Roanoke). It may not have the finest, but it has everything you need.

Our lingo. We have nicknames for everything. For example dark side and light side, which are the east and west side of campus. The bonnie is the student center. AND our pride. Last year when Osama bin laden was pronounced dead, we rallied as a school the night before exams. We were even on the news. Check it.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms at Radford are bigger than most. Other than the famous building Muse, most of the dorms are located near the dinning hall and student center. Depending on the dorm, you have AC that YOU control, which is a plus. Most of the dorms are being renovated. My dorm has currently been renovated and has lots of room for storage. All the dorms are converting to one bathroom per room. NO COMMUNITY SHOWERS! yay. The walls aren't the thickest, so you can most likley hear your neighbor. All in all, I could spend all four years in the dorm.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose Radford for it's specialization in Education. If you want to be a teacher in VA, Radford is the college for you! They have a GREAT 5 year master's program. I also chose Radford for it's perfect size and unity. The teachers know me by name, not just a number. The students here are friendly and fun, not just party-goers. And lastly, I chose Radford for it's smalltown feel, which reminds me of home.

Everyone knows what weekends are at college. You won't see anyone around campus until noon either Saturday or Sunday. Different clubs also put off different social events, like dances and bowling. Depending on exams, many students cram all night at the library or Young Hall. As for sports, the girl's sports, softball and soccer dominate. We don't have a football team, but our brother school, Virginia Tech is nearby!

There is not an overwhleming stereotype. Most kids like to party! We have frats, jocks, some country kids, and beach kids. We are pretty diverse for a small school.

Radford is not a big school, but we are diverse. While the majority of our students are females, we have students from many different countries, regions, ethic backgrounds, and races. We have a greek system, but it does not over-rule life around campus. Students at Radford know how to party, but work hard too.

Radford is moving up in the academic rankings. In the past, Radford has been the "back-up" school to get into. However, Radford has really improved its recruitment for honorable students. I would know, as I am a member at the honor's academy. While Radford's status is moving up, it is not too overwhelming for students. Locals around here would view Radford as a good school.

Greek life is a huge deal at Radford. This comes in the form of social fraternities and sororities as well as business and academic fraternities. I am in a business fraternity that relates to my major. I spent a lot of time working on projects for my co Ed fraternity. People typically assume that all Greek life does is drink, which is often true in social Greek organizations. People party however much they choose to party. There will always be parties, but that is not all that people do. In many dorms students are not allowed to leave their doors open due to 'fire codes' I did not understand this rule when I lived in a dorm and thought it put students at a huge disadvantage to mingle with others. I met most of ,y friends through my major. Because my major is so time consuming, those are often the only people that I have the time to see in a regular day.

Class sizes at Radford make it possible for professors to know their students names and become involved with their academic experience. I am a Visual Merchandising for design major. I am very close with my professors which makes my experience even more rewarding. I am able to have conversations outside of class with my professors, which helps me to learn more about my career as well as provides an opportunity to ask questions and better understand class expectations. Class sizes and professor relationships at Radford make the desire to learn and to succeed present in everyday life.

Radford University has always been viewed as a party school. People often assume that students go to Radford because they cannot get accepted elsewhere, or because they are more concerned with partying than schoolwork. This is absolutely untrue. All colleges have parties and all colleges have students who attended as their second choice. Like any school, college is what you make it. If you chose to make partying your priority then it will be, but Radford is overflowing with ambitious courses of study that take lots of time and devotion.

Melissa

One thing I would tell myself as a high school senior preparing for college would be to purposefully learn how to learn. By this I mean that I would want to view every opportunity (whether an assignment, project, lecture time, etc.) as preparation for something in the future, instead of viewing them as a checklist to be finished quickly so that I could have more free time. By learning how to learn, I would have the mindset to see them as excellent opportunities to build discipline, good study habits, and understanding for not only college but for the rest of my career and life. This leads me to a second thing I would tell myself, which would be to learn how to manage time. In college we experience a lot of freedom as we are no longer in high school, but we with this comes responsibility. It takes extra effort to learn how to balance time and make a good schedule to abide by. Furthermore, managing time requires knowing what my priorities are and how much time ought to be dedicated to them. Learning how to manage time is another lesson that would benefit me throughout all of life.

Pamela

I would tell myself to stay at home with the parents and go to a local college. Self, here are three good reasons why, expense, stress and motivation. Firstly, living at home with the parents and going to a local college will allow more money to be used for extra curricular activities and be able to travel during the summer. Secondly, the stress of juggling a job along with a full course load would causes weight gain and poor stamina( look at me). Thirdly, the disappointments that occurr when you do not make the deans list along with not meeting your GPA which in turn place you on probation where you cannot recieve financial aid (stressor).Let's not mention the irrational decisions that are made with future consequences. I have realize that if I had only stayed at home under the parents roof I would be more financially sound after college graduation ( debt free), be more of a mature responsible young adult having a better understanding of what you want out of life. This would be my advice to myself if I could go back and talk to myself.

Radford has a beautiful campus and is small enough so that students receive personalized attention.

This question has so many possibilities. If I could speak to my "high school self", I would be able to give myself the keys to success. I could be the perfect role model to myself and could essentially divulge all of the ways to avoid "future" failures. Not necessarily every failure, because I believe that not always succeeding makes a person stronger, and gives them a level head. However, I'd advise myself to avoid certain "relationships", encourage myself to get involved on campus early, and to discern a person's character when picking a good roommate. I would tell myself to not take things too seriously, don't take on more than I can handle, to work hard academically but also remember to have fun. Most importantly I would tell myself to never let anyone make me feel de-valued, to keep my head up, and to never forget who I am and what I believe in.

The illogical decisions made my those in charge. The decisions may make sense to some, but are decisions that negatively impact students on campus. They have neglected putting students first.

If I could go back in time as a high school senior and talk to myself I would tell myself to prepare early. I would tell myself to begin studying for the ACT in my Sophmore year so that I would feel more comfortable with it and take it at least three or four times. I would tell myself that I should begin looking for scolarships early on. I would also tell myself to continue to be dedicated to my studies and work hard but to also enjoy the time left I had in High School because it is an exciting time and it passes quickly.

Heather

I feel as if the worst thing about our school is the lack of school spirit and dedication to studies. Many students had other schools in mind and aren't as excited as I wish they were to be here at school. I often find our school in the shadows of other larger school nearby.

In order to attend Radford you must be self disciplined, otherwise you may find yourself being distracted with other activities. It is easy to miss class and do other things while loosing sight of why exactly you are at school.

Radford University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.