Radford University Top Questions

The most popular student group on campus is probably Greek life, and various religious groups. I was apart of the sorority Phi Sigma Sigma, but I disassociated from them in Fall 2014, for financial reasons. I was unable to afford the dues, plus I work part time so I also had to keep in mind my grades with school. After leaving the sorority, I began attending church groups on campus like D.O.C. (Disciples On Campus), and CRU

There is a very large population of students that participate in Greek Life at my University. While social fraternities and sororities remain popular, there are many professional and academic co-ed fraternities on our campus that are also extremely successful in gaining members. In addition to Greek Life there are many other societies and clubs that students could join! For example, I am a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, the National Society of Leadership and Success, and the Anthropology Club. Each organization that I am involved in has helped me to meet a variety of different students and given me many opportunities to improve my college career. Sports are also another important part of our campus community. While we may not have a football team, we have many sports team that are successful in winning our conference division! Because I am on the University's Dance Team I am very familiar with many of the sports teams. We perform at many sporting events as well as travel to Daytona Beach, Florida once a year for the National Dance Association's Collegiate Cheer/Dance Competition. We also have many traditions here that students love to get involved in! We have a Polar Plunge each winter, and in the spring we have Quadfest, which is what our school is most notoriously known for. Quadfest is the week before finals and involves the community of students to come together and enjoy a week of partying and bonding before the final week of school. Even if you don't like to drink Quadfest is still a great deal of fun! Many activities are set up right outside of campus, for example: water slides, water balloon fights, volleyball, frisbee, horse shoe, etc. Throughout the whole year, however, there are still so many things to do! One traditional activity is "floating down the river". Often times students come to town a few weeks before school begins to cook out and enjoy a day floating down the river which is walking distance from campus. Besides these traditions, on a regular week you will often find students out on the weekends, either at bars, or roaming around what our school calls "Lightside" or "Darkside". If you don't like to party there are still many things for you to do! There is a bowling alley on campus as well as a rock wall and movie theatre. It's almost impossible for one to be bored here! There will always be something to do for everyone!

Meagan

Sororities and Fraternities would probably be the most popular activities or groups on campus. I can pretty much guarantee you that you will have at least one Greek member in all of your classes. Sports are also pretty big on our campus. We also have weekly movies that play on campus and it is only $1 to see them and they are usually pretty recent movies. We have a bowling alley on campus as well as pool tables. I met my closest friends last year. We lived in the same dorm together and now this year we live off campus in an apartment. It doesn't matter what time it is, someone on campus is always up and moving around. You never feel afraid to be out at night on our campus. Every year we have the Highlander Festival in the fall where many vendors come out and we all have a great time. Off campus you can visit the park where you can play pretty much any sport or just walk by the New River. In the spring you can float out in the water or whatever you like really. We are also very close to Christiansburg and Blacksburg so you can go shopping with friends or go out to eat.

Tessa

Everyone knows what weekends are at college. You won't see anyone around campus until noon either Saturday or Sunday. Different clubs also put off different social events, like dances and bowling. Depending on exams, many students cram all night at the library or Young Hall. As for sports, the girl's sports, softball and soccer dominate. We don't have a football team, but our brother school, Virginia Tech is nearby!

Greek life is a huge deal at Radford. This comes in the form of social fraternities and sororities as well as business and academic fraternities. I am in a business fraternity that relates to my major. I spent a lot of time working on projects for my co Ed fraternity. People typically assume that all Greek life does is drink, which is often true in social Greek organizations. People party however much they choose to party. There will always be parties, but that is not all that people do. In many dorms students are not allowed to leave their doors open due to 'fire codes' I did not understand this rule when I lived in a dorm and thought it put students at a huge disadvantage to mingle with others. I met most of ,y friends through my major. Because my major is so time consuming, those are often the only people that I have the time to see in a regular day.

A lot of students in dorms leave their doors open and they all talk to each other as they walk by. there isn't a whole lot off campus, but it's nice in the spring to go to the local park and hang out by the river and sometimes go swimming in it. A tradition Radford University had is the annual Fall Highlander Fest. There are traditional games like stone tossing, food, games, a music therapy drum circle, performances and shops. There is a small suburban area only 15 minutes away from Radford and has a lot to do.

Greek life is a big part of the University. Many students really enjoy the getting to know others students in the fun and lively atmosphere that Radford geek life provides. Sports clubs are another fun way for students to get involved and stay active. Radford does not have a football team which does present a drawback, but it does make for a fun basketball season which is when the students here are full of spirit for our team! The University itself puts on a number of activities to keep student occupied, there are weekly movies to see as well as an on campus bowling alley, pool and ping pong tables all for only about $1 (cheap fun ways to stay entertained).

There is SO much to do on campus. Everybody hangs out in the dorms. There are many clubs on campus for every aspect of life. Greek life is very popular. There are 7 sororities and 12 fraternities. Social life is very active on the weekends. You can always find a fun party to be at. Radford is known for Quadfest, which is a weekend long party that is not school sponsored. People come from all over the state to join the fun. There are usually sponsors such as Red Bull and monster, and sometimes the school rents like dunk tanks and other things (this is to get everybody away from the kegs)