Radford University

« See more reviews of Radford University

The school seems to focus more on its public image than the needs of students and faculty. The President has little to no connection with the staff or students which causes tension as well as feelings of insignificance amongst the University's student body. Budget cuts as a result of this disconnect adversely affects the morale as well as optimism of professors and undergraduates, as these cuts cause strain and unnescessary stress to be placed upon the professors which then translate to the students. Overall the focus of the University should be more focused on the student/faculty relationships.

I feel that the worst thing about our school is one of the greatest things about it. We are located in the rural southwestern region of Virginia. The worst thing about it is it makes it hard to find work. More people have to move out of this area to find work and the economic downturn has not helped. The faculty here on campus is great about trying to help with this problem with networking in the surrounding areas. Even though this rural area has that negativity it is one of the things that most students enjoy here.

The worst thing about school is having to start over. For some people this could be a good thing, but going to a school where you don't know anyone and an introvert can be a hard adjustment. I still wouldn't say that this is the "worst thing" but just a hard thing. Some may say that having 8 ams is the worst thing about college but having to go to class and learn is what we all should be here for and it's just part of the college process.

There are many great things about Radford University that is why I chose to attend this school. Although a downfall of the university would be that many students feel that every night seems to be a good time to go out. It can become dangerous to fall into this routine, and within the past semester I have seen a many fellow students lose interest in why they are here. It is important to remember that studying is the focus of our expenses.

Radford University has recently seen a few ups and downs within the administrative positions with Penelope Kyle getting rasies, firing employees and having them come back. This isn't a setback to us students though, we believe that no matter what Penny Kyle does in the administrative offices we will still be hard-working RU students. Other than administrative issues there is not one thing I do not like about Radford University.

The worst thing about Radford is it's reputation. Here in this part of Virginia, Radford is known for being a party school and that's not completely true. Yes there is partying, but that's a typical college. There's no more partying here than at any other college around here, and it's reputation makes it hard for you to get people to take you and your education seriously once they find out where you attend college.

If you are unsure of a major, take general education courses to get a feel for what you like. Do not settle for a major or you will be miserable. I came in unsure of what to major in. I was thinking of business until I found anthropology and I fell in love with it and realized that if I had stuck with business I would have hated it.

The worst thing about my school is that during the weekends there aren't any interesting places to go. Our surrounding community has a mall that is extremely small and a couple department stores and a movie theatre, but that's it. After several months the surrounding neighborhood gets boring.

The parking at RU is not as adequate as it should be. There are always enough parking spaces, but most of the open ones are very far away. There is also no parking close to campus except on the weekends, and there is not anywhere to park to load or unload stuff from your dorm.

I feel as if the worst thing about our school is the lack of school spirit and dedication to studies. Many students had other schools in mind and aren't as excited as I wish they were to be here at school. I often find our school in the shadows of other larger school nearby.