Mahwah, NJ
Ramapo College of New Jersey

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ramapo College of New Jersey

Fixed  rate loan

Iris

This school had a beautiful campus and for the most part, the majority of the professors really wanted their students to lear...

This school had a beautiful campus and for the most part, the majority of the professors really wanted their students to learn.

The advice I would have given to myself is first off, to have looked more colleges in depth. I am now transferring to a different college because I did not really like the environment of the college that I was attending. Additionally, I would have told myself to apply to more scholarships as a senior. I really struggled financially this year because I had to pay all my college expenses myself and not having that support hit me hard. Make sure to apply to as many scholarships as you can. Be responsible also. I know that college is a big change, and many want to have the whole college experience with partying, making new friends and all of that, but what I noticed that many students did was loose sight of why they came to college in the first place. Do not solely focus on the social aspect of college, you are there for your education, and even if you are that loser that stays in saturday nights studying, it's okay. Don't feel singled out because you're doing what you came there for--to learn. Lastly, college is stressful, so give yourself a break sometimes.

Many students would go out at night during school days and on the weekend and people would be very rude and loud during the night when I was trying to sleep. I understood that many students wanted to have the full college experience, but I feel like many forgot why they came to college in the first place--to learn. Also, for what I was majoring in, I basically had to teach myself everything in order understand the content. I knew my teachers wanted me to learn, but they just weren't very helpful in explaining things.

Matthew

Classmates are pretty freidnly but a little cliche (but most colleges are cliche).

I would advise students to be involved. Join two or three clubs and really get to know the people in them. Doiing this will greatly enhance your college experience.

Their was nothing that frustating. Its a school where people are pretty easy to get along with.

Assuming I could go back in time, I would give myself allot of advice. First, get involved! Try out new sports, clubs, AP courses and Honor Societies.

Someone who does'nt know where to begin with their studies.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that most of my professors know english as thier second language. They are very hard to understand.

Cheyenne

It is a very small school, allowing for attention from teachers and the ability to form relationships with others. It also has 4 credit courses that require 5 hours of out of class experience involving each class. This helps to force students to go outside the classroom. They also require internships. By the time we leave here we will all have actual experience and knowledge that you cannot get just from the classroom.

To My Past Self, Do your homework and learn study habits that will actually help. I know you do excellent without this, but learning the skills to succeed will help you when you do graduate. Practice time management better, college will consume your life and you need to know how to handle it. Also, appreciate the lack of responsibility you have now because having to pay for things and work overnights while having class during the day is not fun or easy but you have to do it to get by. Next, don't be scared; find what you love and go for it. Apply for every scholarship possible because then you can try to avoid this massive amount of loan debt. Finally, I know how easy it is to have friends in high school because you see the same people everyday, in college it is not the same. Make an effort to reach out to people you do not see regularly and see if you make any connections with them. I know it sounds scary but you will love it. Learning and growing is truly a beautiful thing. Just make sure you are working hard to get here.

I have made some very strong friendships, have had a lot of time to work on school work, and have managed to find a job on campus. The school has forced me to work harder based on the classes I pick and it has helped me gain a lot of knowledge because of it.

João

Ramapo students usually fall within a few categories, there are those who are highly involved with the "liberal" aspects of their education; they are interested in joining clubs and talking about social equality, those who are dedicated to their majors and spend time researching/working on their projects, and those who are passing and/or do not take full advantage of campus ammenities.

There are times when life gives you breaks and allows you to breathe in between growing up and accepting new responsibilities, this is often not one of those times. Nothing you did in high school, including your AP work, will prepare you for the shock brought about by deadlines, extra-curricular work, expenditures and the sheer amount of time you will spend both doing your work and thinking about whether you should do it or not. Absences matter way more, and this time they count against your grade. Some teachers will become pseudo-best friends, others will not look you in the eye, and some will even hurt your feelings. You might cry, and there are days you will. Your roommates will snore loudly, and in the beginning you will feel bad about waking them up, but you’ll stop honoring their rest once it keeps you from yours. “Crap! It’s midnight” will turn into “Oh, it’s only midnight,” and later evolve into “3:00 am? Pshh, I got this.” Your parents will get tough on you, yes, tougher than before, and you’ll wish you had applied to many more scholarships earlier. So please, do them now.

Prospects students should not be afraid to step out of their comfort zones and explore the different facets of Ramapo's inclusive campus. The college is, unfortunately, highly oriented to dorming students, therefore commuting students might face technicalities. This being said, either kind of student can thrive if they like to explore and spend time outside of class learning about the material provided. Students should want to receive a Liberal Arts education and have an open mind about the variety of courses offered. Students should also be dedicated not only to their major, but any class at hand.

Jonathan

The Course Enrichment Component (CEC) consists of a minimum of five hours of unmonitored experience outside the classroom that enhances the student learning that takes place within the classroom. These experiences, which expand student learning, could include visits to museums, guest lectures, library programs, colloquia, assigned TVshows, movies, participation in class projects, service learning, convocations, trips to professional meetings, and among others. It blends classroom theory with real world application and practice.

I never took school seriously, but I did enjoy my time. I am not sure if it was ignorance or a lack of preparation, but my academic and social performances were very lackluster. During the spring of my junior year, I experienced an epiphany after overhearing a friend describe some accomplishment. I immediately felt inferior and insecure. I was the same age, was enrolled in similar classes, yet did not experience any sort of success. From that point on, I though long term. My immediate academic actions have long lasting effects. It doesn't matter how long you take, as you as you make an honest effort and not be afraid to ask for help. My story is different and is unique in that I may not have experienced any life challenging obstacles or major adversity; however I represent the group of people that fly under the radar and show we can be something. I would say this to past self, as well as to current students through my work as an admissions recruiter. People have taken me under their “wing” during my time at Raritan Valley community and at Ramapo College and have allowed me to develop my potential.

This isn't the fault of Ramapo College, but the most frustrating thing about attending college is the time of transition. Regardless if one is transitioning from another college or high school, the adjustment period is a real thing and influences students differently. Students remain within one setting for a such long period of time, then it suddenly stops and they are now in a more adult, realsitic academic and social situtaition. Some students engage in activities that are stereotypical of the "college experience" and some embrace the change and opportunity to become diverse.

Charity

The number one piece of advice I would give myself is to start right away; don't wait until you feel trapped by circumstances of life and it takes you years to rediscover yourself. However, if, by chance, you find yourself years down the road and Plan A seems to have been so far away, it's never, ever too late to dream again. Your priorities will change and so will parts of you, but if you have the courage to take the first step, you'll realize that you're capable of doing things you never thought you'd have to do. Keep your head up, a smile on your face, and NEVER stop believing that the best is yet to come. Because, High-School-Me, do you remember that feeling of possibility? Do you remember feeling that life was simply grand and the sky was the limit? Well, you were right.

Philippa

Ramapo is best known for its party school reputation, which it no longer lives up to. With overbearing public safety, campus life has been numbed into solemn students with no motivation.

I would advise myself to take advantage of the college social life more in my freshman year. Freshman year is a relatively easy going year and should be taken full advantage of. I should have dedicated more of my time getting out more and meeting new people, rather than sitting in a room on a computer.

The worst part about my school was I never felt truly challenged or compelled to learn. The environment created by professors was never one in which i felt was enhancing my development and made me question where $20,000 of money had gone.

If I could go back in time and talk to my highschool self, the most important advice I would give is to trust yourself and continue to push through when things get tough. I wouldn't change the path that brought me to attend Ramapo College of NJ and I would do the exact same things as I did when I was a senior in high school. Transferring to three different colleges in three years was not easy, but it was important to take those chances and follow my dreams. If I did not take that road, I would not have been able to decide on a major or experience everything I have. Overall, I would let my young self know that all the perserverance and dreaming will pay off one day and you must stick with things no matter what.

I think the best thing about Ramapo are the teachers. I have never been in a classroom where the teachers know every students' name and are so encouraging. They are passionate and want every student to succeed. The work load can be challenging, but the teacher's at Ramapo guide you every step of the way.

The most frustrating aspect is the food that is offered. Both cafeterias are buffet style and I almost always have a tough time finding something to eat that genuinely tastes good. Latenight dining from 9pm-1am is when they serve the best food. They offer many choices, I just wish it was cooked better.

Dalton

This year of highschool is very important to you and your future. You need to try harder, finish your homework, focus on the markerboard and not the girls around you, and raise your GPA because if you get use to the hard work now it will make your college experience much easier. You will make mistakes, and they will turn out for the best in the end, although I do suggest finishing a full year of college before you put your schooling on hold.Try your hardest becasue the grades will matter, college isn't about sports and girls, it's about making a better life for you and your family-to-be. It took me three years, and a baby girl on the way, to realize that I needed to take a step back and start my college education over. I know it will be hard, but in the end it'll make you happier and inspire your daughter to be the best she can be.

Ramapo College of New Jersey administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.