Mahwah, NJ
Ramapo College of New Jersey

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ramapo College of New Jersey

Fixed  rate loan

Andrea

The best thing about Ramapo College has to be the amount of students in each. I know most people hear this all the time but it truly does make a difference. As a science major i find it very helpful to be able to ask my professors when things aren't clear to me. I'd change the food in Birch, one of the food places. It always makes me feel bad. The size of the school is just right because it isn't so big where you have to leave 30 minutes before your class but it isn't so small where you feel like everyone is someone you already know. Most of my time on campus is spent at various of my friends' dorms.

Greek life is a big part of Ramapo. I am mostly involved with the RCNJ NSCS which is an honor society for collegiate students. The most popular athletic event has to be the basketball games. I met my closest friends at a dance that the Residence Hall committees sponsored. Every year there is the Relay for Life event that is a big deal at Ramapo.

At my school the women's center is very active in trying to educate our school population on all types of different issues. I find this to be very helpful because it prevents ignorant comments and feeling educated about certain subjects makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

I know all of my professors names as well as their emails. My favorite class is biology, although, it is also my hardest. The amount of time students study really depends on their major and their own personal preference. Class participation in my biology class always occurs. Dr. Petro usually has demonstration to help with hard concepts so it helps to participate if you are having trouble with that particular concept. The most unique class is definitely biology. I am so interested in the class because i learn so much even though i hate it at the same time because of the amount of studying you have to do. I am an integrated sciences major which is basically a combination of social sciences as well as applied sciences.

My school is stereotyped as being really boring during the weekends but in reality it can be a really good time. There are various programs that are sponsored by many different groups that offer the chance to interact with other students while having fun and receiving free food and prizes.

gabrielle

the best thing is the small class sizes which allow you to make connections with professors. there are also many places besides the library to relax and get work done and at the same time plenty of places and opportunities to mingle.

most popular clubs and activities are cultural

the students usually have a lot in common even though interests range from sports to music

they offer plenty of unique and challenges courses but you are always able to lighten up your course load with less demanding classes.

Most people are right to believe that students at ramapo come from similar demographics and live close to campus. ramapo is often referred to as a commuter or back-pack school. many live locally and go home on the weekends.

Danielle

I am a Nursing major at Ramapo and I think if you're after a great academic school this is the place to be. It's definitely not the place for partying, you get in trouble easily and pay alot of fines. But if you're focused on school work this is your school!

Ramapo has a fairly new campus. There are no stone buildings and classrooms that you sweat to death in. The buildings are all knew, with glass windows as the walls of the buildings. All of the buildings are air-conditioned and heated. The fields for sports are across the street from the main campus, all organized together. Other than that, there are multiple dorms around campus with the Academic Building and Business Building at the heart of the campus. The Village apartments for seniors is all the way on the right side of campus blocked by the general parking lot.

What are your classes like?

All of my professors make class interesting and fun. They do power points for notes, followed by videos or movies, and discussion questions. One of my other classes is the most interesting because we listen to songs and poetry, discuss them, and then have discussions on the readings for homework. I chose my classes based on what I would enjoy and what I could get involved in, not based off of easiness.

Ramapo College has a WIDE variety of clubs on campus that range from history to art to LGBT to anything you can think of! If you are having trouble finding friends that you can open up to, I guarantee you'll fit in in the club of your choice. Other than that, Ramapo College is big on sororities and fraternities and they aren't party animals like most colleges, these Greek groups focus on helping organizations and donating to good causes.

The students at Ramapo College are of a wide variety. At most colleges or universities you can put a percentage of the ethnicity of students on campus but there is an even division at Ramapo. All of the students are open-minded and loving towards one another. There is a Women's Center where LGBT members or anyone is welcome, it's a great place to express yourself freely without being judged. Most students either dress down for class or dress up, its a very free spirited school.

Ramapo College is most known by its high standings with academics. The classes are hard, the professors are hard, but it is all well worth it. You get the education you paid for and the professors really try and get to know each individual student. My favorite class is Death and Loss in Later Life and my professor, Dr. Scotty, is so genuine and caring. It's without a doubt a difficult class but it is so interesting and rewarding. The hard classes at Ramapo are definitely worth while.

At Ramapo College of New Jersey most students go home on weekends because most of us live close to home. It's known as a "backpack" school. More students are trying to get everyone to stay by having more events on campus but so far it hasnt been successful. This stereotype is true.

They are lazy and do not want to leave their rooms to enjoy all that Ramapo has to offer. I think in part it is. I usually hear students complaining about how how the college doesn't do "enough" for the students in terms of social programming, but Ramapo really does. It is the STUDENTS who are not proactive and who do not attend all the events the College Programming Board. It is not to say that everyone thinks like that, but a good portion does.

Danielle

Choosing Ramapo College was one of the best choices that I have ever made (besides studying abroad). The school is big enough where you do not see the same people every day but small enough to have a really solid group of friends. In my opinion, Ramapo is a hidden gem. The campus is tucked away in the Ramapo Valley Mountains so it is really hidden from the rest of the world. But, we have NYC right at our fingertips. The academics are excellent, challenging, but really superb. It would be hard not to get involved at Ramapo because of the number of teams, organizations, frats, sororities, and clubs that we have. The professors here are top of the line. What is really great about them is that because we have such small class sizes, the professors are able to give you the individual attention that you need. I also want to mention that the residence halls are the nicest I have seen in my entire life. And that says a lot because when I was applying to schools, I visited over 15!!!! So, I have seen my fair share of college dorm rooms.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Ramapo has seven dining hall options: 1. The Sensible Six -Six meals per week in the two buffet style dining halls + $450 in Flex. 2. The Tasty Ten -Ten meals per week + $200 in Flex. 3. The Super Fourteen -14 meals per week + $200 in Flex. 4. The Unlimited -Unlimited meals in the buffet style dining halls + $50 in Flex. 5. The Laurel Plan -ONLY $400 in Flex (no meals per week) 6. Only Flex/Ramapo Bucks -You can choose just to have flex dollars or ramapo bucks which carry over each year. 7. No Meal Plan -If you have a full kitchen in your apartment on campus you can opt out of having a meal plan. The food is really great. We have two buffet style dining halls which always have a variety of different foods for vegetarians, vegans or anyone with special dietary needs. Then they have the grill with lots of different types of burgers, fries etc, then hometown which is themeat and potatoes of the foot. We always have pizza, and also an on call chef. We also always have cereal, salad, sandwiches, fruits, drinks, coffee, tea, etc.

I think Ramapo is unique in the sense that we have such a diverse community and everyone has their own passion and something they excel in. Bringing together 5,500 students, all with their own talents and abilities teaches us all a lot about how beautiful diversity is.

When you step off campus what do you see?

The beautiful Ramapo Valley Mountains. They are literally right across the street. You can also see the brand new and beautiful sports fields.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports are a big enough part of our campus where a lot of people attend the games and even go crazy enough to paint their bodies and faces. Unfortunately, we do not have a football team but we certainly make up for that with other sports and events. It is fun to watch because the NJAC - our conference- is very competitive but the Ramapo Roadrunners always rule the courts!

On the first day of school, after you and your family move your stuff into your dorm, freshmen students gather at a big assembly. From that assembly, we lead the freshmen to the stone path. This path is a long hill surrounded by big rocks and beautiful trees that lead to the school's main academic center. Lining the stone path are the parents of the freshmen students. The freshmen then walk up the path with their parents clapping, cheering, and of course, crying. They are then lead under the Arch which is our school symbol and they are then welcomed as Ramapo Students. Then, on Graduation day, the seniors repeat that same tradition but instead of walking up the hill, they walk down, and their professors are the ones that line the path cheering them on, clapping, and crying as they give their students, their babies, to the real world. It is so beautiful and so nostalgic.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Psychology, Biology, Business and Nursing are some of our largest and most popular majors. Our Business school just received accreditation, which less than 4 percent of business schools world receive that honor. Our nursing program is top of the line but only seats 90 students max so you have to apply early and have excellent grades to get in. Many students enjoy taking astronomy classes, social issues, teacher ed courses and other classes with fieldwork included.

Ramapo College is one of the most beautiful campuses I have ever seen. It is located in the heart of the Ramapo Mountains and is like a scene from a Thomas Kinkade painting. During the Fall semester, the leaves are just changing and when you look out of your classroom or residence hall window you can see the mountains and the trees changing colors. The campus is very new and has many contemporary buildings, but there are a few areas that resemble old cottages from a fairy tale and it is so beautiful. The hills at the campus make everything look so elegant and graceful. I love walking through Ramapo and admiring the beautiful scenery and gorgeous buildings. In the winter, the snow shelters the trees and makes everything look like a winterwonderland. It is amazing how the campus evolves over the course of the seasons and it is so picturesque to look at.

What are your classes like?

My classes are so much fun. I am a Spanish major and generally my classes have about 5 to 10 students. The classes are so exciting and interactive and really easy to get involved in. My teachers have made learning so much fun because they bring a lot of outside knowledge into the classroom and share experiences from when they worked in the field. I love taking classes here.

Fraternities and sororities are really cool organizations to get involved in. We have so many different ones that our students can get involved in. What is nice about Ramapo is that there really is a club or activity that EVERY student can get involved in whether it is athletic, social, academic, interest etc. Athletic events are exciting to go to especially volleyball and basketball. On the weekends we have a lot of parties, go out to clubs, attend on campus events, go to frat houses off campus, and enjoy the company of our peers. You do not have to drink to have a good time here. We have a lot of non alcohol events on campus and they are SO much fun! We also have NYC about 30 minutes away and that creates a whole other world of fun for our students.

Ramapo has many different people and the diversity on our campus is what makes this place so wonderful. We have groups for everyone regardless o your religion, race, nationality, sexuality, socio-economic status etc. We really have organizations, majors, clubs, and groups for everyone. What I find to be really great is that organizations mesh well with groups that are polar opposite to themselves. Bringing together different groups of people contribute to the appreciation our students have for being different and diverse. Most students are from New Jersey, however, we have a lot of international students from overseas. That is so cool! A lot of our students are very active in politics. I have found that we are very liberal here. However, the diversity of the school really brings together everyones differences nicely.

The academics at Ramapo are top of the line. This liberal arts college has an incredible amount of majors, minors, concentrations, and programs that you can study. The classes are small (max size is 30 students) and the teachers really get to know you. I find that the classes here are easy to get involved in because they are not straight lectures; all of my classes have been discussion based. Unlike larger universities, Ramapo does not offer lecture halls and all of your classes are interactive, fun, interesting, and contemporary. I love learning here because the level of intelligence of my peers and the knowledge of the professors here really contributes to a positive learning experience. I am a Spanish Major and I am also getting a certification to teach K-12. I also declared minors in Latin American Studies and International Business. I am part of so many different sections of the school and that really has diversified my learning. Professors have an open door policy and will work with you until you understand everything that they are teaching. I strongly believe that the academics here are incredible and really prepare students for the real world.

The students at my school are really diverse. I would not say there is a particular stereotype. If I had to choose something that seems to fit the whole campus I would say we are all sorority girls or frat boys.

Christopher

If I could go back in time and give my high school self some advice, I would tell myself two things. First, take more AP courses. With only two AP courses, I walked into college with 12 credits, placing me almost a full semester ahead. The second piece of advice that I would give myself would be to venture outside my dorm room more often during the first month of school. I was somewhat shy during the first month and associated primarily with friends who had gone to the same high school. When I finally did start venturing outside of my room more often to do homework in the dorm lounge I made a lot of friends to whom I became very close. I would have greatly enjoyed getting to know them earlier than I did, and thus that would be the primary advice that I would give to myself.

Someone who wants to get a good education at a reasonable price. Those who should attend this school are those who are looking for somewhere down to earth to earn their diploma.

People should not attend this school if they are just looking to party. About half of the students commute and the school has become more and more selective recently, looking more for students who are there to learn rather than there to party.

Rebecca

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior I would have told myself to study harder and to use all the tools available to me. I had a very hard time at the start of my college career and I changed majors several times as well. Now that I'm at a new school and I believe I have finalized my major that is the one thing I wish I could have told myself. I also would have said to take things more seriously because if I had I wouldn't have taken a break from school to get myself organized again.

Hailee

At Ramapo College, the classmates are all students from the general area in New Jersey. I have yet to encounter someone who is not from either New Jersey or New York. It seems as if most of the students who attend Ramapo College are either commuters, have transfered in from a community college or are using Ramapo College as a temporary school before transfering elsewhere. The classmates seem to be interactive and engaged in their studies; however, often it feels as if there is a major gap between those who are greatly educated and those who need academic help.

The transition from high school to college served as a huge transformation in my academic self. In high school I was the girl who was smart, but did not apply her knowledge in the best possible way. I was very lazy when it came to school work, doing everything at the last minute and only doing what was absolutely required of myself. I graduated with a 3.75 gpa and never got any grade below a B, but always knew I could have done better if I had only applied myself. When I got to college I realized I wanted to do my absolute best, and prove to my high school self that I was capable of greater. As a college sophomore now, I have a cumulative grade point average and have an amazing work ethic. I realize attending class and doing everything possible to learn and maintain a great grade point average is essential. I would tell my high school self to care more and always apply my best when taking a class. School is not only to get good grades, but to obtain knowledge to use outside of the classroom. Knowledge and education are key in life.

Although Ramapo College of New Jersey is a wonderful school, the worst thing about it is the limited opportunities to integrate with other students who attend the university. Last year I was a student at another school where there were many opportunities and events to participate in that brought everyone in the school together. Ramapo College may offer some events, but they are not advertised and students are not greatly encouraged to attend. Ramapo College could do a much better job at extending the invitation to events or creating new events for the students to participate in as a whole.

Chris

My classmates are a melting pot of cultural, religious, racial, and economic diversity, which allows for a rich environment in which we can learn from one another in addition to learning from our classes.

The value of a college education began to benefit me the moment that I opened the little white envelope. I had been accepted into the Ramapo College of New Jersey with a Provost scholarship. I had always been a hard worker, but seeing the words “You’re Accepted!” made all of my hard work and perseverance seem worthwhile. This helped to affirm for me the American Dream; the promise that success comes to those who work for it, as a reality. Once I arrived, I adjusted quickly to the new environment, meeting new people and jumping into my new classes. One of these classes was American Government. In addition to providing me with the necessary social sciences credits for graduation, it gave me a much broader and personal sense of understanding the 2010 midterm elections. It made the nationwide election coverage real to me and helped me to understand how the democratic process truly affects me as an American citizen. I ended the semester with not only a 3.933 grade point average, but with a solidified understanding of both the American Dream and of my role as an American citizen.

The best aspect of Ramapo College is the value. It provides a terrific academic program, with phenomenal housing, good food, and all for the price of a state school. For my major specifically, Communication Arts, they offer five different concentrations to choose from, more than any other school that I visited. The school additionally provides students with a gym, two dining halls, and frequent social events. The faculty is well educated and students are given the chance to provide anonymous feedback on their teachers at the end of the semester, taking the students opinions into account.

Adriana

On August 29th, when I moved into college I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Was I going to love it there? Was I going to love the classes and my roommates? It was complete new territory that brought on so many responsibilities that were completely new for me. As it turned out, some of my roommates are people I will never forget, while some were not what I expected. Being put into this suite with six other girls was going to be a huge challenge for me. Living in my own room at home with only my mother, I had no idea what it was going to be like living with six people, let alone six girls! Throughout the first month there were a few issues with some of the girls, but it was a learning experience. We all learned to get along, or tolerate each other. We learned each other’s strengths and weaknesses. It was something new for us all, so we were all stuck with the new responsibilities. I believe we all grew up and learned things about ourselves. College is a learning experience, which is why I believe is it very valuable.

Before entering Ramapo College I wish I had known that the school has no weekend life and does not allow for much of a social life. During my first campus tour, the tour guide let us prospective students in on some of the details from school, but forgot to mention that the school was a suitecase school; meaning that everyone packs up and goes home on the weekends. For someone dorming at college, I certainly do not want to go home every weekend, so that would happen to be the one thing I wish i knew before enrolling into school.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of on campus activities for residents. There are many flyers around campus for these activities, but they never go as planned or there are not many students at them. I have tried to attend the weekend activities, but being a suitecase school, there are not many people a these events. During the week days, the events are a little more involed, but that is also when i have tons of school work to do. If the activities actually made people stay at school, things would be more fun for residents.

Ramapo College of New Jersey administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.