Ramapo College of New Jersey Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ramapo College of New Jersey

I love Ramapo. From the moment I got here I felt safe and comfortable. Thanks to the awesome resources and wonderful staff I am able to focus on my academics while also having fun. Events are always going on and people are friendlier than you'd imagine. This place is the best.

John

Ramapo College is a worthy, affordable alternative to many private schools in the area. The campus is visually very pretty, and the Ramapo Reservation is right across the street, offering excellent hiking trails with waterfalls, lakes, and vistas overlooking the campus and even glimpsing the distant New York City skyline. Because of its proximity to the reservation, there are also an abundant amount of animals (birds, deer, groundhogs, skunks, occaisionally even bears, and more!) that wander onto campus. While the woods are right across the street, New York City is less than an hour away, making it possible for students to accept jobs or internships in the city or near the city during times or on days when they aren't in class. The buildings and facilities are generally nice and up-to-date, with improvements and updates constantly being done on different buildings and computer labs. The nursing, science, and business buildings are in the best conditions, as they are the newest and have the latest technology and equipment. The academics are generally high-quality with few exceptions. For the most part, at least in my experience, classes will challenge you and teach you important skills and knowledge. Many of the professors are accessible and willing to work with you to help you be successful. In terms of career counseling, I feel Ramapo has some room for improvement. While the career advisors are helpful in checking your resume and offering tips on how to get hired, Ramapo lacks connections with many companies and lists many menial positions on the career site for which college degrees aren't even required.

Anthony

If I had the opportunity to reverse time and rethink my undergraduate college, I would still apply to Ramapo and only Ramapo. My fellow students were some of the most diverse, artistic, well-rounded, and intelligent group of students I have ever known. It has been said that we are a combination of everyone we have ever known. If that is true, I will always be proud to be a culmination of what Ramapo College has to offer. Courses in any major are challenging, intensive, and comprehensive. However, our professors genuinely enjoy teaching and making themselves available. Their goal is to challenge you, test you, and help you grow. Easy A's may be difficult to come by, but if you do get higher grades than you could have possibly imagined, it is because you have earned them. There are plenty of great times to be had on campus. There are many friends to be made and events to attend for students engaged in a wide variety of interests. You will meet some of your best friends to help you through the hard times while you enjoy the good times. I will always be grateful to Ramapo College for unlocking the potential I did not realize I had.

Brianna

Small and quaint, but I love it here

Lena

If you want to be at a college you can call home Ramapo is the place for you. It is very small but personally thats my favorite part, you get to know most of the people you are going to college with. The class size is small and professors generally want to help and see you succeed. Ramapo also offers many ways to get involved, I play on the volleyball team, am part of greek life and many other clubs and organizations. I also do not know what to say about the dorms, they are by far the best dorms at college in the entire state of NJ.

Nilda

I love it. Not only do they have a caring and supportive staff, they have a beautiful campus and great food. My nieces went with me to family day and are now graduating this year as well as the youngest becoming the newest Roadrunner of the family. I couldn't be more thrilled. If you want, Ramapo has it. Affordable, beautiful and competitive training in all majors. You can't ask for a better Liberal Arts Public College.

Michelle

Ramapo college is an amazing place if you love the quiteness and openness of the campus. Can be boring at times but I love it. The food is pretty good and changes every day. The caffateria is even open at 10:30-1 in the morning for mid night snacks and brain food. The class sizes are small which is another big reason why I love this school. The teachers are very helpful.

Leah

Pretty good, great professors, and lots of extracurriculars to choose from, but not a lot happening at night or on the weekends

Jenny

Absolutely love my campus! There's always a familiar face even if you don't know the persons name. Although there have been some rocky point to the safety of students on campus, I have never felt my own safety was in harms way. A little bit of a suitcase school, I have still managed to find people around whenever I needed company other than my roommates!

Noelle

I absolutely adore Ramapo College of New Jersey! I transferred here this past year, and my experience has been phenomenal. I have never encountered such a lovely, welcoming group of students before. Ramapo feels like home, and it felt that way from the beginning. When I attended accepted students' day I could just feel that this was the school for me. There are so many opportunities at Ramapo. This school has afforded me so many opportunities which I can put on my resume. I did more last semester than I did all year at my previous school. It astounds me to think about how much I have been able to accomplish here in just two semesters, and I am beyond excited to keep going! This school has lit a fire in me and I am thrilled to be able to pursue any dream or ambition that I can think up. It is overall a fantastic school, and I wish that I had started out here as opposed to transferring from a different university. I am only a sophomore, but I am already feeling sad and reluctantly counting down the days until I am going to have to leave!

Lily

It is amazing! Small class sizes, beautiful on campus housing (one dorm has a movie theater!!!), (not really any off campus housing options though), very safe campus with a 24/7 security gate, great professors with tons of time to give to students outside of class, large amount of clubs/organizations, beautiful resources (amazing gym, great library, tons of computer labs - some even 24 hours, etc.). It is located in the scenic Ramapo Mountains area and is just gorgeous and amazing!!!

Haley

Ramapo is a smaller school, which I enjoy very much. You can walk everywhere on campus through the buildings if you wanted. The campus is beautiful and there is plenty to do. So many clubs and organizations, a beautiful reservation just minutes from campus and we are only about 20 minutes from Palisades mall and Garden State Plaza. The campus is beautiful and the dorms aren't the worst. They could be better but they could be much worse. The food could definitely be better, but what do you expect? Personally, I love the small class sizes and being able to know most of the people in my major is really helpful when it comes to study groups and scheduling classes. It is a very safe campus because the campus police are always around. I am very happy with my decision to go to this school.

Leah

I feel as if I'm getting a personalized education at Ramapo, because of how invested the professors and faculty members are into seeing me succeed. There are a lot of opportunities to get involved on campus if you look for them, and you can really get as much out of your experience here as you put into it. Overall, I definitely feel like I am being prepared to be successful in my life after college, as a person and as a worker.

Love the school! Welcomes all students and keeps everyone involved. Ramapo College of New Jersey is in a beautiful setting that provides all seasons and has an array of opportunities to get active both on and off of campus. Intellectual and sporting events are both encouraged. Plenty of opportunities for new students to get help on campus. Really a wonderful place for everyone to feel welcome, safe, and at home.

Jonathan

It's a pretty good school if you like it small. I'm currently a freshman in Ramapo College and I quite enjoy my experience. A very beautiful campus, with a high affinity to nature. With a variety of extracurricular activities to do, you won't get bored that easily here.

Daniel

Ramapo college is very small and accessible, making it easy to get to classes. Also, the class sizes are fairly small as well. The food is pretty good, but there are not that many options available to students. There are too many activities going on during the day, but there is usually somethin going on at nights.

Jacqueline

Ramapo is a really great college! I am a commuter, so I am on campus four days a week, but all my professors always offer to come up on days we don't meet or even weekends, to sit down and help with whatever you may need. The professors are always willing to help and that is a big plus to Ramapo. Even though the closest deli to Ramapo that is off campus is about a 10 minute drive, it is located in a nice area a across from the campus is a reservation where you can go hiking and just enjot being outside.

Jimmy

If you are looking to attend a college that offers nothing more than an adequate education than Ramapo fits the bill. If you are looking to have fun you better join a fraternity because the social life here is non existent. Smoking weed is acceptable but if you are caught drinking be prepared to pay a hefty fine and do some community service. Overall i wish i went anywhere else.

Kaitlyn

The campus is absolutely beautiful! It changes with the season breathtakingly and animals are often seen passing through. It is a lively college community on the weekdays but on the weekends, the campus is quiet. But most importantly the college needs more diversity! One can never have too much diversity!

ASHLEY

Ramapo college is a school for everyone to feel involved and comfortable. It such a tight community and everyone knows each other and looks after each other. Being that it is a small institution the class room size is something to really appreciate. The teachers are always involved throughout your academic career and care about you every step of the way. You're not just a number to them you actually matter.

D'jaunae

Ramapo College of New Jersey ensures that the safety of their students comes first. With approximately 600 cameras on campus, and public safety being in our near reach we are highly protected. The prevention of alcohol and drugs are also a taken seriously, and Ramapo's staff makes sure that they're students are knowledgeable of public safety policies , in which a printed sheet of the schools' emergency numbers are taped on every on campus student's refrigerator. Ramapo also possesses the luxury of having great suits.

Jamie

Ramapo is a small school with great teacher to student ratio. 50% of students live on campus while the other 50% commute. Our nursing building is brand new with the most up-to-date technology

The campus and people give off a very homely and intellectual feeling. When I went for the Art Open House, I knew that this was the college that I wanted to attend. The college seems to care about the students, helping them explore and expand on their majors. This is definitely a college to put on a "I love it" list.

Waleska

I am someone who visits Ramapo College of New Jersey Frequently due to my program. I have met many amazing staff members and students who go to school here and have heard many good things about this college. There seem to be many great opportunities​ here.

Selena

Ramapo is the best school around. I was accepted into Montclair and Rutgers but Ramapo is by far the best school. My experience at Ramapo has been nothing but amazing. I am so happy I made the right decision and decided to attend here. I have so much fun and there is always something going on. I love everything about Ramapo.

Tricia

Ramapo College is a great school for students who strive for personalized learning. A school large enough to meet new people, and small enough to see your friends all the time. There are so many opportunities for students to have fun on and off campus! Including clubs, organizations, and Greek life events open to all students. Our initiative as a school is for no students to want to go home on the weekends. This school always has something going on, students just have to participate. As for learning, we have the Cahill Career Development center that hosts job fairs, and events for resume building etc. a very useful office to take one's major and provide hands on experience in the workforce. I love my school, and i urge people to choose Ramapo College. Plus on a side note, second best dorms in Jersey next to Princeton!

Emma

Ramapo College holds a multitude of rich educational opportunities and experiences within and outside of the classroom. One of the most important, yet simple considerations when looking at a school is looking to see whether or not the students are happy. As a student who lives on campus, I can say with certainty that Ramapo was the best decision. The college is a community that nurtures the intellectual curiosity of its students through rendering accessible a plethora of resources and opportunities. These opportunities include career advisement and networking events, tutoring services for no charge, small classrooms with no more than 35 students a course, research experience with academic professors, and over one hundred clubs and organizations to join and meet other like-minded individuals. Professors are accessible and with small class sizes they get to know their students and it personalizes the experience for both parties involved. Ramapo College has fostered an inclusive and diverse environment for their students to truly take advantage of and draw from as they move forward in their educational and occupational endeavors.

Chrissy

Overall, Ramapo College is an okay school. It has the small class sizes, yet some of its professors are lacking in engaging with students. The food is not great, but they are trying to provide better options for students. Public safety is excellent and Residence Life is top tear at this institution. The campus is beautiful and the school is what you make out of it.

paige

Ramapo College offers a lot to it's students. All the buildings are accessible to all students. I love that I can go to the fitness center (gym) whenever i want all year round. I love that my boyfriend can play guitar in the music studios even though he isn't a music major. there is just a lot of resources to take advantage of. We are constantly updated on events that occur on campus through our Ramapo daily digest which is an email news letter. Students are given all they can in order to further their education and move forward in life because the professors really take pride in their student's learning, and the offices are all ready to help any student. I am a commuter now and honestly I feel just as apart of the Ramapo family as I did when I dormed. I am here every weekend to see my friends and have a good time, maybe even go on a hike at the Ramapo Reservation just to pet some dogs.

Joe

Due to some rape cases that were blown up...everyone now faces hefty fines($500) for drinking and possible expulsion. But, if you're part of the baseball team or basketball team, feel free to have no qualms and do whatever you want. (for example: chase down some deer or get chased down by a pizza truck...) Yes, there's no denying that the campus is beautiful and the dorms are tolerable (no communal bathrooms), but its a gilded cage--enjoy your beautiful prison.

James

It is a wonderful, clean campus with great professors and a helpful administrative staff. One of its biggest downfalls is that the professors often live far away from campus and don't hold a great deal of office hours and most students are commuters so the campus life is quiet. Even though a lot of students are commuters, there is still a heavy party atmosphere on weekends for those in the dorms and the commuters who stay with friends. Food on campus is decent and the book store is over priced. The value of your degree won't be as high as most NJ universities because people never heard of Ramapo but at least you have a degree and, combined with the teaching program, it makes you more marketable.

Jorge

My time so far at Ramapo College has bee an amazing one. I've been a member of the "ramafam" since high school because of my participation in a summer camp at the college. Now a young adult, I can take complete advantage of all the amazing resources the school has to offer me.

Alyssa

Ramapo is in a beautiful area; a reservation with mountain trails and waterfalls is within walking distance. The campus is small and lovely, with a pond and spiritual center in the middle. Ramapo is home to the Krame Center, the leading center for mindfulness in the NY/NJ area, and hosts lots of free mindfulness-based events, on top of having a mindfulness club and amazing yoga teacher training program. I LOVE my mindful community at Po. Academics are good; small classes with teachers that are well educated and truly care about your learning. You can take a bus to NYC from campus for $14 round trip, about a 45 minute trip with no traffic. The population is mostly local Jersey kids. Being from out of state I didn't know a single person, and people in the states just aren't as friendly as in the islands, but I have made a few true life-long friends here. They also made it very easy for me to study away. The dining hall is not very good, especially for vegetarian/vegans, I would reccomend getting an on campus apartment with a kitchen rather than a meal plan. They have also kind of screwed me over with housing selection a couple times, but overall, I will be graduating next year and would never trade my experience at Po even if it meant snow-free college! The pros definitely outweigh the cons and I am very grateful to have found Ramapo.

Erin

When I was first graduating high school, I looked to attend Ramapo College for elementary education. Due to a scholarship, I decided I would attend a community college first but knew I would end up at Ramapo College after 2 years. The campus environment is extremely beautiful. I felt very connected to my professors and still feel like they care about preparing me to become a teacher now that I am enrolled here. Lastly, walking around on visitor day, I didn't feel like I was a visitor, I felt comfortable and I felt at home.

Because of the intimate nature of the social work school in particular, I feel very confident that I know what I need to do in order to be the most successful in my academic career at Ramapo College. I am thankful for the experience I have had thus far, and for the relationships I have formed with faculty, staff, and peers, and I think the environment Ramapo provided me with that opportunity.

Jasmine

RCNJ is a great place to learn and grow in an accepting and thriving culture. It is a campus that offers many extracurricular activities that allow students to build friendships, be in community, and broaden their horizons. Class sizes are just right in that students feel like a person and not like just another number in a room. Faculty emphasizes on communication and are readily available to assist students when needed.

Taryn

Very nice campus. Professors need to be more intelligent and understanding. Professors are often hard to reach and sometimes not helpful. Overall dorms are very nice and clean. Cable, air condition, heat, bathrooms, refrigerators and freezers as well as microwaves are included. The campus property is beautiful overlooking the mountains.

steer clear of this college if you have any sort of learning disability or if you want to major in computer science. professors are not helpful and the school as a whole does not care about its students at all. many staff that i’ve interacted with before have joked about the majority of students not graduating within 4 years because they can’t get into the classes they need. this college will find any excuse to charge you fees. it’s just a huge scam. avoid at all costs

McKenna

Despite my harsh ratings, it is a good school. It is beautiful and the people are nice but it is definitely a commuter school and completely dead on the weekends.