Branchburg, NJ
Raritan Valley Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Raritan Valley Community College

Fixed  rate loan

Brendon

Ranging from young to older people who want to get the best education they can, without falling into major debt.

I would tell myself to open up, and experiance college with an open mind. The transition from highschool life to college is day and night. You should never pass by an optertunity to experiance somthing new. Meet as many people as you can with an open mind. Join clubs and team, do your school work, and of course let loose and have a fun time. Always leave time for your school work but dont over do yourself. Make sure you set up a nap schedule, leaving time for class, work, and exercise. But most of all, keep and open mind. Freshman year of college is the best and most stressfull time of your young life so take it for all that its worth. Dont look back and regret something you passed by.

RVCC is a school for everbody. The student who attends needs to be independant, and able to organize their time efficiently in order to park and get to class on time.

Donald

As a college student, I would love the chance to tell a younger version of myself about my experience. Since I cannot do that, I have gone back to my former high school and spoke to current students there in hopes that they will have an advantage in college. If I could go back, I would tell my younger self to focus more on classes. I put in enough effort to pass my classes and rarely any more. I wish I could tell myself how difficult this would make my life in college, where I have needed to learn how to study correctly and have needed to put in more effort than ever before. I have heard that in high school the effort needed is an 80/20 split; 80 percent in class, 20 percent out of class. In college that ratio is flipped. To get good grades I have been spending 80 percent of my effort out of class to study and work on assignments, while the other 20 percent is in class taking notes and learning from the professor. I have adjusted well, though I truly wish I could tell my younger self to focus more in class.

The tuition at Raritan Valley Community College is extremely low and the grade of teaching is very high. I brag often about my tuition compared to that of friends at larger colleges who often are paying two and three times more than my per-semester tuition.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of majors available to students. While I am pursuing a mechanical engineering degree, Raritan Valley Community College lumps all engineering degrees into engineering science. This is not a major drawback for me since I plan to transfer after graduating, for some students this could be a problem as they would not have a specific degree for their pursued field.

Danielle

My school is one of the most afforable schools in my entire state. As a two-year institution and community college it provides a wonderful education for a fraction of the price. Without having the opportuinity to attend such an affordable school I may have never been a college student. I would have, like my parents, joined the work force after high school. Now as a begging to transfer out of my two-year school into a four-year university, I am feeling a great stress regaurding my future student debt. A stress I avoided in my two-year school.

School may not come easy to you, but that does not mean that you won't find success in school. It is hard work to adopt good study habits but once you take the time to do well, you will do well. Your expectations of yourself should be higher because you are smarter than you know. Whenever you take a class you should view it as an opportunity to challenge yourself. Do the best that you possibley can, and if you fall short there are always resources that you can take advantage off. There is no shame in asking for help because it means that you are smart enough to know when you need assistance and that you are brave enough to say "I need help". Half of the battle when it comes to college is attending all of your classes. As long as you are present and activly paying attention in all of your courses then you are half way to success. Openly communicating your goals and intentions to your professors or love ones will help to motivate you in achieving your goals. It can also make it much more exciting when you succeed. Carpe Diem.

julie

I chose this school my senior year due to the fact that it was a community college and I would be saving a lot of money. If one chooses to attend this school you save money and will get a great education too. If your like me, you will be able to figure out your career path with the wide array of subject choices.

Open your textbook. You aren’t really doing this now and you are getting by with A’s and B’s. Congratulations. This won’t last forever. The textbook and notes are your best friends. Use them wisely. You will be a commuter. The parking lot fills up fast so the earlier the class the better. Also, you’ll be able to beat the New York City commuter traffic on I-78. You hate the idea of commuting. Always remind yourself that you’re saving money, making friends, and learning great work ethic. You will love it later. In college there are no excuses. Homework, papers, and tests all have a due date. Class starts at a specific time…get there before the professor locks the door. You are solely responsible for your grade no one else is. You’ll find that in life there are no excuses. This is the beginning of your life. Have fun. This is important. Stress can be the biggest downfall on a person’s physical and mental state. Make sure you find time to let loose.

Commuting, I believe, was one of the worst things about the school. Its a community college so there is no housing plans. Many college students must take highways in order to get to this school if we dont beat the commuter traffic we get stuck in it.

Paul

Phi Theta Kappa - International Honors Society for two-year colleges. Student Government Association. There are many other active student groups on campus.

Unmotivated slacker who did not do well in high school or was "forced" to come to RV after getting kicked out or otherwise stopped attending a four-year school. This is accurate but only to agree. There is a diverse range of students, some of which are highly motivated, talented individuals who go on to schools like U Penn, Cornell and Colombia. Others end up dropping out.

Kristiana

Overrall, my classmates are cooperative and seem to enjoy engaging in class discussion. Most students are respectful and care deeply for thier education.

If I had the power to go back in time and speak to my high school senior self, I would tell myself to engage in more critical thinking. I would tell myself to start looking at things such as literature with more of a critical eye, and apply theory. Lastly, I would start getting use to longer hours of study.

Ellen

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that while college art classes so far have proven to be no more difficult for me than high school classes in that I do not have to put in much effort to gain an exceptional grade, there is little personal satisfaction in not applying myself to my best ability. I want to learn. I want to take these classes because I want to better my artistic ability. I would tell myself first of all to put my tendency to procrastinate behind me as soon as possible and to focus, then work on time management because they are important skills that regrettably, I lacked. I would make myself understand why I am really taking classes, doing homework and slaving over projects. It is not for the grade; not for the pass that will eventually lead to a diploma which, when boiled down to its base, is just that. It is about becoming a better artist and learning to reach my full potential. I would make sure my past self remembers that when the work piles up and it seems so harmless to simply take the easy way out.

The art teachers and the classes they teach are amazing. Classes have a fun, friendly and open atmosphere that encourages expression and creativity. I look forward to going to class and really enjoy learning. The teachers are knowledgeable and incredibly helpful and make their classes highly enjoyable.

Most days it's incredibly hard to find a parking spot during the afternoon hours . I've had to learn when I need to leave early just to have time for finding a spot close to the building my class is in , or if I'm forced to park far away, so I have time to trek to the opposite side of campus.

Kelly

I'm not sure that there is a specialty there as it is a community college. I do feel that most of the staff has well rounded backgrounds in the subjects that they teach. I like the small class sizes. The nursing program there ranks highly and its difficult to get into. The school has a long wait list to get into the nursing program.

Wow, knowing what I know now would have changed a lot. I'm now 32 and just returned to school. I was very intimidated by the thought of college when I was 18. Now that I finally built up the confidence to go it's not so bad. I never thought I could do it. Knowing what I know now and looking back it would have been so easy to attend college. Now I am rasing two children ages eight and four. I'm a class mom for the second grade and a cub scout leader. I attend classes at a community college and take care of my boys. Wow, would things have been easy when all there was to worry about was going to class. So I would have told myself back then to go for it, dont be scared it's not that bad. With any will power and self determination you can do anything you set your mind to do. Follow your dreams and dont be affraid.....what do you have to loose??

The best thing about my school is that it is close to home and allows me flexibility with my schedule. I have two young children. The college has a day care . This allows me to put my four year old there whlie I take classes. This is a great feature because it has allowed me to get started on my degree while I am home with my kids. This is so important to be able to be a mother and be able to fulfill my dreams of becoming a nurse.

Raritan is best known for being another two years of high school. Everyone in high schooled described it that way, but I completely disagree. I have felt the classes and experiences I've had were MORE worthwhile than would have had at a four-year institution. Plus, it's about a quarter of the price.

I would tell myself earnestly ,"It gets better than this." As a miserable high school senior, those words would have meant the world to me. I graduated high school with a terrible GPA and dreaded the community college it had doomed me to. If high school was a horrific holding pen filled with cruel kids, Raritan Valley Community College was someone opening the gate. The freedom of the classes, the different cultures, and the clean slate changed my life. I'm graduating this spring with a 3.7 GPA and new outlook on education in general. A member of Phi Theta Kappa, with good friends, and a dream of becoming a high school English teacher, I hope that someday I CAN have the chance to tell a kid like me, "It gets better than this."

Raritan Valley Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.